Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Trading Equipment (Hardware, Software) (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=984873)

auricforecas Mar 6, 2020 11:46am | Post# 1

Trading Equipment (Hardware, Software)

For moderator: I believe this thread can be cross for FF/MM/EE/CC since it is universal..

Would like to know what tools you use to trade.. Meaning HARDWARE. You can discuss software also.

For me, mobile phone is essential... But I must tell you that I struggle view overview in mobiel.. no matter what I do, even If I remote connect to desktop...
I can not "see" the market as clear as I do in desktop/laptop, when I can switch timeframes/views fast, draw lines, curves etc...

MOBILE Trading (on the "road")
So for me the best combo is some good SMARTPHONE (not to heavy, important in the longrun, so about 150g or less would be ideal) and some ULTRABOOK (about 1kg or around 2bls tops.. with a good battery.. thin AF... and screen I find 14" to be optimal.. Pretty much that is most that I need for REAL trading, anytime, anywhere... It's crazy how airplanes now have wifi, even mobile net directly in case wifi doesn't work (which I find it is not rare, at least in my case)... I just can't trade as efficiently from mobile alon... Feel like I am blindfolded... Maybe because I use other platforms apart from MT4 that is GOOD (tech way) but I just do not get its charts/view so much...

Home/Work Trading
I find it is best to have both... WIN a MAC systems... WIN because many more programs are compatible DIRECTLY, without some emulator or cross whatever..
But MAC is reliable AF which is good in case if used with some WEB based software or for MAC... Also love the failover internet connection, at least 3... Some land options, mobile and even satellite... Depends what your %/trade is but lost connection can cost much even if only ONCE per whatever... Not to mention lag...

REAL DEAL (Server/Datacenter) style...
I love this Find best combo is the SERVER (prop) when THE CORE (of the "model") is stored... But VPS/DPS/Datacenter/Cloud can be used for all the rest...
Load balancing, backup, redundancy, calcs, modelling... Failovers... Emergency protocols in case of lost connection. Double checking or whatever..

Hardware/Software (Companies/Brands)
I do not want to make any commercials etc... but my criteria is a HIGHLY reliable hardware form KNOWN brands... But am also open for some OMG specs from unknown/developing brands... but would just have to be more careful...

BTW Macs have limitations, mainly for win programs but they have INSANE uptimes But also forced to have many OS options

--
So what do you guys use? Or would like to have? Your dream (mobile/desktop/server) setup?
Oh yeah, I also think there are no such thing as too many screens/monitors when possible

InfinitySL Mar 7, 2020 11:01pm | Post# 2

1 Attachment(s)
I just built a new rig for (mainly) trading in December.

Specs:
AsRock x570 Steel Legend motherboard
32gb RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 970 m.2 Hard Drive (use a Synology NAS for larger storage)
Ryzen 3800x (stock cooler)
EVGA GeForce 2070 Super
The monitors I already had but i'm rocking a LG 32" 4k center monitor flanked by two Asus 25" monitors running 1440p
Windows 10

For software I have several brokers, but I prefer TradeStation (in pic) for charting and Ameritrade/ThinkOrSwim for execution. I also have accounts @ Oanda & InteractiveBrokers but I'm probably winding those down to consolidate. I don't trade on mobile, but i have a Samsung Note 10+. If i need to check a chart in a meeting I use TradingView.

I know...My cable management could use a little work :-P
Click to Enlarge

Name: desk.jpg
Size: 583 KB

EF5 Mar 8, 2020 3:12am | Post# 3

I just built a new rig for (mainly) trading in December. Specs: AsRock x570 Steel Legend motherboard 32gb RAM 1TB Samsung EVO 970 m.2 Hard Drive (use a Synology NAS for larger storage) Ryzen 3800x (stock cooler) EVGA GeForce 2070 Super The monitors I already had but i'm rocking a LG 32" 4k center monitor flanked by two Asus 25" monitors running 1440p Windows 10 For software I have several brokers, but I prefer TradeStation (in pic) for charting and Ameritrade/ThinkOrSwim for execution. I also have accounts @ Oanda & InteractiveBrokers but I'm probably...
That's a serious set up you have.

Is that a Bloomberg keyboard I see?

