Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Gurumarra Forex (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=916419)

PipBros May 18, 2019 8:00am | Post# 21

{quote} You would grow a pair and manage the trade as you would any other - look for the times when the price moves in your direction and take as small a loss as you believe you can stomach. That is why I look for results where the EA does not have any losses at all over a 42+ month period - that confirms for me that the strategy is right. I have had to sit on a loss for 3 months before the price returned and took a profit - but it did come back and I did get a profit. At the end of the day all trading is a risk - if you can't afford the loss then...
Thanks. I often find that price does not return or there is very long periods with inactivity. Don't you think that the better approach would be to apply the hedging technique Jim Brown does?

bryanjaldgm May 18, 2019 8:13am | Post# 22

{quote} Thanks. I often find that price does not return or there is very long periods with inactivity. Don't you think that the better approach would be to apply the hedging technique Jim Brown does?
If you could apply it via an EA - perhaps. Hedge strategies generally require a lot of decision making based on experience and a view of the market which only a human mind can grasp. If you have an idea on how that could be applied and make this EA better then I'd be happy to try incorporating it - a code sample would be great if you have one.

PipBros May 18, 2019 8:20am | Post# 23

{quote} If you could apply it via an EA - perhaps. Hedge strategies generally require a lot of decision making based on experience and a view of the market which only a human mind can grasp. If you have an idea on how that could be applied and make this EA better then I'd be happy to try incorporating it - a code sample would be great if you have one.
Hi. Hedging might not be less risky. However, maybe we can reduce the stand still period. I'm no coder, I know a bit here and there. But I can see if I can find some source code or ask a friend to help.

1st things 1st. We need to define how to go about it before coding.

Can you perhaps write down the rules of the system? ...what decisions are made before a trade gets placed?

PipBros May 18, 2019 8:20am | Post# 24

10 people viewing... kind to share your thoughts?

danielhsc May 18, 2019 8:35am | Post# 25

{quote} I have done some testing with fixed lot sizes - only at 0.01 as the algorithm is built to re-invest the profits. You could however set a maximum lot size of say 2 lots and once the account gets large enough to hold that it will continue to trade at that lot size. Over time that has the interesting effect of reducing the DD % (not the $) as the DD % is a function of the account size. I'm currently testing another version so can't oblige just at the moment but will write myself a note to do so when that is finished. My testing has found that...
I'm aware of that. What I mean is that with fixed lot sizes you have a "linear scale" to compare the results and see where it can be improved.
Increasing lot sizes is definitely the way to go when trading, but when analyzing backtests it masks the results.

bryanjaldgm May 18, 2019 8:36am | Post# 26

{quote} Hi. Hedging might not be less risky. However, maybe we can reduce the stand still period. I'm no coder, I know a bit here and there. But I can see if I can find some source code or ask a friend to help. 1st things 1st. We need to define how to go about it before coding. Can you perhaps write down the rules of the system? ...what decisions are made before a trade gets placed?
The code is pretty straightforward - as per above the QMP filter is really the trigger - the code for the indicators is available somewhere here on FF. As I said in the first post I found the indicators are good but the RSIOMA helps to filter out some of the less likely trades. Even so no combination of indicators can absolutely forecast direction. So the strategy is really based on PA history showing that price always seems to return even after having moved away for a long period.
I've tried adding in some MA's (e.g. 100/200) but found this had a negative impact. Not to say that someone may have success with some other combination of indicators. Jim Brown's strategy focuses on signals where the PA is between his long-term and mid-term MA's.
I have provided my code as a basis for others to experiment with and see how it can be improved - as I say I'm quite sure this can be improved in many ways - I just don't have all of the ideas.

bryanjaldgm May 18, 2019 8:38am | Post# 27

{quote} I'm aware of that. What I mean is that with fixed lot sizes you have a "linear scale" to compare the results and see where it can be improved. Increasing lot sizes is definitely the way to go when trading, but when analyzing backtests it masks the results.
Sure - as soon as I can I will provide a sample with fixed lot sizing.

mankindeg May 18, 2019 9:06am | Post# 28

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Hi - can you post your test parms and the pair/chart you are testing and I will check what is happening.

Sure, yes.
I tried to test the EA from january this year to today. Just to see, if it works.
I use the attached settings with the EA.

But as soon as I click on "Start testing", I get the error: "Gurumarra Forex V1.1 USDCHF,M30: array out of range in 'Gurumarra Forex V1.1.mq4' (137,14)"
Do you know how to fix this?

