Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   MM (Money Maker) Detective Indicator (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=911239)

robots4me Apr 30, 2019 5:12pm | Post# 441

{quote} I am confused by the statement about the "live stream of ticks". I tested on M1, actually it does not repaint, ok. But I do not understand everything else. Please give me an example: - when do I search "explicitly"? - what will be recalculated?
@SwingMan -- Repainting and recalculating are different. You are correct -- your indicators do NOT repaint.

Consider the snippet of code below. You see the iteration starts at limit-1 and decrements to '0'. This loop gets executed with every tick. On an H1 chart this could easily occur hundreds of times. If gadblUpper[] is a dynamic buffer associated with a visible object then during the course of that hour -- i.e. during the time the current H1 bar is being formed -- the gadblUpper[0] element will continuously change. As you know, index '0' is the current bar -- the one that is currently being formed. It won't become stationary until it matures as index '1' and the next bar begins.

for( int i = limit-1; i >= 0; i-- )
{
gadblMid[i] = dblTma;
gadblUpper[i] = dblTma + ( dblAtrMultiplier * dblRange );
gadblLower[i] = dblTma - ( dblAtrMultiplier * dblRange );
gadblRange[i] = Convert_2_Pips(strSymbol, MathAbs(gadblUpper[i] - gadblLower[i]));
}

If you were to place a function like CheckNewBar() at the beginning of start() or OnCalculate() then you can filter out and ignore all ticks except the first tick at the beginning of H1. MT4 guarantees you will receive a tick at the exact beginning of a time frame -- be it M1, ... MN1. However, there is no guarantee you will get a Close tick at the end of the time frame. You can only know what the close tick was after the fact. That is, when you receive a new Open tick, then you can look back in time to see when the previous tick occurred -- that would be your Close tick. It might have been a few seconds before the Open tick, or it could have been minutes or hours before -- you just don't know. It depends on the symbol and the broker's data feed.

There is another way to avoid the appearance of recalculation -- don't count down to '0'. Instead count down to '1':
for( int i = limit-1; i >= 1; i-- )

Just to be clear -- there is nothing wrong with recalculating -- in fact, it often is desirable. If you avoid recalculating index '0' then that means during the 60 minutes the H1 bar takes to form you are ignoring all ticks -- including wicks (i.e. Highs and Lows) -- which might be undesirable.

As for when you would search explicitly? At the beginning of start() or OnCalculate() -- for example:
int start ()
{
if (false == CheckNewBar())
{
return (0);
}
}

Again -- in an indicator this may not be desirable since recalculating is okay. One is much more likely to ignore ticks when programming an EA.

Am I going in the right direction -- or simply making things more confusing? I'm really good at making things more confusing -- that's what my wife and kids tell me all the time. I also tend to repeat myself and exaggerate -- in case you haven't noticed...

TopCover Apr 30, 2019 5:31pm | Post# 442

Different broker, so different OHLC per candle. Regards, Paul
Darn of course! Thatís it - great swd and thanks

Ray

robots4me Apr 30, 2019 6:12pm | Post# 443

Well Done My Friend @robots4me but can i add some more suggestions as well? {image} {image}
@Derekers -- good suggestions -- thanks.

I've updated the indicator and the download link remains at post #1. I added three new settings -- 'Show / Hide Color Legend', 'Location TMA Control' and 'Color TMA Control'. They can be found toward the bottom of the Input dialog under 'Cosmetic Settings'.

With the 'Location TMA Control' there are two options -- Lower-left (default) and Lower-Right. I prefer the Lower-Left because the most important part of the price chart is along the right-hand side. When you place the TMA control on the right side then it sometimes interferes with the price chart (though that depends on the symbol and time frame).

SwingMan Apr 30, 2019 7:44pm | Post# 444

...I'm really good at making things more confusing -- that's what my wife and kids tell me all the time.
Yes, yes. The same is said by my wife about me.

I know the story with the first tick and the close. Have experienced this when trying to program hedging of three pairs (EURUSD, USDCHF, EURCHF). Have fun!

Your explanation is wonderful, I just do not understand what that has to do with this indicator.
I only see that when a new candle appears, the oscillator has a value and a color that does not change until a new candle is drawn.
Whether that happens at tick 0, or 1 or -1 does not interest me. About recalculating as a problem I hear for the first time.

I almost always use the checking of newBar. How did you know that I did not do that now? How should I determine this in a M1 Chart?

