Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Capital Weightlifting Championship (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=557430)

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 4:49am | Post# 81

{quote}What i am saying is that you are accepting FAR bigger risk (bigger lots/position size) in your MM and then you will make more money. If you trade "flat trading" with the same (far bigger) lot size the end result will look very different. If you accept more risk you will make more money. That is why i say it is difficult, maybe even impossible to compare the two MM systems. It is not really a fair competition.
I understand what you're saying but it's not true. The 1% system is still advancing it's lot sizes in accordance with its balance. If it wants to trade higher lot sizes then it is no longer a 1% strategy.

My strategy is also using 1% risk to try to accomplish the +3 trading run. If it fails (just like a normal 1 trade loss) it will just use another 1%. If it succeeds in its trading run it will have 14% returns (actually 16%, but it will leave a 1% buffer for margin plus 1% deposit for the next trade in the Trading account).

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 5:07am | Post# 82

{quote} The Excel Rand function generates a random real number between 0 and 1. https://support.office.com/en-us/art...0-021ea9f5be73

Yer I read up on it too. That is why I found this formula quite clever:
=IF(RAND()>=0.6,2,-1)
It is from PipMeUp's original spreadsheet that I built mine on top of. I haven't used this function before but feel I may be able to adapt it for the purpose I mentioned earlier. However it will take some brain power that I don't have atm

Arctic4x Sep 18, 2015 5:12am | Post# 83

{quote}If it wants to trade higher lot sizes then it is no longer a 1% strategy
That is my point. That is why it is hard (impossible?) to compare the two.

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 5:14am | Post# 84

{quote}That is my point. That is why it is hard (impossible?) to compare the two.
But my system is risking 1% and the straight line strategy is risking 1%. There is no difference.

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 5:53am | Post# 85

Price missed my current TP on EU by 3 pips, I am looking for it to comeback and collect but I have been here before and even once had it miss by .3 of a pip after 80 pips in green. It is starting to become a bit of a theme and I can't see how I can shorten my SL's. It is funny how it keeps coming up in this thread but I am thinking about a true reverse martingale strategy in the individual 2:1 trades.

Because I trade mostly BO with this strategy (I find it's good for 2:1 trades), when PA starts moving I often tighten my stops because it rarely challenges the other side of the BO at this stage. At this point I am thinking of adding to my position and keeping the original risk 2:1 with the move of the SL and the added position. This way price wont have to move as far to gather the TP and my trade will still be as safe as before. I have actually done before successfully but will need to think on it .

sinqua Sep 18, 2015 6:24am | Post# 86

Price missed my current TP on EU by 3 pips, I am looking for it to comeback and collect but I have been here before and even once had it miss by .3 of a pip after 80 pips in green. It is starting to become a bit of a theme and I can't see how I can shorten my SL's. It is funny how it keeps coming up in this thread but I am thinking about a true reverse martingale strategy in the individual 2:1 trades. Because I trade mostly BO with this strategy (I find it's good for 2:1 trades), when PA starts moving I often tighten my stops because it rarely challenges...
Don't force it Matts, stick to the MO, if the you see the market has changed I think its okay to cut before T.P. You have good analysis skills, making up with another trade later is very achievable, patience and discipline. Good luck.

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 6:37am | Post# 87

{quote} Don't force it Matts, stick to the MO, if the you see the market has changed I think its okay to cut before T.P. You have good analysis skills, making up with another trade later is very achievable, patience and discipline. Good luck.
Thank you singua for your vote of confidence. I think your right about cutting a trade. Just a little frustrating when so close-yet so far.. hehe.

It's not something new in my thought stream but it does get a little grey as to when to add and when not to, it could get messy.

I think I'll stick to the plan for the moment but I will keep this formula in my head as I am trading to watch the outcomes and may adjust later if I think plausible.

Thanks,
Matt.

Good Lookin Sep 18, 2015 8:56am | Post# 88

{quote} Yer I read up on it too. That is why I found this formula quite clever: =IF(RAND()>=0.6,2,-1) It is from PipMeUp's original spreadsheet that I built mine on top of. I haven't used this function before but feel I may be able to adapt it for the purpose I mentioned earlier. However it will take some brain power that I don't have atm
I always use a variations of this formula:

=IF(randbetween(1,100)/100=<F11,"Win","Loss")

You can substitute "win" and "loss" for whatever and i like to point to a cell for win % rather than adjusting the formulas.

Good Lookin Sep 18, 2015 9:00am | Post# 89

1 Attachment(s)
{quote}That is my point. That is why it is hard (impossible?) to compare the two.
Check this excel i posted earlier. Compares the 2 MM styles with static risk reward and no compounding. I updated it to have more lines.

