Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Trading Equipment (Hardware, Software) (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=984873)

EF5 Apr 28, 2020 9:36pm | Post# 41

Get ANY computer.. ANYTHING right now on the market its more than ok get a GOOD resolution screen IF you can afford it, if you cant IT DOESNT MATTER !! get a GOOD internet connection with a LOW PING with YOUR broker !!! "Speed" doesnt matter, its all about ping/latency PERIOD.. the lower the better (Satellite internet tends to lag with everything) thats it.. thats all you need to trade, that and your brain, anything else its just fancy crap that wont give you and "edge" dont waste money on that!! instead put it in your trading account so you can...
I think this is generally very good advice.

auricforecas May 9, 2020 5:30pm | Post# 42

Guys, do any of you have any insight about the latest comparison between financial terminals/tools... I have just checked some latest trading fund (that was presented on YT) and yeah they have the bloombergs but I wonder how much do they actually use it... I think they overused it, meaning too many terminals, I mean almost janitor had it I believe it became somewhat a status symbol like you had to have it to look "legit"...

Well one think that I like about bloomberg in particular is this TANKER service... where you can see tankers, location and everything... but that can be found (for free even) in other places also... it is just good to have everything in one place and have it "verified" or reliable.. And I know about the 80s look that some complained.. but I find it better because top notch things are sometimes lagging behind the current "modern" era (at least visually).. but they do work and are tested AF... Similar to hardware... some of the top military/financial tools look dated AF but they do WORK in insane conditions... I also prefer tested things in trading that is why I am extremely reluctant to change/add brokers and I prefer not to do it unless I absolutely have to.. For trading I have similar platforms, in parallel.. For example latest OS have some bugs so I have older OS in parallel (boot)... I man UPTIME of OS is just INSANE! I also use WIN10 (it is funny, they are basically free now) and Android... About iphones... just love the new SE but I still flirt with the 8 since it was tested AF already... They seem very similar but the new CHIP A13 might be better and might consume less in "normal" conditions but at high performance it can drain battery sooner, not to mention unknown improvements that could be buggy.. So again, military and finance seems to be similar in that era... Some things that have to be reliable AF.. looks dates... I had "prejudice" about ThinkPads for example, they looked OLD to me af... was thinking it is just a "IBM" (era) hype... (leftover), until I checked it closely about the military grade, reliability and specially lovely keyboard... now I can't look anything else... just love the keyboard... and overall... even though Lenovo logo looks like Supreme.. which I think it is kinda "lame" with that square (paintshop style) red background, but moth have established value/image beyond belief, so it is good now

Anyone checked Eikon (Reuters) yet? Seems powerful at a fraction of cost... but has to be tested in all conditions etc...

From my observation, for FX might not be so useful (specially at that price) but much more for OIL for example... since they have some good tools.. But I think it could be a good tool for stocks and for higher AUM since it connects (as in all integrated, synced, tested, verified) to prime brokerage better, right?
Would love to hear more about this Bloomberg/Eikon terminals/tools.. Some of you already provided some good insights but would love to hear more

Well for sure I can not justify 2k/month yet but would like to know where its strong point is and ACTUAL possible RETURN of investment... apart of the "image" and for "ritual" purposes since every industry has some totem anyway So is the bloomberg/eikon really only worth for stocks and when you have at least 10mio+ AUM, more likely 100m+?

BTW I know that in certain industries they have expensive tools because they "have to have them", to show they are "in the game", in tune with times etc... but in reality they use old-school, almost ancient, tools... And yeah, since fin industry, specially hedge fund is not the most trusted game, I bet all the tools/glory help, right But I hope there is more to it, so please "SELL" it to me I use certain paid databases for some other purposes and I do find that some are hyped, some live on past glory and some are extremely useful... So would like to get "the picture" in this markets that we trade also.. so for fx, gold, WTI, BTC etc... Would there be any real use of those tools or would the use become in play for stocks and other markets or at higher money (commission) games only? Tnx

BTW.. funny real life example... I was introduced by many tools (in somewhat different industry.. but can be useful for stock trading also since many valuable info about companies/products) and the guys told us (off the record) that basically they unofficially use google But officially they promote their platform It is just that good for many things so would like to here honest real life insights of some of you that do use such tools...

