Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Ultimate Guppy Multiple Moving Average (GMMA) Thread (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=8742)

clam61 Oct 5, 2006 9:06pm | Post# 1

The Ultimate Guppy Multiple Moving Average (GMMA) Thread

Id like to start this thread for Guppy traders to discuss and learn. I have recently come across this method of analysis and would like to learn from other experienced members.

Introduction to the GMMA

http://www.chartfilter.com/articles/movingaverage.htm

The old GMMA thread with some valuable information and links

http://www.forexfactory.com/forexfor...highlight=gmma

james275 Oct 5, 2006 9:40pm | Post# 2

I have his averages on my screen, and only have a discretionary trading model, when the ma's squish. Is there any system you know of that works? I love the idea, just haven't been able to make it workable.

Can anhyone help.?

clam61 Oct 6, 2006 4:50am | Post# 3

yeah i got his CDs and have been watching them. i dont have the book yet and i think i should have gotten that instead of the cds.

in any case i will write something later about some of the techniques he gives.

anyone else feel free to chime in

TheWicker Oct 6, 2006 8:54am | Post# 4

I usually trade naked, but if I use an indicator it's probably the guppy.

paul2 Oct 6, 2006 11:06am | Post# 5

I've used it, and I like it. I wouldn't consider it an indicator to enter or exit positions by, but it's definatly good for giving you a better 'feel' for how a trend is moving.

baddison Oct 6, 2006 11:19am | Post# 6

I wear pajamas.....LOL!!!!

Squid Oct 7, 2006 8:37am | Post# 7

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!! That's what that means - no indicators. And all this time I've been scratching my head wondering why so many people like to trade with no clothes on and how you keep your butt from sticking to the chair.

Squid

clam61 Oct 7, 2006 10:19pm | Post# 8

1 Attachment(s)
im a GMMA novice so id like to see some examples of successful trades where you used the GMMA.

id also like to get a copy of trend trading with daryl guppy. anyone want to sell a used copy or know of a bookstore in the US that carries it?

here is an example. the short term penetrated through the long term in the blue rectangle. this is a sign of trend weakness and possible trend change down. one could take a trade here but that is rather aggressive. i prefer to wait for two things

1) for the long term to compress, rollover, and expand
2) for the short term to retrace, compress and begin to expand

this happens at the first down arrow. at each successive down arrow more is added to my short position on each retrace and compression. i enter JUST as the short term begins to expand after good compression. i make sure that the short term is still far away from the long term and that the long term is still well expanded

the first down thumb is a trade not taken because the long term has changed too much for me and also the short term has moved rather far up.

in fact i exited at this point.

the second down thumb trade is a long trade not taken because the short term retraced too far and even went below the long term again.
Name:  gbpusd.gif
Views: 45635
Size:  22 KB

TheWicker Oct 8, 2006 1:48am | Post# 9

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!! That's what that means - no indicators. And all this time I've been scratching my head wondering why so many people like to trade with no clothes on and how you keep your butt from sticking to the chair.

Squid

clam61 Oct 9, 2006 2:54am | Post# 10

1 Attachment(s)
guppy is telling us that GBP is going down. stop loss placed at latest high. 1% risked in this trade
Views: 45248
Size:  17 KB

clam61 Oct 16, 2006 10:33am | Post# 11

2 Attachment(s)
here are the guppy indicators i have.

Guppy Short = 3,5,8,10,12,15 ema
Guppy Long = 30,35,40,45,50,60 ema
GMMA Long.mq4
GMMA Short.mq4

clam61 Oct 18, 2006 12:58am | Post# 12

1 Attachment(s)
after the short term averages crossed the long term and the long term averages began to spread out, i entered on the first collapse/expansion of the short terms.

i will add to my position when and if the short term averages expand up
Views: 44671
Size:  16 KB

flourishing Aug 6, 2007 9:18pm | Post# 13

im a GMMA novice so id like to see some examples of successful trades where you used the GMMA.

