Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Plot long/short retail positions (from myfxbook) on MT4 chart (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=930086)

hanover Aug 7, 2019 3:51pm | Post# 21

2 Attachment(s)
I have used this since the beginning more or less, but for some reason all volume plotting went flatline the 5 of july. Havent changed any settings in the ini file and the program is still gathering the volume info in the csv files. Anybody else have the same problem? I have updated the exe file when a new have come along. I can plot everything but the net-, total-, short- and long- volume of any currencypair. Im using the Hanover templates but this is what I get.
Thank goodness it's a fx chart and not a heart monitor in a hospital.

Here is my chart as it currently stands, and the parameter settings that I'm using. I simply opened a H4 chart, applied the 'myfxbook consolidated' template, and toggled between timeframes to force a refresh of the indicators. Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 096.png
Size: 84 KB

It looks like your computer is no longer gathering data. You could try stopping and restarting the download app. If the the myfxbook icon is absent from your systray, the app is not running. You could also view the csv files in the …/MQL4/Files/myfxbookdata folder, to see when the last datapoints were downloaded (at the end of each file).

If you post a screenshot of your ini file settings, I'll try to see if there's anything that looks amiss. Otherwise, all I can do is point you back to all of the responses in post #1, and the 'Troubleshooting' section of the PDF. After that, I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.

I'm very sorry, but I don't want to set a precedent where everybody starts sending me coding requests again. I guess I'm my own worst enemy by posting the indicator in the first place, lol. I really should take my own advice and stop posting here!!

I've posted the mq4 file, in case another programmer wants to tackle it, but I'm afraid it's written using MQL4 build 509 and my own coding libraries, so this necessarily applies. Also, push notifications are not available in build 509. Hence the best approach might be for somebody to rewrite the indicator using the current build (please feel welcome to copy the RSI calculation from my code).Composite RSI.mq4[Note to non-programmers: if you attempt to use the mq4 without first following the instructions in the above link, the code will compile with a zillion errors. To avoid this, use only the ex4 file that I attached to post# 17.]

David
I'm sorry if it feels like you've come under siege, but it's hardly my fault, especially as I've stated repeatedly that I'm not a serious trader, and to take my comments with a grain of salt. Anyway, I recently stopped posting in the binned osjoe2 thread, albeit at the request of the wordpress blogger.

If Hanover wants to try and prove it doesn't work I won't stop him....
I have no such agenda. And anyway, if people read my comments carefully, I never said that contrarian trading can't work profitably. I merely posted what I see as its pros and cons; the scenarios where it works most effectively, and those where it doesn't. (Unsurprisingly, the blogger has used my comments selectively and posted only the latter).

It's highly possible that I've misunderstood the specifics of your strategy: how you use the myfxbook data and RSI to choose pairs and time your entries. Anyway, my comments were intended to relate only to the general use of the myfxbook data. The software that I posted simply takes the myfxbook data exactly as it is, and plots it as a dashboard or timeseries, whatever you wish. The RSI indicators that I posted are open-ended enough to accommodate a range of settings (you can enter up to 9 MT4 timeframes, and up to 10 different periods for each timeframe). I've never recommended that anybody uses this software as the basis for any kind of strategy; I'm merely sharing it in case anybody finds it useful or interesting.

Trading forums are a sinkhole, the discussions always end up revolving around personalities rather than strategy. The last thing I want to do is to become a focus for contention. Again, I should take my own advice and exercise the discipline needed to quit this place!!

It is the way we have been wired, to look for loop holes without trials, ....... Peeps forget that you only need conservatively a strategy that works 55% of the time with good risk management to be successful in fx. ...... If the understanding is from this basis, I believe we can significantly increase our odds for success. The approach in my own opinion is, whatever the strategy shared, how can I improve the body of knowledge or make it work for me else I disregard. Every strategy is personal.
Fwiw I agree with what you're saying here.
From what I've seen, many novices tend to seek out a self-proclaimed expert, or a set of defined rules, that they can follow mechanically, presumably to reduce ambiguity (well explained here) and personal responsibility from the trading process. I'm not saying that it's completely wrong — I was there myself once — but nowadays my approach is different: I scour forums for ideas, especially those that can add price-independent confirmation, to my arsenal of tools. The myfxbook data meets this requirement.

Here is an example where selling when myfxbook buy volumes were at 70% (candle 'A') would have been a great entry, while waiting until it reached 90% (candle 'B') meant entering the move too late, at a local bottom. On a different day, the downmove might have continued, and hence entering at 'B' would have worked out fine**. The point being that it comes back to the percentages that you mentioned: a 60% win rate with solid MM is good enough; 70% is pure gold. A strategy can't be proven to work on the basis of half a dozen winning trades. As the saying goes, 7 wins out of 10 could easily be the result of 'beginner's luck'; 700 wins out of 1,000 is more likely to be the product of some kind of expertise.

[** as it turned out, if you'd sold at 'B' with a wide enough SL (say 150 pips), you'd be ahead more than 250 pips as of now. If you'd sold at 'A', you'd be ahead more than 450 pips. Neil seems intent on demonstrating that 'contrarian' trading 'works', while the wordpress blogger is intent on proving that it doesn't. My conclusion is different to both of theirs: I believe that the myfxbook data is a decent confirming, but not necessarily a leading, price-independent indicator; and that whatever approach you use, P/L ultimately comes down to trading horizons, and timing of entries and exits. The example is a good illustration of this. Like you say, every strategy is personal.]

