Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Quantum London Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=551382)

ScubaZsolo Aug 3, 2015 9:54am | Post# 101

Hi SZ Supertrend attached LL {file}

‚Äč

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 9:54am | Post# 102

1 Attachment(s)
GBPUSD [M1 Chart]

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot1.png
Size: 28 KB

Any trader who took all the trades on this chart would be feeling really good by now and totally in profit............
[note that no red box has yet appeared so the trades technically would still be running......]

I trade live so I need to be selective but 145 pips is great and there is no need to be greedy.

Every day will most certainly not be the same so watch your DD and manage your risk.....

The maximum DD on my 'worst' entry was only 9 pips!

Masterrmind...........

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:10am | Post# 103

Note that post #1 states the following setup..........

"Set Up

To set this up, download the indicator and template below. I am using OctaFX, but feel free to use whatever broker you desire. OctaFX is GMT+2, so make sure when we set this up your times are in sync. Open a 1 minute GBP/USD chart and load up the template. The template should have this saved on it but if not, place a vertical line on the chart at 5:00 am GMT (7:00 am on OctaFX).

As you can see, we have numerous little boxes on the chart covering all times of the day. But we are looking for one particular range of time here. As we know when the Tokyo opens and we see a little action there, then we going into a little ranging period most of the time after the new day starts at 00:00 GMT until the London open hits. But people forget the the Frankfurt open usually give us a little false sense of direction before the real trading direction is determined. The slowest volume of the day is normally between 4-6:00 am GMT. Here is our starting point right in the middle at 5:00 am. We will ignore any boxes formed before this time. Basically what we are seeing is an invisible ZigZag indicator in action but when a new hi/low is reached the old box stays on the chart instead of disappearing. This is what we will base our trades on."

I simply wanted to show another approach and what is possible........... will look further into this as it appears to have some potential.....

Masterrmind............

SeaTheStars Aug 3, 2015 10:33am | Post# 104

Its fine to talk and consider alternative strategies, but this thread should still be about what OP posted.

Baba Gee Aug 3, 2015 10:42am | Post# 105

GBPUSD [M1 Chart] {image} Any trader who took all the trades on this chart would be feeling really good by now and totally in profit............ [note that no red box has yet appeared so the trades technically would still be running......] I trade live so I need to be selective but 145 pips is great and there is no need to be greedy. Every day will most certainly not be the same so watch your DD and manage your risk..... The maximum DD on my 'worst' entry was only 9 pips! Masterrmind...........
Been monitoring the same trade and I am also in it as well. Still waiting for the opposite color box to show up. This system does require a lot of personal discretion, i've noticed

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:45am | Post# 106

{quote} Been monitoring the same trade and I am also in it as well. Still waiting for the opposite color box to show up. This system does require a lot of personal discretion, i've noticed
I hope it works out well for you!

Masterrmind..........

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:53am | Post# 107

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Been monitoring the same trade and I am also in it as well. Still waiting for the opposite color box to show up. This system does require a lot of personal discretion, i've noticed
Drum roll please.............. and there is your little red box.

Click to Enlarge

Size: 19 KB

Time to count up those little green pips

Masterrmind.........

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 11:05am | Post# 108

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my GU chart shows......

Click to Enlarge

Size: 26 KB

8 possible short trades all to TP
20 possible long trades all to TP

Looks like maximum DD on the longs would have been about 50 pips or so

Masterrmind...........