ChilledT Mar 8, 2020 4:02am | Post# 4

Broker's MT4 on iPhone & Macbook Air.

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 5:55am | Post# 5

I just built a new rig for (mainly) trading in December. Specs: AsRock x570 Steel Legend motherboard 32gb RAM 1TB Samsung EVO 970 m.2 Hard Drive (use a Synology NAS for larger storage) Ryzen 3800x (stock cooler) EVGA GeForce 2070 Super The monitors I already had but i'm rocking a LG 32" 4k center monitor flanked by two Asus 25" monitors running 1440p Windows 10 For software I have several brokers, but I prefer TradeStation (in pic) for charting and Ameritrade/ThinkOrSwim for execution. I also have accounts @ Oanda & InteractiveBrokers but I'm probably...
Very nice! Could you please tell us more of the use of the keyboard keyboard (or terminal) in FX, Metals, Energies... I have been flirting with it but I do not know if there would be any real advantage? Very interested, if you can share with us.

{quote} That's a serious set up you have. Is that a Bloomberg keyboard I see?
It definitely is Was just curious myself if he uses the "full" terminal or just the keyboard.

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 6:19am | Post# 6

Well I use mac os and win. Well yea sure I have installed MT4(s) in Mac (with PlayOnMac, Wine) also but you know, I prefer to have it where it works best, in my belief, so in Win.. Just seems easier to update and everything. Although Mac has INSANE uptime and practically "virus free"... (or let's say considerable less prone to it).

Software/web:
I use OANDAs FxTrade (Desktop, WEB and Mobile versions) that are pretty much platform-indepedant. I also use MT4 with OANDA (For EA purpose).. Flirting with their Algo Lab and might switch from MQL4 if needed. For other brokers (FxPro, Octa, ICmarkets,...) I use MT4 (mobile, desktop and web) and also cTrader (web).

longer
So far I love the web based versions and use them as much as I can... Use MT4 in paralell. For mobile i use MT4 and FxTrade. MT4 basicaly just for paralel trades but for overview I use FxTrade most and that is for mobile and desktop setup. I just seem to read (as I started with it) charts (actual, history trades) in fxtrade best. I just can't seem to read MT4 "on the road" aka mobile as good... And what's more, no mater what I view I set in mobile (and that goes for fxtrade too), even if remote connect to Win/mac comp for a full/desktop view.. I can't seem to "see" the market on that small screen.. At least for greater overview, but it works for some smaller timeframes of course. Therefore I am a firm believer on some "lightweight" smartphone (150g or so) + lightweight (about 1kg or 2lbs laptop) combo, for at least more serious trading on the go... Mobile for tracking or even enter but laptop/desktop view for a better overview of the market so that entries/exits can be seen/planned better. At least that was it my case. And I have also noticed some traders have problems trading mobile. Some even have "a rule" like "never trade mobile" I made quite some good trader during mobile so I love to have that option, but just want to check at times how the trade/market is going.

Hardware..
(non-apple) Laptop with Win, iMac, Desktop with Win with 2 monitors, low(er) weight (although above 150g... I notice the difference to previous one so will most probably buy lighter soon) smartphone with android.

What I am looking for to get:
Was quite a fan of macbook air but due to some circumstances Carbon x1 (prefer 7th generation, better logo position also) came to my attention and it is insanely nice... Very light, "quiet" key-strokes vs air, tested AF (military grade)... For mobile many say (for fxtrade at least) apple just got it better, and I heard that from samsung/android fans. And since I have been using mobile quite a lot, notices the weight does make a difference. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is no joke... Haven't got it myself but noticed some problems when using mobile too much (and yes every 10g can make a lot of difference in the long run). So I think about 150g would fit best which leaves us with iphone 7 - love the jet black (138g) and 8 - 148g ("normal", not plus). From new phones (android) there I am glad there are still some "lightweight" but still good screen smartphones. Would love the new fold/flex phones if they wouldn't weight so much!
Not sure I would get another iMac in the future since there were some changes, will have to test, but again, so far impressed AF with the uptime. That is why I also like tested things, "military grade" or some tools that have been tested a lot and in all sorts of conditions. That is why I'm also flirting with bloomberg (terminal) because I know if something minor would be an issue, they would fix it asap since milliseconds count (nanos in fact). Also looking for this crazy curved 44" monitors right now, they seem nice... Not sure if they are for sure better than 2 or 3 separate monitors... For more "server" setup I prefer VPS/DPS since taking care of security is a nightmare (backups, fail-overs, uptime, not that easy either if we are talking top notch uptime, reliability, redundancy etc), if one has to be really careful.. Therefore I use as much web/cloud as I can. But the best combo is to keep CORE/juice of the EA for example in ON PREMISE, but put the rest ON DEMAND
Also trades can be "encrypted"/randomised so that people can not reverse engineer "the strategy" out of Trade history/list So can have best of all worlds.

