Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you believe brokers hunt your stoploss (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=660378)

Aussi Apr 30, 2017 6:48pm | Post# 1

Hi girls and guys does your broker hunt your stoploss and do you believe a stoploss is a must

MoneyZilla May 1, 2017 3:38am | Post# 2

Yes and No

p.s. better flip, instead of taking a sl

Darastonius May 1, 2017 4:43am | Post# 3

Even if you have a trustworthy broker, nothing can't be done about stop hunting (except maybe taking advantage of it ), because the market itself goes for levels, where stops are congregating.

Then of course there are shady brokers, who like to widen spreads themselves.

Regarding stop losses, they are a must for controlling risk. They can be mental stops though.

FairTrader May 1, 2017 5:12am | Post# 4

Hi girls and guys does your broker hunt your stoploss and do you believe a stoploss is a must
B book.
No, but there are exceptions.

mark.g May 1, 2017 10:11am | Post# 5

I believe that brokers hunt our stop losses. I have seen how the price hits my stop loss and immediately reverse. It is very suspicious when the price only rise or fall to hit my stop loss and then go back. Don't you think?

Kanzler May 1, 2017 8:16pm | Post# 6

I believe that brokers hunt our stop losses. I have seen how the price hits my stop loss and immediately reverse. It is very suspicious when the price only rise or fall to hit my stop loss and then go back. Don't you think?
That isn't the broker, it's the people with money moving the market. They know where typical dumb trader puts his or her stops.

Aussi May 1, 2017 10:22pm | Post# 7

{quote} That isn't the broker, it's the people with money moving the market. They know where typical dumb trader puts his or her stops.
perfect

mark.g May 2, 2017 1:19am | Post# 8

{quote} That isn't the broker, it's the people with money moving the market. They know where typical dumb trader puts his or her stops.
Maybe you are right but maybe not. These "people with money" how will know where exactly is my stop loss? This information is visible only to my broker. My stop loss is X level, your stop loss is Y level, another one has Z level stop loss (i mean everyone has different stop loss). And why only my stop loss is hit and the price reverse immediately. Explain this please.

Aussi May 2, 2017 3:06am | Post# 9

{quote} Maybe you are right but maybe not. These "people with money" how will know where exactly is my stop loss? This information is visible only to my broker. My stop loss is X level, your stop loss is Y level, another one has Z level stop loss (i mean everyone has different stop loss). And why only my stop loss is hit and the price reverse immediately. Explain this please.
that's you broker killing one at a time , each desk broker has a number of clients

PayTheLimit May 2, 2017 3:09am | Post# 10

No and yes

Don96 May 2, 2017 3:11am | Post# 11

{quote} No and yes
just me hunting yours old boy

Kanzler May 2, 2017 6:21am | Post# 12

{quote} Maybe you are right but maybe not. These "people with money" how will know where exactly is my stop loss? This information is visible only to my broker. My stop loss is X level, your stop loss is Y level, another one has Z level stop loss (i mean everyone has different stop loss). And why only my stop loss is hit and the price reverse immediately. Explain this please.
Because your stop is either randomly place and just in the middle of a move or placed in typical places traders put them. Above recent highs, for example. That said, not an excuse not to use a stop loss....not using one just results in your account being blown a lot faster. Symptom of not having an edge in the first place.

jazzpur May 2, 2017 10:45am | Post# 13

i def consider then having a density metric to close out heavy SL zones, thus settle on consolidation levels
newer to forex but trading is much different than stocks with sentiment

cat May 2, 2017 11:19am | Post# 14

They do if you're looking for excuses.

NPTrader May 2, 2017 11:39am | Post# 15

I think they not.

1. It's big business and I Think them got money from swaps , commissions, new client etc
Bad advert from traders is dangerous for brokers.
2. Like someone say ,big players "know" where we have SL
3. Some traders forget about spread when putting SL and in the night or some news it's bigger then normal.

And when broker is reliable you can make complain and sometimes they canceled mistakes.

Aussi May 3, 2017 1:03am | Post# 16

{quote} just me hunting yours old boy
hi don and loving it

Mingary May 3, 2017 1:21am | Post# 17

As crazy as this sounds the market will try to fill orders because that is its purpose !
Therefore a stop loss for you is just an order for the market and "it" will try to make you happy by filling your order (obviously a loss must be what you want)
There is that and the fact that the market cannot function if traders don't lose...

Aussi May 3, 2017 2:41am | Post# 18

As crazy as this sounds the market will try to fill orders because that is its purpose ! Therefore a stop loss for you is just an order for the market and "it" will try to make you happy by filling your order (obviously a loss must be what you want) There is that and the fact that the market cannot function if traders don't lose...
I could not have said like you wrote it Mingary , perfect

feline207 May 3, 2017 2:47am | Post# 19

As crazy as this sounds the market will try to fill orders because that is its purpose ! Therefore a stop loss for you is just an order for the market and "it" will try to make you happy by filling your order (obviously a loss must be what you want) There is that and the fact that the market cannot function if traders don't lose...
obviously

marcmarc May 3, 2017 3:07am | Post# 20

As Mingary said, a stop loss is just an order in the market waiting to be filled.

Getting a stop loss hit on a spike is one unfortunate cost of using stop losses; it can be minimised by placing the stop slightly beyond the 'obvious' place that many other traders might choose so their stops get filled, not yours.

More importantly, I think, is the question whether stop losses are necessary. I would say if you don't use hard stops on each and every trade then you are gambling, not trading. Without a stop you have no risk control and you cannot properly size your position as you have no idea what your maximum loss might be. You simply cannot trade with the possibility of one big bad loss wiping you out. Again, that is gambling, not trading, and as a big error is inevitable at some point in your trading career, it means trading without stops virtually guarantees account wipeout eventually.

I really believe it is this one thing - poor risk control by not having stops - that explains why so many traders lose at this game. It's not because they are so bad at trade selection, it's just they let one loser go massive against them and wipes the account.

© Forex Factory