Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Journals (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Plan the Trade (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=582121)

Nik-Nyc Feb 28, 2019 5:57pm | Post# 10901

{quote} Total Studies: 138
Wow, that's a lot of studies. Just the thought of debugging an order of operations issue makes me queasy. We have had this conversation before, but worth repeating:

1)Build it with alert conditions=>
(this is for testing only)

2)Convert it to a spreadsheet trading study=>
(more precise backtesting and small live forward testing)

3)Convert to ASCIL, proper algo achieved=>
(This is all you need, rake-it-in, additional steps are optional)

4)Convert to EXE using DTC protocol=>
(Now you are using the same tech as a proprietary trading firm or hedge fund. Bye bye sierra, this algo interacts directly with the data provider)

Additional considerations starting at step 3 forward:
-Co-location within CME data center
-Pre-cleared risk
-Leased seat at CME

This is totally achievable, just trust the data. Data, data, data!

alphadude Feb 28, 2019 6:02pm | Post# 10902

{quote} i think so too.. he has real and legit businesses in gold and oil with supposedly daily revenue into 1Mplus. He is worth 600M+ but didn't want to sound like BS. I think it has got to be related to some hedging shit with his business. He probably wants me local to choke my throat if I lose so no thanks to that offer lol
with that money i will move to any country of his choice, even Somalia. dont mind getting chocked once in a while. man; you are going to be chocked by the market anyway.

VEEFX Feb 28, 2019 8:48pm | Post# 10903

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Wow, that's a lot of studies. Just the thought of debugging an order of operations issue makes me queasy. We have had this conversation before, but worth repeating: 1)Build it with alert conditions=> (this is for testing only) 2)Convert it to a spreadsheet trading study=> (more precise backtesting and small live forward testing) 3)Convert to ASCIL, proper algo achieved=> (This is all you need, rake-it-in, additional steps are optional) 4)Convert to EXE using DTC protocol=> (Now you are using the same tech as a proprietary trading firm or...
Agree Nick. Debugging is nasty and time consuming in Sierra. Going EXE is also the end game for me as well. What I have is more of a strategy "Builder/Tester" during this phase to pick what give the most reward times the risk I will comfortable with. I am currently settled on 1.1breakouts which will leave me with only 3 alert-based trading to plug easily into a spreadsheet study after it proves merit in live.
Name:  Image1.png
Views: 472
Size:  28 KB

Divergence Feb 28, 2019 8:56pm | Post# 10904

i second the wow nik if i had to go threw all that i would never trade EVER

VEEFX Feb 28, 2019 9:14pm | Post# 10905

i second the wow nik if i had to go threw all that i would never trade EVER
When I look deeper into my core of why I have chosen this supposedly "convoluted" journey of going the algo route, it boils down to just one simple question.

Is long term trading possible to produce consistent results?

Respectfully, I have yet to see any evidence of it from any retail trader. Only Hilmy here has set a "benchmark on transparency". You are next in line by showing us trading live. I had hopes from Magnum but he has just disappeared. What is stopping the rest from doing what Hilmy does every day? This is not an intelligent or analytical question. It's a simple, logical common sense question :-)

Divergence Feb 28, 2019 9:31pm | Post# 10906

[quote=VEEFX;12062752]{quote} When I look deeper into my core of why I have chosen this supposedly "convoluted" journey of going the algo route, it boils down to just one simple question. Is long term trading possible to produce consistent results? Respectfully, I have yet to see any evidence of it from any retail trader. Only Hilmy here has set a "benchmark on transparency". You are next in line by showing us trading live. I had hopes from Magnum but he has just disappeared. What is stopping the rest from doing what Hilmy does every day? This is not an intelligent or analytical question. It's a simple, logical common sense question :-)[/q i am sure there are others some just started their journey but whether i show live trades or hilmy it boils down to you you got to be in it to win it so hope you find what your looking for i have shared a pattern that works everyday in the ym all thats needed to do is just look back on charts since its just a pattern and no indicator base so no repainting etc