It is gathering data in the csv file as it should, but the indicator isnt plotting it. Could be something I have done wrong during an update of the program.
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the detailed screenshot, which gives me a starting point to work from. I can't see anything obviously amiss. However, your setting for 'Update every ? mins' is 1, which means that new entries can be added to the CSV files every 1 minute. This results in large files (the one in your XLS screenshot has 34,400 rows!) which could potentially be difficult for MT4 to handle.

The 'Housekeep cutoff date' is a potential solution. If you enter something like 2d or 12h for example, it will cause the download app to automatically take any rows that are more than 2 days, or 12 hours, old, and move them from the .CSV file to an .ARC (archive) file, with otherwise the same filename. Every time the download process reads myfxbook (every 1 minute in your case), the dates on these rows will get checked, and anything that's too old will be automatically archived. The PlotExternalData.ex4 indicators read only the CSV file, which is now at a manageable size.

The myfxbook values don't change that often. As can be seen from my screenshot, I have it updating once per hour and retain only the last 14 days' worth of data for plotting. There's nothing wrong with having it update every minute, but I would set the Housekeep cutoff date to something like 6 hours, in that case, to keep the amount of data more manageable. So I would change its value, and see if it fixes the flatlining.

The 'Housekeep cutoff date' is explained further on page 16 of the PDF. (Incidentally, if you make a mistake, and want to reverse the process, there's an app Unarchive_myfxbook_files.exe which will return the data from the ARC files back to the CSV files. For more info, see the last section of page 21 in the PDF).

Also, keep in mind that the MT4 chart subwindow is limited in height, and the PlotExternalData.ex4 indicator has to scale it all so that the max and min data values both fit inside the window. Hence if there are large amounts of data, and there isn't much change in a succession of values, they are necessarily going to plot in a relatively straight line. For example, the volumes in your screenshot XLS are around 25,575. If the lowest of the 34,000 values was (say) 5000, and the highest 40,000, then the window would be scaled to fit values between 5000 and 40,000, which means that minor variations around 25,575 would plot as something approaching a straight line.

I don't know if what I've described is the cause of your problem, but I can't see any other reason for it in your screenshot. So I would stop the download app, and then restart it and enter a value like 6h into 'Housekeep cutoff date', give it a few minutes and see if the plots sort themselves out. You might need to reload the template, or toggle between chart timeframes, to force a refresh of the indicators. Good luck.

David

v2vboni Aug 7, 2019 4:04pm | Post# 22

As always, a sensational tool... a very useful on my end.

you are... one of my sudo mentors ; )─

fmsfx Aug 7, 2019 4:30pm | Post# 23

Understood....Thanks David for supplying the source code for alert mods. I will give a week or so to see if anyone will tackle the request and if not then I will hire out the mod and post back the source code with alerts.

Dave

OneandOnly66 Aug 7, 2019 5:01pm | Post# 24

1 Attachment(s)
Hi David.

It is gathering data in the csv file as it should, but the indicator isnt plotting it. Could be something I have done wrong during an update of the program. Here is my settings anyway.

//Thomas

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot1.png
Size: 141 KB

hanover Aug 9, 2019 4:01pm | Post# 25

This was known many years ago... And very true to those conventional simple, weighted, or exponential moving averages......
Outstanding info! I had the following post typed up, then I decided not to post it as I'd resolved to try harder to leave this place...... but then after reading your excellent comments, ah what the heck.........

All indicators must use historical price in their calculation, because (obviously) future price is unknown. Therefore ALL indicators lag. This includes trend following indicators (MAs, SAR, Ichimoku, Heikin-Ashi candles etc), oscillators (Stochastic, RSI,.CCI etc), trendlines, envelope based indicators (Bollinger, Keltner, Donchian etc), price-based strength meters, and everything else whose calculation is based on historical price. It's correct to say that the shorter the period, the smaller the lag, but at the cost of smoothness; and that non-linear indicators (DEMA, Hull, Tillson, Jurik etc) attempt to reduce lag and overshoot without compromising smoothness as much. More info on indicator calculations here.

No matter what indicators or tools you use, either you trade in direction of the current 'trend' (in the horizon that you see it), or you trade countertrend by attempting to pick high probability reversal areas. The herd tend to do the latter; hence a 'contrarian' strategy is effectively one possible approach to trend trading. Studies show that price is a 'fat tail' distribution, and hence trend trading potentially offers a small edge (explained well by Copernicus et al). The vast majority of retail traders lose because (among other things, e.g. MM and psychology issues) they trade countertrend and hold onto (and even add to) losing positions. P/L is ultimately determined by how accurately you enter and exit relative to market turning points in your trading horizon. You can calibrate an indicator to enter a move earlier (use a shorter period) or later (longer period).

Over the long term, price movement is sufficiently random that no indicator is significantly superior to another; if a 'holy grail' indicator did emerge, markets would self-correct to prevent amateur traders from gaining a facile advantage. Many banks and institutions have a sizeable budget dedicated to analyzing, among other things, retail trader behavior.

The trade volumes on myfxbook are also lagging, because (in addition to the points made by copi88) it takes time for traders to react to price change, and it also requires some time for a highly positive net volume to become highly negative, as the weight of traders gradually shift their position. But, as with all lagging methods, that doesn't mean that this tool can't be used profitably. Very simply, if you trade in the direction of the 'trend', then to whatever extent the 'trend' continues to flourish after your entry, you will profit.

