Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   4 + 1 (Metals) strategy (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=922895)

MzansiObi Jun 10, 2019 9:29am | Post# 1

Hi guys.
Just thought I'd share a simply yet effective strategy I have been using for some time trading gold and silver now.

This system has proven to be effective when looking at trending markets, we should always exercise some risk and money management principles.

The idea is not to have the strategy overly complicated.
Do with it as you please, modify it or even look at back testing. The idea though is to keep it as simplified. Play with it on the demo for some time and go live when when you are ready and happy with it within the confines and realities of trading.
This is no holy grail system. If that's what you're looking for then please give this a miss. This system will offer a high probability ratio and in most instances there will be more winners then there are loosers.

Rules.
1. 15 EMA applied to the close.
2. 30 EMA applied to the open.

We look to buy:
On 4hourly or 1hourly chart 15 EMA crosses above 30 EMA
Candlestick/price gets close to 15 EMA.
Drop to 15min chart, when price near 15 EMA on 15M chart we buy.
SL a couple of pips away from swing low on 4h/1H

We look to sell:
On 4hourly or 1 hourly chart 15 EMA crosses below 30 EMA
Candlestick/price is close to 15 EMA.
Drop to 15min chart, when price near 15 EMA on 15M chart we sell
SL a couple of pips away from swing high on 4h/1h.

Note. In line with good money management, close half position and move SL to BE once price has moved in our direction. Or use a trail stop to protect some profit.
Note. If you're using it on the 1 hour chart you will get more setups compared to the 4h hourly chart, less DD but requires more screen time.

4 hourly chart will give less entries and some DD but less trade intensive.
When the EMA' are flat, Stay out.

Simple yet effective.

Ef5 Jun 11, 2019 1:08am | Post# 2

Thanks for sharing MzansiObi!

I'm curious, what do you do to differentiate between trending and non-trending markets for this strategy?

Metallurgy Jun 12, 2019 5:23pm | Post# 3

I like simple strategies, and it's tough to get more simple than this. May try automate this and chuck it on a demo, see how it does.

Thank you for sharing!

MzansiObi Jun 13, 2019 4:18am | Post# 4

Hi guys.
Yeah by all means automate it and let us know.
If we can get an early going and have it running on those time frames it may be worth a shot.

Will try and post more charts and setups as of next week.
The key thing here though is patience and money management.

Charts and visuals to follow soon.

MzansiObi Jun 13, 2019 4:21am | Post# 5

Thanks for sharing MzansiObi! I'm curious, what do you do to differentiate between trending and non-trending markets for this strategy?
Well the moment we are making a series of HH and LL for uptrend on the 4 hourly or hourly chart then you will see the market is trending. But of we are bouncing back and forth from two levels and the moving averages are flat then we know to stay out bud.

If you guys have questions please feel free to upload charts and or possible setups will respond

MzansiObi Jun 13, 2019 5:00am | Post# 6

Due to its correlation with Gold.

Open up your EU chart,zoom out and look at the h1 and 4 hr charts respectively. Well worth the try on EU aswell.

Again money and risk management very key.

Stay safe

dweb Jun 15, 2019 2:01pm | Post# 7

3 Attachment(s)
I had a bit of time, so I hope you don't mind:

Indicator:
dwebMAMTF.ex4
++ Set the timeframe to what you want
++ You can load the indie more than once for the H1/H4 respectively
++ Set Colors/Lines to what you want
Name:  Image1.png
Views: 13215
Size:  34 KB

Sample Chart: M15, setting to H4
Click to Enlarge

Name: GOLDmicroM15.png
Size: 33 KB

MzansiObi Jun 16, 2019 4:26am | Post# 8

I had a bit of time, so I hope you don't mind: Indicator: {file} ++ Set the timeframe to what you want ++ You can load the indie more than once for the H1/H4 respectively ++ Set Colors/Lines to what you want {image} Sample Chart: M15, setting to H4 {image}
Alright lovely bro.

That's good. Will load it up and put to use.

Will it give alerts aswel?

I had a bit of time, so I hope you don't mind: Indicator: {file} ++ Set the timeframe to what you want ++ You can load the indie more than once for the H1/H4 respectively ++ Set Colors/Lines to what you want {image} Sample Chart: M15, setting to H4 {image}
Did you apply a backtest on the indie?

dweb Jun 16, 2019 9:42am | Post# 9

{quote} Alright lovely bro. That's good. Will load it up and put to use. Will it give alerts aswel? {quote} Did you apply a backtest on the indie?
Alerts: None, however specify what you are looking for.
Backtest: None based on your rule set. However, visually appealing and viewing it with interest as you are the master of it. I do not trade MA's, but open to ideas.