JackJones Apr 30, 2019 8:48pm | Post# 445

1 Attachment(s)
I came in later than Rick might have possibly - and it might not even be "correct". Ray {image}
i'm working on a three-touch theory

going to sell the touch of next pivot high and hope for the algos to smash some stops. hopefully im not too late.
Click to Enlarge

Name: Image1.png
Size: 18 KB

RickM Apr 30, 2019 10:08pm | Post# 446

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Have just placed a trade (on Demo of course ) which Might serve a few purposes ( but only if I'm on the right track): 1. Is this a RickM "side trade" which Rick looks for as he waits for George style trades? ( Rick you can advise lol). Rick explains his method at post 335 and 336 in this thread (page 17) 2. Robot4me's MTF level indicator which I love incidentally The MTF levels are a great help. 3. The TMA true on the M15. If this trade is a proper specimen, it might show confluence of the line chart showing the intention...
Hi Ray

Set up appears good but there is two problems. Last hour New York and first hour Asia session is untradable so no point even looking.
Also notice a line was forming along the the top suggesting price was going to break upwards first.

Cheers Rick
Click to Enlarge

Name: ppr.png
Size: 108 KB

Pumi Apr 30, 2019 10:13pm | Post# 447

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} @Blackeagle -- thanks for pointing out the link -- I thought @George had frozen his thread. I think I've mentioned many times my appreciation to @George and his colleagues. But there is this odd passive / aggressive way of communicating information that I've never encountered before and which baffles me. Here is a snippet of what @George just now posted in his thread: {quote} So -- I may be misreading this -- but as a native English speaker I think he is saying not to delete lines, though I might be wrong. Also, I think he insulted me by...
I haven't read all his posts but I think one of the most important points is "when is a valley or peak finished?". If you apply psychology to the trade you might follow on what is actually going on - hence he insists on manual drawing of the lines (it is not the lines but what is behind). A resistance turns into support and vice-versa: I think you can apply the same logic (that at the point where sellers are taken out you might find breakout buyers as according to the image below). I hope I am on the right track at understanding his theory.
Click to Enlarge

Name: NZDUSDDaily (2019-05-01)(1).png
Size: 36 KB

robots4me Apr 30, 2019 11:06pm | Post# 448

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Yes, yes. The same is said by my wife about me. I know the story with the first tick and the close. Have experienced this when trying to program hedging of three pairs (EURUSD, USDCHF, EURCHF). Have fun! Your explanation is wonderful, I just do not understand what that has to do with this indicator. I only see that when a new candle appears, the oscillator has a value and a color that does not change until a new candle is drawn. Whether that happens at tick 0, or 1 or -1 does not interest me. About recalculating as a problem I hear for the...

@SwingMan -- there is no problem. Your indicator looks and works beautifully. It does not repaint. I raised the issue of "recalculating" because sometimes people mistake recalculating for repainting. Consider the image below:

Click to Enlarge

Name: smSmallWick AvgSlope_v3-StrategyTester.png
Size: 94 KB

I'll check for repainting versus recalculation using MT4's Strategy Tester in 'Visual mode'. I'll place the mouse cursor along the timestamp for the most current bar, and adjust the speed so that a new bar appears every couple of seconds. My eyes will then focus on what happens with the indicator at the current timestamp. In the case of the 'smSmallWick AvgSlope" indicator I can see the current histogram bar's height move up and down, and sometimes the color changes. This occurs only with the most recent bar -- i.e. the one that is currently under formation. MT4's Strategy Tester uses either OHLC or tick data for simulating back testing. When using OHLC data it may also attempt to interpolate the data to simulate ticks -- I'm not sure. This may cause an artifact -- I'm not sure.

I use MT4's Strategy Tester because it is quick and dirty and quickly reveals repainters. Since your indicator does not repaint, then I probably should have instead simply attached it to a chart and waited for ticks. It was afternoon on the West Coast of the US, the markets were closed and the symbols weren't ticking very much, so I resorted to using Strategy Tester. In hindsight, that was a mistake -- I should not have brought up this issue.

@SwingMan -- I like your indicator a lot. It seems to provide that extra confirmation I've been looking for. I'm experimenting with it now -- even using iCustom() at a lower time frame and integrating that with the MM Detective indicator. Thanks...

robots4me Apr 30, 2019 11:58pm | Post# 449

{quote} It's good you finally come around to realise it. I knew it from the beginning of his thread, his way or the highway. Flip, flops along the way. Still I tried many times to get a decent discussion going. Not happening. Same with master Kevin. You milk sucking amateur is the standard response. Although I never got the chance to see master George or master Kevin trades this is my personal conclusion. Both of them are doing it the hard way. Leading many other traders down the same path. Final comment on his topic. Time to move on. And, robots4me,...
@skyway -- if you look back toward the beginning of @George's thread you'll see I was one of the first skeptics and people to insult him. It's not that I needed coming around or didn't see the contradictions or didn't hear all the insults. What happened is this -- after seeing @RickM's interest and seeing @bluesteele's conversion (who I had butted heads with on a different issue) I decided to contact @George and speak via Skype. Twice we spoke -- for about an hour each time. And it was great. He really knows his stuff -- which didn't surprise me. But what did surprise me is he truly is a gentleman. His personality in person is totally different than his online personna. And I'm sure this is NOT intentional -- it's just the way he is. What I came away with is (a) @George is brilliant, (b) he is eccentric, and (c) he is a complex person. From that point on the inconsistencies, contradictions, and insults in his posts didn't bother me -- he'll always get a pass from me. I've never met anyone quite like him -- the filters I normally use to judge people don't apply to him.

