Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Interactive Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Currency Scan (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=576234)

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 12:25pm | Post# 1

UPDATES COMING SOON...

just realized I need to rewrite this section to reflect the changes in the scan and my trading status. Will get on it.

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 12:37pm | Post# 2

Next steps are to integrate the Indexes (Indicies, whatever the multiple of Index is... I think you can use both, Indexes seems clumsy). They've been on the back-burner for a while, going to try and get that coded up before the FOMC. I'd like to see what the larger reaction is there and maybe get some exposure this afternoon. On a completely different note I want to thank the people who have followed me in the last week or so, without that this thread couldn't have happened and I really appreciate your interest in the work and the analysis. - JP

Goldflake Jan 27, 2016 1:18pm | Post# 3

I'm starting to get requests for access to the C/S, I thought maybe a thread dedicated to it might be useful as it does cover a lot of ground and isn't really specific to a single pair. Without further rambling... {image}
Yep..in fact i was about to ask you to start a thread for your system which looks promising..

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 1:23pm | Post# 4

{quote} Yep..in fact i was about to ask you to start a thread for your system which looks promising..
Couldn't have done it without you, appreciate the interest. Hopefully now I can be a little more thorough with the outlook and can go into more detail on how I use the scan in my own trading (as it basically acts as a trigger for two different models).

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 2:11pm | Post# 5

Break out your Philips Curve... The Fed said they are watching the strength of the dollar but it seems they are more interested in the current inflation level and the rate of employment.

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 2:19pm | Post# 6

1 Attachment(s)
Current market action after the announcement: EUR/USD up into today's previous high but not sticking. Minor change in the overall price action as traders try to weigh the statement.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-27-2016 12-13.png
Size: 493 KB

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 3:03pm | Post# 7

5 Attachment(s)
On the whole the US based pairs just aren't committing to anything yet. Unless this is a lag by portfolios to avoid thin markets, and I don't think that's it, given the neutral tone of the statement, I'd guess we've seen all there is to this. I'd watch for some mild technical reversion from pairs that are on the outliers of their ranges barring fundamental data that supports a pop here or there.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-27-2016 12-57.png
Size: 495 KB
Name:  chart_14.png
Views: 6848
Size:  21 KB
Name:  chart_17.png
Views: 6871
Size:  20 KB
Name:  chart_22.png
Views: 6869
Size:  18 KB
Name:  chart_24.png
Views: 6892
Size:  19 KB

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 7:37pm | Post# 8

6 Attachment(s)
Getting ready for the Australian Lunch-break...

Momentum Update: AUD/USD, EUR/AUD, GBP/CHF, NZD/CHF, NZD/JPY, NZD/USD all showing pretty good momentum out of pretty neutral territory, so they have some room to run. It would be more meaningful if we were just seeing the breaks and the momentum hadn't developed yet, and to be honest some of these conditions have persisted throughout the US session and may be getting a little stale.

The price action for most of these are "in-trend" with some of those getting a little deep on the short-term time-frames, but that doesn't mean they can't run further.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-27-2016 17-27.png
Size: 496 KB
Name:  chart_8.png
Views: 6797
Size:  20 KB
Name:  chart_15.png
Views: 6782
Name:  chart_19.png
Views: 6740
Name:  chart_20.png
Views: 6771
Name:  chart_21.png
Views: 6761

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 11:13pm | Post# 9

After an hour of messing around with the Trade Explorer, to no avail, I finally contacted Gain and was told they don't support Investor Passwords. Kind of a bummer. I've got an old FXCM account I could throw a few bucks in but the last time I ran that account I had a hell of a time with the history. They would just arbitrarily truncate it and your metrics would be all wonky. Wouldn't mind running one just don't want to go through a ton of hoops just to not have it work. Open to suggestions (different broker??? just seems like a lot of work for just the T/E)

TheFxAnalyst Jan 27, 2016 11:34pm | Post# 10

1 Attachment(s)
Watchlist Update:

Momentum has all but died off. Getting a longer term sell in the daily studies of the EUR/CHF. Almost triggering in the weekly as well. If it does I might take a little exposure on this and see if I can get a short term ride back down. The bullish trend has been pretty persistent, so if I do take it, it will be a pretty small position.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-27-2016 21-27.png
Size: 419 KB

