Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to maintain discipline (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=867644)

john0415 Jan 9, 2019 8:50pm | Post# 1

How to maintain discipline

In trading,discipline is one of the key to success.
If you stick to 2% risk rule,you rarely blow up your accounts.
But many still just can not do this simple thing and end up blowing up.

Actually,finding edge is not so difficult.
Even simpleset "buying assets and hold" works in the long run in so many markets,notably SP500.
Just keep disciplined and money comes.

How do you keep disciplined?
Talk your thought here!

COGSx86 Jan 9, 2019 11:12pm | Post# 2

1 Attachment(s)
Unlearn what you have learned, control the mind, you must. For many years trained to be disciplined, I have and still strive to be discipline.

A trader must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. Look to the future, the horizon, a trader should not. Never his mind on where he is, hmmm. Adventure, excitement, a trader craves not these things.

A little help, we need

In front of you, use these tools.

tDCS stands for Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation and is a form of neurostimulation (also known as neuromodulation) where very low levels of constant current are delivered to specifically targeted areas of the brain, often producing profound results.

https://thebrainstimulator.net/what-is-tdcs/

Target the risk area of the brain.

https://totaltdcs.com/

Name:  brain.png
Views: 530
Size:  27 KB

hellsbells Jan 10, 2019 12:36am | Post# 3

In trading,discipline is one of the key to success. If you stick to 2% risk rule,you rarely blow up your accounts. But many still just can not do this simple thing and end up blowing up. Actually,finding edge is not so difficult. Even simpleset "buying assets and hold" works in the long run in so many markets,notably SP500. Just keep disciplined and money comes. How do you keep disciplined? Talk your thought here!

I have a friend who practices kinesiology and suggested I press a certain area of my forehead to help centre myself and limit negative thoughts. I held my thumb and forefinger up like a loser and pressed that against my forehead and that's all I remember which is probably not respectful of her talent, but I digress. Yodas post reminded me of it , and mind control is the key. My discipline control is far more basic...

I still struggle with discipline but I think I'm more like one of Pavlovs dogs ( basic psychology 101 quick google will do). By that I mean I have such an aversion to losing large sums of money and the mental anguish that involves, that although I may still make poor decisions I am far far faster at recognizing them by that sick feeling in the gut and the voice in my head telling me to abort abort. So my discipline is not an active controlled one, but a basic physical reaction one. Profit trade feels good, losing trade feels very very bad. Our experience as traders allows us to develop instinct to the trades we place and hopefully respond accordingly. For me , my aversion to a losing trade is so strong that I now break my trading into 2 distinct fields of play. 1st half = defensive mode getting a trade BE, 2nd half maximise profit. I think something very very primal and basic like fear aversion is actually quite effective for discipline.

Also I'll risk more than 2% because I'm now comfortable with my leverage, at fully loaded I may risk 8-10% total 4-6 trades but that's because I KNOW I will close the trade, sometimes too early even. I think for me I am VERY clear on what I consider appropriate/ acceptable PA and if that doesnt happen I will close the trade

I'll add to that that I am a scalper, I trade with TA and PA, I'm not comfortable with trusting fundamentals, I like to see and act with what is right in front of me. Yoda (I believe) takes a more encompassing view and would be far more tolerant of ranging prices and the flow of equity in his account. I'm very different. I hate negative equity. I'm very immediate.

dikoleisaac Jan 10, 2019 1:01am | Post# 4

In trading,discipline is one of the key to success. If you stick to 2% risk rule,you rarely blow up your accounts. But many still just can not do this simple thing and end up blowing up. Actually,finding edge is not so difficult. Even simpleset "buying assets and hold" works in the long run in so many markets,notably SP500. Just keep disciplined and money comes. How do you keep disciplined? Talk your thought here!

Discipline is the hardest criminal in the market, it never shows any emotions.

hardly Jan 11, 2019 4:18pm | Post# 5

I think the best way to maintain discipline in Forex is by applying proper money management technique. If you decide to use only 1% or 2% of your trading capital on your orders and set proper SL and TP, you won't wipe out your account no matter what.

chess king Jan 11, 2019 4:59pm | Post# 6

Indiscipline is to go against rules or incorrect behaviors.
discipline is the reverse.
then you have to be willing to know if you're going to do anything wrong with your standard of discipline,,,before you take any action.

KeenPips Jan 11, 2019 5:10pm | Post# 7

Be patient. Never rush after price and never trade on impulse. Trade based on well-honed analysis and have a trade plan for each trade you take. Of course, trade based on your trading plan.

KP

Maule Jan 11, 2019 5:10pm | Post# 8

For me I noticed an improvement when I implemented the following practical steps:

1. Turn Off the P/L window on my charting software.
  2. Have my trading plan printed out and follow it every trade.
  3. Have my trade all planned out before entering a trade. Never trade on last minute impulse.
  4. Trust my plan. Never doubt.
  5. Know that it is ok to fail. That's how we learn.
  6. Continue to read, study and improve.

kirinda Jan 11, 2019 5:25pm | Post# 9

I have a trading system that contain all rules needed for trading written down. From these rules I make a checklist that I check before entry. In addition to the checklist I have a rule that I never intervene in an ongoing trade: It will hit stop loss or take profit.

Example of checklist: https://www.theforexguy.com/real-money-forex-checklist/

In addition I have the psychological part: I only risk 1% so I doesn't care so much about losing a trade.

havo Jan 11, 2019 5:58pm | Post# 10

PLAN YOUR TRADES: i can bet 100$ evry single noob trader that its always losing NEVER plan what he should do, before even open the trading software !! you NEED to have pre-analized the market for the next day/week and just wait for the right conditions to enter, not just tunr off the PC, open the software and start to hunt/force a trade just because (that its soo noob... please stop)

FOLLOW YOUR RULES: the ONLY way to be consistent is if you FOLLOW the same rules/conditions to enter/exit the market.. period; if you dont do it you are random trading with random results every single time until you blow your account (and it WILL happen if you trade like that)

guess what?? the supposed "edge" you have only works if you take it EXACTLY the same everytime !!! (dohh)

oh !!! i forgot, the 1 or 2% rule you wil NEVER EVER going to grow your account to meaningfull levels (unless you have millions already). that "rule" its just a crutch for bad traders that never knows wth its going to happen with their trades once they place them

4for4 Jan 11, 2019 7:29pm | Post# 11

Patience and discipline can only be achieved when the guideline (plan) itself is not vague ...
Each future trade should have a clear beginning and clear endings ... (EP > SL / TP)

john0415 Jan 14, 2019 11:20pm | Post# 12

Summarize this(boldly):

Step 1.Trade your plan that are written down.
Step 2.Use decent money management.
Step X.tDCS!

Of course,do not foget step 0 that find edges and make plans.

Sometimes,I want to be lobotomized so that my emotion just go away...I am just kidding!
Am I?

john0415 Jan 14, 2019 11:25pm | Post# 13

{quote} I think something very very primal and basic like fear aversion is actually quite effective for discipline.
Use your fear as instrument to keep discipline...
I like this notion.
Fear is always there like watchdog.
Then its better to use them positively.

beefStew Jan 15, 2019 4:25am | Post# 14

1. find a solid pattern/method that use sell/buy limit order. that way you will get less trigger happy
2. i only risk 5% for each trades. that way i will have to lose 20 times in a row before i blow my account
3. before start analyzing or even opening my trading platform, i will say this sentence to myself:
"losing trade does not matter. what is matter is keeping my cool. i still win if i stay calm even in lost trades, i am already lost even in a winning trade if i get emotional".

© Forex Factory