So does anyone recommend some good reliable smartphone around 150g AND with good battery life WHILE screen is somewhat around/above 5"? So far iphone 8 seems to be the safest choice (the newer ones weight too much for my taste) but battery is not the best. Although never had problem with androids so far (samsung and less known brands...). Checked some xiaomi models that seem to provide good weight, battery and screen combo. Also was checking google pixel 3a since I do a lot of google products anyway. What do you guys think?

InfinitySL Mar 8, 2020 10:13am | Post# 7

{quote} Very nice! Could you please tell us more of the use of the keyboard keyboard (or terminal) in FX, Metals, Energies... I have been flirting with it but I do not know if there would be any real advantage? Very interested, if you can share with us. {quote} It definitely is Was just curious myself if he uses the "full" terminal or just the keyboard.
The keybaord in front is just a standard semi-mechanical keyboard: Cooler Master (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/D...set-ms120.html)

The Bloomberg Keyboard actually is quite terrible, they keys have horrible feedback. The only benefit is that it has the fingerprint reader on it so I can login to Bloomberg without using their other security system. And in case you're wondering, I work for a company that gives me access... I don't have $2k/mo lying around to pay Bloomberg for access to the terminal.

As for phones, the Samsung Galaxy s10 is 157g. I had the S9 before upgrading to the note 10+ and it's nice and small in the hand, although once you put a case on it the size starts to bulk up...OnePlus also makes smaller phones I believe but I have never used one myself.

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 10:45am | Post# 8

{quote} The keybaord in front is just a standard semi-mechanical keyboard: Cooler Master (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/D...set-ms120.html) The Bloomberg Keyboard actually is quite terrible, they keys have horrible feedback. The only benefit is that it has the fingerprint reader on it so I can login to Bloomberg without using their other security system. And in case you're wondering, I work for a company that gives me access... I don't have $2k/mo lying around to pay Bloomberg for access to the terminal....
Much tnx for that answer... What about the actual bloomberg terminal. Do you think it is useful for fx, metals, energies.. I mean if one is trading only in those? Any REAL benefits apart of better feel, like quicker access to info or more comfort, reliability or whatever... Would really like to "justify" it, but can not atm At least at my strategies. Maybe for higher volume trades, better access/sync to liquidity (primer brokerage etc)?. I thought that keyboard in front was from the Legion or Mad Catz series, they have quite similar. Tnx for the s10 info, was already checking it out...In fact, was just looking at Samsung Galaxy S10e. I do not use/like cases so its good. I prefer to stick to more known brands, just because of the (expected) reliability that is most important for me. Also seems it has nice battery. Hope I can realistically expect 16h+ out of it, so I don't need to bring charger all the time.

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 11:30am | Post# 9

4 Attachment(s)
"SERVER"... Oh and, maybe some will find funny but I noticed that GAMING designed comps/servers are EXCELENT for TRADING
So I think CARBON X1 on the GO, some "lightweight" smartphone like iphone8/samsung10e and for desktop/home/office, hard to beat the GAMING specs... like LEGION for example or whatever your preferred (top) brand is.
Well also, for LOAD balancing, backup or whatever... would "advise"/have one mac os due to extreme uptime (and not that many "mandatory" updates for example as in the case of WIN when you risk it all goes to s.. after and update.. amazingly that still happens, it is also official)... Plus blah some UPS (battery) for tower/server.

For "DESKTOP" I really love overall feel of the LEGION series for example (the whole thing... from design (for the purpose), performance, reliability, "turnkey" solution(s) etc.. Although it may look out of place (fin wise), specially with lights, for a professional setup, but it works good AF . I heard.

