Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum/11-trading-discussion)
-   -   Renko Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/thread/561530-renko-trading-discussion)

MathTrader7 Jun 16, 2020 5:01am | Post# 1381

Guys, I have dig into this thread and learn each page to backtest on renko using script created by mathtrader7 (MT7_CSV2RenkoHST_SC). I did export the csv from quantDataManager and put it on the MQL4/Files then i have successfully running the script above. I did create .hst files, so what i confuse now is how to do backtest with this files? I tried to copy the file and paste it on tester/history folder but it didn't work. Is there any missing part i left over?
Read below thread, you will find out how to backtest a Renko EA.

https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=572375

The link above is available in Post 1. So please read Post 1 carefully before posting any question.

Evernewtron Jun 16, 2020 5:21am | Post# 1382

{quote} Read below thread, you will find out how to backtest a Renko EA. https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=572375 The link above is available in Post 1. So please read Post 1 carefully before posting any question.
Hi' MathTrader7,
Thanks for your quick response, but in that post, ekud87 use different approach than the script you have.
Ekud87 generate a renko chart then export it to CSV file using his RenkoToCSV then import it on other MT4.
But in your script (MT7_CSV2RenkoHST_SC ) it convert Birt's CSV2FXT format to .hst format.
What i confuse is when the conversion is done and there's a .hst file, what should i do with that .hst file? I did put it on the tester/history folder but the mt4 seems to ignore that file and still downloads regular chart data from my broker when i do the backtest.
Am i missing something?
Thanks in advance

MathTrader7 Jun 16, 2020 5:24am | Post# 1383

{quote} Hi' MathTrader7, Thanks for your quick response, but in that post, ekud87 use different approach than the script you have. Ekud87 generate a renko chart then export it to CSV file using his RenkoToCSV then import it on other MT4. But in your script (MT7_CSV2RenkoHST_SC ) it convert Birt's CSV2FXT format to .hst format. What i confuse is when the conversion is done and there's a .hst file, what should i do with that .hst file? I did put it on the tester/history folder but the mt4 seems to ignore that file and still downloads regular chart...
You're right!
You need to copy XXXYYY1.HST (EURUSD1.HST, for example) into your broker server folder under history.

Evernewtron Jun 16, 2020 5:42am | Post# 1384

{quote} You're right! You need to copy XXXYYY1.HST (EURUSD1.HST, for example) into your broker server folder under history.
I did, but when i do the backtest the MT4 ignore that file and still create a new file XXXXYYY1.fxt file.
In my case i tried to backtest on AUDCAD, following all the step you mention and end up with AUDCAD1_0.hst file, i copy that file and paste under history folder and run the backtest on file AUDCAD with 1 minute timeframe. But the MT4 keeps downloading history data from my broker and create AUDCAD1_0.fxt file therefore the backtest run on a standart candlestick chart.

MathTrader7 Jun 16, 2020 6:01am | Post# 1385

{quote} I did, but when i do the backtest the MT4 ignore that file and still create a new file XXXXYYY1.fxt file. In my case i tried to backtest on AUDCAD, following all the step you mention and end up with AUDCAD1_0.hst file, i copy that file and paste under history folder and run the backtest on file AUDCAD with 1 minute timeframe. But the MT4 keeps downloading history data from my broker and create AUDCAD1_0.fxt file therefore the backtest run on a standart candlestick chart.
You need to,
1. create M1 HST for Renko backtesting (AUDCAD1.hst, for example);
2. copy the HST file into your broker's server folder under history;
3. restart your MT4 platform;
4. bring up the strategy tester;
5. choose AUDCAD as symbol, M1 as timeframe, open prices only or control points as the mode (every tick doesn't make sense here) and the EA you want to backtest;
6. You are all set up to do backtest!

P.S. forget about FXT files that the strategy tester creates, it is of no interest for Renko backtesting.

Edit: you also need to specify the correct start and end dates for the backtest. It must be according to the HST file creation. For example, if the real ticks you have downloaded start from 2018-01-01 and end to 2018-12-30, then in the back test you must not specify the date range outside the ticks dates.

Best,
Matt

Evernewtron Jun 16, 2020 10:07am | Post# 1386

1 Attachment(s)
I did try all the step you mention one by one, tried 3 times with 3 different currency pair.
But always when i run the backtest enabling visual mode, it load the candlestick chart not the renko one.
I use QuantDataManager to download the data from dukascopy, i tried to export both M1 and TICK version of the data but all not work.
Here's the export settings from QuantDataManager i use:
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot_72.png
Size: 50 KB

MathTrader7 Jun 16, 2020 10:22am | Post# 1387

I did try all the step you mention one by one, tried 3 times with 3 different currency pair. But always when i run the backtest enabling visual mode, it load the candlestick chart not the renko one. I use QuantDataManager to download the data from dukascopy, i tried to export both M1 and TICK version of the data but all not work. Here's the export settings from QuantDataManager i use: {image}
I uploaded a ZIP file containing a set of sample Renko HST files for EURUSD in Post 1. You can download and try those HST files (which I am 100% sure working with no problem). The direct link to download the ZIP file.

