Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Optimized Trend Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=68181)

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 7:18am | Post# 1

Optimized Trend Trading

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

Attached is a screenshot from my TopCat software for the EURUSD hourly for the last few days. Did quite well getting 500+ pips. Market conditions are horrible now so standing aside (and also having to do day job :-(( as well so no market fun!). In this display mode, the bars are coloured green where we are LONG and red where we are SHORT. (Don't get these confused with colour coding of up and down bars). TopCat is only interested in HI/LO so OP/CL not shown.

TopCat stands for "Trend Optimised Phase-Cyclic Analysis Trader" and uses some very fancy DSP from my days designing the Nimrod Searchwater radar. The main filter has a smoothing equivalent to a 40-bar MA but with a lag of around 0.3 of a bar, coupled with excellent phase linearity. Main filter is the blue line with the range-gate trigger in red. Crossover marks entry/exit.

So in trends, we do spectacularly well, capturing up to 85% of the trend. In choppy whipsaws the radar clutter filter tries to keep us out (in the screenshot these are the white bars).

Good hunting!!
Click to Enlarge

Name: EURUSD1.PNG
Size: 94 KB

Ibuks Feb 1, 2008 7:22am | Post# 2

Why show us?

Hi codebreaker,

Are you sharing it with us or just showing it off?

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 7:30am | Post# 3

Just for your interest...

Just thought folk might be interested...... That's all.

Especially in what can be done with sophisticated Digital Signal Processing. I have heards various rumours that 90% of all traders lose money and other rumours that 90% of all money is traded using some sort of MA (or one of the bewildering range of indicators based on them). I just wonder if there is a correlation here?

walb99 Feb 1, 2008 7:44am | Post# 4

2 Attachment(s)
you can use the painted bars indicator as well
If there is a coder around, maybe he can improve this indicater a little.
painted jr2007-34e.mq4
Click to Enlarge

Name: painted bars-2008-02-01 13.39.gif
Size: 39 KB

SeekingLight Feb 1, 2008 8:13am | Post# 5

1 Attachment(s)
No idea how this is different from a crossover. Attaching a local simple JMA crossover I curve fitted to resemble your chart.

Just because you found one of 52 weeks that make nice pips doesn't make it an exception to what you said:

have heards various rumours that 90% of all traders lose money and other rumours that 90% of all money is traded using some sort of MA (or one of the bewildering range of indicators based on them). I just wonder if there is a correlation here?
Ya know?

Where price goes, indicators follow, that's not really new

Both swing ends had pure price action setups; we actually just had a chat session on this pair and the swings yesterday over at J16
Click to Enlarge

Name: blablah.gif
Size: 25 KB

walb99 Feb 1, 2008 8:16am | Post# 6

if you don't mind, could you post the details of the jma cross

SeekingLight Feb 1, 2008 9:29am | Post# 7

if you don't mind, could you post the details of the jma cross
Doh!

The irony

There is no point in it...I just randomly picked two time periods, one faster, one slower. OF COURSE they will cross when direction changes!
Because PRICE will have moved.

The whole point I was trying to make is that PRICE will show you the same information any moving average will, just sooner and more precise.

There is no point to MA crossover systems..

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 12:10pm | Post# 8

Oh dear......

Not quite sure what to say, really.....

I don't quite see how a system that:

o gets one into a trend early,
o keeps you in to the end, and
o keeps you out-of-the-market during non-trending consolidation periods

can be described as having "no point".

Sure, this was a good week - that's why I posted it. Other weeks are awful for trend followers, but I'm not trading then! (I do actually have a life outside of all this!!)

If anyone can tell me why such a system has "no point", I'd be mighty glad to hear it....

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 12:16pm | Post# 9

Jurik who?

BTW, are folk paying good money for this JMA thingy? Looks to me like a simple raised-cosine-windowed root-nyquist filter with the coeffs tweaked by the trusty old Remez Exchange algorithm. Should take around 10 minutes on MatLab to knock up something equivalent or better...

smjones Feb 1, 2008 12:19pm | Post# 10

BTW, are folk paying good money for this JMA thingy? Looks to me like a simple raised-cosine-windowed root-nyquist filter with the coeffs tweaked by the trusty old Remez Exchange algorithm. Should take around 10 minutes on MatLab to knock up something equivalent or better...
Are you selling your system?