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 8:33am | Post# 11

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a snapshot of what's happening right now in the broader market. Once we get Durable Goods out of the way I'll be looking at things a little harder.
Click to Enlarge

Name: currency-scan.png
Size: 370 KB

tashkent Jan 28, 2016 8:41am | Post# 12

After an hour of messing around with the Trade Explorer, to no avail, I finally contacted Gain and was told they don't support Investor Passwords. Kind of a bummer. I've got an old FXCM account I could throw a few bucks in but the last time I ran that account I had a hell of a time with the history. They would just arbitrarily truncate it and your metrics would be all wonky. Wouldn't mind running one just don't want to go through a ton of hoops just to not have it work. Open to suggestions (different broker??? just seems like a lot of work for just...
i guess you can open a sub account with your fxcm and start fresh.

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 9:00am | Post# 13

{quote} i guess you can open a sub account with your fxcm and start fresh.
Just logged into my FXCM account... all of my trade history is gone. I guess we have to download their other trading app and get it through there. Not cool. I think I'll find another broker just for this, throw a grand in it and just trade the currency scan on it as a stand alone technical model, no fundies or M/L stuff, see how it does. Would be interesting to see how it plays out over two or three years.

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 12:08pm | Post# 14

1 Attachment(s)
EUR/CHF Update: The pair is signaling short on the daily studies and very close to doing the same on the weekly. Once it hits those levels, I'm going to take a more serious look at it, see where the fundamentals are and if there is a case to get short. It’s worth noting if it does signal a weekly short this will be the first time before the SNB that we’ve had that signal in place and it could very well mark a return to a broader range that we begin to cycle through. There is still a lot of unknown’s with this pair (will the SNB intervene again etc…)

Technically speaking the current momentum has the pair breaking out of the upper trend-channel. That doesn’t typically persist very long when the marcro technical are at these levels. I would expect the pair so settle back in in the next couple of hours, consolidate a little bit, maybe even give up a little of its gains. I’m not trading that so it’s worth less than the digital paper it’s printed on.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-28-2016 10-06.png
Size: 513 KB

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 12:44pm | Post# 15

If anyone has any experience using Oanda and the FF Trade Explorer hit me with a PM or shout. Let me know if you had any problems, how well it tracked etc. I think that may be my only option at this point. Thanks!

tashkent Jan 28, 2016 12:50pm | Post# 16

If anyone has any experience using Oanda and the FF Trade Explorer hit me with a PM or shout. Let me know if you had any problems, how well it tracked etc. I think that may be my only option at this point. Thanks!
no problems at all with oanda and TE (not the best spreads, with alright)

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 1:02pm | Post# 17

{quote} no problems at all with oanda and TE (not the best spreads, with alright)
Appreciate that... Yeah I saw those spreads and my guts knotted up just a little bit.

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 1:14pm | Post# 18

Food for thought...

Bandwagon effects exist because of availability, anchoring, representativeness, increasing confidence, and credit/blame issues. These can continue unabated until current events (as interpreted by market participants) accumulate against the trend. If the discrepancy between the level to which a currency price has risen due to bandwagons and the interpretation of events is large enough then agents' confidence can be shattered and panic and collapse can result.

Harvey, John T. Currencies, Capital Flows and Crises: A Post Keynesian Analysis of Exchange Rate Determination. 2007/2008

Currently looking for a little panic...

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 1:40pm | Post# 19

1 Attachment(s)
EUR/USD so close to hitting that upper channel... And we're seeing another cyclical top emerge (light blue line on the top of the chart), which technically is bearish for the pair. I'd rather not short this into such strong bullish momentum, but I would like to take a small trade here and see if I can get a reversal. Going to keep an eye on it as we head into the Australian session.
Click to Enlarge

Name: report 01-28-2016 11-35.png
Size: 492 KB

TheFxAnalyst Jan 28, 2016 2:41pm | Post# 20

I was originally going to restrict access to this just keep tabs on the conversation and the flow of information - keep the thread focused. But I realize that also stifles good input/questions from people who are watching. I want the scan to be as useful as possible if I'm going to put it out here, so no more restriction.

© Forex Factory