Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Data Sharing between multiple MT4 terminals (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=63154)

notomoro Jan 3, 2008 12:37pm | Post# 1

Data Sharing between multiple MT4 terminals

I need to share data between several MT4 borkers terminals, real time, while running on the same computer. Is there any other way to accomplish this besides using a DLL to write and read to a common folder?
thanks

tdion Jan 3, 2008 1:14pm | Post# 2

text files..... one terminal writes, while the other loops (checking for change in size)... accomplished with 2 EAs

notomoro Jan 3, 2008 3:36pm | Post# 3

problem with that

I've tried that with CSV's but each terminal application can only read and write to it's own Expert/Files/ folder. I want to share data between different metatrader applications. Is there a way to change the path structure so the EAs read/write elsewhere?

Ghamm Jan 3, 2008 11:30pm | Post# 4

I've tried that with CSV's but each terminal application can only read and write to it's own Expert/Files/ folder. I want to share data between different metatrader applications. Is there a way to change the path structure so the EAs read/write elsewhere?
Yes, use named Pipes or TCP/IP

Coder Jan 4, 2008 12:39am | Post# 5

DLL

A DLL is by far the easiest way to accomplish this task.

What have you got against DLLs?

There is even one already written that allows you to write files to a directory outside the MT4 files directory:
http://www.metatrader.info/node/168

Coder

notomoro Jan 4, 2008 8:44am | Post# 6

Dll-a-phobia

Coder - Excellent! Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I need. The only thing I have against DLL is fear of the unknown.
Thanks

notomoro Jan 4, 2008 12:28pm | Post# 7

Another Possibility

Is there a way to use a DLL in an EA to access the DDE info from another brokers MT terminal application and bring it into the EA as a variable? The other brokers data could be examined while running the EA.

tdion Jan 4, 2008 1:18pm | Post# 8

Did you try installing the 2nd MT4 into the "experts\files" directory of the first MT4 install? (Then try to access the file down a few levels?)

notomoro Jan 4, 2008 2:08pm | Post# 9

Interesting Idea. I'll try that. thanks

Ghamm Jan 5, 2008 11:48am | Post# 10

Is there a way to use a DLL in an EA to access the DDE info from another brokers MT terminal application and bring it into the EA as a variable? The other brokers data could be examined while running the EA.
This can be done, but you will need a central hub acting as a dispatcher.
I would avoid DDE.. Its very Cludgy..If you did use DDE, you would prob get away with not having the hub though..Your DLL could in effect call DDE.

Instead, Id have a DLL on each side that polls the server, and gathers data from the the other EA.. In other words, Each EA on each side, has the other MT4's data. Each EA is polling the server.
BTW, this is all a EA can do, is poll.. Nothing can push to the EA, the EA must ALWAYS request using a DLL.

We do this a lot with some of our arbitrage strategies.

notomoro Jan 5, 2008 2:42pm | Post# 11

Ghamm...
Broker arbitrage is what I'm sophmorically trying to research. Can you recommend any good reads on this, or maybe even any existing scripts or EAs. There was a thread on broker arbitrage here a while back but it died. Either they found it not profitable or they are too busy making money to post...

thanks

achandrasek Jan 5, 2008 3:00pm | Post# 12

A DLL is by far the easiest way to accomplish this task.

What have you got against DLLs?

There is even one already written that allows you to write files to a directory outside the MT4 files directory:
http://www.metatrader.info/node/168

Coder
I am getting a "Page Not Found" error on the download link on the above site. Could somebody share the downloaded zip file here? Thanks. I tried registering and still could not Login!

chandra

EDIT: eventually I was able to get it. Thanks for the useful link.

minmin830 Jul 4, 2011 2:06pm | Post# 13

I am getting a "Page Not Found" error on the download link on the above site. Could somebody share the downloaded zip file here? Thanks. I tried registering and still could not Login!

chandra

EDIT: eventually I was able to get it. Thanks for the useful link.
I know this is from a long time ago, but can someone post the zip file here? I tried to downloaded, but page not found. Thanks.

saunders Apr 20, 2015 2:55am | Post# 14

I would like to use volume data of a broker at another brokers' terminal (real time on 1M chart).. I have not much experience with DLLs. I can write, modify and use EAs and indicators in MT4.

I have read various threads about data exchange between terminals. There are comments about DLLs, Pipes etc. Actually I am able to export the data I want via an EA called 'testdataexport' which I downloaded from a thread here. but I am unable at the moment the import it to MT4 to an offline chart for example.

I would appreciate any help before I start to DLL tutorials.

Thanks.

© Forex Factory