Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Recycle Bin (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   (binned per thread starterís request) What have you learnt since (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=684709)

NeilWagner Aug 6, 2017 6:15am | Post# 61

For me, itís only 4 months! But I have improved a lot on news trading by using FF! I see, there have enough resource on news trading, so many valuable threads! Besides, the members of this Forex community are too much helpful, a great learning place indeed!

staylow Oct 7, 2017 6:04pm | Post# 62

I only recently joined but have been someone sitting on the sidelines for years. Dunno what has prompted me to sign up TBH. Possibly that I've had so much value from FF from the right threads. To those looking for good threads, check out the classics like the James 16 thread. One thing - don't read these classic threads just to blindly follow strategies. As you read constantly think: do I agree? If you do so, you are constantly critically assessing your own approach and may find things you can do better ...

mlawson71 Oct 9, 2017 11:27am | Post# 63

I have learned that I am not alone, that there are plenty of other struggling but stubborn traders like me out there. That alone provides me with great comfort.
As to the actual knowledge, I've read plenty of useful suggestions about strategies, about how to deal with my emotions while trading, even recommendations about books a trader should read.

NeilWagner Oct 12, 2017 12:11am | Post# 64

I have gathered a good trading skill on fundamental analysis! Before, I lost my money during the major news events but I am not! Thatís my main achievement.

LuizGuilher Jan 11, 2018 4:48am | Post# 65

Yes, I am a new member in this community! But, I have been using Economic Calendar of ForexFactory from the last 2 years! For doing fundamental analysis; FF is my 1st choice! By the way, now I am active here, because I wanna learn more since I have seen, there have so many useful threads here on technical and fundamental analysis! I am sure, I am on the right way with the FF community!

hanover Jan 11, 2018 12:41pm | Post# 66

Not specifically FF, but after 15 years of research, I still haven't found a methodological contrivance that delivers a free lunch: for every benefit (in terms of reducing risk; or increasing return, or probability of success) there somewhere lurks an (approximately) commensurate drawback (more here). Hence success ultimately comes down to analysis that locates some kind of exploitable probability-based bias or inefficiency in the way that price invariably moves. Any entry/exit/MM device will eventually prove impotent, unless it somehow exploits a market bias or truism that puts you net long while price is rising, and/or net short while price is falling, frequently enough to overcome costs. Anything less is merely gambling, a 50/50 crapshoot where costs will eventually drain your account.

alphaomega Jan 11, 2018 1:23pm | Post# 67

1 Attachment(s)
I have learned that almost everything you can read in trading books (the popular trading "wisdom") is 100% BS!
I have learned that our ability to analyze the markets for the purpose to "forecast" them is mostly irrelevant.
I have learned that we can beat the market with incredibly simple algorithms which include no fundamentals, no indicators, nothing! Just using the current price.

The true holy grail in trading does exist, but it's not what you expect it to be.

The holy grail is a "simple" equation which so far proves impossible to solve.

Here it is: HG=sum(PA TOTAL)-FT; (You can put it in different format with multiple variables....)
But in the end of the day it all comes down to a "simple" problem - How to eliminate (filter out) the fat tails? By fat tails I mean days(periods) like the one on the screenshot below:
Click to Enlarge

Name: fat tail.png
Size: 32 KB

If you(anyone) find a way to filter out these days, I promise to give you the trading algorithm which makes money EVERY SINGLE DAY! With the exception of the days classified as fat tails.

Shabs19 Jan 11, 2018 2:08pm | Post# 68

Make things simple as possible, but not simpler

COGSx86 Jan 11, 2018 6:46pm | Post# 69

1 Attachment(s)
I have learned that almost everything you can read in trading books (the popular trading "wisdom") is 100% BS! I have learned that our ability to analyze the markets for the purpose to "forecast" them is mostly irrelevant. I have learned that we can beat the market with incredibly simple algorithms which include no fundamentals, no indicators, nothing! Just using the current price. The true holy grail in trading does exist, but it's not what you expect it to be. The holy grail is a "simple" equation which so far proves impossible to solve....

Banks exchange money everyday, domestically and internationally, at the same time they provide large loans to the market. How do they capitalize their vaults?

They purchase foreign and domestic government bonds. Yes the markets will get excited from time to but the market will always finds in median.

What does this all mean from a technical aspect?

Who has the largest money supply in the world? USD obviously.
Banks exchange money everyday, domestically and internationally, at the same time they provide large loans to the market. How do they capitalize their vaults?

They purchase foreign and domestic government bonds. Yes the markets will get excited from time to but the market will always finds in median.

What does this all mean from a technical aspect?

How has the largest money supply in the world? USD obviously.
Click to Enlarge

Name: EU+Bonds.jpg
Size: 246 KB

gachapin Jan 11, 2018 10:14pm | Post# 70

1. Do not copy a strategy, build your own strategy.
2. Keep it simple and logic
3. FF is full of Trolls and wannabes

dukas_trader Jan 11, 2018 10:48pm | Post# 71

1. Do not copy a strategy, build your own strategy. 2. Keep it simple and logic 3. FF is full of Trolls and wannabes
thats a good answer.