What leads price? Order volumes and liquidity imbalances: market orders tend to drive price, and limit orders are barriers that absorb this momentum. Prior to which there is sentiment which is effectively the rationale behind the placement of these orders. Some of the fundamental reasons for sentiment appear here. As pointed out here, value is also a leading indicator. Price will necessarily move toward the level that represents heavyweight consensus of value.

Just my layman's opinions fwiw.

Specifically... how do you use fundamental analysis to make your decisions?
Neil gives a very good example in post 2490 of the binned thread.

Also, look for threads by EcoTrader (I'm not recommending buying anything, just read the free info in the thread to get an idea of the type of info he looks at), jakeparkin and Samson85 (even though he later got banned for spamming). More links to info on FA here.

hanover Aug 11, 2019 6:15pm | Post# 26

2 Attachment(s)
I have left this forum now but one last post........
I have much respect for Hanover but he isnt a trader.......
Neil (and anybody else),

I wasn't going to post again, but since you mentioned me, I'll try to explain one final time where I've been coming from. Hopefully more clearly this time.

As I've said many times, I'm not a professional trader. (My 'credentials' are that I've been tinkering with both automated and discretionary strategies for 13 years, and I've attended maybe half a dozen workshops run by experienced institutional traders). Not that any of this matters, because you don't have to be a knowledgeable or experienced trader to perform the research that I did, and any novice can understand the reasons that underlie my conclusions.

For better or worse, it's not good enough for me to know that a strategy "works". I like to break things down further, to find out what its strengths and weaknesses are, HOW and WHY and under what circumstances it "works" best.
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 105.png
Size: 51 KB
Consider the daily GBPJPY chart in the screenshot as a possible example. In reality, price moved downward from A to D over a period of about a month. However, the downmove could have ended at B, or at C, or even beyond D to point E, or indeed anywhere else. It all depends on the prevailing sentiment at each point.

We know that the longer price falls, the % of retail BUYER volumes tends to increase. Hence it will be greater at B than at A, greater at C than at B, and so on. For the sake of this example, let's say it was 70% at B, 80% at C, 90% at D.

The way things worked out, if you'd sold at B or C, and exited at a lower price than your entry, you profit. But if you'd waited until the % retail got to 90% at D, you lose. (Just as if you'd sold at B on an occasion where the downmove happened to end at B).

So I'm not saying that 'contrarian' trading works, or that it doesn't. Nor am I trying to *prove* anything.

Also, you could have used any number of technical indicators, or price action techniques, to get you into that downmove. It doesn't matter what tools you use. Ultimately it all comes down to timing of entries and exits, and the prevailing sentiment at any given point. Without some kind of insider knowledge, you can't know for sure where the move will end.

The basis for success using any strategy is an 'edge'. To prove that contrarian trading "works", or it doesn't, you'd need to run through (say) 500 similar scenarios, consistently using the same entry AND EXIT rules (like those in post #1, which I did read, btw). Only then would you be able to gauge whether it provides a workable bias 50% of the time, or 70%, or 90% etc etc, and the optimal way to hone the concepts into a profitable trading strategy. The software that I shared can gather the myfxbook data and plot it as a timeseries, allowing anybody to backtest it objectively using any strategy they wish (but only after it's been running long enough to gather the necessary amount of data). I've also been collecting the weekly Scorpion FX data since May 2018 — see the end of this post**

No offence, but posting one chart, and during a week where there was an unusually big downtrend, doesn't prove the existence of an edge. Indeed, you could have been EXTREMELY profitable last week, no argument there, but across the long term maybe there's an edge, maybe there isn't.

Personally, I think that the myfxbook volumes are potentially a GREAT confirming indicator. Great because they provide confirmation that's (1) genuinely independent of price (unlike adding more price-derived indicators to a chart), and (2) independent of timeframe (you don't have to worry about whether price is rising or falling on any particular timeframes, the % retail consolidates it all neatly into a single value).

And just because the myfxbook volumes lag (as retail traders react to the price movement), it doesn't mean that they can't be used profitably. Every technique that's based on an analysis of historical price (which includes virtually all TA/PA) also "lags", and to whatever extent it fails to measure the current sentiment, there are limits to its predictive value. But despite this, these techniques can nonetheless be used profitably.

There's one thing I didn't consider, and that is the possibility that retail volumes are somehow a contributing driver of price, i.e. as heavyweights continue to trade against them. However, retail consists of something like 2% (or up to 10%, depending on which source you read) of total volume, hence I doubt that this would be a significantly dominant factor. I'm also unsure as to how thoroughly the myfxbook data represents "retail".

Neil: Don't get me wrong, I believe you've contributed something that's both helpful and interesting, and definitely worthy of further investigation. Sufficiently interesting to draw me back into posting here, lol. I'm grateful for your contribution.

Anyway, for better or worse, those are my layman's opinions, take them or leave them.