MzansiObi Jun 16, 2019 4:06pm | Post# 10

{quote} Alerts: None, however specify what you are looking for. Backtest: None based on your rule set. However, visually appealing and viewing it with interest as you are the master of it. I do not trade MA's, but open to ideas.
In terms of the alert I think it would work best if we had a notification going off that confirms the entry signals, that's to say, when price on the 4hr or 1hr gets close to that 15 EMA. Am thinking that will give us enough time to look at the pair and wait for that 15 Min chart entry.

Froggy Jun 16, 2019 7:07pm | Post# 11

G'day,

Thanks M for the strat and d for the indi. I will try to run it and report.

dweb Jun 16, 2019 7:32pm | Post# 12

3 Attachment(s)
{quote} In terms of the alert I think it would work best if we had a notification going off that confirms the entry signals, that's to say, when price on the 4hr or 1hr gets close to that 15 EMA. Am thinking that will give us enough time to look at the pair and wait for that 15 Min chart entry.
Indie v1.1
dwebMAMTF.ex4

Default Settings:
Name:  Image2.png
Views: 13194
Size:  42 KB

Alert message:
Name:  Image3.png
Views: 13200
Size:  43 KB

MzansiObi Jun 17, 2019 2:33am | Post# 13

{quote} Indie v1.1 {file} Default Settings: {image} Alert message: {image}
Lol that was fast bud you are aware it's a public holiday here in SA right.....tell me,is it giving entry signal for 15 Min chart or when price on the 1 he and 4 hour chart huts the 15 EMA?

Cause if it's giving signal on 15 Min chart it may give some false signals if price on 1hour and 4 hour chart hasn't reached or come close to the 15 Min ema..

dweb Jun 17, 2019 3:11am | Post# 14

{quote} Lol that was fast bud you are aware it's a public holiday here in SA right.....tell me,is it giving entry signal for 15 Min chart or when price on the 1 he and 4 hour chart huts the 15 EMA? Cause if it's giving signal on 15 Min chart it may give some false signals if price on 1hour and 4 hour chart hasn't reached or come close to the 15 Min ema..
Hey, The signal is only MA crosses based on the timeframe selected, thus if on M15 chart it tracks ex. H1 cross. However, your original request to alert when price is close to MA15 on the H4/H1 timeframe wil be coded... I was tired. Holiday:- Yes, famz are looking at me strange, lol... be patient

MzansiObi Jun 17, 2019 3:16am | Post# 15

{quote} Hey, The signal is only MA crosses based on the timeframe selected, thus if on M15 chart it tracks ex. H1 cross. However, your original request to alert when price is close to MA15 on the H4/H1 timeframe wil be coded... I was tired. Holiday:- Yes, famz are looking at me strange, lol... be patient
Lmao.
Take your time. Bo rush at all. Merely wanted to understand what the coding has been done.
The hourly chart gave a great entry signal 5 hours ago.
I'm also on tye road and travelling. Should be back home tonight and will begin posting more charts and examples so that anyone else that needs visual representation of the setup can be assisted with it.

Moenie te veel brandy n coke drink Nie.
Stay blessed

dweb Jun 17, 2019 3:57am | Post# 16

{quote} Lmao. Take your time. Bo rush at all. Merely wanted to understand what the coding has been done. The hourly chart gave a great entry signal 5 hours ago. I'm also on tye road and travelling. Should be back home tonight and will begin posting more charts and examples so that anyone else that needs visual representation of the setup can be assisted with it. Moenie te veel brandy n coke drink Nie. Stay blessed
Woolies Water brah

MzansiObi Jun 17, 2019 4:04am | Post# 17

{quote} Woolies Water brah
Lol.....shweet chana

Froggy Jun 18, 2019 7:01pm | Post# 18

Nice gold last night..... I am sure you've got it!!!

