Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   SDTR Strategy Part II (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=864690)

chrisdk2017 Apr 11, 2019 12:04pm | Post# 761

{quote} @chrisdk2017 -- thanks for your answer. Another question -- I'd like to move the EA to another account but there are still a number of open positions. If I set ''allow Trading" to 'false' will the EA continue to manage the open orders (i.e. SL and TP) without opening any new ones? If not, is there a way to gracefully shut things down without manually closing? And another question -- as a US client I'm sort of limited to the number and types of accounts I can open. One of my accounts is with OANDA, which does not allow hedging and strictly...
Not sure about the first question. You have to look into the code.

If it doesn't have that functionality yet, you could code it since you have the code. It should be easy, just add a bool to check when adding new orders.

Reg FIFO, sorry I don't know about it.

robots4me Apr 11, 2019 12:39pm | Post# 762

@chrisdk2017 -- thanks for your answers -- they help a lot. I'll figure something out for graceful exiting. As for FIFO -- I'll just compare trading results between NFA and non-NFA accounts.

mrdfx Apr 12, 2019 1:16pm | Post# 763

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys happy Friday!

Here is the current standing after 3weeks weeks with not intervention. +450 pips in 3 weeks is not too bad for something that you don't even have to touch, I think this pretty much validates that the updates to the strategy has improved the results from the previous thread, if you were also following along there.

From my observations CHF is still the killer and some of the losses were from mostly CHF pairs so if I was to run this live I would def stick to my preference of not trading any CHF & NZD pairs.

I'll check things out at the end 1 month and then maybe open a small live account to let the EA run uninterrupted.

Apologies if I have not been very active here, I've been pretty busy and haven't had much time to manage and interact as much I'd like to, but I do encourage you guys to keep sharing and posting your results.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 14.04.04.png
Size: 168 KB

timidave Apr 12, 2019 2:44pm | Post# 764

Hey guys happy Friday! Here is the current standing after 3weeks weeks with not intervention. +450 pips in 3 weeks is not too bad for something that you don't even have to touch, I think this pretty much validates that the updates to the strategy has improved the results from the previous thread, if you were also following along there. From my observations CHF is still the killer and some of the losses were from mostly CHF pairs so if I was to run this live I would def stick to my preference of not trading any CHF & NZD pairs....
Cool!!! Did any of your trades hit the Initial stop loss of a 100 pips?

mrdfx Apr 12, 2019 3:00pm | Post# 765

2 Attachment(s)
{quote} Cool!!! Did any of your trades hit the Initial stop loss of a 100 pips?
I don't use a 100 pip SL I use ADR % and out of the 13 losses only 1 hit the 100% ADR SL, the other "losses" were mostly BE.
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 15.59.23.png
Size: 155 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 15.59.44.png
Size: 110 KB

timidave Apr 12, 2019 3:10pm | Post# 766

{quote} I don't use a 100 pip SL I use ADR % and out of the 13 losses only 1 hit the 100% ADR SL, the other "losses" were mostly BE. {image} {image}
Wow!!! That is impressive! Maybe i did'nt look at your set file closely. I'm using yours and all the while i was thinking it was a fixed stop loss of 100pips.

robots4me Apr 12, 2019 5:00pm | Post# 767

Here is the current standing after 3weeks weeks with not intervention.
@mrdfx -- thanks for the update. I used your EA in a live micro account this past week and it does great. I had quite a few more trades -- probably because I traded in the M30 time frame and also disabled the Pivot filter. No question the pivot filter improves accuracy, but I also noticed from visual inspection it causes the EA to pass on setups that look profitable. As always, it comes down to trade-offs -- reliability vs higher risk. Anyways, I'm still experimenting.

Overall I would have to say this is the best I've seen. Your strategy is simple and I like the way you make use of the repainting ZigZag -- by using another indicator and "looking back" -- very clever. I like that I can visual confirm how a trade is going. I like that I have the source code and Erwin Beckers' coding is among the best I've seen. I like that your EA trades well and supports multiple pairs and doesn't require recalibration for each pair and time frame. @mrdfx -- I don't have enough superlatives. Thank you...

S.Wladimir Apr 13, 2019 5:30am | Post# 768

1 Attachment(s)
Weekly 08.04./12.04.
Good signal. gives H1 .
M15 _ H4 \ not for all pairs \ continue the test .
Click to Enlarge

Name: SDTR_08.04.12.04 [NZDUSD,H1].jpg
Size: 108 KB

ChicagoRob Apr 13, 2019 9:41am | Post# 769

{quote} I don't use a 100 pip SL I use ADR % and out of the 13 losses only 1 hit the 100% ADR SL, the other "losses" were mostly BE. {image} {image}
The ADR% is only for trailing, correct? So, if the TSL isn't triggered, you are still susceptible to the 100-pip SL, or am I wrong?

mrdfx Apr 13, 2019 11:50am | Post# 770

{quote} The ADR% is only for trailing, correct? So, if the TSL isn't triggered, you are still susceptible to the 100-pip SL, or am I wrong?
No I don't use any fixed SL. If you select ADR % then ADR % will be used for the TP, SL and TS.