Test.set.txt

bryanjaldgm May 19, 2019 12:22am | Post# 29

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} I'm aware of that. What I mean is that with fixed lot sizes you have a "linear scale" to compare the results and see where it can be improved. Increasing lot sizes is definitely the way to go when trading, but when analyzing backtests it masks the results.
Hi Dan - Here you go. Not quite sure what you can get out of this so I'd be interested to get your feedback.
Click to Enlarge

Name: StrategyTester USDCHF Fixed Lot.gif
Size: 7 KB

bryanjaldgm May 19, 2019 12:24am | Post# 30

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Sure - as soon as I can I will provide a sample with fixed lot sizing.
Hi Dan - see attached. Not sure what you would expect to get from this so interested to get your feedback.
Strategy Tester_ Gurumarra Forex V1.1.pdf

bryanjaldgm May 19, 2019 12:37am | Post# 31

{quote} Sure, yes. I tried to test the EA from january this year to today. Just to see, if it works. I use the attached settings with the EA. But as soon as I click on "Start testing", I get the error: "Gurumarra Forex V1.1 USDCHF,M30: array out of range in 'Gurumarra Forex V1.1.mq4' (137,14)" Do you know how to fix this? {file}
Hi,
I've just run a test using the same params and did not have an issue. There must be something else going on in your environment that is causing this. The code at that point is simply looking back at the last 20 bars to check that the bar just closed is not the biggest (trying to avoid spikes).

No-one else has reported an issue.

fung0625 May 19, 2019 1:20am | Post# 32

its not working on any kind of stop loss, even set 0.99 to max margin draw-down, and the close order pair is not working on DEMO test.

bryanjaldgm May 19, 2019 2:27am | Post# 33

its not working on any kind of stop loss, even set 0.99 to max margin draw-down, and the close order pair is not working on DEMO test.
Share your settings - I can't give any guidance with nothing to look at...

mankindeg May 19, 2019 12:06pm | Post# 34

{quote} Hi, I've just run a test using the same params and did not have an issue. There must be something else going on in your environment that is causing this. The code at that point is simply looking back at the last 20 bars to check that the bar just closed is not the biggest (trying to avoid spikes). No-one else has reported an issue.

Hmm thanks. I will check if the history is working correctly. Thanks anyway. I will forward-test on monday and let you know if it works.
Cheers.

TraderTero May 19, 2019 12:32pm | Post# 35

Have you thought about not doing OCO but instead close the remaining pending order at TP? One option could also be to replace the remaining pending order with a new one using a multiplier and close both trades as a basket if the other one has been also triggered. You could also set SL at the same level as the pending orders.

bryanjaldgm May 19, 2019 7:11pm | Post# 36

Have you thought about not doing OCO but instead close the remaining pending order at TP? One option could also be to replace the remaining pending order with a new one using a multiplier and close both trades as a basket if the other one has been also triggered. You could also set SL at the same level as the pending orders.
Hello. No - I haven't tried any of those options. One thing I did try was having both orders elapse at the same time and, if both got triggered that created a hedge. I did not do a lot of testing with that so all of those options deserve some testing time. The issue for me is that currently I have an old slow laptop and so testing takes huge amounts of time (typically 24-48 hours for a two parameter test run) - though I have now ordered a new desktop - so if others are able to try some of these and give feedback we can all benefit.
Currently I'm working on the partial close idea so it will be a while before I can get back to testing these suggestions.

danielhsc May 20, 2019 9:48pm | Post# 37

{quote} Hi Dan - see attached. Not sure what you would expect to get from this so interested to get your feedback. {image}
Thanks!
That looks so good to be true, 100% win rate is not something healthy. Have you tried forward testing or running on demo with the same settings?

bryanjaldgm May 21, 2019 12:17am | Post# 38

{quote} Thanks! That looks so good to be true, 100% win rate is not something healthy. Have you tried forward testing or running on demo with the same settings?
Currently running live. As I indicated in post #1 I had some errors which did not show up in either back testing or demo mode which resulted in some early losses. The major issue with the EA is managing the DD. A 60% max DD may be too near the wind for some traders. Personally I have the max DD set as 80% in live as I have full confidence in the strategy. Many brokers will automatically close trades in any case when you get to 80% DD. In selecting my pairs and settings I look for what I consider a good combination of DD vs profit. I prefer settings that give a max DD in testing of around 40-50% which gives plenty of room to move. I also retest all pairs each month to ensure that changes in the market (from trending to ranging) are taken into account.

Of my last 9 trades only two losers - this was due to me running live on both a VPS and my PC which caused a conflict - now only running the EA on the VPS.

Again I need to emphasise that these results and settings are with my broker and may not work with your broker. That is why I have no fear of putting my EA out here. Your results will definitely be different and will depend on too many factors including the pairs you trade, time frame, etc.

sontakke2210 May 21, 2019 9:53am | Post# 39

I've tried partial close with the OrderClose function but this does not work with my broker. Reading through the forums indicates the only effective way to do this is to open multiple orders and then close the positions gradually. I'm not sure how to do that last part (gradual closing of the positions) specifically so will keep investigating. If anyone has a function or idea about this please share.
Hi really nice and profitable ea in back testing thank you for that I use it in eu 5 min it's profitable plz reply me
Can I go for real

mankindeg May 21, 2019 10:29am | Post# 40

I started testing and it works, as in it does open trades. I attached it to the USDCHF 30 min chart, with my setfile, that I posted before.
Let's see how it does.

© Forex Factory