Baba Gee Aug 3, 2015 11:31am | Post# 109

This is what my GU chart shows...... {image} 8 possible short trades all to TP 20 possible long trades all to TP Looks like maximum DD on the longs would have been about 50 pips or so Masterrmind...........
quite nerve wrecking but it seems that in theory (and practice) all is well.
Green pips to you Mastermind.
My simple question to you and all the others is now that we have a red box so we start shorting the pair now till we get to the next lil blue box.

one thing i love about this game is that you always learn

TheDirtySerb Aug 3, 2015 11:55am | Post# 110

If anyone is interested in developing an ea for this system as described by Mer071898, but with further controls such as max trades, space between trades, max DD and disaster SL, please send me a PM. I do not wish to distract the thread with EA talk. Thank you.

mer071898 Aug 3, 2015 6:50pm | Post# 111

1 Attachment(s)
Well everyone, another simple night with 8 trades all closed in profit within a couple of hours.

Trade 1= +16 pips
Trade 2= +11 pips
Trade 3= +15 pips
Trade 4= +21 pips
Trade 5= +21 pips
Trade 6= +21 pips
Trade 7= +22 pips
Trade 8= +20 pips

Total=+147 pips

As has been mentioned already, I am not closed to alternative strategies or someone using a different indicator, as a matter of fact, I applaud those who think outside the box. How they use this strategy in conjunction with other stuff may ended being great or not, I'm not here to judge. But to those who are discussing other alternatives, I graciously request to please keep to the premise of the thread while your in here and test other strategies outside of the thread, thanks. I don't not mind if you post results, because that's all why we're here in the first place, but limit it to that please.

And Serb, I don't mind any discussions about EA's, so feel free to elaborate on what you want to try and accomplish. Or maybe just start up a thread in the Platform Tech forum and I can link to it in the 1st post.
Click to Enlarge

Size: 267 KB

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:00pm | Post# 112

1 Attachment(s)
Asian session [to start with longs]

GBPUSD [M1 Chart]

Click to Enlarge

Size: 19 KB

all to TP!

Masterrmind.........

fxtrader08 Aug 3, 2015 10:02pm | Post# 113

Well everyone, another simple night with 8 trades all closed in profit within a couple of hours. Trade 1= +16 pips Trade 2= +11 pips Trade 3= +15 pips Trade 4= +21 pips Trade 5= +21 pips Trade 6= +21 pips Trade 7= +22 pips Trade 8= +20 pips Total=+147 pips As has been mentioned already, I am not closed to alternative strategies or someone using a different indicator, as a matter of fact, I applaud those who think outside the box. How they use this strategy in conjunction with other stuff may ended being great or not, I'm not here to judge. But to...
An EA would be really ideal here. I live in EST and its so hard to stay awake all night and possibly all day the next day sometimes.

How do you do it?!

fxtrader08 Aug 3, 2015 10:02pm | Post# 114

Asian session [to start with longs] GBPUSD [M1 Chart] {image} all to TP! Masterrmind.........
Got that one too

TheDirtySerb Aug 3, 2015 10:04pm | Post# 115

Vlad13685 was kind enough to share his EA with me with the default settings so I think I'm gonna run that on my nano account for a few before looking to adjust anything. My only concern, and I think someone mentioned this earlier, is that not that many of us have account sizes large enough to support this method when deep in DD, and/or wouldn't risk our larger accounts on a method like this. Well not yet anyway. So my thought process about an EA is something like this:

1. Enter after first box per original rules. (example: short at 1.5600)
2. Spread out subsequent entries by at least 10-15 pips (ie. 2nd box appears next candle opens at 1.5607 - skip, 3rd appears, next candle opens at 1.5612 = 2nd entry, and so on.
3. Be able to specify how many 0.01 entries per grid (ie. up to 50 pips which would equal about 5 entries, then move to 0.02).
4. Max trades to take (ie. 25 total entries, 10 at 0.01, 10 at 0.02 and 5 at 0.03)
5. Break even option (Do you want the EA to stay open even after the exit signal) This is when deep in DD but the trend changed and you want to risk leaving it open to get out at BE.
6. Max Stop Loss (Just in case. power outage, computer malfunction, the unforeseen, or just whatever your max risk is).