Duby87 Jun 25, 2020 5:09pm | Post# 1388

Hi guys, i' m a renko trader and i think in renko chart is difficult se the momentum, my idea is to create an indicar that shows the velocity of the market.
Create an histogram window indicator that show the time of a renko bar creation.
But with a limit: you must choise the maximal time of the bar creation.
Whit the time we can create the velocity v=s\t in this case the space is the renko bar setting. If a reverse bar come we must use the renko bar *2 because is a move bigger, i don't know if is possible.
Thanks in advice.
Sorry for my english but isn t my mother language.

bap91 Jun 27, 2020 6:08am | Post# 1389

1 Attachment(s)
MathTrader7, im looking for an EA to trade the different divergences and send alerts. For instance, lines drawn on the oscillator and on the renkos when divergence is happening. Pip size is 50. The picture is an example of what I'm referring too. The oscillator can be the fisher histogram of awesome oscillator disregard the circled number! {image}

May i have this below both Indicator please
Click to Enlarge

Name: IMG_0315.JPG
Size: 228 KB

mite Jul 1, 2020 2:54pm | Post# 1390

3 Attachment(s)
Please who can automate this strategy on renko charts? Once both indicators show same green colour, buy with trialing stop and same with sell- both show same red colour, with trialing stop
RenkoStreet_Trend.ex4
TTL.ex4
Click to Enlarge

Name: renko.png
Size: 184 KB

mite Jul 2, 2020 7:28am | Post# 1391

Please who can automate this strategy on renko charts? Once both indicators show same green colour, buy with trialing stop and same with sell- both show same red colour, with trialing stop {file} {file} {image}

Just to alert when the two indicators show same colour. pls any coder here help

teapeak Jul 2, 2020 7:43am | Post# 1392

Please who can automate this strategy on renko charts? Once both indicators show same green colour, buy with trialing stop and same with sell- both show same red colour, with trialing stop {file} {file} {image}
as I know correctly RenkoStreet_trend is repainting its signals.....and TTL too

mite Jul 2, 2020 10:35am | Post# 1393

{quote} as I know correctly RenkoStreet_trend is repainting its signals.....and TTL too
From my understanding of Renko chart, it depends on the size of the bricks. and most times signal should be generated at the close of the brick

teapeak Jul 2, 2020 10:54am | Post# 1394

{quote} From my understanding of Renko chart, it depends on the size of the bricks. and most times signal should be generated at the close of the brick
put it on chart and look for yourselfs....for sure they are repainters.....and it not depends on brick size!!!

mite Jul 2, 2020 10:59am | Post# 1395

{quote} put it on chart and look for yourselfs....for sure they are repainters.....and it not depends on brick size!!!
I have been using it on my account. I use other Indicators to confirm.. see the screenshot of my chart

Davidh061 Jul 2, 2020 11:17am | Post# 1396

{quote} put it on chart and look for yourselfs....for sure they are repainters.....and it not depends on brick size!!!
Hi Teapeak,

I had a play around with these indicators a while back and got bored with them very quickly because they repaint. I am happily trading live with MT7's EA and no indicators, it is by far the best way to trade! Cheers, Dave

FXgenial Jul 2, 2020 7:42pm | Post# 1397

{quote} Hi Teapeak, I had a play around with these indicators a while back and got bored with them very quickly because they repaint. I am happily trading live with MT7's EA and no indicators, it is by far the best way to trade! Cheers, Dave
They are indeed big repainters... Both of them. When you say MT7's EA, which one amongst the many ones are you talking about?

FXgenial Jul 2, 2020 9:09pm | Post# 1398

{quote} I uploaded a ZIP file containing a set of sample Renko HST files for EURUSD in Post 1. You can download and try those HST files (which I am 100% sure working with no problem). The direct link to download the ZIP file.
Thank you MathTrader7 for the share! Hem nothing to do with any strategy but which brick size do you recommand particularly in this case for the EURUSD?

Davidh061 Jul 3, 2020 2:18am | Post# 1399

{quote} They are indeed big repainters... Both of them. When you say MT7's EA, which one amongst the many ones are you talking about?
Hi FXgenial, my apologies for not being more specific, MT7 is very productive and creates a lot of EA's and indicators! I was referring to his non-gap Renko EA which I use for live trading. Cheers, Dave

Intrepidpips Jul 3, 2020 3:34am | Post# 1400

{quote} Hi FXgenial, my apologies for not being more specific, MT7 is very productive and creates a lot of EA's and indicators! I was referring to his non-gap Renko EA which I use for live trading. Cheers, Dave
Would you be kind enough to show how you trade Renko without any indicators please........

© Forex Factory