I'm trying to force myself to move on from @George, and I hope you will to. @RickM's comments here are great and I hope he continues. @bluesteele's comments are always welcome. I hope @moodybot returns and, maybe even @TimeTells -- to provide some pointers or encouragement here and there. Who knows -- maybe @George could find it in himself to stop by and provide some guidance.

One final comment -- because I can't help it. I find it extremely ironic that @George and his colleagues -- the "boundless thinkers" -- who repeatedly challenged and admonished naysayers (or anyone who dared to question @George) to open their minds, have now become the naysayers. Interesting how the tables have turned...

robots4me May 1, 2019 12:15am | Post# 450

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Me too.. {image} NIH
Our sweetheart -- an "alpha" female who runs the show -- and the reason why I get so much exercise these days...

Click to Enlarge

Name: IMG_3272.jpg
Size: 216 KB

Truth is -- I'd much rather talk about dogs and share dog stories than discuss forex and indicators...

robots4me May 1, 2019 1:02am | Post# 451

1 Attachment(s)
algos correcting on AUD? {image}
@JackJones -- you were right. Look what happened to those target levels a short time later -- they were taken-out by the MM with a dramatic break upwards...

Click to Enlarge

Name: AUDUSDM30.png
Size: 45 KB

robots4me May 1, 2019 1:19am | Post# 452

{quote} {quote} {quote} {image} Happy Trading NIH PS. maybe some of you need my ZZ marker indi. (but please don't change her name or she will cry..lol) {file}
@Nih98 -- very interesting indicator, along with an excellent description. I'm experimenting with it now. I think it's a "keeper". Thank you.

robots4me May 1, 2019 1:31am | Post# 453

1 Attachment(s)
watching this one, maybe something like this? {image}
@JackJones -- still watching this one. I think it is currently playing games to lure traders in. When it eventually passes downward below the upper TMA then it might be headed to take-out some of the target levels below. I'm new at this MM psychology thing -- so, mine is not an expert analysis.

Click to Enlarge

Name: EURNZDH1.png
Size: 49 KB

TopCover May 1, 2019 2:03am | Post# 454

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Hi Ray Set up appears good but there is two problems. Last hour New York and first hour Asia session is untradable so no point even looking. Also notice a line was forming along the the top suggesting price was going to break upwards first. Cheers Rick {image}
Thanks Rick - appreciate you taking the time to advise which was very helpful.

I was stopped out after the break upwards just as you suggested might happen! I did think it was a lousy time to place it but have learnt from your reply!

Thanks bud

Ray
Click to Enlarge

Name: Stopped out.png
Size: 41 KB

robots4me May 1, 2019 2:17am | Post# 455

{quote} i'm working on a three-touch theory going to sell the touch of next pivot high and hope for the algos to smash some stops. hopefully im not too late. {image}
@JackJones -- are the 3 touches the 3, Level-2 fractal BOTTOMS used to draw the red line? Since the red line slopes upward then are your expecting the MM will drop the price to collect the stop losses from the long trades that were lured along the way?

I'm new to this MM psychology thing -- so, it really helps me when people elaborate. And if your analysis subsequently turns out to be correct then, great, we all learn something. And if your analysis subsequently turns out to be wrong then, great, we all learn something.

pooh123 May 1, 2019 2:21am | Post# 456

{quote} Money exchanges at airports are offered on a retail basis. It is forex because it is foreign exchange from currency A to currency B. The companies themselves offer these over the counter services by transacting with banks or other foreign exchange companies to provide currency to travellers. It is over the counter spot forex. I agree the rates are crap and rarely updated, but it is still part of the foreign exchange market that processes trillions a day. Spot fx is worth about 30% of the total foreign exchange market not counting forwards,...
It's like a sales clerk at a video store claiming that he works in the movie industry. You can call money exchange at airport spot forex all you want. However I don't think any Forexfactory members do their trading at an airport money exchange. But I won't stop you if you choose to do it.