David

Footnote — some background reading:
https://www.ig.com/us/trading-strate...ntiment-190411
https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/educat...sentiment.html

** here is the weekly data that I've collected from ScorpionFX, for whatever it's worth. Format is:
date;currencies from strongest to weakest;pairs to buy;pairs to sell
Inserted Code
yyyy.mm.dd;s------w;buy,buy,buy;sell,sell,sell
2019.08.12;GBP,USD,CAD,JPY,NZD,CHF,AUD,EUR;USDCHF;EURCAD
2019.08.05;JPY,CHF,USD,CAD,GBP,EUR,AUD,NZD;;NZDJPY,AUDCHF
2019.07.29;USD,EUR,NZD,GBP,AUD,JPY,CAD,CHF;EURCAD;
2019.07.22;CHF,EUR,GBP,CAD,JPY,AUD,USD,NZD;EURUSD;NZDCHF
2019.07.15;CHF,CAD,GBP,EUR,NZD,JPY,AUD,USD;GBPUSD;AUDCHF
2019.07.08;USD,EUR,NZD,CHF,CAD,GBP,AUD,JPY;EURJPY;AUDNZD
2019.07.01;USD,AUD,JPY,GBP,EUR,CAD,NZD,CHF;USDCHF;NZDJPY
2019.06.24;AUD,JPY,USD,CHF,NZD,GBP,EUR,CAD;AUDCAD;EURJPY
2019.06.17;AUD,EUR,NZD,CAD,USD,CHF,JPY,GBP;AUDJPY,EURGBP;
2019.06.10;GBP,EUR,USD,NZD,CAD,AUD,JPY,CHF;GBPJPY,GBPCHF,EURJPY,EURCHF;
2019.06.03;GBP,EUR,CAD,USD,AUD,NZD,JPY,CHF;GBPJPY,GBPCHF,EURJPY,EURCHF;
2019.05.27;AUD,CAD,USD,GBP,EUR,NZD,CHF,JPY;AUDJPY,AUDCHF;
2019.05.20;AUD,CHF,GBP,CAD,NZD,USD,EUR,JPY;AUDJPY,AUDUSD,CHFJPY,GBPJPY,GBPUSD;EURAUD,EURCHF,USDCHF,EURGBP
2019.05.13;AUD,NZD,USD,EUR,CAD,GBP,CHF,JPY;AUDJPY,NZDJPY,USDJPY,AUDCHF,NZDCHF,USDCHF;GBPAUD,GBPNZD,GBPUSD
2019.05.06;AUD,CHF,CAD,EUR,JPY,NZD,USD,GBP;AUDUSD,AUDNZD;GBPAUD,GBPCHF,GBPCAD,USDCHF,USDCAD,NZDCHF,NZDCAD
2019.04.29;CHF,NZD,EUR,JPY,GBP,AUD,CAD,USD;EURCAD,EURUSD,EURAUD,NZDCAD,NZDUSD;USDCHF,CADCHF,AUDNZD,AUDCHF
2019.04.22;GBP,JPY,CHF,EUR,CAD,NZD,AUD,USD;GBPUSD,GBPAUD,GBPNZD;USDJPY,AUDJPY,NZDJPY;USDCHF,AUDCHF,NZDCHF
2019.04.15;CHF,CAD,JPY,EUR,USD,GBP,NZD,AUD;;AUDCHF,AUDCAD,AUDJPY,NZDCHF,NZDCAD,NZDJPY,GBPCHF,GBPCAD,GBPJPY
2019.04.08;CAD,CHF,AUD,NZD,GBP,JPY,EUR,USD;AUDUSD,CADJPY,CHFJPY,AUDJPY;USDCAD,USDCHF,EURCAD,EURCHF,EURAUD
2019.04.01;CAD,NZD,USD,EUR,GBP,JPY,AUD,CHF;CADJPY,NZDJPY,USDJPY,CADCHF,NZDCHF,USDCHF;AUDCAD,AUDNZD,AUDUSD
2019.03.25;CAD,AUD,GBP,EUR,NZD,CHF,USD,JPY;CADJPY,AUDJPY,GBPJPY,CADCHF,AUDUSD,GBPUSD,AUDCHF,GBPCHF;USDCAD
2019.03.18;EUR,CHF,CAD,AUD,USD,GBP,NZD,JPY;EURJPY,CHFJPY,CADJPY,EURNZD,EURGBP;NZDCAD,NZDCHF,GBPCAD,GBPCHF
2019.03.11;JPY,CAD,EUR,GBP,NZD,AUD,CHF,USD;EURUSD,EURCHF,EURAUD,CADCHF;USDJPY,CHFJPY,AUDJPY,USDCAD,AUDCAD
2019.03.04;NZD,CAD,AUD,CHF,USD,EUR,GBP,JPY;NZDJPY,CADJPY,AUDJPY;GBPNZD,GBPCAD,GBPAUD,EURNZD,EURCAD,EURAUD
2019.02.25;CHF,AUD,JPY,EUR,USD,NZD,CAD,GBP;AUDCAD,AUDNZD;GBPCHF,GBPAUD,GBPJPY;CADCHF,CADJPY,NZDCHF,NZDJPY
2019.02.11;USD,CHF,JPY,GBP,EUR,AUD,CAD,NZD;USDCAD;NZDUSD,AUDUSD,NZDCHF,CADCHF,AUDCHF,NZDJPY,CADJPY,AUDJPY
2019.02.04;NZD,USD,AUD,JPY,GBP,EUR,CHF,CAD;NZDCHF,NZDCAD,USDCAD,USDCHF,AUDCAD,AUDCHF;EURNZD,EURUSD,EURAUD
2019.01.28;USD,NZD,JPY,AUD,GBP,CHF,EUR,CAD;USDCAD,USDCHF,NZDCAD,NZDCHF;CADJPY,EURJPY,CHFJPY,EURNZD,EURUSD
2019.01.21;USD,CHF,EUR,GBP,CAD,NZD,JPY,AUD;USDJPY,CHFJPY,EURAUD,EURJPY,EURNZD;AUDUSD,NZDUSD,AUDCHF,NZDCHF
2019.01.14;USD,NZD,CHF,GBP,AUD,CAD,EUR,JPY;USDJPY,NZDJPY,CHFJPY,USDCAD,NZDCAD;EURUSD,EURNZD,EURCHF,CADCHF
2019.01.07;CAD,AUD,NZD,USD,CHF,GBP,EUR,JPY;CADJPY,AUDJPY,NZDJPY;EURCAD,EURAUD,EURNZD,GBPCAD,GBPAUD,GBPNZD
2018.12.24;USD,GBP,NZD,CHF,EUR,CAD,AUD,JPY;GBPJPY,USDJPY,NZDJPY,USDCAD,NZDCAD,GBPCAD,GBPAUD;AUDUSD,AUDNZD