MzansiObi Jun 20, 2019 4:03am | Post# 19

1 Attachment(s)
1hour chart outlook and explanation......
Click to Enlarge

Name: image.jpeg
Size: 250 KB

MzansiObi Jun 20, 2019 8:57am | Post# 20

{quote} Hey, The signal is only MA crosses based on the timeframe selected, thus if on M15 chart it tracks ex. H1 cross. However, your original request to alert when price is close to MA15 on the H4/H1 timeframe wil be coded... I was tired. Holiday:- Yes, famz are looking at me strange, lol... be patient
Hey bud, forward me your email address please

JayBag Jun 20, 2019 10:05am | Post# 21

Hi guys. Yeah by all means automate it and let us know. If we can get an early going and have it running on those time frames it may be worth a shot. Will try and post more charts and setups as of next week. The key thing here though is patience and money management. Charts and visuals to follow soon.
I think it will be awesome if anyone can help code this idea into EA?
will definitely give it a try..

Awesome baba

MzansiObi Jun 20, 2019 10:33am | Post# 22

{quote} I think it will be awesome if anyone can help code this idea into EA? will definitely give it a try.. Awesome baba
Yeah bud, need speaking with Dweb about the prospects of doing that.....he is in the process therefore....Thanks my chief

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 2:15am | Post# 23

1 hourly chart.
We buying 1393.39
TP open

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 2:16am | Post# 24

1 hourly chart. We buying 1393.39 TP open
Trade safe as 4hourly buy zones still far below....

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 3:54am | Post# 25

{quote} Trade safe as 4hourly buy zones still far below....
Entering 4 hourly buy zone.....

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 6:00am | Post# 26

Placed another buy on 1385.1 as we were still in hourly buy area. Closed half position stop at entry.
First buy still under water.

4 hour buy limit order still sits around 1376....
So could have some DD or just close and take loss.
May consider closing and waiting for 4hourly entry as it's Friday and don't want to hold golf over the weekend

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 6:49am | Post# 27

Closing half position, stops moved to BE.

Both trades running risk free

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 10:41am | Post# 28

Hourly chart has given us two trade entries today.

Not bad considering the volatility.

Some caution to be exercised though as the 4 hour buy zones still lagging behind and some bearish RSI divergence building up on lower time frames

MzansiObi Jun 21, 2019 3:34pm | Post# 29

Closing longs.
Won't be holding over the weekend.
Great, profitable week right round.

676f6c64 Jun 21, 2019 4:32pm | Post# 30

Looking good MzansiObi!

dweb Jun 24, 2019 10:20am | Post# 31

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Yeah bud, need speaking with Dweb about the prospects of doing that.....he is in the process therefore....Thanks my chief
mmmmmmMy name is mentioned here... I am busy with my curent EA
Name:  GOLDmicroM1.png
Views: 1915
Size:  25 KB

{quote} I think it will be awesome if anyone can help code this idea into EA? will definitely give it a try.. Awesome baba
JayBag, please proceed to write the EA

MzansiObi Jun 25, 2019 8:12am | Post# 32

Second buy setup giving on hourly for the day.
Trade with caution in this second setup as bear momentum seems to be building.

Trail safely

MzansiObi Jun 25, 2019 1:43pm | Post# 33

4hourly gave 1st buy signal. For the week.

Trail and bank profits

SurfsUp Jun 25, 2019 4:47pm | Post# 34

Watching this thread with interest. Perhaps going to give it a go. Would love to see results as they come in.

MzansiObi Jun 27, 2019 7:42am | Post# 35

Attaching/linking TE that will specifically and Soley focus on this strategy. Will monitor it more intently

MzansiObi Jun 27, 2019 8:13am | Post# 36

Watching this thread with interest. Perhaps going to give it a go. Would love to see results as they come in.
Setup a demo account and give it a whack.....
Your feedback and questions will help kink it out from a thord party perspective

SurfsUp Jun 27, 2019 1:00pm | Post# 37

Attaching/linking TE that will specifically and Soley focus on this strategy. Will monitor it more intently
Did I miss the attach / link?

MzansiObi Jun 27, 2019 1:21pm | Post# 38

{quote} Did I miss the attach / link?
It should be at the top of the page of the thread bud.1hour chart gave plenty a signal today with minimal DD.
Current trades are first of the day that are under water.....

Charm7 Jun 29, 2019 3:20am | Post# 39

{quote} It should be at the top of the page of the thread bud.1hour chart gave plenty a signal today with minimal DD. Current trades are first of the day that are under water.....
Hi
What's your take on Gold for Monday?

MzansiObi Jun 29, 2019 6:51am | Post# 40

{quote} Hi What's your take on Gold for Monday?
Hey bud.

Wait and see how fundies affect price trajectory and we look at what gets printed in the chart.
We should have clarity after LO

© Forex Factory