Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Time and Price Forecasting (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=944320)

parisboy Sep 13, 2019 11:45am | Post# 221

My 2 cents on Gann

I discovered Gann in 1998 when I returned on the market. That is 21 years ago.

I was attracted by the Angles then by the Horizontal Lines much more known under the denomination of "Murrey Maths"

Since then I have read almost all what is published on the net about Gann. Books , articles, comments. I have looked at almost all threads with Gann in their title or related to Gann. Roughly it amounts to 9 Gigabytes on my hard disk.

I have some books about Gann but no books written by Gann

Practicing Gann tools and reading about Gann since 20 years I progressively built my view on Gann

Gann was a very normal trader like DiamondMiner, me and many others !

Gann made researches like us. Gann tested numerous tools indicators, methodologies , hypothesis like us

Gann made money enough to survive 50 years on the market. Gann loosed money like we have.

Gann was a trader AND a professional selling advices, newsletters and courses and promoted his tools and researches.

This mixed behaviour has consequences :

- as a professional dealing with other professionnals you can not write that Theory X promoted by Professional Asshole Y is just crap

- having customers who buy your courses , newsletters and advices with real dollars you have to take into account what your customers like and want

you can not say to Customer Asshole A who like Theory X promoted by Professional Asshole Y that he is an asshole as well as Professional Y and that Theory X is crap ..... if you need to cash in his dollars.

you play it neutral "it is good that there are different ways to analyze the market, " different guys, different ways" " Theory X underlines some interesting points but raises some questions"

parisboy Sep 13, 2019 12:07pm | Post# 222

My 2 cents on Gann (2)

R.N. Elliot is born in 1871 and died in 1948
W.D. Gann is born in 1878 and died in 1955

Hence it is very realistic to imagine that working both on the markets at the same period both Elliott and Gann have examined their respective work . De facto they have respected a modus vivendi : no commentary on each other, no duplication of tools or concepts.

Gann just used the concept of "Campaign" mimicking more or less the concept of "wave" - but it was marginal in his work. An ad-hoc concept IMHO developed to make quiet his customers interested by Elliott.

The key point is that Gann never at the end of his life has made a recension, a selection of his tools and methodologies. " After 50 years on the market here is what I use because I found it works the best"

Hence after his death his "spiritual heirs" could develop all the tools Gann has tested including those he disregarded or no more used.

It was good for the "Gann industry"

By the way I hold for grotesque and ludicrous the "coded" and "veiled" language and the idea that Gann has developed and promoted public and efficient trading tools and methodologies to hide more efficient tools and methodologies from the public.

Pattybear Sep 16, 2019 3:50am | Post# 223

This stuff looks really interesting. However, for any of these strategies to work properly would the chart have to be scaled in some way so that price and time are equal?

Also, @priceact.fx would you mind showing me again how you came to those numbers on your USDJPY example? (post #31). How did you do the square root of 106.16 and come up with 150?

Thanks

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 5:22am | Post# 224

2 Attachment(s)
This stuff looks really interesting. However, for any of these strategies to work properly would the chart have to be scaled in some way so that price and time are equal? Also, @priceact.fx would you mind showing me again how you came to those numbers on your USDJPY example? (post #31). How did you do the square root of 106.16 and come up with 150? Thanks
Opening on the subject
Click to Enlarge

Name: GANN ANGLE 1.png
Size: 1.0 MB
Click to Enlarge

Name: GANN ANGLE 2.png
Size: 1.4 MB

DiamondMiner Sep 16, 2019 5:36am | Post# 225

This stuff looks really interesting. However, for any of these strategies to work properly would the chart have to be scaled in some way so that price and time are equal? Also, @priceact.fx would you mind showing me again how you came to those numbers on your USDJPY example? (post #31). How did you do the square root of 106.16 and come up with 150? Thanks
Pattybear, read Jenkins book: Square The Range Trading System, he gives about seven different ways to do it, not all methods require scaling. It will change the way you look at charts...

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 5:42am | Post# 226

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: GANN SQUARING PRICE AND TIME.png

Pattybear Sep 16, 2019 10:02am | Post# 227

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Pattybear, read Jenkins book: Square The Range Trading System, he gives about seven different ways to do it, not all methods require scaling. It will change the way you look at charts...
Ok, so I spent some time reading the free version I found somewhere here (Although the yellow watermark makes it really annoying).

So I just pulled a random daily chart on AAPL, and used a previous high marked by the blue circle around heavy resistance at 132. I then calculated tan 30 * 132, which gave me 76. I counted 76 days from the high, which should have marked the next market turning point labeled with the green circle.