I did explain how I use ADR % a few pages back.

https://www.forexfactory.com/showthr...0#post12197510

ChicagoRob Apr 13, 2019 12:07pm | Post# 771

{quote} No I don't use any fixed SL. If you select ADR % then ADR % will be used for the TP, SL and TS. I did explain how I use ADR % a few pages back. https://www.forexfactory.com/showthr...0#post12197510
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused, because I was seeing "100" on the screen, not realizing it was tied to the ADR% setting.

mrdfx Apr 13, 2019 1:12pm | Post# 772

{quote} @mrdfx -- thanks for the update. I used your EA in a live micro account this past week and it does great. I had quite a few more trades -- probably because I traded in the M30 time frame and also disabled the Pivot filter. No question the pivot filter improves accuracy, but I also noticed from visual inspection it causes the EA to pass on setups that look profitable. As always, it comes down to trade-offs -- reliability vs higher risk. Anyways, I'm still experimenting. Overall I would have to say this is the best I've seen. Your strategy...
Somehow missed this post.

Thanks for you very kind words robots4me, I'm happy that you find value in my strategy and this thread and if it helps improve your trading my goal is done.

dicojoxaftr Apr 13, 2019 1:50pm | Post# 773

{quote} Somehow missed this post. Thanks for you very kind words robots4me, I'm happy that you find value in my strategy and this thread and if it helps improve your trading my goal is done.
remind the reminder
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry"

robots4me Apr 15, 2019 3:07am | Post# 774

@mrdfx, @chrisdk2017 -- a question about the use of OnTick (versus OnTimer).

I have several live micro accounts running the SDTR EA, along with other EAs. It's Sunday afternoon on the US West Coast, the markets are open and other EAs are trading -- but not the SDTR EA.

By default I'll open a chart using EURUSD / M30. I then realized the reason SDTR EA was not trading was because it was not receiving any ticks. I've used OnTimer in place of OnTick in other EAs to workaround some thread limitations imposed by MT4. Have you considered using OnTimer (e.g. every 10 seconds) in place of OnTick to drive code execution in the SDTR EA? Since your EA supports all the symbols, wouldn't using OnTimer make it less dependent on which chart (i.e. symbol) it was attached to?

Thanks...

chrisdk2017 Apr 15, 2019 4:00am | Post# 775

@mrdfx, @chrisdk2017 -- a question about the use of OnTick (versus OnTimer). I have several live micro accounts running the SDTR EA, along with other EAs. It's Sunday afternoon on the US West Coast, the markets are open and other EAs are trading -- but not the SDTR EA. By default I'll open a chart using EURUSD / M30. I then realized the reason SDTR EA was not trading was because it was not receiving any ticks. I've used OnTimer in place of OnTick in other EAs to workaround some thread limitations imposed by MT4. Have you considered using OnTimer...
Have you checked if tradeonsunday is enabled?

Personally I am not not going to change much in the EA but you can if you want.

I have added a min pip to close for a no SL test I am running but it will take a couple of weeks to show whether it is worthwhile.

robots4me Apr 15, 2019 4:13am | Post# 776

Have you checked if tradeonsunday is enabled?
@chrisdk2017 -- Hmmm, my current setting is TradeOnSunday = false. I guess that would explain things.

I'll be curious to learn how your new closing condition works.

Thanks for coming to the rescue, again...

timidave Apr 15, 2019 5:35am | Post# 777

{quote} @mrdfx -- thanks for the update. I used your EA in a live micro account this past week and it does great. I had quite a few more trades -- probably because I traded in the M30 time frame and also disabled the Pivot filter. No question the pivot filter improves accuracy, but I also noticed from visual inspection it causes the EA to pass on setups that look profitable. As always, it comes down to trade-offs -- reliability vs higher risk. Anyways, I'm still experimenting. Overall I would have to say this is the best I've seen. Your strategy...
I agree with you on your comments about the EA. Pls where can find the source code? I sent you a PM.

timidave Apr 15, 2019 5:38am | Post# 778

@mrdfx, and @chrisdk2017, well done with the EA. Can any adjustment be made so the the trades that ends in breakeven is not a negative? That will help to reveal the actual accuracy of the win/loss statistics of the EA.

jdva Apr 16, 2019 4:52am | Post# 779

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} No I don't use any fixed SL. If you select ADR % then ADR % will be used for the TP, SL and TS. I did explain how I use ADR % a few pages back. https://www.forexfactory.com/showthr...0#post12197510
Very good idea using ADR20 %...however a disadvantage is getting stopped out at BE easily on the low volatility pairs (below 60 pips ADR20).
A solution could be to open a second EA especially for the lower volatility pairs but then with higher ADR value about 130-150%.

Just for fun and testing purposes I have enabled the Pivot S/R38 feature as well on ADR 100% EA...looks good so far:

Click to Enlarge

Name: SDTR EA 38.png
Size: 17 KB

braintheboss Apr 16, 2019 5:37am | Post# 780

{quote} Very good idea using ADR20 %...however a disadvantage is getting stopped out at BE easily on the low volatility pairs (below 60 pips ADR20). A solution could be to open a second EA especially for the lower volatility pairs but then with higher ADR value about 130-150%. Just for fun and testing purposes I have enabled the Pivot S/R38 feature as well on ADR 100% EA...looks good so far: {image}
The trick is mix EA ADR exit with pivots ( but discarding others EA tools in exits )

© Forex Factory