1 of this extrem bad examples is in your subscribtions list:"SalvatoreD". he was one of the biggest faker/cheater here in forexfactory a long time ago, to bring money in pamm account with the goal to let it crash later, so that the broker connected get all the money. he is only staff from the broker or extrem connected for this fraud.

gachapin Jan 11, 2018 10:52pm | Post# 72

{quote} 1 of this extrem bad examples is in your subscribtions list:"SalvatoreD". he was one of the biggest faker/cheater her in forexfactory a long time ago, to bring money in pamm account with the goal to let it crash later, so that the broker connected get all the money. he is only staff from the broker or extrem connected for this fraud.

Das ist Vergangenheit. The subscriptions are updated lol

aaven Jan 11, 2018 11:13pm | Post# 73

{quote} Banks exchange money everyday, domestically and internationally, at the same time they provide large loans to the market. How do they capitalize their vaults? They purchase foreign and domestic government bonds. Yes the markets will get excited from time to but the market will always finds in median. What does this all mean from a technical aspect? Who has the largest money supply in the world? USD obviously. Banks exchange money everyday, domestically and internationally, at the same time they provide large loans to the market. How do they...

COGSx86,

"They purchase foreign and domestic government bonds."

Could you please go more into this concept, how bonds and currencies are interlinked. Are bonds are leading in nature and how/why?

Thanks

Mingary Jan 12, 2018 12:24am | Post# 74

I have learned that almost everything you can read in trading books (the popular trading "wisdom") is 100% BS! I have learned that our ability to analyze the markets for the purpose to "forecast" them is mostly irrelevant. I have learned that we can beat the market with incredibly simple algorithms which include no fundamentals, no indicators, nothing! Just using the current price. The true holy grail in trading does exist, but it's not what you expect it to be. The holy grail is a "simple" equation which so far proves impossible to solve....
Hi,
Can you explain what you mean by Fat Tail in your exemple and why it's not a good thing ?
Thanks

COGSx86 Jan 12, 2018 12:34am | Post# 75

{quote} COGSx86, "They purchase foreign and domestic government bonds." Could you please go more into this concept, how bonds and currencies are interlinked. Are bonds are leading in nature and how/why? Thanks

If you have time, check out this thread (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=570673), it explains pretty much everything, revolving around interest rates and it's relation to the forex market. The idea posted in this thread is based on that same concept, but removes one time events, focusing on the continuous change of the markets.

cvds16 Jan 12, 2018 12:40am | Post# 76

I learned that patience is key when you are sitting in a good position ... like they say: 'you got to wait till the cows come home' ...
I learned also how to use ema's and the slow stochastic oscillator to better analyse the market which is an everchanging being driven by supply and demand and greed and fear. Show no fear when others do ...
I also learned ATR to determine stops and targets.

alphaomega Jan 12, 2018 1:08am | Post# 77

{quote} Hi, Can you explain what you mean by Fat Tail in your exemple and why it's not a good thing ? Thanks
Fat tails = strong, smooth, persistent trends almost without any corrections. Basically, any day with range above average and max correction < 28%.

This type of trading day happens less than 5% of the time. These days are the occasional "black swans" in some of my most promising automated systems.

If we can find a way to eliminate these days from the system, then we automatically have a bulletproof system which makes money every time it open a new position. With this system it becomes impossible to lose. It's the ultimate holy grail.

If we can find a way to filter out even only 50% of these days - we still end up with very solid system.

There is no forecasting, no guesswork, no analysis. Just pure automated money machine which brings profit approximately 220 days each year.

I coded this system years ago. It works perfectly....except during the smooth days. Then is loses all profits and more.

Mingary Jan 12, 2018 1:24am | Post# 78

{quote} Fat tails = strong, smooth, persistent trends almost without any corrections. Basically, any day with range above average and max correction < 28%. This type of trading day happens less than 5% of the time. These days are the occasional "black swans" in some of my most promising automated systems. If we can find a way to eliminate these days from the system, then we automatically have a bulletproof system which makes money every time it open a new position. With this system it...
It sounds like you coded a mean reversal system .. and of course trend following is not any better.
The clue might be that when it works perfectly the system is not in a fat tail. And when the fat tail occurs the idea would be to get in the correct direction at least for a break even. So why eliminate these days ? after all, the real money maker is on the big move.

alphaomega Jan 12, 2018 1:27am | Post# 79

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Hi, Can you explain what you mean by Fat Tail in your exemple and why it's not a good thing ? Thanks
To understand my point, look at this screenshot below and try to answer the following questions:

How risky is this type of market environment if we also assume that there is no expected high impact news during this time?
Do you have to forecast during such environment in order to make money?
What type of action during such environment is going to result in losses?
Is it even possible to lose money during such environment?

Click to Enlarge

Name: Chop.png
Size: 90 KB

Mingary Jan 12, 2018 1:33am | Post# 80

{quote} To understand my point, look at this screenshot below and try to answer the following questions: How risky is this type of market environment if we also assume that there is no expected high impact news during this time? Do you have to forecast during such environment in order to make money? What type of action during such environment is going to result in losses? Is it even possible to lose money during such environment? {image}
Indeed, to me this is perfect. Which ever side you are on you are either in profit and if not you just have to wait at least to break even..

© Forex Factory