Also I think I would get Bloomberg at some AUM level, just in case I am not missing something and for "the show", if nothing else Yeah, show is important in this industry... If some wizard would make too much of a return in a garage, they would bring him for questioning, no doubt So has to look at least plausible right Some joke, or not, you be the judge;D

Also, there were some changes in the industry... HFs etc.. do much more of their own research vs ordering it at IBs and for example... And certain bank said they will drop bloombergs... So would like to know if they are (still) worth the money? Industry changed a lot already.. so am wondering... specially that enormous price... Not to mention brokers and not to mention some banks provide some epic tools and informations already... for no extra fee..

But with all being said, I am aware of the benefits of the power of some data/tool providers, at least for certain industries... just not sure this is one of them I mean, besides of what can we get already, maybe for no additional cost... So please provide some insights, without exposing your possible edge of course

auricforecas May 10, 2020 9:05pm | Post# 43

2 Attachment(s)
Guys, do any of you have any insight about the latest comparison between financial terminals/tools... I have just checked some latest trading fund (that was presented on YT) and yeah they have the bloombergs but I wonder how much do they actually use it... I think they overused it, meaning too many terminals, I mean almost janitor had it I believe it became somewhat a status symbol like you had to have it to look "legit"... Well one think that I like about bloomberg in particular is this TANKER service... where you can see tankers, location...
Well speaking off... Finished watching latest episode (05x02) of Billions (2016-) and they do still use Bloombergs (with dual monitors on a chrome plated stand) and some apple airs, and iphones but I have (also) noticed/identified Microsoft Surface Studio 2 (hardware) and was that Thomson Reuters Eikon that I saw by any chance? Either strong product placement (of course) but maybe they are also "up with times" since they do their research and have many "insiders" aka consultants Just my thoughts... And not to mention the main character had the "breakthrough", by "identifying" that being a bank(er) is far superior to Hedge Fund(er) since you have (gov) WIND in the BACK vs always watching your back.. as he reasoned Amazing series... I kinda lost hopes with the narrative basically in the last SeasonS (plural).. but if it continues to go this road (HF->BANKING)... I may be very! interested! I always loved the banking (side)... I mean... money making money side, as they say... In short, he reasoned that being THE HOUSE (the bank) is far superior, just in case trading is gambling as many believe And yeah, "The House" rarely loses right

So can anyone identify/confirm the Tools/Software they are using (in below screenshots)? Looks Eikon to me... Maybe Taylor's team uses Eikon and Axe's team still uses Bloombergs? So together they are complete/hedged?
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 03.04.39.png
Size: 823 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 03.08.23.png
Size: 834 KB

auricforecas May 14, 2020 12:57pm | Post# 44

Found some interesting videos/comparions on Bloomberg vs Eikon...

I must say that some guys in the comments have some nice points... Just a few to mention:

Bloomberg:

1. The "80s" (signature/trademark) look of Bloomberg is said to be preferred or used to.. Because either traders are used to it or it seems more PRO.. like more financial or even military... (have you seen insides of the (not so old even) fighter JETS for example or space station? Disaster, if you want to be fancy.. but things work there... which is what it is (or should be) all about, right.
  2. There is messenger service inside Bloomberg that alone might be worth the buck, because... any (social) network is about the CRITICAL MASS... technology/interface and everything else is 2nd in importance at best... Like FB etc.. there are many better platforms but what use do you have if people (you want) are not on them.. So Bloomberg have the "monopoly" here almost... since many guys are there...
  3. Info (that could be found) elsewhere is in one place, verified and you have the support to check things out or complain if something is not good or to verify...

Eikon:

1. Strong brand behind it... very powerful News service...
  2. New, modern interface (but it then looks almost like everything else
  3. Cheaper
  4. Maybe they will "try better" at support etc..

So my "conclusion" is that if I could, would use both . If I would have to choose, would choose Bloomberg due to their drilled platform, support and to be in the game... for their messenger service... (and "insides craigslist" ) BTW have checked BIllions series again and it seems "the main guys" still uses Bloombergs while the new guys, more IT focused guys.. are using something else... probably Eikon, not sure.. but they use it on MS Surface Studio 2...

I would prefer if there would be more, better and cheaper options though.. but atm... it would seem that I would be "forced" to use Bloombergs... So looking forward to it, should things (continue) to go well .

Would love to hear from the guys that are actually using (or have used) Bloomberg, Eikon or something similar... Please contribute your thoughts...

© Forex Factory