I just built a new rig for (mainly) trading in December. Specs: AsRock x570 Steel Legend motherboard 32gb RAM 1TB Samsung EVO 970 m.2 Hard Drive (use a Synology NAS for larger storage) Ryzen 3800x (stock cooler) EVGA GeForce 2070 Super The monitors I already had but i'm rocking a LG 32" 4k center monitor flanked by two Asus 25" monitors running 1440p Windows 10 For software I have several brokers, but I prefer TradeStation (in pic) for charting and Ameritrade/ThinkOrSwim for execution. I also have accounts @ Oanda & InteractiveBrokers but I'm probably winding those down to consolidate. I don't trade on mobile, but i have a Samsung Note 10+. If i need to check a chart in a meeting I use TradingView. I know...My cable management could use a little work :-P {image}
Click to Enlarge

Name: desk.jpg
Size: 593 KB
Your setup (above) immediately remind me of this (below), yes, mainly due to keyboard+GEFORCE, fan, colors etc... I think I might try this... At least as a "back"-trading . Seems like (no bull...) real deal setup, cables and all, so no wireless lag/wake-up/problems etc. Specially at trading (around) news, every ms counts. Hah, just noticed you actually made a picture while typing your (above) post, EPIC! Noticed FF forum on right monitor and then my actual username/post Nice man. BTW are those "burners" on top of the rack? Jk #billions reference
You seem to be very practical/action guy
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 16.47.46.png
Size: 1.7 MB
Although for this below seems more "business", more "pro" or better show, "clean", "no" cables etc (until you plug laptop(s) Although still capable AF
Click to Enlarge

Name: comp.jpg
Size: 42 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 16.46.33.png
Size: 702 KB
In fact would have both setups. One for "front", one for "back" . And not even starting with wall screens, projections etc, might do later.
But that above would be (initial) REAL DEAL setup by my specs at least

FUN FACT: In games responsiveness (focus on graphic, ability to run large programs) etc are as important as in market quotes and charts, so gaming (specs) comps are very good for trading. In fact, you can have an "excuse" to buy GAMING comp which you can look as an (at least partial) investment, if you are serious about trading. And can play games when market it close as a side product Nice, right Nothing better when you can "sell" (at least to yourself) and idea that you are INVESTING in something vs. SPENDING for it

InfinitySL Mar 8, 2020 4:32pm | Post# 10

Funny you included that 3-monitor setup -- I used to have the 3x those 25" ASUS monitors, but one of them was giving me issues so i swapped it out for the LG. Truthfully i don't really love using a 4k monitor for trading, it almost makes the text/etc too small. I love the size/look of the 25" @ 2560x1440 nice balance between lots of pixels and readable text.

Bloomberg is essential if you're trading Fixed Income or complex derivatives but if you're just doing standard TA trading on Forex/stocks it's not going to do much for you that a regular broker's software can't do. Also @ $2k/month you need to have several million in AUM for it to make sense. Imagine having "only" $1mm vs. a $24k/year system expense? -2.4% of performance right off the bat before you've even made your first trade!!

Re: the picture -- Yup, that's my set up... Complete with notebook/Journal in front, newspaper, Ipad Mini, and another cell phone in the background.... If you look closely you can see a piece of scrap paper where i had a couple trades I needed to close out on Friday. lol. Sorry I didn't clean up better for you guys! hahaha. And actually yes, those are old cell phones... no service on them though. But a cracked screen and a phone from 3yrs ago.

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 5:01pm | Post# 11

6 Attachment(s)
Funny you included that 3-monitor setup -- I used to have the 3x those 25" ASUS monitors, but one of them was giving me issues so i swapped it out for the LG. Truthfully i don't really love using a 4k monitor for trading, it almost makes the text/etc too small. I love the size/look of the 25" @ 2560x1440 nice balance between lots of pixels and readable text. Bloomberg is essential if you're trading Fixed Income or complex derivatives but if you're just doing standard TA trading on Forex/stocks it's not going to do much for you that a regular broker's...
Man, I love your response and insides, feedback (about 4K etc and all the details that one gets to know with (heavy) usage).. In fact we were discussing about 2 vs 3 monitor setup and I "reasoned" at the time that DUAL monitor (about 23" inches) are about the best setup possible because I reasoned that this setup has been drilled/skilled through real SEAT through the market (and after) even tick by tick AND also as Billions show was praised as being the most real as of yet (for hedge funds at least) and that they have done their research (yeah, there is also heavy product placement but still... - btw one episode was dedicated basically on how everything is/was hackable but the bloomberg terminal - I thought that was over the board but I know they have to make some drama - but yeah, I didn't appreciate it since they were underestimating the viewers "a little" - till that moment I almost compared them to what Mr.Robot was for "IT"). We also had discussion about those 44" and I have received mixed review (as being to wide etc... So basically your response pretty much confirmed or re-affirmed what I was suspecting. Much tnx..