hilmy83 Feb 28, 2019 9:50pm | Post# 10907

{quote} When I look deeper into my core of why I have chosen this supposedly "convoluted" journey of going the algo route, it boils down to just one simple question. Is long term trading possible to produce consistent results? Respectfully, I have yet to see any evidence of it from any retail trader. Only Hilmy here has set a "benchmark on transparency". You are next in line by showing us trading live. I had hopes from Magnum but he has just disappeared. What is stopping the rest from doing what Hilmy does every day? This is not an intelligent or...
i wouldn't recommend anyone doing daily pnl unless you have decent emotional intelligence to handle it. it's burdensome mentally to do daily pnl posts or the livestreams. it's not easy to face losses, and it's a lot more difficult when it's public. But i decided that i need to be honest with myself and do this for MYSELF. If want to grow as a trader, i want to share the ups and downs, and get the feedback from others along the way. That's the reason i do this, and i've seen how it positively impacted my mindset with transparency.

i think it's all about recognizing pattern structure. Whether you trade harold's way or using some sort of indicator like myself with vwap, it's about identifying those patterns and executing it flawlessly. The main thing that i've see with traders with losing is they let losers grow. This is common theme from TEs, threads, even documentary (watch floored about he guy who lost 150k...he let his losers run!). The other demons are revenge trading and bad betting strategies.

Once you have your pattern(s), just get acquainted with it. Learn the quirks if you will. Then learn some self control to not let losses out of hand. You might have big losers here and there, but that's normal, every business have bad transactions.

VEEFX Feb 28, 2019 9:58pm | Post# 10908

{quote} When I look deeper into my core of why I have chosen this supposedly "convoluted" journey of going the algo route, it boils down to just one simple question. Is long term trading possible to produce consistent results? Respectfully, I have yet to see any evidence of it from any retail trader. Only Hilmy here has set a "benchmark on transparency". You are next in line by showing us trading live. I had hopes from Magnum but he has just disappeared. What is stopping the rest from doing what Hilmy does every day? This is
agree. perhaps it is all in me and my own wiring of neurons.

Nik-Nyc Feb 28, 2019 10:55pm | Post# 10909

{quote}{quote} agree. perhaps it is all in me and my own wiring of neurons.
This is the issue V . . . you are far from being convinced that long term profitable trading is even possible. This is your bridge to build and then cross. No amount of "benchmark of transparency" will help (nor should it). You need to prove it to yourself, then it can become a true belief. Keep at it, luckily with an algo you can backtest tons of data quickly, accurately, and without bias, this should really shorten the length of your journey.

bapakjason Feb 28, 2019 11:12pm | Post# 10910

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=855358
This guy, H, and others have shown it can be done with a simple strategy and very easy to reach daily goal. Its the discipline to be patient and then quit each day . . .
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 8.43.51 PM.png
Size: 205 KB

Divergence Feb 28, 2019 11:17pm | Post# 10911

{quote} i wouldn't recommend anyone doing daily pnl unless you have decent emotional intelligence to handle it. it's burdensome mentally to do daily pnl posts or the livestreams. it's not easy to face losses, and it's a lot more difficult when it's public. But i decided that i need to be honest with myself and do this for MYSELF. If want to grow as a trader, i want to share the ups and downs, and get the feedback from others along the way. That's the reason i do this, and i've seen how it positively impacted my mindset with transparency. i think...
i agree find a pattern and exploit it. Trading for me is grab grab grab and then a shutdown platform. When i do that that days money belongs to me its seems tradestar has left the building
he was like my alter ego same mentality about going for less and make more