2018.12.17;JPY,CAD,USD,NZD,GBP,EUR,CHF,AUD;CADCHF,USDCHF;AUDJPY,AUDCAD,AUDUSD,EURJPY,EURCAD,EURUSD,CHFJPY
2018.12.10;USD,JPY,CAD,EUR,CHF,GBP,NZD,AUD;;AUDUSD,AUDJPY,AUDCAD,NZDUSD,NZDJPY,NZDCAD,GBPUSD,GBPJPY,GBPCAD
2018.12.03;NZD,AUD,USD,CHF,JPY,CAD,EUR,GBP;NZDCAD,AUDCAD,USDCAD;GBPNZD,GBPAUD,GBPUSD,EURNZD,EURAUD,EURUSD
2018.11.26;USD,JPY,CHF,NZD,AUD,CAD,EUR,GBP;USDCAD;GBPUSD,GBPJPY,GBPCAD,CADJPY,CADCHF,EURUSD,EURJPY,EURCHF
2018.11.19;NZD,AUD,JPY,USD,EUR,CHF,CAD,GBP;NZDCAD,NZDCHF,AUDCAD,AUDCHF;GBPNZD,GBPAUD,GBPJPY,CADJPY,CHFJPY
2018.11.12;USD,NZD,CHF,AUD,GBP,JPY,CAD,EUR;USDCAD,USDJPY,NZDCAD,NZDJPY,CHFJPY;EURUSD,EURNZD,EURCHF,CADCHF
2018.11.05;USD,NZD,CAD,GBP,AUD,JPY,EUR,CHF;USDCHF,USDJPY,NZDCHF,NZDJPY,CADCHF,CADJPY;EURUSD,EURNZD,EURCAD
2018.10.29;JPY,USD,CHF,AUD,CAD,NZD,EUR,GBP;;GBPJPY,GBPUSD,GBPCHF,EURJPY,EURUSD,EURCHF,NZDJPY,NZDUSD,NZDCHF
2018.10.22;USD,NZD,GBP,EUR,JPY,CHF,CAD,AUD;USDCAD,USDCHF,GBPAUD,GBPCAD,GBPCHF,NZDCAD,NZDCHF;AUDUSD,AUDNZD
2018.10.15;USD,JPY,GBP,EUR,CAD,NZD,CHF,AUD;USDCHF,GBPNZD,GBPAUD,GBPCHF;AUDJPY,CHFJPY,NZDJPY,AUDUSD,NZDUSD
2018.10.01;CAD,USD,EUR,AUD,NZD,GBP,CHF,JPY;CADJPY,CADCHF,USDJPY,USDCHF,EURJPY,EURCHF,EURGBP;GBPUSD,GBPCAD
2018.09.24;CHF,CAD,EUR,AUD,NZD,USD,GBP,JPY;CHFJPY,CADJPY,EURJPY,EURGBP,EURUSD;GBPCHF,GBPCAD,USDCHF,USDCAD
2018.09.17;CHF,USD,CAD,GBP,EUR,JPY,NZD,AUD;CHFJPY,USDJPY,CADJPY;NZDCHF,NZDUSD,NZDCAD,AUDCHF,AUDUSD,AUDCAD
2018.09.03;CHF,USD,JPY,CAD,GBP,EUR,NZD,AUD;;AUDCHF,NZDCHF,CADCHF,AUDJPY,NZDJPY,EURJPY,AUDUSD,NZDUSD,EURUSD
2018.08.27;EUR,CHF,CAD,USD,NZD,AUD,JPY,GBP;EURGBP,EURJPY,EURAUD,CHFJPY,CADJPY;GBPCHF,GBPCAD,AUDCHF,AUDCAD
2018.08.20;JPY,CAD,USD,AUD,EUR,NZD,CHF,GBP;CADCHF,USDCHF;GBPJPY,GBPCAD,GBPUSD,CHFJPY,NZDJPY,NZDCAD,NZDUSD
2018.08.13;USD,JPY,CHF,CAD,AUD,GBP,EUR,NZD;GBPUSD,GBPJPY,GBPCHF,EURUSD,EURJPY,EURCHF,NZDUSD,NZDJPY,NZDCHF
2018.08.06;CAD,USD,JPY,CHF,AUD,EUR,NZD,GBP;;GBPCAD,GBPUSD,GBPJPY,NZDCAD,NZDUSD,NZDJPY,EURCAD,EURUSD,EURJPY
2018.07.30;CAD,USD,JPY,CHF,AUD,EUR,NZD,GBP;;GBPCAD,GBPUSD,GBPJPY,NZDCAD,NZDUSD,NZDJPY,EURCAD,EURUSD,EURJPY
2018.07.23;CHF,EUR,JPY,USD,NZD,CAD,AUD,GBP;EURGBP,EURAUD,EURCAD;GBPCHF,AUDCHF,CADCHF,GBPJPY,AUDJPY,CADJPY
2018.07.16;EUR,USD,AUD,GBP,CAD,CHF,NZD,JPY;EURJPY,EURNZD,EURCHF,USDJPY,USDCHF,AUDJPY,AUDNZD,AUDCHF;NZDUSD
2018.07.09;EUR,GBP,CAD,CHF,USD,NZD,AUD,JPY;EURJPY,EURAUD,EURNZD,GBPJPY,GBPAUD,GBPNZD,CADJPY;AUDCAD,NZDCAD
2018.07.02;CAD,EUR,CHF,USD,GBP,JPY,AUD,NZD;CADJPY,EURNZD,EURAUD,EURJPY,CADJPY;NZDCAD,NZDCHF,AUDCAD,AUDCHF
2018.06.25;CHF,JPY,EUR,USD,AUD,NZD,GBP,CAD;EURUSD,EURGBP,EURNZD;CADCHF,GBPCHF,NZDCHF,CADJPY,GBPJPY,NZDJPY
2018.06.18;USD,JPY,GBP,CHF,EUR,NZD,CAD,AUD;USDCAD,GBPAUD,GBPCAD,GBPNZD;AUDUSD,NZDUSD,AUDJPY,CADJPY,NZDJPY
2018.06.11;JPY,NZD,USD,CAD,EUR,GBP,CHF,AUD;NZDCHF,USDCHF;AUDJPY,AUDNZD,AUDUSD,CHFJPY,GBPJPY,GBPNZD,GBPUSD
2018.06.04;USD,CHF,NZD,AUD,JPY,CAD,GBP,EUR;USDCAD,NZDCAD;EURUSD,EURCHF,EURNZD,GBPUSD,GBPCHF,GBPNZD,CADCHF
2018.05.21;USD,CAD,AUD,NZD,GBP,CHF,JPY,EUR;USDJPY,USDCHF,CADJPY,CADCHF,AUDJPY,AUDCHF;EURUSD,EURCAD,EURAUD
2018.05.14;GBP,CHF,AUD,JPY,EUR,CAD,NZD,USD;GBPUSD,GBPNZD,GBPCAD,AUDUSD,AUDNZD,AUDCAD;USDCHF,NZDCHF,CADCHF
Example:
2019.05.20;AUD,CHF,GBP,CAD,NZD,USD,EUR,JPY;AUDJPY,AUDUSD,CHFJPY,GBPJPY,GBPUSD;EURAUD,EURCHF,USDCHF,EURGBP
<--date-->;<stronger---------------weaker>;<--------------buys-------------->;<----------sells---------->
Name:  PPI 111.png
Views: 885
Size:  129 KB

