Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   MM (Money Maker) Detective Indicator (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=911239)

robots4me May 11, 2019 3:15pm | Post# 1401

Tip: the boxes will stop expandiing when they are fully filled. If you want to see the larger ones set at lookback bars instead of 3 a higher number. Like 50. This will select the range of the Liquidity candle from high to low to be higher than any of the previous 50 candles. And if you want to see the real gap between two candles use the Gspot indicator i posted with min gap size set at 0.1 and expand 1 or 2 bars to have your chart clean.
@Aqvila -- yes. The boxes will stop expanding when they are fully filled. However, I think it would be even more valuable to watch the gap getting eaten away over time.

handy148 May 11, 2019 3:56pm | Post# 1402

@Aqvila- is there any way that Gspot indicator can be changed to show only the live gaps?

robots4me May 11, 2019 3:56pm | Post# 1403

{quote} Lots of interesting ideas and posts the past few hours. I'm learning a lot -- thanks. I had a comment to share. I can't help try to simplify things conceptually -- otherwise details become overwhelming. So, now I'm thinking in terms of magnets and anti-magnets (repellants). For example: 1. liquidity gaps -- from the MM's perspective, definitely a magnet. A liquidity gap may or may not be obvious -- regardless, the MM will almost always try to fill it in order to release pent-up orders. 2. target levels -- from the MM's perspective, also...
QUESTION: Is there a connection between liquidity gaps and target levels? Are these interdependent or unrelated ways for the MM to profit?

In order for unfilled BUY orders to be released when the MM returns to fill a liquidity gap, does there need to be a sufficient number of currency units available to BUY? Does the MM use target levels to cause trades to close as a means to make units available for the unfilled BUY orders?

Sky77 May 11, 2019 5:10pm | Post# 1404

"Invisible Gaps" - ( Note there is a momentum dimension) Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/businessm...#ixzz5neJzgBiH There are three instances when invisible gaps have to be spotted and acted on: 1. The price moves through resistance or support in a breakaway pattern. When the gap occurs at the beginning of a strong new trend, the invisible gap is possibly the most important session of the change. This is especially true when price moves above resistance...
not sure if this might have a real use...
https://www.earnforex.com/metatrader...RB-Hidden-Gap/

robots4me May 11, 2019 5:26pm | Post# 1405

A bit more about the MM -- who and what I think it is. A number of posts back a YouTube video was posted of some fellow claiming to be a MM and I responded -- "I don't think so"... I don't have the post handy and I apologize to the poster for being too lazy to search for it again. The poster wasn't claiming this was the MM -- just that here's a story from a guy who thinks he's an MM.

For those who are curious and interested, here's a very, very interesting YouTube video of G. Edward Griffin -- the author of "The Creature from Jekyll Island". It is sort of long -- but fascinating. And Griffin is an interesting speaker -- definitely not boring.
Inserted Video

Jekyll Island is a resort off the coast of the state of Georgia in the US. It used to be a resort for the ultra, ultra wealthy. Back in the 1920's there was a world-wide economic depression with no hope in sight. There was rioting in the streets. A small group of very powerful men -- bankers from around the world -- secretly met at Jekyll Island. The outcome was the US Federal Reserve Bank. It has a nice name -- you'd think it was overseen by the US government -- but it is not. It is a non-elected, private institution. The US government is allowed to appoint one member to the board, but neither Congress or the President can tell the Federal Reserve Bank what to do. Furthermore, it is not required to act with transparency -- since it is a private institution. The story of Jekyll Island is not a conspiracy theory. In fact, one of the men who participated in the initial meeting even wrote about it in his autobiography.

I'm sure the MM has grown and evolved from its earliest days. However, this is about the extent of my knowledge and interest in who / what the MM is.

So, what's the point of this post:

1. If you are not familiar with this story, then watch a portion or all of the video. We will then all be on the same page when people refer to MM.
2. I don't think the MM is evil. Do a small number of men have disproportionate power and wealth? Yes, they do -- and welcome to the real world.
3. Do I wish the MM didn't exist? I'm not so sure. It could be the MM is what holds things together -- at least that was the outcome after its formation. It could be that if you were to do away with the MM we'd all be living under a bridge -- I don't know. The point is no one is going to ask you what you think and even if they did, it wouldn't make a difference.
4. The MM is not going away anytime soon.
5. Don't complain about the MM -- it is wasted mental energy.
6. Don't think you can do battle against the MM -- you can't. Rather, now that @George has shown a light then the wisest approach is to try to avoid stepping in the poop left by the MM.