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 12:27pm | Post# 11

Reply to smjones

I hadn't thought about selling it. My aim was to trade it!! I figure to make more sheqelyim (Hebrew plural of sheqel ??) by putting my own money where my mouth is than trying to relieve other folk of theirs...

From a personal standpoint, I would not be happy trading a "black box" I had bought. I would need to know the guts of the thing. You can only do that by releasing source, then likely you never sell another...

smjones Feb 1, 2008 12:29pm | Post# 12

I hadn't thought about selling it. My aim was to trade it!! I figure to make more sheqelyim (Hebrew plural of sheqel ??) by putting my own money where my mouth is than trying to relieve other folk of theirs...

From a personal standpoint, I would not be happy trading a "black box" I had bought. I would need to know the guts of the thing. You can only do that by releasing source, then likely you never sell another...
Thanks for the answer...

cryten Feb 1, 2008 12:32pm | Post# 13

QQE SF 1 would look pretty nice too on the chart you posted as would most indicators. please post a nice and choppy range to really make us drool...or not?

SeekingLight Feb 1, 2008 12:48pm | Post# 14

QQE SF 1 would look pretty nice too on the chart you posted as would most indicators. please post a nice and choppy range to really make us drool...or not?

Hehehe
Exactly.

Say, don't I know that little critter guy from somewhere...

The reason there is no point is what you already stated..

Sounds so nice:
Other weeks are awful for trend followers, but I'm not trading then!
That's easy to type, isn't it?

See, er...the one single problem of anyone trying to trade?
They can't predict the future!
So, er..
They don't know WHEN things will be awful or not. You know, the whole not being clairvoyant thing of mere mortals n all that
So, er..during trending phases all MA crossovers "work", all oscillating, crossing, whateveryouwantopick thingies will make pips, obviously.
The only trouble is that pesky linear time continuum problem..

And why do they work?
Because they FOLLOW price.
This was also my point if you didn't notice it. The signal comes AFTER there's new higher highs and lower lows.
Price action can tell you this might be coming BEFORE this has already happened for x bars.

Anyhow. I admire and envy your ability of being able to foretell when a market will or won't trend in a week.
I'm quite certain around 99.9%-100% of all the other people one could ask do not know ahead of time with certainty.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Codebreaker Feb 1, 2008 12:58pm | Post# 15

To drool or not to drool, that is the question

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if I can make you drool! Attached the hourly EURUSD chart from last 2-and-a-bit days ending at the 1700 bar about 45 minutes ago. As you can see, most bars are white, indicating that the clutter filter reckons the market is too congested to trade safely.

We might have had a few pips on the green bit and it looks like we are just opening a short position, but I don't trade at weekends so I am out.
Click to Enlarge

Name: EURUSD2.PNG
Size: 20 KB

walb99 Feb 1, 2008 1:52pm | Post# 16

1 Attachment(s)
what do you think about this?
Click to Enlarge

Name: Toptrend 2008-02-01 19.29.gif
Size: 15 KB

hayseed Feb 1, 2008 1:59pm | Post# 17

crossovers

hey seekinglight..... when you mentioned ,,,, There is no point to MA crossover systems..... is that to say valid ma crossover systems do not exist...... or that such better systems exist that there is no point in considering ma's...... just wonderin that's all..... thanks .......h

walb99 Feb 1, 2008 2:08pm | Post# 18

1 Attachment(s)
trend indicator + "no trend"-filter
Click to Enlarge

Name: top of the top  2008-02-01 20.04.gif
Size: 24 KB

giraia_br Feb 1, 2008 2:18pm | Post# 19

i want to add fuel to the flames and quote MuddBuddha (he is trading a system using things like walb99 is posting: paintbars and volatility indicator).

Mudd is one of the most respected guys here( like Seek, Smjones).

"...break out of the forex dogmas that often exist concerning MA systems, Naked Trading, price action,funamentals, etc. All things have benefit to an open mind and all things hinder to a closed mind..."

walb99 Feb 1, 2008 3:14pm | Post# 20

2 Attachment(s)
Hi giraia_br!

Are you familiar with muddbuddhas step MA? I have a screenshot and the indicator, but have difficulties with the settings.
Click to Enlarge

Name: step ma 2008-02-01 20.53.gif
Size: 18 KB
StepMA_v7.mq4

© Forex Factory