BTW I love your desk as it is, it shows (at least to me) that you are a serious trader and/or a PRO.. If the desk would be clean (too much) I would be suspicious

I love that bloomberg terminals have been tested over decades basically with much feedback from real traders etc.. that need top notch everything... so kinda surprised about your keyboard experience. Did you maybe got the fauly one or are all like that.. BTW just saw how RGB keyboards (maybe even yours) can be programmed to basically server similar function to bloomberg terminal, so coloring certain keys (via software) etc.. Do you use it for that purpose also?
Also your GEFORE strong AG! Your specs are gaming style Does it help, a lot?
Click to Enlarge

Name: v6gv5q5s2z131.png
Size: 346 KBClick to Enlarge

Name: Billions_Shaw_set_396.jpg
Size: 1.5 MB

This is what "Gekko" "used" in WS2 in London... Will find the "home" edition that he had in NYC, in WS2 also..
Click to Enlarge

Name: o1AJ9qDyyJNSpZWhUgGYc3MngFqoAN4KJgrsduheegJ2TYes8.jpeg
Size: 139 KB

Gekko "back" in NYC's apartment
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 22.05.10.png
Size: 618 KB
his apprentice in his own nyc apartment (later sold (apartment used for movie) to someone famous, was it paul?)
Name:  a74c4d68066f005a873f4f3ef0e1e59a.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  42 KB

Me personally think dual monitor setup seems optimal or even 3... Haven't tested that 44" curved yet so don't know, but seems nice but I also am aware that must be tested and it is up to everyone... But apart of that, I don't think there are such a thing (at least for me) as too many monitor/screens/screen-walls Would love to heave "war room" style room With many automation (what/where gets displayed at certain times/news/alerts). So basically 2-3 are for REAL-time operation others for info you might need or it helps but you do not look all the time... But switching between 2-3 monitors happen much often so it is good to have real usable setup.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  25 KB

Anyway, appreciated your effort and to show us your "insides" You got me interested. So might check your other threads/posts also

Erebus Mar 8, 2020 5:04pm | Post# 12

1 Attachment(s)
Broker's MT4 on iPhone & Macbook Air.
Ageed, since he already said he is an Apple fanboy

I have MT5 on the 12.9 iPad Pro

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 7.33.53 am.png
Size: 211 KB

auricforecas Mar 8, 2020 5:28pm | Post# 13

{quote} Ageed, since he already said he is an Apple fanboy I have MT5 on the 12.9” iPad Pro {image}
Interesting! I might consider it... I didn't get the ipad idea before, kinda missed the keyboard and all... also at least some trackpad etc.. But now that they added the beautiful keyboard, I might test it Love the low weight! This weight is a killer when one has to travel etc... so I look how to get read of any unnecessary weight
Would love the idea since this Pro seems to be almost HALF the weight of 14" ultrabook... Basically my default option was AIR before until some real "geeks" (apple fans) said that they basically must admit that X1 is extraordinary good (and quieter - key stroke wise, which is also something I look for, for mobile reasons also)

Do you use keyboard (and pencil) a lot or use it as "regular" iPad (so typing on screen)? I basically just need to switch between timeframes, but would also love to write something with pencil Have to test it now man, you got me excited. But pls do report more about your experience. I might just as well switch to apple only, for travel like iphone8+ipad pro... Also would love to have same brand/design if possible (also that I am sure that everything surely works together if needed), that is one reason more to add the combo, if it would come out nice. Some compatibilities can be a nightmare even If one doesn't expect it at this age. So if possible, would have something that was tested AF and one thing that maybe can help is to have from same manufacturer And can always remote connect to Win comp also

EF5 Mar 8, 2020 11:02pm | Post# 14

What about the actual bloomberg terminal. Do you think it is useful for fx, metals, energies.. I mean if one is trading only in those?
One thing I really like about Bloomberg terminals is their data. They have a ton of different indicies and indicators I've never managed to find elsewhere. Aside from that, a lot of what they offer can be found elsewhere for cheaper or even free. I don't think they're worth 2K per month for most private traders. As InfinitySL astutely pointed out, that's like taking a 2.4% loss on a million-dollar account so its a tough expense to justify. Bloomberg might help my trading but not by 2.4%.