I think @George has put us in a great position. We're beginning to get a better idea of things to look for -- both magnets and anti-magnets. With this new insight I'm still surveying the scenery and not yet sure how best to trade it. But now I have something more concrete to work with since I'm aware there is an MM algorithm at work behind the scenes. @George has proven that.

The markets are closed -- go watch the video...

swd May 11, 2019 5:33pm | Post# 1406

Whatever you are trading, gaps (hidden or otherwise), bands, boxes, or anything else, you MUST have a plan for the fat and left tail distributions that the market will throw at you. Otherwise accounts will be gone. Definitely the last post (honest)

Regards,
Paul

robots4me May 11, 2019 5:34pm | Post# 1407

{quote} not sure if this might have a real use... https://www.earnforex.com/metatrader...RB-Hidden-Gap/
@Husky77 -- thanks for the link. This is a nice indicator.

robots4me May 11, 2019 5:36pm | Post# 1408

Whatever you are trading, gaps (hidden or otherwise), bands, boxes, or anything else, you MUST have a plan for the fat and left tail distributions that the market will throw at you. Otherwise accounts will be gone. Definitely the last post (honest) Regards, Paul
As a rookie, I don't know what fat and left tail distributions are. @swd -- would you mind sharing a screen shot with a description. Thanks...

Coffeebuff May 11, 2019 5:54pm | Post# 1409

2 Attachment(s)
{quote} Hey Robots - mind your health. This is lower on the priority list. And just be careful of the levels of obfuscation at play here... cheers bud Ray
noun

1. the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
    "when confronted with sharp questions they resort to obfuscation"

Name:  Image1.png
Views: 105
Size:  7 KB
Name:  Image2.png
Views: 105
Size:  4 KB

robots4me May 11, 2019 6:01pm | Post# 1410

{quote} noun the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible. "when confronted with sharp questions they resort to obfuscation" {image} {image}
Hey @Coffeebuff -- I hid your post because:

(a) I think you were mocking me.

(b) @parisboy gave it a thumbs up, which confirmed (a).

robots4me May 11, 2019 6:59pm | Post# 1411

{quote} Yup, I am fascinated by this fat and left tail distributions for ages. In my research, I categorise them into 2 types, tradable and non-tradable based on their characteristics. I trade the first more predictable group normally. With the 2nd group, I am more defensive given we can never be sure of the deviation. In half the cases, I pass the trade for now I am not able to take advantage of this type of opportunity. Another choice is to crank up the risk management protection. I hope to see material in this segment how else to go about it....
@swd, @skyway -- could one of you fellows post a screen shot with a description -- nothing elaborate. You've brought up fat and left-tail distributions. Is this a private discussion between the two of you or were you interested in enlightening the rest of us? If your intent is the former, then PM is the best place to carry on.

@skyway -- did you notice that moments after you announced your departure the thread took off like wild-fire. Finally, we didn't need to keep dealing with the contrarians and everyone was on the same page. Now we've got to deal with contrarians again? If you have something valuable to share then go for it and don't do it in a way that has no value like "yup, i am fascinated...", and "In my research...". Sounds like you need to be at the center again.

iamsovereign May 11, 2019 7:01pm | Post# 1412

1 Attachment(s)
Gaps without context are not trade able......

Click to Enlarge

Name: Liquidity-Gaps.jpg
Size: 174 KB

short vid on gaps ..... https://paracurve.com/2011/05/liquid...-removals.html

robots4me May 11, 2019 7:24pm | Post# 1413

Gaps without context are not trade able...... {image} short vid on gaps ..... https://paracurve.com/2011/05/liquid...-removals.html
Thanks @iamsovereign.

You say gaps without context are not tradeable -- perhaps. In the chart you posted it lists 4 types of charts:

1. Common -fills ==> tradeable
2. Exhaustion -fills ==> tradeable
3. Breakaway -no fill ==> not tradeable
4. Runaway -no fill ==> not tradeable

A couple of questions:
1. How would you trade a "fills" gab?
2. What is the percentage breakdown of the different types? What if 98% of gaps are of the Common and Exhaustion type -- i.e. tradeable. Would we still care about the non-tradeable types? I have no idea what the percentages are. But the person who created that chart left out a crucial piece of information.