mixedbags Aug 11, 2019 6:32pm | Post# 27

Anyway, for better or worse, those are my layman's opinions, take them or leave them. David
layman is an understatement

aPhong Aug 12, 2019 1:05am | Post# 28

{quote} Outstanding info! I had the following post typed up, then I decided not to post it as I'd resolved to try harder to leave this place...... but then after reading your excellent comments, ah what the heck......... ...
... I know saying thanks to you will never demonstrade enough my respect But Thanks anyway
... You re one of my eyes ! ... & your recent conclusion is exactly what I have had the feel of ... But cant prove it because im just a bad coder
btw, Hopefully You will stay with us & we can together work things out more on Sentiment Subject

have a good day Master!
cheers,
aphong

tahiri Aug 13, 2019 5:57am | Post# 29

it's amazing to see some great perfermence from advanced traders here in this forum, I have been for a long time navigate and learn trought its sections, everyone has his piece of the puzzle and when he shares what he got and members collaborate, the work will be with high probability win rate, I have a strategy too and need to be coded.

MarkStep Aug 31, 2019 1:20am | Post# 30

From this post: "RSI taken from Monthly, Weekly, daily and H4 as posted here. Two RSI readings RSI2 + RSI 9 and divided by eight for a master rating." Composite RSI indicator is attached, which performs the above calculation, and plots the result as a timeseries. The calculation gives an identical result (for the current price) to fxbarwise's indicator here, hence I assume it's correct....
Good day hanover, Can we get data of forex sentiment when in change over time and how fast retail is piling in, not just current positioning..