{quote} This is not necessarily the case. B-book brokers, they don't actually go directly to the market, they instead take the retail trades on their own books, and so the prices will be different to spot anyway due to broker markup. In fact it is faster than A-book as the transaction is booked immediately but the slips are bad. A-book brokers go to the market directly, e.g. ECN's or STP. This makes no difference, "last look" is what you have to contend with from the LP if you are on the retail side. If you trading in a bank, then no. Kind Regards,...
Quite the contrary. B book order filling is often slower than A book. A common trick employed by B book brokers is delayed execution. It works this way:

Let's say you open a market buy order. When your order is received at the server, the broker's ask price is 1.33105. So the server (or back stage ) assigns you a tentative filling price of 1.33105. But it does not complete your transaction right away. It waits a short period of time, like 300 ms. After 300 ms the new ask price may be 1.33100. The server compares your tentative filling price of 1.33105 with the new ask price. Your tentative filling price is higher. So it fills your order and completes your transaction. So the broker rips you off by 0.5 pips in addition to the normal spread. On the other hand, if after 300 ms, the new ask price becomes 1.33110, so your tentative filling price is lower than the new ask price, the server or backstage won't fill your order, and you will see a message "off quotes" or, the server will wait some more but within a limit of couple of seconds for a new ask price which is lower than 1.33105 and then fill your order at 1.33105.

robots4me May 1, 2019 2:21am | Post# 457

{quote} Thanks Rick - appreciate you taking the time to advise which was very helpful. I was stopped out after the break upwards just as you suggested might happen! I did think it was a lousy time to place it but have learnt from your reply! Thanks bud Ray {image}
@TopCover and @RickM -- this is great stuff. I also learned. Thanks gentlemen...

robots4me May 1, 2019 2:24am | Post# 458

{quote} Hi Ray Set up appears good but there is two problems. Last hour New York and first hour Asia session is untradable so no point even looking. Also notice a line was forming along the the top suggesting price was going to break upwards first. Cheers Rick {image}
Hi @RickM -- so, why does a line forming along the top suggest price is going to break upwards first. Is there some MM psychology behind that, or more of an observation. Does it have to do with nearby target levels?

swd May 1, 2019 2:29am | Post# 459

{quote} It's like a sales clerk at a video store claiming that he works in the movie industry. You can call money exchange at airport spot forex all you want. However I don't think any Forexfactory members do their trading at an airport money exchange. But I won't stop you if you choose to do it. {quote} Quite the contrary. B book order filling is often slower than A book. A common trick employed by B book brokers is delayed execution. It works this way: Let's say you open a market buy order. When your order is received at the server, the broker's...
The gist of this conversation was lost a long time ago. Let us agree to disagree.

Kind Regards,
Paul

bluesteele May 1, 2019 2:29am | Post# 460

{quote} @skyway -- if you look back toward the beginning of @George's thread you'll see I was one of the first skeptics and people to insult him. It's not that I needed coming around or didn't see the contradictions or didn't hear all the insults. What happened is this -- after seeing @RickM's interest and seeing @bluesteele's conversion (who I had butted heads with on a different issue) I decided to contact @George and speak via Skype. Twice we spoke -- for about an hour each time. And it was great. He really knows his stuff -- which didn't surprise...
I would like to correct you... Not naysayers at all my friend... Quite the opposite...

What you don't realize is we have been involved in the markets for over 60 years combined...

Don't you think we've looked at every single thing that has been mentioned in this thread

And yes I even had The Trident Trading strategy... Forgive me tho... That was in 1999...

So no were not naysayers... But I can can say with 100% certainty you guys are going down the wrong path with these lines... Been there done it umpteen times... And sat with many traders over the years ...

We speak from experience.....
It's like someone coming into your profession after a handful of years...and going to tell you how to do your job...

I realize theres more than one way to skin a cat... But seriously take my advice...

Go and read and study the last number of charts...George has published... They will tell you more than you can ever find in this whole forum... Yep been there done that too...

Or bang tour head against the wall searching for useless variations of indicators... They don't exist... It's MM psychology....

And if one has the experience and puts the right TMAs up....you can statt tio see the MM psychology at work.... There's alot more to it..thats just scratching the surface...

But it's a helluva start....

And BTW... Skyway has been given the chance more than once to come and sit with George ..but he politely refuses..I then bitches about it.....

So cute all the bullshit crap....
I find it unbelievable that relatively new traders are saying we're naysayers lol....

Not at all and when you realize how wet behind the ears you are... How green you are... Then maybe you might think is old guys might have looked at all you have 10x over a dozen times .....

Take my advive study George's charts... If your half assed serious ..you will...

Nothing personal...and I'm saying this to many on this thread.....

But wake the hell up...

You have a goldmine sitting in front of you.... But you can't see the forest thru the trees...

Cheers
Blue

© Forex Factory