Have I done this correctly?
Click to Enlarge

Name: 70160070_770383540057168_1140838636321767424_n.jpg
Size: 144 KB

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 10:52am | Post# 228

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: APPLE 1 YEAR 16 SEPTEMBRE 2019.png

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 10:58am | Post# 229

1 Attachment(s)
Observe how your computer scales the Chart on your screen.
Click to Enlarge

Name: SCALING LOW AND TOP.png

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 11:25am | Post# 230

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: STRONG AND WEAK TERRITORY.png
Size: 1.2 MB

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 11:42am | Post# 231

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: STRONG AND WEAK TERRITORY 2.png

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 12:11pm | Post# 232

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: STRONG AND WEAK TERRITORY 3.png

parisboy Sep 16, 2019 12:45pm | Post# 233

1 Attachment(s)
Click to Enlarge

Name: APPLE 1 YEAR 2 16 SEPTEMBRE 2019.png

majomember Sep 16, 2019 1:08pm | Post# 234

I have removed the yellow watermarks from the Square the Range pdf. DM me if anyone needs it.

Having read the book, I must say it's quite confusing because there's a million ways to do things and you have to keep trying and see what works for your instrument/charting software. Although the methods do seem to work it's a lot of effort to get it right.

I have also read the Secret Angle and that one contains simpler methods. Currently I'm having much more success with the Secret Angle, even though Square the Range should be the superior system as it was written later and Jenkins calls it the final resolution to ideas presented in the Secret Angle.

All in all Jenkins' work is true genius, I'm very glad I found it. It's just that right now I have all these methods and ideas floating in my head in a kind of a big mess and not sure which ones to apply/how and where to apply them. Any help in this regard for a newbie would be much appreciated.

majomember Sep 16, 2019 1:13pm | Post# 235

{quote} Ok, so I spent some time reading the free version I found somewhere here (Although the yellow watermark makes it really annoying). So I just pulled a random daily chart on AAPL, and used a previous high marked by the blue circle around heavy resistance at 132. I then calculated tan 30 * 132, which gave me 76. I counted 76 days from the high, which should have marked the next market turning point labeled with the green circle. Have I done this correctly? {image}
I think you did it right, yes. In this case it is quite simple because the price scale translate nicely to days so it's fairly straightforward. But I trade for example BTC as well and the ATH was 20k on it, the tan 30 of 20k would be around 10k and 10k days would be quite a lot of time to wait around for a cycle. SO you have to do some scaling down like using 1000 days, 100 days etc.

Pattybear Sep 16, 2019 2:30pm | Post# 236

{quote} I think you did it right, yes. In this case it is quite simple because the price scale translate nicely to days so it's fairly straightforward. But I trade for example BTC as well and the ATH was 20k on it, the tan 30 of 20k would be around 10k and 10k days would be quite a lot of time to wait around for a cycle. SO you have to do some scaling down like using 1000 days, 100 days etc.
Hey majomember,

I've done some further reading on the book, and the later chapters do get pretty complex and hard to understand. But yeah, 10000 days is an impractical time to wait for and I believe Jenkins says to also use 1/2 or 1/4 of the full 10000 target days. So 5000, 2500, etc. Like you said, also 1/10 of the days would work so 1000 days.

Pattybear Sep 16, 2019 2:35pm | Post# 237

Besides, waiting for 10k days would make you 27 years older lol

majomember Sep 17, 2019 7:30am | Post# 238

Hello, since so many people asked here is Square the Range without the yellow watermarks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fw...4I5I9t5i9xF6mj

majomember Sep 17, 2019 4:33pm | Post# 239

Hi. I have been taking it slow and been playing around with just manually squaring out charts. Now I know this is a forex forum but I tried to square out a few cryptos and some interesting results came about.

These next charts are ADA/BTC (Cardano) Weekly chart, I took the low of the big bull run from 570 to the 8788 high which gave the range of 8218 (these values are satoshis which is 0.00000001 BTC). Next I counted 82 weeks which resulted in the date of the week beginning at 29 July. Also this chart is scaled 1:10 so I backed up this date with a 45 degree angle coming down from the top intersecting the low, and a circle with its center point fixed on the level of the low and under the high. They all lined up pretty much perfectly, which gives me the indication that this huge range is now squared and price is theoretically free to move ("escaped" the arc). Doesn't mean it will cause it's pretty much what you'd call a "shitcoin", but in theory it should, right?

https://www.tradingview.com/x/x46ME20E/
https://www.tradingview.com/x/GuIWBEQD/

Am I correct with all of this? Please any Jenkins veterans could confirm if my thought process is correct.

Thanks!

parisboy Sep 17, 2019 4:49pm | Post# 240

1 Attachment(s)
ADABTC Parabolic Waterfall event - 95 % in 21 months
Name:  ADABTC PARABOLIC WATERFALL EVENT.png
Views: 644
Size:  445 KB

© Forex Factory