Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to identify the most Ranging Zones (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=661314)

KayStreet May 3, 2017 3:26am | Post# 1

How to identify the most Ranging Zones

With 5 currency pairs on my watch list, I need to be able to rank them based on how ranging they are. (Ranging meaning least trending)
From the most ranging to the least.
With that information, I will ONLY look to take a trade (using my entry creteria) from the MOST ranging of the 5.
_____
Problem: Is there an indicator or a method I can use to identify/rank which one ranges most?

KayStreet Jul 31, 2017 7:36am | Post# 2

Anybody got an idea?

srt Jul 31, 2017 8:25am | Post# 3

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody got an idea?
Create grids & view. Better than any indicator IMHO.
Click to Enlarge

Name: Grid.jpg
Size: 252 KB

KayStreet Aug 27, 2017 10:02am | Post# 4

Create grids & view. Better than any indicator IMHO.
Thanks srt.
You seem mean that one can visually look at the general buildup/gradient of the the market.
Great idea. Wish you would expound a little more.

KayStreet Sep 24, 2017 3:22pm | Post# 5

I like how in hindsight, everything looks pretty clear. Unfortunately, we can't open a trade yesterday.
Back to the problem..how does the range become visible soonest?

MoneyZilla Oct 8, 2017 5:19am | Post# 6

I am working on ranging moments almost 3 yrs already. Can't share my indicator. Sorry. But I can spare you years of research on the matter. I have scanned 28 majors + gold from April 2009 till May 2017. Maybe move EURCHF out of that list. So 28 pair, including Gold.

There is no top 5 pairs list. All pairs are the same thing. At different times, they drive on different gears and speeds.

It is a delusional thing to believesome pairs are ranging more or less than others.

I have checked Oil, separately from that group. Oil and Gold are very similar. These are commodities. Like real goods. While currencies are virtual goods, at their best. Gold and Oil range quickly and if you do not have the tool - you cant tell it.

There is an example on gold this week. Mon - Thu was locked in below 150 pips range (1282 top and 1268 bottom). Late Thu broke it down. Center was 1274 and 1275, Later 1273 joined the party. You do not want to be located on any of these levels.

After the range breakout on Thu, the rate formed another one on Fri! It is absolutely invisible for the naked eye! This Fri range had almost identical consequences as the one prior to it, which lasted for 3.5 days! The Fri range lasted around 24 hours...

So, real goods behave slightly different, cause they are REAL. FX is virtual and it is almost UNFORGIVING...Mercyless.

I can suggest you to examine the Zig Zag indicator, if you wish an early range warning. Also the ZZ delivers an early range breakout warning, too, by showing you the range breakout direction.

fxprimate Oct 8, 2017 5:41am | Post# 7

This Monday will be a good example of a ranging market, due to the holidays for JPY, USD and CAD.

KayStreet Oct 8, 2017 10:19am | Post# 8

Hey @MoneyZilla
I always read your comments everywhere with a keen eye!
Thanks for the above insight. Never studied ZZ deeply.
Am going to look at it...hopefully I will be able to see some of what you see.

Zemanel Oct 11, 2017 12:25pm | Post# 9

Contrary to the majority and against all odds, i find ranging periods the most easy for me to make Money and i canīt get around the trending periods ...
Itīs so sad ...

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 8:25am | Post# 10

...i find ranging periods the most easy for me to make Money and i canīt get around the trending periods ... Itīs so sad ...
___
It's the same money...whether you make it in a range or a trending market.
Wondering why you find it so sad!
___

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 8:36am | Post# 11

. I can suggest you to examine the Zig Zag indicator, if you wish an early range warning. Also the ZZ delivers an early range breakout warning, too, by showing you the range breakout direction.
___
Do you mind posting a visual example on how to employ the ZZ indie to identify an early range?

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 9:17am | Post# 12

{quote} so what are your 5 pairs ?
__
6 now.
EURCHF, EURGBP, EURUSD, NZDUSD, AUDUSD, USDCAD.

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 9:19am | Post# 13

{quote} the trending periods are just a bigger range
___
True...trends are bigger ranges on higher timeframes.
____
That aside, I still look for ranges on up to 2 timeframes and I am good.

fxprimate Dec 17, 2017 9:26am | Post# 14

True.

fxprimate Dec 17, 2017 9:26am | Post# 15

{quote} ___ True...trends are bigger ranges on higher timeframes. ____ That aside, I still look for ranges on up to 2 timeframes and I am good.
Ranges in two time frames ???
What you need is find a range and trade the breakout or the pullback, no need two TF.

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 9:50am | Post# 16

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Ranges in two time frames ??? What you need is find a range and trade the breakout or the pullback, no need two TF.
___
An instrument in a range on as many TFs as possible ensures price won't run away from my trade in an instant.
I need a pair to be generally ranging..not on only the current TF.
___
Take a look at EURGBP now. Looking good for safer Overbought/Oversold fades.
Click to Enlarge

Name: EURGBP_Range.png
Size: 102 KB

fxprimate Dec 17, 2017 10:04am | Post# 17

{quote} ___ An instrument in a range on as many TFs as possible ensures price won't run away from my trade in an instant. I need a pair to be generally ranging..not on only the current TF. ___ Take a look at EURGBP now. Looking good for safer Overbought/Oversold fades. {image}
Why complicate.
Trade the exit or the retest of range periods instead of range zones itself.

KayStreet Dec 17, 2017 10:12am | Post# 18

Forex is a very complicated cat.
Many ways to skin it.
___
My way is to skin it inside the best range. All I need is how to spot it as fast as possible.

Cryptofunk Dec 17, 2017 10:23am | Post# 19

IMHO, Currency Strength Meter Indis would help.

VEEFX Dec 17, 2017 12:31pm | Post# 20

I am working on ranging moments almost 3 yrs already. Can't share my indicator. Sorry. But I can spare you years of research on the matter. I have scanned 28 majors + gold from April 2009 till May 2017. Maybe move EURCHF out of that list. So 28 pair, including Gold. There is no top 5 pairs list. All pairs are the same thing. At different times, they drive on different gears and speeds. It is a delusional thing to believesome pairs are ranging more or less than others. I have checked Oil, separately from that group. Oil and Gold are very similar....
Come on now... Sharing is caring bro. Transition from range to trend and trend to range is the biggest dilemma for PA traders. Outside of WHEN, knowing WHY is equally important. If i tell you WHY, will you show us How/When :-)

Conversely, ranging periods have trends too. In other words, a trend following or counter trend following system could work in all markets or timeframes or price levels. Its the WHEN that is challenging. I have nailed to how and why and almost getting there with the When dilemma. Lol

© Forex Factory