Was quite a fan of macbook air but due to some circumstances Carbon x1 (prefer 7th generation, better logo position also) came to my attention and it is insanely nice... Very light, "quiet" key-strokes vs air, tested AF (military grade)...
I do everything off a laptop and lately I've been eyeing the Carbon x1 myself. I'm not sure it's the best laptop on the market, but I LOVE ThinkPad keyboards. I haven't tried the Carbon x1 so I hope they haven't changed it.

Erebus Mar 8, 2020 11:25pm | Post# 15

{quote} Interesting! I might consider it... I didn't get the ipad idea before, kinda missed the keyboard and all... also at least some trackpad etc.. But now that they added the beautiful keyboard, I might test it Love the low weight! This weight is a killer when one has to travel etc... so I look how to get read of any unnecessary weight Would love the idea since this Pro seems to be almost HALF the weight of 14" ultrabook... Basically my default option was AIR before until some real "geeks" (apple fans) said that they basically...
No pencil or keyboard here, just my FatFinger, its enough for the trolling I do

Good luck

auricforecas Mar 9, 2020 11:21am | Post# 16

{quote} One thing I really like about Bloomberg terminals is their data. They have a ton of different indicies and indicators I've never managed to find elsewhere. Aside from that, a lot of what they offer can be found elsewhere for cheaper or even free. I don't think they're worth 2K per month for most private traders. As InfinitySL astutely pointed out, that's like taking a 2.4% loss on a million-dollar account so its a tough expense to justify. Bloomberg might help my trading but not by 2.4%. {quote} I do everything off a laptop and lately I've...
Tnx about the bloomberg terminal feedback, yeah kinda thought so... But I wanted to se others people opinion in case I have missed something... It appears bloomberg would be good for other "higher" games, when bigger AUM is in play... Would say 100AUM+ would be the number it would really maybe start to pay off...

About the Carbon x1, yeah man, this is exactly what convinced me the most... The keyboard, in fact I love that it seems (according to clip) quiter than air, which I like a lot for certain travel/mobile reasons... Also it appears lighter (at list certain specs) and that supposedly comes from the apple fan (in the clip) so it got me thinking...
Also must admit that wasn't into thinks before since they looked "old" to me but then later found out that it was by purpose, similar to benz g-class until recently...
But yeah, both have modernised the design much and I love the design now... Here is the clip, where you can find interesting keyboard quality test for any (laptop?) keyboard... But yeah it comes down to personal taste, I like laptops as light as possible, slim, "low profile", quiet keyboard... and as long battery life as possible...
14" seems the compromise on the go and also love the realisability, military grade (yeah I know the term is abused or misrepresented maybe at some products/brands but still).. I also believe it was testes in real life so many times, by people that are the picky... That is why I also check what the industry (top) are using... I remembered "back in the day" when there was one phone that worked best for MT4.. I think it was win phone... So that is my final cross-check, the industry feedback, that is why I just love the reply from InfinitySL... Also yours. Do you or did work on bloombergs (daily)? Didn't know that. I know for them for a long time, also their services and all but never justified the costs.. at least for FX.. But hope someday I can use it in HF as AUM, sitting on AUM, getting that "norm" It's funny mutual guys dream returns while HF etc dream stability... Seems it is true about the grass on the other side but also, why not hedge overall so that it is always green

auricforecas Mar 9, 2020 11:26am | Post# 17

"SERVER"... Oh and, maybe some will find funny but I noticed that GAMING designed comps/servers are EXCELENT for TRADING So I think CARBON X1 on the GO, some "lightweight" smartphone like iphone8/samsung10e and for desktop/home/office, hard to beat the GAMING specs... like LEGION for example or whatever your preferred (top) brand is. Well also, for LOAD balancing, backup or whatever... would "advise"/have one mac os due to extreme uptime (and not that many "mandatory" updates for example as in the case of WIN when you risk it all goes to...
Guys, was thinking about this post and would like to sum up like this...