GU-Night Aug 31, 2019 3:24am | Post# 31

{quote} Good day hanover, Can we get data of forex sentiment when in change over time and how fast retail is piling in, not just current positioning..
Hanover uses myfxbook data for that. The indicator at the bottom in a separate window shows that. https://www.forexfactory.com/showthr...1#post12427881

The lines show the change in netto volumes over time.

hanover Aug 31, 2019 9:02am | Post# 32

3 Attachment(s)
Can we get data of forex sentiment when in change over time and how fast retail is piling in, not just current positioning..
The software in post #1 can (among other things) plot all of the myfxbook data as a timeseries, under the relevant MT4 candles. The first screenshot below is the result of applying the myfxbook_hanover1 template (after the download app has been gathering myfxbook data for several days). Then right click on any lines that you don't want to display, and delete them, leaving only those you need. The white line in the main chart shows the net change in volume for the chart pair (EURUSD). As can be seen, it simply mirrors price; the herd response is extremely predictable!

Read the PDF and the material in post #1 for more info. If you have questions or need help, it's all answered there. There are plenty of examples in the PDF. I am leaving the forum, I need a rest, so I'm afraid you're on your own. If you can't get this to work, there are other products that will do much the same thing (some are free, some are not), all found easily enough using Google.

Thanks for all your work
You're welcome.

Is there any percentage value I can see on the the retail piling in in the moment lets say every hour. I wanted to know how many retail traders are going long or short every hour by percent.
Everything is explained in the PDF. However, to save you some reading time, the second screenshot was produced using the attached template. It shows the %volume long (green) vs short (red), the scale 0-100 is on the left side of the chart. If this doesn't meet your requirement, you'll need to look elsewhere (e.g. fxcm.com and dailyfx.com offer SSI plots), as I'm not offering a coding service, free or paid. I merely share some of the software that I've written for myself.
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 178.png
Size: 75 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 179.png
Size: 32 KB
myfxbook_%change.tpl

MarkStep Aug 31, 2019 9:12am | Post# 33

{quote} The software in post #1 can (among other things) plot all of the myfxbook data as a timeseries, under the relevant MT4 candles. The screenshot below is the result of applying the myfxbook_hanover1 template (after the download app has been gathering myfxbook data for several days). Then right click on any lines that you don't want to display, and delete them, leaving only those you need. The white line in the main chart shows the net change in volume for the chart pair (EURUSD). As can be seen, it simply mirrors price; the herd is extremely...
Thanks for the reply hanover and your work much appreciated.

Is there any percentage value I can see on the the retail piling in in the moment lets say every hour.. I wanted to know how many retail traders are going long or short every hour by percent. Thanks!

guido9 Aug 31, 2019 9:47am | Post# 34

Thanks for all your work Hanover

MarkStep Sep 1, 2019 1:55am | Post# 35

{quote} The software in post #1 can (among other things) plot all of the myfxbook data as a timeseries, under the relevant MT4 candles. The first screenshot below is the result of applying the myfxbook_hanover1 template (after the download app has been gathering myfxbook data for several days). Then right click on any lines that you don't want to display, and delete them, leaving only those you need. The white line in the main chart shows the net change in volume for the chart pair (EURUSD). As can be seen, it simply mirrors price; the herd response...
Very much appreciated. Thank you hanover. More success to you!

MarkStep Sep 12, 2019 6:13am | Post# 36

{quote} The software in post #1 can (among other things) plot all of the myfxbook data as a timeseries, under the relevant MT4 candles. The first screenshot below is the result of applying the myfxbook_hanover1 template (after the download app has been gathering myfxbook data for several days). Then right click on any lines that you don't want to display, and delete them, leaving only those you need. The white line in the main chart shows the net change in volume for the chart pair (EURUSD). As can be seen, it simply mirrors price; the herd response...
Good day hanover, Is it possible to to see when or know when retail stops are taken out. what indication do we have to know if It is now in reverse bias. Thanks

hanover Sep 20, 2019 6:25pm | Post# 37

Is it possible to to see when or know when retail stops are taken out. what indication do we have to know if It is now in reverse bias.
Retail behavior is explained here. I don't have a data source that informs which SL orders are specifically 'retail' (the closest thing that I'm aware of is a non-specific order book plot, e.g. something like this), nor an indicator that paints these zones.

livingsoul99 Sep 21, 2019 7:31pm | Post# 38

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings you all here on ff

i hope everyone is doing well and also progressing in trading.

Im kind of new to trading, just going on 9 months..... I came across an 3 bar stop loss indicator,

that i like to use both ways for a trailing stop loss and entry

....but the blue and red lines trailing underneath the candles are #1 in width by default setting, while the other lines piercing

thru the candles are too thick thus making the candles kind of annoying.

It has does have width parameter settings to change but when you change the width affects both lines
and its another set of width and line settings that don't work for some odd reason.

So, i was hoping and wondering if any mt4 coder out there can remove the line piercing the candles

and make the trailing stop lines trailing under the candles "wider" and the width adjustable for just that one line instead....
The idea is similar to the lines of the indicator called halftrend lines are thicker and adjustable under candles.

I hope i explained this well. Thanks so much, appreciate it. Also i ran across a nice support and resistance indicator i just want to share called - - - sssr proven. Thank you all, and i hope you have a wonderful evening.
3-bar-stop-loss-indicator.mq4
- - - SSSR_PROVEN.mq4
HalfTrend-1.02.mq4

livingsoul99 Sep 24, 2019 2:33am | Post# 39

4 Attachment(s)
TO FELLOW MT4 CODERS
GREETINGS AGAIN TO ALL TRADERS & TO FELLOW TRADERS THAT ALSO DO MT4 CODING,
HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL WITH EVERYONE!!!

