Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   'Room to move' indicator (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=576339)

ShuffleKing Aug 8, 2017 10:01pm | Post# 41

I appreciate you getting back to me. I understand not wanting to get tied up in another project. May the trend go with you.

Gauer Jan 22, 2019 2:54pm | Post# 42

Given that hanover left the forum and won't be updating this indi, is anyone willing to update this indi?

This is a very good indicator, however it would be even better if we could offset the start of the 24h calculation. Because this uses the daily open and close for it's calculation right? And each broker has it's own server time and daily candles open and closes...

What I would like to do is be able to set this indicator to start it's calculation at the NY open, so I would have fresh dynamic levels starting every day at 09:30 AM eastern time.

Gauer Jan 23, 2019 5:00am | Post# 43

Thanks for updating the indi, David!

All the best!

Gauer Sep 16, 2019 3:57pm | Post# 44

{quote} Many thanks for your offer. Although I'm always happy to look at new profitable ways to trade, I don't use a lot of indicators in my own trading these days. I'm currently attending two different training courses, and also working on an EA. Hence I don't have a lot of time to look at any other programming work until September. Alerts for Room Up/Down is not necessarily a straightforward process. Firstly, price can touch the same price level several times during the day, and secondly, the levels move around whenever price makes a new high/low....

Hi there David, if you ever touch this code again, please add an option to choose the color of the vertical line, because it is hard coded in white. If using white background we canīt see it.

Cheers

Mini7260 Sep 16, 2019 5:05pm | Post# 45

Never mind.

Gauer Sep 20, 2019 1:54pm | Post# 46

Just to complement my last post:

If you ever touch this code again, not only add an option to choose the color of the vertical line, but also an option to use average weekly and monthly range. As of now it is hard coded to daily bars only.

Thanks!

hanover Sep 20, 2019 6:18pm | Post# 47

please add an option to choose the color of the vertical line
Color, width, style can all be set using PlotVerticalLine setting. See post #1.

an option to use average weekly and monthly range.
Sorry, but I'm not planning to implement anything like this at this point (a suitably calibrated oscillator, or weekly/monthly pivot levels, are arguably a decent proxy for 'overbought/oversold'). MQ4 source code can be downloaded from post #1 if anybody wants to modify the indicator.

Scorp1on1 Oct 5, 2019 3:44pm | Post# 48

Just want to thank Hanover...very useful indicator...All your works are greatly useful. Is there a way to make it shows History levels on the same chart for previous days . I see it already can change the day to check its level. But it will be great for backtesting if it shows levels for all previous days in the same time. I understand how busy you could be and I greatly appreciate it if you can add that.

May all green pips be ours

pips4life Oct 5, 2019 11:43pm | Post# 49

1 Attachment(s)
5 completely trivial changes to the mq4 in post#1, including pointing to my b600 version of hanover's include files, make it compile without errors or warnings using the latest MT4.

DOES IT WORK?? It seems to draw lines on the chart the same as the 509 .exe, but it's the weekend so I can't be completely sure, but looks like it does.

Fyi, this doesn't work with the StrategyTester (likely because it accesses data from other timeframes, which doesn't work in the Tester).

Download the two b600 files from post#1 here. Or, these links seem to work:
hanover --- function header b600 (np).mqh
hanover --- extensible functions b600 (np).mqh
Put them into your MQL4\Include\ folder.

I don't use this RoomUpDown indicator myself -- not my style.

Neither am I taking on the task of converting or maintaining hanover's indicators. I'm merely pointing out that some of them can be easily compiled with the latest MT4 just by pointing to my b600 versions of his libraries, *plus* often some very simple edits to fix any warnings or errors. Sometimes he uses newly controlled keywords (like "char"), or variables with a "." in the middle (like "abc.1"). Just *rename* them! "char" can be "s_char" or whatever. The "abc.1" can be "abc_1". Not hard, right?!

To get hanover's b509 version of this code to compile with the latest MT4, I :
* Changed the "<hanover --- function header (np).mqh>" to use "<hanover --- function header b600 (np).mqh>"
* Changed the "<hanover --- extensible functions (np).mqh>" to use "<hanover --- extensible functions b600 (np).mqh>"
* removed the global int "bar" definition because it wasn't used here anyway. It prevents a warning that the same name "bar" in the include file is hidden. Had "bar" been used, I would have just renamed it everywhere in this file to "gbar" or whatever I feel like naming it.
* In two places where there are "void functionName(...) { ... ; return(0); }", it complains that "return" has the unexpected return of a value. Just use "return;".
* I changed the vertical "White" line default to "DarkGray"... because I use White charts, and DarkGray works on both Black or White. User can control via Input var, or edit and recompile as you see fit.
RoomUpDown b600.mq4

hanover Oct 6, 2019 12:54am | Post# 50

Just visiting (courtesy of a 'Get out of Jail Free' card).

Is there a way to make it shows History levels on the same chart for previous days . I see it already can change the day to check its level. But it will be great for backtesting if it shows levels for all previous days in the same time.
This indicator doesn't seem to replot itself during a backtest in MT4 Tester. I have no idea how Tester works**, and since I don't use it, there's no reason for me to investigate why. The MQ4 source is available if anybody wants to modify the indicator.