1. "Front-office" ("showroom") or "normal" trading, like fundamentals etc... long(er) term etc.. or could be even daily but without the "split-second" pressure... Would prefer the more "business" setup, like very clean, wireless everything, nice, stealth, quiet, subtle
  2. "Back-office", the "dungeon" or the WAR ROOM.. for NEWS trading, scalping, CHEETAHs etc... would suggest GAMING spec (cabled all)... REAL crazy trader, DEFCON style "war games" etc Have to have every edge you can get and gaming comps are spected the best for this, also net and latency has to be optimised AF.. Whole science behind it for every ms or ns...

BTW did you know how man ms does wireless mouse/keyboard cost? A LOT! In the industry where nanoseconds count... Imagine investing in offices nearer to broker/market than to have the bottleneck like 8-16ms in a wireless mouse just for the fancy/comfort experience 8ms is like STATES apart

auricforecas Mar 9, 2020 4:55pm | Post# 18

BTW what I think would be useful in case of a complete failure of comps, net and anything... like one billions episode... Not sure if they were so unprepared for this since it is basally essential thing.. I am convinced (or hope) that this was for drama purposes, for the audience (either they were extremely unprepared or the show creators underestimate the audience, at least in tech department, seems to be pretty much spot on in fin... as far as I can tell at least).
Therefore... would love to have the "football" option as well, If I would be running some huge HF or whatever

Like Predator series (21 X)... Insane But yeah, not very practical, weights a ton Used only for "football" (briefcase) purposes Meaning emergency (carefully) closing some (large) positions in case of epic failure (if not done automatically already, by some/multiple remote VPS/DPSes around the globe, so "GEO independent ". Well yeah, for that alone is much over the board but in case someone would need to do actual heavy trading. If nothing else, it zones you in the mood

Simply-Me Mar 9, 2020 5:28pm | Post# 19

1 Attachment(s)
I'll share my setup.On right side(not shown on photo) imagine 22' monitor connected to 13'laptop.I used it mostly for monitoring.
I run i7 CPU 32GB RAM some SSD HD (All my files are on NAS) connected to 2 - 27' monitors and 42 4k TV and mac mini on right side connected to 27' monitor. 2 wired keyboards,2 wired mouses.I do most trading on main PC running win7 and on mac running win 10 mostly extra charts monitoring,Bloomberg tv or other media.
What I like on 4k TV,that's only run on full HD resolution,so MT4 fonts are more readable then in 4k resolution.
I'm trading 3 accounts now,2 of then on MT4 and 1 on my main broker platform,that I used also for most charting,but I do also some charting on MT4.
I do only scalping and daytrading at the time.
And you don't want to see cable management behind the monitors
Name:  my setup small.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  38 KB

EF5 Mar 10, 2020 3:14pm | Post# 20

{quote} Tnx about the bloomberg terminal feedback, yeah kinda thought so... But I wanted to se others people opinion in case I have missed something... It appears bloomberg would be good for other "higher" games, when bigger AUM is in play... Would say 100AUM+ would be the number it would really maybe start to pay off... About the Carbon x1, yeah man, this is exactly what convinced me the most... The keyboard, in fact I love that it seems (according to clip) quiter than air, which I like a lot for certain travel/mobile reasons... Also it appears...
That's it, I'm getting a X1 carbon. It looks perfect.
Do you or did work on bloombergs (daily)? Didn't know that. I know for them for a long time, also their services and all but never justified the costs.. at least for FX.. But hope someday I can use it in HF as AUM, sitting on AUM, getting that "norm" It's funny mutual guys dream returns while HF etc dream stability... Seems it is true about the grass on the other side but also, why not hedge overall so that it is always green
I use one pretty often. Bloomberg terminals are a very powerful machine, but it's such a shame Bloomberg never upgraded the interface. If they kept up with the times they'd have an amazing product, but they left their customers with an interface that looks like it's from the 1980s.

© Forex Factory