I FOUND A WONDERFUL INDICATOR COMBO THAT CAN DEFINITELY BE TWEEKED BY A MT4 CODER TO MAKE A NICE VISIBLE STATEGY
I HUMBLY INQUIRE COULD ANY MT4 CODER PLEASE MERGE SOME OF THESE INDICATORS TOGETHER TO MAKE ROOM FOR SCREEN SPACE AND TO ALSO ADD MORE CONFLUENCE? I WILL UPLOAD THE PICTURE TO HELP EXPLAIN IT. ITS JUST 4 CODING GOALS IN MIND. ITS BASED ON 3 SEPARATE INDICATORS. [AT THE VERY BOTTOM I UPLOADED THE MT4 EDITABLE FILES AND A METATRADER SNAP SHOT OF THE 3 INDICATORS PRESENTLY ]

3 SEPARATE INDICATORS: #1 ZZ ARROWS
#2 A BOLLINGER BAND CANDLE HISTOGRAM
#3 A SEPERATE HISTOGRAM
GOAL #1 = SUPERIMPOSE #2 BOLLINGER BAND CANDLE HISTOGRAM ON TOP OF #3 SEPARATE HISTOGRAM TO MAKE THEM INTO ONE.
KEY NOTE: NORMALLY ITS A DRAG AND DROP VERY SIMPLE STEP BUT NOW THE HISTOGRAM CANDLES DISAPPEAR FOR SOME ODD
REASON.

GOAL #2 = ALSO ADD THE ABOVE #1 ZZ ARROWS DOWN BELOW IN SYNC WITH THE #2 BOLLINGER BAND CANDLE HISTOGRAM. THE ARROWS CAN HELP
SHOW THE TURNS ABOVE IN THE MAIN SCREEN AND ALSO BELOW IN THE SUB SCREEN ADDED ON TOP OF #2 AND #3 COMBINED INTO ONE.
KEY NOTE: CAN YOU ALSO MAKE THE ARROW'S EXT DEPTH SETTING AJUSTABLE IN THE PARAMETERS

GOAL #3 = MAKE #3 SEPARATE HISTOGRAM ABLE TO DRAG & DROP IN THE MAIN UPPER SCREEN. SO THE #3 HISTOGRAM IS DUPLICATED ABOVE &
BELOW.

GOAL #4 = ADD 2 CUSTOMIZABLE .WAV VOICE ALERTS FOR #1 ZZ ARROWS.... 1 ALERT FOR RED SELL ARROW.... AND A SEPARATE ALERT FOR THE GREEN
BUY ARROW. CAN YOU ALSO MAKE IT WHERE IT DOES PHONE NOTIFICATIONS AND ALSO SCREEN SOUND ALERTS.
***KEY NOTE: TO FELLOW TRADERS...GO TO NOTEVIBES.COM AND MAKE A FREE CUSTOMIZED HUMAN VOICE ALERT TO ADD TO INDICATORS THAT ALLOW YOU TO SELECT DIFFERENT VOICE ALERTS.

I FOUND THIS ADD-IN ALERT CODE, BUT IT ONLY DOES ALERTS FOR ONE FEATURE, BUT 2 ALERTS WILL BE NEEDED. I COULDN'T FIND A DUAL ALERT ADD-IN CODE SO MAYBE OUR FELLOW CODERS KNOW WHAT TO TWEEK TO MAKE IT ALERT FOR BUYS AND SELLS SEPARATELY :

input int TriggerCandle = 1;
input bool EnableNativeAlerts = true;
input bool EnableSoundAlerts = true;
input bool EnableEmailAlerts = true;
input bool EnablePushAlerts = true;
input string AlertEmailSubject = "";
input string AlertText = "";
input string SoundFileName = "alert.wav";

datetime LastAlertTime = D'01.01.1970';
int LastAlertDirection = 0;

. . . ALSO COULD YOU PLEASE UPLOAD THE FINAL IN A MT4 FILE SO THE WIDTH, COLOR, OR WING DING SYMBOLS CAN BE CUSTOMIZED IN THE CODE?
THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR YOUR CODING INTELLECT AS ALWAYS AS MANY PIPS TO ALL HERE ON FF!!
LIVINGSOUL99 AKA LOVEBORNAGAIN
! Bollinger band bars.mq4
! DM_Continuation.mq4
! ZZ arrows.mq4
Click to Enlarge

Name: zig zag bollinger dm continuation.png
Size: 52 KB

livingsoul99 Sep 24, 2019 7:07am | Post# 40

{quote} neil (and anybody else), i wasn't going to post again, but since you mentioned me, i'll try to explain one final time where i've been coming from. Hopefully more clearly this time. As i've said many times, i'm not a professional trader. (my 'credentials' are that i've been tinkering with both automated and discretionary strategies for 13 years, and i've attended maybe half a dozen workshops run by experienced institutional traders). Not that any of this matters, because you don't have to be a knowledgeable or experienced trader to perform...
greetings noble hanover!
Thats a truly amazing find with the currency strength chart at scorpion fx, that is powerful indeed!!!...how much is it to to get that type of chart information on the currency strength and weakness you posted?????? .....amen, that helps save some time and adds an edge to trading ........ Thank you hanover!!!!! I went thru some of your post, you are definitely knowledgeable and very skilled with trading wisdom. Appreciate your work and sincere contribution to ff.... And best wishes to you always noble hanover!!!

© Forex Factory