Alternatively, you could use other tools like oscillators, ATR-calibrated envelopes, or pivot levels, that meet your perception of 'overbought' and 'oversold'. (The more random price movement is, the less difference there is between the predictive quality of different tools, or the way that they're 'optimized').

**[EDIT]
this doesn't work with the StrategyTester (likely because it accesses data from other timeframes, which doesn't work in the Tester).
Yes, that makes good sense! Many thanks for the explanation, and for all of your hard work.

Scorp1on1 Oct 6, 2019 11:19am | Post# 51

Just visiting (courtesy of a 'Get out of Jail Free' card). {quote} This indicator doesn't seem to replot itself during a backtest in MT4 Tester. I have no idea how Tester works**, and since I don't use it, there's no reason for me to investigate why. The MQ4 source is available if anybody wants to modify the indicator.
Thanks a million Hanover for sharing this indicator...You are a Great icon in here!!

Hopefully, another coder can help me to make the indicator just shows historic levels of previous days on chart.
I am very optimistic that there is great help and generous coders in here!!

Scorp1on1 Oct 7, 2019 11:37pm | Post# 52

I am not a coder..so Excuse my question..is the previous request is difficult to code? Or too much of hassle?

Thank you!

Quants Oct 10, 2019 12:57pm | Post# 53

Just visiting (courtesy of a 'Get out of Jail Free' card). {quote} This indicator doesn't seem to replot itself during a backtest in MT4 Tester. I have no idea how Tester works**, and since I don't use it, there's no reason for me to investigate why. The MQ4 source is available if anybody wants to modify the indicator. Alternatively, you could use other tools like oscillators, ATR-calibrated envelopes, or pivot levels, that meet your perception of 'overbought' and 'oversold'. (The more random price movement is, the less difference there...
Dear Hanover,
I am sorry to writing from here to you but i have lost your e mail we have spoken very long time ago.. I require small help from your side. In one of your posts you have said that you have an indicator where it downloads the upcoming news and actually showing the average of movement for the spesific event. That is very useful information for me right at this moment. Is there any chance that i can get my hands on that indicator or the way you found this information ?
Looking further for your reply.
Thank you

hanover Oct 10, 2019 4:39pm | Post# 54

In one of your posts you have said that you have an indicator where it downloads the upcoming news and actually showing the average of movement for the spesific event. That is very useful information for me right at this moment. Is there any chance that i can get my hands on that indicator or the way you found this information ?
The latest Plot News software is available here (read the provisos carefully!), but I think you might be referring to this indicator.

Also, there is a lot of info in this thread, do a FF search for 'NCI' to obtain an explanation of what it does, and how it works. You might also need to download some of the files there.

If I recall correctly, there was a bug in the NCI export part of Clarion PlotNews EXE code, but I can't remember what it was now. I don't think I ever fixed it, because at the time nobody showed any interest in the project. Also, it was written more than 10 years ago, and it's highly possible that it won't run on the latest 64 bit Windows. And it calls wget.exe to scrape the FF calendar webpage, and wget no longer works in the way as it did....... but please feel welcome to give it a try.

Regarding "the way I found this info", the Plot News downloader is the only news app that I'm aware of that actually reads the HTML version of the FF calendar, allowing it to access historical news events/outcomes back to 2007. More info here** here and here. The Clarion version of the downloader (version 3; latest update here) was the predecessor of the latest Autohotkey version (version 4; which FF alleges contains a virus).

[** note: this info is out of date in that the latest version of the downloader now scrapes the data from FF calendar URL using native Autohotkey code, rather than calling curl].

I'm afraid you're on your own, as I don't want to spend any time on this project or answering any questions. I haven't looked at NCI for many years, hence any refamiliarization process would be time consuming, and none of this is useful to me personally.

Quants Oct 12, 2019 9:27am | Post# 55

{quote} The latest Plot News software is available here (read the provisos carefully!), but I think you might be referring to this indicator. Also, there is a lot of info in this thread, do a FF search for 'NCI' to obtain an explanation of what it does, and how it works. You might also need to
So greatful for your reply. Thanks a lot!

wansiman Oct 12, 2019 1:28pm | Post# 56

1 Attachment(s)
Shitty coding.
Click to Enlarge

Name: 372994229bf003cc154d6531d2f4e785.png
Size: 84 KB

hanover Oct 12, 2019 3:10pm | Post# 57

1 Attachment(s)
Shitty coding.
Worked perfectly for me (compiled with 0 errors at the first attempt). See screenshot.

Did you follow pips4life's instructions correctly?
Download the two b600 files from post#1 here. Or, these links seem to work: hanover --- function header b600 (np).mqh hanover --- extensible functions b600 (np).mqh
Or if this doesn't work on your computer, you could simply delete the mq4 file and download the ex4 file from post #1. Both versions of the indicator should deliver an identical result.
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 219.png
Size: 54 KB

© Forex Factory