If you're comparing 2 trading entry systems then i'd agree with you. 2 styles of money management can be compared quite easily over the same set of trades.
3 t.xlsx

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 9:39am | Post# 90

{quote} Check this excel i posted earlier. Compares the 2 MM styles with static risk reward and no compounding. I updated it to have more lines. If you're comparing 2 trading entry systems then i'd agree with you. 2 styles of money management can be compared quite easily over the same set of trades. {file}
Cheers for the rand formula, I will experiment with it over the weekend, but looks fun

I haven't forgotten your spreadsheet and was looking over it earlier today and looks interesting but need more time to study. Thanks for the update I will download.

Cheers,
Matt.

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 9:47am | Post# 91

{quote} Check this excel i posted earlier. Compares the 2 MM styles with static risk reward and no compounding. I updated it to have more lines. If you're comparing 2 trading entry systems then i'd agree with you. 2 styles of money management can be compared quite easily over the same set of trades. {file}
I'm not sure if I have a bug but I am downloading my spreadsheet from that link? Yours was different before (I had to close the same named sheet to download the current). Not sure

Arctic4x Sep 18, 2015 10:11am | Post# 92

I think you are both missing the point of what i am saying.
My point is you can not really compare one MM where you are risking "only" 1% pr trade with another MM where you are risking far more on some trades.
Max position size (risk) have to be the same (same max % risk) to compare the two MM's.
Of course you will make more money if you risk far more on most MM's.

Good Lookin Sep 18, 2015 10:19am | Post# 93

{quote} I'm not sure if I have a bug but I am downloading my spreadsheet from that link? Yours was different before (I had to close the same named sheet to download the current). Not sure
It's probably because excel cannot open 2 excel files with the same name and i didn't change the name :/ I was going to but forgot

Good Lookin Sep 18, 2015 10:26am | Post# 94

{quote}I think you are both missing the point of what i am saying. My point is you can not really compare one MM where you are risking "only" 1% pr trade with another MM where you are risking far more on some trades. Max position size (risk) have to be the same (same max % risk) to compare the two MM's. Of course you will make more money if you risk far more on most MM's.
I know exactly what your saying. I've also addressed this earlier in this post http://www.forexfactory.com/showthre...62#post8494262 and then posted an excel where the losses that reduce principle are equal across MM styles.

If you're talking about the fact that risk goes higher as you win more, that doesn't make this system non comparable. The initial risk on a net 3 win set will always be equal to the regular 2:1 on every trade. When you win 1 or 2 and now are risking more, you're still only risking your winnings (playing with the houses money).

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 10:36am | Post# 95

{quote} It's probably because excel cannot open 2 excel files with the same name and i didn't change the name :/ I was going to but forgot
yes but have you tried downloading your excel file from your post? I think it is my spreadsheet?

Arctic4x Sep 18, 2015 1:04pm | Post# 96

{quote}When you win 1 or 2 and now are risking more, you're still only risking your winnings (playing with the houses money).
Ok, i see. That was not what was going on in the file i downloaded earlier but i guess that was some of the errors that was fixed at a later time. I did not look at all the later files.
If all extra risk is only "playing with the houses money" as you say, then i guess the initial risk is the same in the two systems.
Thanks.

Matts Micro Sep 18, 2015 1:41pm | Post# 97

{quote}Ok, i see. That was not what was going on in the file i downloaded earlier but i guess that was some of the errors that was fixed at a later time. I did not look at all the later files. If all extra risk is only "playing with the houses money" as you say, then i guess the initial risk is the same in the two systems. Thanks.
Ah my apologies, yes there is a dud file back there somewhere. I keep an updated file on the front page in the introduction.

GL,
Matt.

Matts Micro Sep 19, 2015 8:33am | Post# 98

1 Attachment(s)
I have spanked up the spread sheet a bit. I added an extra column to show the net trades clearer. Also fixed a lag problem in the formula between columns. Nothing I have done has changed the results but hopefully it is easier to understand the goings on without having to decipher the formula. Went a bit silly at the end with formatting but had fun

Enjoy,
Matt.
Capital Weightlifting 6.xlsx

Good Lookin Sep 21, 2015 12:37pm | Post# 99

Somewhere in there you gotta include a line for commision/spread.

Matts Micro Sep 21, 2015 1:05pm | Post# 100

Somewhere in there you gotta include a line for commision/spread.
Hey Lookin,

If I do that then things start becoming tricky because lot sizes will have to start getting involved which in turn brings in pips and more.... a bit messy. During the weekend I connected the spread sheet to my live results. I use the P/L column from my other sheet that has commission already deducted. We could also assume perhaps that the 2:1 trades already take the comm. into consideration with a little extra profit and a little less loss (it's how I trade anyway heh).

Cheers,
Matt.

© Forex Factory