July 19, 2012: It appears that this indicator no longer works correctly, as the format of the FF calendar has been changed.
Here are three other news indicators that you might like to look at: 1 2 3
Please note: Running this indicator on a Vista or Win7 configuration may cause unpredictable results. Use at your own risk. I do not have the facilities to troubleshoot problems on either of these platforms. Please read posts #198 thru #208 here, and/or contact either Microsoft or your Windows supplier for more information.
This is the final version of the indy, and I am no longer answering questions in this thread. Reasons:
1. Increased work commitments elsewhere.
2. The indy has been running correctly for several months now. Most questions seem to be due to Vista or Win7 vagaries.
3. In many cases, I seem to be typing the same tired old answers repeatedly. If your questions aren't answered in the instructions provided, please feel welcome to read the posts in the thread, and experiment with the settings yourself.
4. Please note that the indy is FREE, and is therefore supplied on an 'as is, take-it-or-leave-it, use-at-your-own-risk' basis.
Latest release: v 3.03, Aug 30, 2010.
1. Download and unzip the News v303.ZIP file into your MT4 folder, unzipping the files within to the relevant sub-folders, and overwriting any existing files of the same name.
2. Restart MT4.
3. Run the Calc Timeshifts.EX4 script if you wish to have the time offsets calculated automatically for you.
For further instructions, additional information, screenshots, release history, etc, please read the 'Operating instructions' document (it's in the ZIP file).
Release 3.10 --- May 16, 2011
Version 3.10 includes:
--- all of the functions available in v3.03 (please read the instruction manual in the News v303.ZIP file, before posting questions)
--- ability to plot both the circular symbols and rolling window in a separate sub-window
--- ability to filter events by their description
--- a script that converts news events in @[email protected] to GMT+X timestamp, auto-adjusting for daylight saving
--- a weekly reminder to run FFcal.EXE (credit to pips4life for this; however, I prefer to run it at least twice daily )
--- zip file of news events from 1 Jan 2007 thru 22 Oct 2011 (unzip into .../experts/files folder, overwriting any existing files)
Recent News v310 indy (download into ...../experts/indicators folder) --- new parameters:
- TRUE = plots both the circular symbols and rolling window in the main chart window, exactly as before. Note that v3.10 must create a new sub-window regardless, due to MT4 idiosyncrasies. Drag the separator to make this empty sub-window as small as possible (or use v 3.03 instead)
- FALSE = plots both the circular symbols and rolling window in a separate chart sub-window. Use VertSpacingPips, SymbolSize, etc to adjust symbol spacing (and/or drag MT4's between-widow separator), and ShowUpcomingXEvents, EventCorner, EventFontSize, etc to likewise adjust the rolling window of impending events.
These parameters are 4 independent tests that allow filtering of news events by description.
All fields are case-insensitive and, if left blank, perform no filtering (i.e. are ignored).
Note that all other filters (e.g. PlotTheseCurrencies, PlotTheseImpacts, etc) must also be met, in order for an event to be plotted, displayed, exported, etc (depending on other parameter settings)
- If the text in the news event description (e.g. "GDP") matches ANY one of the 4 filter parameters, then the event passes the test (i.e. think "OR" condition), and will be plotted, displayed, exported, etc
- You can create multiple (up to 20) conditions in each parameter, separated by vertical bars (|), ALL of which must be met in order for the event to pass this part of the test (i.e. think "AND" condition).
- You can precede a component condition by a tilde (~), which means that the following text must NOT be present in the event description
Example: If you set the parameters as follows:
then the only news events that will be output will be:
(1) any event that contains the text "FARM" (any mix of upper/lowercase) and also the text "PAYR", anywhere in its description, but NOT the text "ADP";
(2) any event that contains the text "GDP"
Presets---Recent News.TXT file (download into ...../experts/files folder) --- needed for compatibility with Recent News v310 indicator.
Weekly Plot_News reminder.mq4 indy (download into ...../experts/indicators folder) --- if required
Convert to GMT.mq4 script (download into ...../experts/scripts folder) --- if required
This will read all of the news events in the file ....../experts/files/@[email protected] (or whatever your InputFile entry is)
and re-timestamp them into the output file ....../experts/files/@[email protected] (or whatever your OutputFile entry is)
according to your ShiftToGMTPlus parameter entry.
The script assumes that all events in FF calendar are New York time, and that New York is GMT-4 when observing daylight saving time, and GMT-5 when it's not. All of this is correct, as far as I know.
It also assumes that the InputFile already exists in ....../experts/files. [Note: FFcal.EXE re-creates the ....../experts/files/@[email protected] file of all events in its database (the CALENDAR.* files) each time it is run].
It then re-timestamps the events to GMT+X hours, where X is the value that you enter in ShiftToGMTPlus. This value may be positive, negative (for GMT-X), decimal (e.g. 9.5 = 9 hours 30 mins), and/or greater than 24 if you want to shift by more than a whole day.
The process should take a few seconds only, and a message pop-up will appear when it's complete.
Release 3.11 --- November 20, 2011
Version 3.11 includes:
--- Everything in v3.10
--- Popup calendars now run Sun-->Sat (in keeping with the FF calendar) instead of Mon-->Sun
--- Calendar files now include (FF calendar-based) news events from 1 Jan 2007 thru 19 Nov 2011
Unzip the News Setup v311.ZIP file to obtain the installer program NewsSetup.EXE. Run this program and follow the on-screen instructions.
See the user manual (News Indicator v 3 - operating instructions.doc) for more information. It will be located in your MT4 folder.
MT4 Indicators/EAs by Hanover:
Recent Strength — display line-based plot of weighted average of currency (as opposed to pair) strength
Recent Prices — display line-based plots of any combo of pairs/timeframes on your current chart, to compare their relative strength
Recent Candles — display candles of any combo of pairs/timeframes on your current chart
Recent SR — auto-plot horizontal support/resistance lines based on a wide variety of settings
Recent News — display upcoming and/or historical news announcements from FF calendar; countdown/alert upcoming announcements
Daily Lines/Boxes — auto-plot horizontal or vertical lines, boxes, symbols on user-defined times, days of the week, etc
Display Info all pairs — display spread, daily range, dollars/pip, swap rates etc for all pairs
Spaced Lines — auto-plot horizontal lines on your charts
Stealth Master EA — hide your SL and TP from unscrupulous br0kers!
Do-it-yourself alerts builder kit — code template that you can copy/paste that will add pop-up and/or e-mail alerts to most 'standard' indicators