Number 3 and 4 are the biggest things to me. They would work together. Say you want max 25 entries but you're willing to spread those out on a 250 pip grid. 100 for the first 10, 100 for the second 10 and 50 for the last 5. You would spread out your average position making it easier to control DD. What I mean is if you enter 7 entries around 1.5550 per original rules and now the price goes to 1.56, you're in DD by 50 pips on all 7 entries totaling 350 pips. By using the grid approach, you may have 6 entries with the average price at 1.5575 and the DD totaling 150 pips. A lot easier to take in my opinion.

The only scenario where I think the original way is better is if say your 7 entries around 1.5550 don't go more than a few pips in DD, turn around and all go your way. I know it's suppose to happen that way when London comes in, but it doesn't always work out that way. But if it did, that profit would be way bigger than the grid approach because on the grid you may only have one or two total entries.

This is me just spewing stuff out right now, I would need to think it thru even more, but look forward to testing this out with the EA I received. Wishing all the very best.

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:07pm | Post# 116

{quote} Got that one too
Awesome......... now its time to short!

Good trading,

Masterrmind............

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 10:40pm | Post# 117

Vlad13685 was kind enough to share his EA with me with the default settings so I think I'm gonna run that on my nano account for a few before looking to adjust anything. My only concern, and I think someone mentioned this earlier, is that not that many of us have account sizes large enough to support this method when deep in DD, and/or wouldn't risk our larger accounts on a method like this. Well not yet anyway. So my thought process about an EA is something like this: 1. Enter after first box per original rules. (example: short at 1.5600) 2. Spread...
All the very best to you too........... its the thinking that goes into trading strategies that makes it all worthwhile.......

There are an infinite number of possible ways to trade this method.

You are right to mention the possible and I might add likely DD to this method so the trader must have controls in place to handle this situation because it will happen sooner or later and no-one wants to get caught out by giving back to the market what was already taken.

Note: I'm actually entering trades after 4-6 boxes have been painted and so far (yes it is still early days) the DD has been minimal...this may not always be the case!

Good luck in your venture,

Masterrmind...........

mer071898 Aug 3, 2015 11:14pm | Post# 118

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} All the very best to you too........... its the thinking that goes into trading strategies that makes it all worthwhile....... There are an infinite number of possible ways to trade this method. You are right to mention the possible and I might add likely DD to this method so the trader must have controls in place to handle this situation because it will happen sooner or later and no-one wants to get caught out by giving back to the market what was already taken. Note: I'm actually entering trades after 4-6 boxes have been painted and so...
Try looking at changing the input of the Quantum indicator too. What this does is the number of boxes will decrease and be concentrated more on the extreme peaks and valleys on the chart. The drawback is you may not see boxes along the smaller retraces. The charts below shows the difference. On the left the indicator is at 325, just like the template in post 1. On the right we set the input to 900. You'd have to experiment around with it first to see if it may be more dangerous to run it with a higher input.
Click to Enlarge

Size: 278 KB

Masterrmind Aug 3, 2015 11:25pm | Post# 119

{quote} Try looking at changing the input of the Quantum indicator too. What this does is the number of boxes will decrease and be concentrated more on the extreme peaks and valleys on the chart. The drawback is you may not see boxes along the smaller retraces. The charts below shows the difference. On the left the indicator is at 325, just like the template in post 1. On the right we set the input to 900. You'd have to experiment around with it first to see if it may be more dangerous to run it with a higher input. {image}
Already onto that one mer........ have been experimenting with multiple values but the charts posted to this thread are actually set at 300.

I have been trying several other variations but in my trading I look heavily towards PA, levels, fibs and harmonics but will leave these things out of the thread as they are better left for other places.

A trader will need to make the call or have controls in place in the instance when a super trend might develop and price pulls hard away from their intended direction.......... this is when other techniques are useful.

Great system!

No major DD thus far so I'll continue to trade live with a setting of 300 up to 350.

Masterrmind...........

mbolton Aug 4, 2015 3:35am | Post# 120

Hi Mer,

This system looks great - one question:

We start trading at 5am GMT - but when should we stop trading for the day? Sorry if this has been answered already but couldn't see it!

Mark.

© Forex Factory