VEEFX Feb 28, 2019 11:35pm | Post# 10912

{quote} This is the issue V . . . you are far from being convinced that long term profitable trading is even possible. This is your bridge to build and then cross. No amount of "benchmark of transparency" will help (nor should it). You need to prove it to yourself, then it can become a true belief. Keep at it, luckily with an algo you can backtest tons of data quickly, accurately, and without bias, this should really shorten the length of your journey.
yep. That is the whole idea behind having a plug-n-play module based algo that I can trigger based on market conditions. If someone says hey, fade the VWAP at std2 or bounce from Pivot/s1/r1 or whatever, it will now take me less than an hour to create a quick study, run my already developed and parameterized algo against the study and test the merit of the proposed setup on my own and for my own validation before a dime goes into the market. Atleast that is the idea behind spending the time and effort upfront one time now for ease and benefit in the future.

I will always believe in data and only data. There is no chance of every changing that mindset because it has only generated tremendous wealth for me at work over the years! I am only walking the walk that has proven merit in my life.. that is really all there is to it. There is no proving of how much intelligence I have or how I thrive on complexities etc etc.. all that is just irrelevant. Follow the right process and things will eventually fall in place. Atleast I am learning new things about NQ just about every freaking day that is not easily visible... and YES, I have ZERO indicators in my design. I have removed Angle-based studies as well because Sierra's implementation of Angle calculation is dependent on chart zoom level affecting consistency... believe it or not (probably a bug or just a design aspect). None of the traditional technical indicators work consistently so I am not even bothering myself with that pile of junk. As I said, if you remove all the fluff, I am attempting to trade pure price itself and not any setup or "price action". I am attempting to eliminate "setup" itself from my design. Call me crazy lol

Divergence Feb 28, 2019 11:39pm | Post# 10913

no matter what strat you use the time you enter is based on a certain setup

VEEFX Mar 1, 2019 12:03am | Post# 10914

no matter what strat you use the time you enter is based on a certain setup
I will explain in due time. It's a theory I am working on based on practical use of GPS coordinates and navigation in trading....Map of USA as my OC-framework to determine market conditions. when it works, it works quite nice. when it does not, it requires my intervention to make the judgement (navigational) call.

hilmy83 Mar 1, 2019 12:06am | Post# 10915

{quote} my mindset... why the heck did he disappear? if I was doing this shit everyday, I would be standing on a pedestal flashing my performance stats daily or weekly or monthly. Why start a thread and then call it quits? All I am saying is.... it's all assumptions that we are making on what we read out here. There is no data to validate so one HAS to take it at face value for what it is and test out on their own, prove it first and then go live. Frankly, the grab and run mentality is the key ingredient and that is exactly what is reflecting in...
yea, i was surprised magnum just disappeared. he was probably the closest to my style. Most of you guys are scalpers..i mean 12 tick stop? what? hard to relate when you trade based off daily structure

i believe he was trading around eu session to catch the early trend ..was really looking forward to see trade examples

oh well..

bluejack Mar 1, 2019 12:16am | Post# 10916

{quote} yea, i was surprised magnum just disappeared. he was probably the closest to my style. Most of you guys are scalpers..i mean 12 tick stop? what? hard to relate when you trade based off daily structure i believe he was trading around eu session to catch the early trend ..was really looking forward to see trade examples oh well..
magnum never showed a live trade....

hilmy83 Mar 1, 2019 12:19am | Post# 10917

{quote} Perhaps going to M5 timeframe or expansion to other instruments was not a good idea or maybe he is raking in millions and told him to "f*ck everyone - I am outta here". We just never know lol
honestly, if i ever crossed the 1 million profit mark..this forum and every other damn forum will know about it lol..i'd make a big ass deal out of it too..

then i'd disappear..

VEEFX Mar 1, 2019 12:19am | Post# 10918

{quote} magnum never showed a live trade....
True that. screnshots are meaningless unless actual fills are shown. I have mentioned that several times on this thread.

Divergence Mar 1, 2019 9:53am | Post# 10919

crap pa

onejester Mar 1, 2019 10:12am | Post# 10920

crap pa
Ain't it just. + 21 so far...

© Forex Factory