id also like to get a copy of trend trading with daryl guppy. anyone want to sell a used copy or know of a bookstore in the US that carries it?

here is an example. the short term penetrated through the long term in the blue rectangle. this is a sign of trend weakness and possible trend change down. one could take a trade here but that is rather aggressive. i prefer to wait for two things

1) for the long term to compress, rollover, and expand
2) for the short term to retrace, compress and begin to expand

this happens at the first down arrow. at each successive down arrow more is added to my short position on each retrace and compression. i enter JUST as the short term begins to expand after good compression. i make sure that the short term is still far away from the long term and that the long term is still well expanded

the first down thumb is a trade not taken because the long term has changed too much for me and also the short term has moved rather far up.

in fact i exited at this point.

the second down thumb trade is a long trade not taken because the short term retraced too far and even went below the long term again.
on the chart the arrow and the hand symbol , you draw them by hand or by indicator ? if by indicator could you post the indicator ? thank you.

JoshDance Aug 24, 2007 2:15am | Post# 14

on the chart the arrow and the hand symbol , you draw them by hand or by indicator ? if by indicator could you post the indicator ? thank you.
These are drawn by hand. An indicator which could get even three trades like that in a row in real time consistently would be worth it's weight in gold (i.e., no such thing exists). This thread is about (or at least is supposed to be about) MMAs, and it gives indications about the market, not buy/sell signals. If you're new to forex, go ahead and save yourself a lot of time by just ignoring indicators which use arrows and buy/sell signals, as they work for a while, then they don't work, and the process repeats. GMMA is about studying price relationships, and requires actual thinking! That's why it works.

Pip Hunter E Aug 24, 2007 4:15am | Post# 15

Squid
ROFL

Pip Hunter E Aug 24, 2007 4:54am | Post# 16

I started looking into GMMA when I saw a variaion of it elsewhere. They aren't very helpful over there, and instead seem to be trying to play a "secret ninja master" game with anyone who asks for info lol. Daryl Guppy on the other hand gives 6 methods for using the GMMA, but, the problem with GMMA for me is that it isn't oriented toward short term trading. In any case, tweaking MMAs out for scalping is exciting to me since I'm already looking for what I perceive to be momentum in my current style of trading. Generally I'm looking for one kind of breakout or another, but there's so much price action in between that I miss, so I hope MMAs will fill in the gap.

Big Wave Rider Aug 24, 2007 8:40am | Post# 17

1 Attachment(s)
The guppy with stoch, and macd is a great tool to have, when all three line up and point in the same direction its almost magical, Great entry signals but not so good for exits. Good for spoting divergance as well.
Click to Enlarge

Name: charts.jpg
Size: 43 KB

Canyouseeme Aug 24, 2007 9:01am | Post# 18

A pretty accurate trading strategy is to use two TF both with GMMAs then use the higher TF for direction and the smaller one for the entry.

for instance D1 is up, H4 changes from down to up, you enter after the gmmas are fully crossed or the faster one changes from down to up.

Works on other TFs too.

I usually am too lazy to use two TFs and just trade the GMMAs on H1 only.

xrbor Aug 29, 2007 10:29am | Post# 19

Dear Big Wave Rider,
the picture was quite small so i could not read your settings. Can you please share with us what timeframe you are using and what are the settings of your stochastic and macd indicators? Thank you for your help in advance!
All the best, xrbor.

JoshDance Aug 29, 2007 10:50am | Post# 20

Dear Big Wave Rider,
the picture was quite small so i could not read your settings. Can you please share with us what timeframe you are using and what are the settings of your stochastic and macd indicators? Thank you for your help in advance!
All the best, xrbor.
I'll let BWR answer this, but default settings that most use for macd are 12,26,9, and stochs are usually something like 14,3,3. Be aware that your period settings are not as important as learning how to properly use the indicator--one period will typically work as well as another.

© Forex Factory