George AUS May 11, 2019 7:28pm | Post# 1414

@George, Helo Sir I think i already posted the indicator you wanted from Steve and it is identyfing exactly the liquidity gap you showed on the chart. I will post bellow the indicator and the chart you previous posted. In the indicator just set 5000 at the StartCalculation from bar and it will do it's job. {image} {file}
Hello Mr A ,,,,

Thank u sir ,,,

Sorry ,,
I WAS NOT WAITING FOR THE INDICATOR ,,,
I AM ONLY TRYING TO HELP STEVE BUILDING THEM CORRECTLY ,,,,

I am NOT an indicator JUNKIE ,,,,

From what I read here and ur chart ,,,
It is a great indicator for the indicator lovers ( LAZY TRADERS ) ,,,
I believe features that can be added to make it a very useful indicator for them ,,,,

THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY I DO NOT RECOMMEND HEAVY USE OF INDICATORS ,,,
ESPECIALLY FOR TRADERS WHO HAVE NOT YET MASTERED THE ART OF TRADING ! ! ! !

Cheers ,,,,
George

Coffeebuff May 11, 2019 8:15pm | Post# 1415

{quote} Hey @Coffeebuff -- I hid your post because: (a) I think you were mocking me. (b) @parisboy gave it a thumbs up, which confirmed (a).
Not intended, love what you are doing, keep it up.

DiamondMiner May 11, 2019 8:40pm | Post# 1416

{quote} not sure if this might have a real use... https://www.earnforex.com/metatrader...RB-Hidden-Gap/
Did you try this indi out?

robots4me May 11, 2019 8:57pm | Post# 1417

{quote} Did you try this indi out?
@DiamondMiner -- @Husky77 posted a short time ago. Who are you addressing when you ask "Did you try this indi out"?

You're as qualified as anyone else here -- why not try it out and let us know what you find. You've seen some of the preceding posts. People are experimenting, posting charts, etc. Your post comes across as though you expect us to be your guinea pig.

DiamondMiner May 11, 2019 9:03pm | Post# 1418

{quote} @DiamondMiner -- @Husky77 posted a short time ago. Who are you addressing when you ask "Did you try this indi out"? You're as qualified as anyone else here -- why not try it out and let us know what you find. You've seen some of the preceding posts. People are experimenting, posting charts, etc. Your post comes across as though you expect us to be your guinea pig.
I'll let you know what I think after I do.
P

iamsovereign May 11, 2019 9:04pm | Post# 1419

{quote} Thanks @iamsovereign. You say gaps without context are not tradeable -- perhaps. In the chart you posted it lists 4 types of charts: 1. Common -fills ==> tradeable 2. Exhaustion -fills ==> tradeable 3. Breakaway -no fill ==> not tradeable 4. Runaway -no fill ==> not tradeable A couple of questions: 1. How would you trade a "fills" gab? 2. What is the percentage breakdown of the different types? What if 98% of gaps are of the Common and Exhaustion type -- i.e. tradeable. Would we still care about the non-tradeable types? I have no idea what...
Early in my learning - I have always herd that all gaps close... I thought, this is to easy-- so I jumped in and I found the reciprocal.

For the longest time I have been watching the weekend gap .... I just watch it ... paper trade it..... I do not trade it.
If I do trade it there has to be other confluences.

Maybe with more chart time I will see more what @george is showing in his charts concerning liq gaps. would like to understand more how this affects price.

2- There are stats on this .... I ran across this along the way somewhere... I will post it if I find it

Regards

bluesteele May 11, 2019 9:37pm | Post# 1420

Just some.random Saturday thoughts on Gaps........

There's no comparison between trading traditional Gaps and "Hidden" gaps..

I've traded ALOT of weekend gaps quite successfully over many years......but also have been bitten hard on them years ago ... Now I tend to shy away from those types of gaps...

The "hidden" liquidity gaps are new to me. George enlightened me to them...to say the least.
They are now a big part of my trading and to be quite frank are a very very high probability trade setup ...combined with other filters..

Hundreds of trades these last 2 months with them and not a single loss.. I'm not boasting .only saying they are more than Excellent targets ! Especially when one sees them.combined with the bigger picture of the psychology of the MM... There's a definite reason why PA moves that way and then returns to fill. And when you apply other filters WOW ! Amazing results

And No I certainly don't trade every single one that pops up ..as anyone will see with the indi...there are alot of them.

I downloaded the indis posted to have a look at them this weekend. Just took a quick peek now and saw 2 that jumped right out at me and will post the chart to show...
It says alot !

Especially when one thinks of MM Algos and PRECISION !

I also might add that Yes indeed George picks these out like an Eagle.. a fraction of a pip he sees lol....send it live more times than I can count hahaha

Cheers
Kevin

© Forex Factory