Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum/69-platform-tech)
-   -   Vanilla MT4 (https://www.forexfactory.com/thread/803172-vanilla-mt4)

emmzett Aug 21, 2018 6:05am | Post# 41

1 Attachment(s)
If you are curious how fully automated trading indeed can work read on at the following links:

Me and my machine.pdf
Deltix Quantoffice low latency productivity

How to justify the cost of Deltix with Deltix Cloud Services

However for a single retail trader even with good developer skills this is so far out of reach that you have to seriously question yourself. You simply cannot substitute a full developer team with a single even highly motivated 24/7 retail developer/trader. This is not how it works and one of the reasons of the high failure rate. I talked to the Deltix CEO and he showed interest if I can provide a tradable account size of 500k.

Back to MetaTrader: Use it for semi-automation and to support your trading as much as possible with metrics, analytics, notifications, risk control, maybe synthetics, maybe a few indicators (overrated anyway). For this MT4 is the perfect tool.

Nicholishen Aug 21, 2018 8:05am | Post# 42

{quote} Let me try to answer that. Git is just a command line tool and the standard versioning system for developers. Whether you publish your repo online visible to anybody, or create a private repo at Github accessible only by you, or create a private repo on a private server (accessible only by you and not even by Github), or don't use a Git server at all and store your repo locally on your machine or a USB stick (in this case your development code base connects to a "Git server" on your local machine), is completely up to you. Git itself (the...
I agree and I'd like to add that having your server in your garage doesn't make it more secure. Conversely, I know that if I were bragging on the internet about my grail being hosted in my garage - then my number one opsec threat is a physical break-in. I'm also certain that anything hosted behind a consumer grade router on a home network is far less secure than say an EC2 instance sitting behind AWS, cloudflare, etc.

VEEFX Aug 21, 2018 1:04pm | Post# 43

{quote} Let me try to answer that. Git is just a command line tool and the standard versioning system for developers. Whether you publish your repo online visible to anybody, or create a private repo at Github accessible only by you, or create a private repo on a private server (accessible only by you and not even by Github), or don't use a Git server at all and store your repo locally on your machine or a USB stick (in this case your development code base connects to a "Git server" on your local machine), is completely up to you. Git itself (the...
Thanks emmzett for sharing. It's quite fascinating. With the exception of few core functions, my EA is literally a patch work of all open source available on the net (and the irony is some of it I just don't understand from a coding standpoint lol). That is how I learnt MQL... by reading example code from others lol. It's not just an automated system but a replica of my entire trading plan with hardcoded values as I see fit (hence the need for numerous compiles during the day/week as I see fit). I totally agree with you on running unattended autobots. They simply don't exist so I have taken the route of parameterize'ng ALL my manual/discretionary actions with controls (and "punishments") in place if I do stupid things. I found this the easiest way to free my mind into doing other more important things in life (turning 50 puts life in a different perspective).

All these parameters are also controlled remotely via MT4 mobile so gives me the freedom to trade while I sleep or when I am on travel. Anyways, all valid points. One day, I might decide to release my entire automation as it will not affect my own performance and it has more than 300+ input parameters. I have made sure of that in my design by making sure two exact copies of EA running in parallel will with the exact same parameters will yield in different trades (and outcome) as it can generate over half a million magicnumbers (i.e. unique trade possibilities all from just one universal entry setup when run in full capacity mode i.e. 10M account size)

My kids are using git in their school/college projects so this ol' dawg definitely has some catching up to do in this space :-

Thanks again.

If you are curious how fully automated trading indeed can work read on at the following links: {image} Deltix Quantoffice low latency productivity How to justify the cost of Deltix with Deltix Cloud Services However for a single retail trader even with good developer skills...
Agree. MT4 is just a analytical stepping stone for me to move on to something else if my strategy proves its worth beyond 3+ yrs of consistency. If not, I will be completely out of the trading scene for good.

emmzett Aug 21, 2018 4:46pm | Post# 44

...turning 50 puts life in a different perspective...
Welcome to the club.

masterx584 Aug 23, 2018 7:38am | Post# 45

"For example, if a particular CPU-intensive algorithm is used by multiple models, where's the sense in each model calculating those algorithm values individually and wasting CPU cycles? One component or trading model can calculate the values and write them back as a custom data stream for wider consumption - calculate once, use many." pasted from
Deltix QuantOffice: Low Latency Productivity
Published in Automated Trader Magazine Issue 20 Q1 2011

"I am pure quantitative algorithmic currency trader.My initial computation takes 30 sec too but i am able to pack that data in a way that allows me to save it on HDD & to reutilize it with the new arrived ticks as it is without any other computations." quoting myself from the FIX Api thread .
hmmm...what they know and me a small retail don't?

C-12 Nov 17, 2018 5:58am | Post# 46

Thanks for this excellent utility.

You've just made my life a whole lot easier.

C-12 Dec 16, 2018 7:36am | Post# 47

*Edit* Ignore below. The MT4 instances have all updated themselves.

-------

Is it possible to update this to the latest build?

I've just noticed the latest MT4 version fixes an annoying issue when time frame switching (hotkeys-slim) with an EA attached.

Current: V4.00 Build 1126 (20 Jun 2018)

New: V4.00 Build 1160 (14 Dec 2018)

Cheers!

illiquid Feb 5, 2020 9:44am | Post# 48

Hi!

Does anyone use this Vanilla MT4?
It's been over 1 year since the last post.
I used it myself on my old computer and it was perfect. I wonder if there are any known problems and whether everything works with the current MT4.

Cheers
illiquid

C-12 Feb 5, 2020 3:07pm | Post# 49

Hi! Does anyone use this Vanilla MT4? It's been over 1 year since the last post. I used it myself on my old computer and it was perfect. I wonder if there are any known problems and whether everything works with the current MT4. Cheers illiquid
Works 100% fine.

damjano Aug 12, 2020 10:09am | Post# 50

Hello,
have you got modified terminal.exe that works on vista?

E3v3a Oct 16, 2020 3:35pm | Post# 51

{quote} Symlink the MQL4 folders of all your parallel installed terminals to the repo and make changes only in the repo (use the Link Shell extension for this).
What kind of link would you use for that in Windows? Hard-link (junction?) or soft-link?

E3v3a Oct 20, 2020 4:50pm | Post# 52

{quote} What kind of link would you use for that in Windows? Hard-link (junction?) or soft-link?
Apparently (and fortunately) it is using windows *softlinks* and is a Python script packaged with *pyinstaller*.

© Forex Factory