Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Interactive Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   USD/JPY Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=5505)

pepsiez Apr 14, 2016 3:40am | Post# 59801

https://www.facebook.com/FreeForexSignals457981/

Let Like and Share
and Take profits

TechnicalGuy Apr 14, 2016 3:53am | Post# 59802

1 Attachment(s)
Finally nice fast PT from both trades, here we go !

Click to Enlarge

Name: dollar-yen-result.png
Size: 121 KB

TechnicalGuy Apr 14, 2016 5:20am | Post# 59803

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, very nice move here. The market is quite accurately testing the support now. But I would like to rather wait for a resistance and open short trades then. Do others agree with my outlook?
Click to Enlarge

Name: dollar-yen-bounce.png
Size: 33 KB

TechnicalGuy Apr 14, 2016 5:59am | Post# 59804

1 Attachment(s)
So the bounce from the support at M15 was very accurate. We are close to the red support at M5 above the actual price that can become resistance. Maybe it could be a good idea to load some shorts here.

Click to Enlarge

Name: USDJPYsuppbecomeres.png
Size: 44 KB

ongcan Apr 14, 2016 8:43am | Post# 59805

Bottom formation just confirmed breakout above 109.25, now indicates a move to as high as 109.50 based off pattern

SunTrader Apr 14, 2016 9:15am | Post# 59806

{quote} I think he said it correctly, Yen depreciates then UJ moves up.
Yes I didn't look at the numbers mentioned just the word south - which obvious is not up.

Quinton Apr 14, 2016 10:30am | Post# 59807

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} Yes I didn't look at the numbers mentioned just the word south - which obvious is not up.

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthre...30#post8873630

Click to Enlarge

Name: USDJPYM30.png
Size: 48 KB

SunTrader Apr 14, 2016 12:40pm | Post# 59808

So? What does that have to do with my post.

scc Apr 14, 2016 9:52pm | Post# 59809

COT report is a trap as always, cuz it's only updated till Tuesday, when published on Friday, plenty of time to setup the market....lol

pipperboy Apr 14, 2016 11:15pm | Post# 59810

1 Attachment(s)
Jpy weakens. Next resistance is the 21 EMA. See where it goes after that.
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot2.png
Size: 94 KB

Alpha8 Apr 14, 2016 11:19pm | Post# 59811

1 Attachment(s)
The only level we need to watch right now..
Click to Enlarge

Name: USDJPY.png
Size: 34 KB

csc2009 Apr 15, 2016 7:50pm | Post# 59812

Downward pressure remains, next immediate support level can be found around 118.50 zone, break below would lead to further decline.

Don96 Apr 15, 2016 7:58pm | Post# 59813

Downward pressure remains, next immediate support level can be found around 118.50 zone, break below would lead to further decline.
if you are above 118.50, short your whole account... you are probably about 1000 pips too high though

tom2015 Apr 18, 2016 1:45am | Post# 59814

Couple of scalps lined up off long wicks. {image}

what do you think the target for EUR JPY it hits 121 707 which is the lowest since 3 years

ez0770 Apr 18, 2016 2:01am | Post# 59815

BOJ meeting coming up on April 28th and some kind of action/intervention is now widely expected. Yen long positions at an historical extreme so a short covering in UJ is very likely to happen over the next few days

fonx Apr 18, 2016 3:34am | Post# 59816

BOJ meeting coming up on April 28th and some kind of action/intervention is now widely expected. Yen long positions at an historical extreme so a short covering in UJ is very likely to happen over the next few days
From a look at tradingeconomics.com I saw that Japan's Balance of Trade is positive now, which is a good boost to the economy and probably pushing JPY stronger against all counterparts. US economy could have been peaked. They don't necessarily have to go into worse conditions but they might not go much better.

My view is that USDJPY will continue to go down until BoJ decides that it's time to weaken the currency.

What kind of intervention do you expect from BoJ?

Exodus Apr 18, 2016 3:49am | Post# 59817

From .... I saw that Japan's Balance of Trade is positive now, which is a good boost to the economy and probably pushing JPY stronger against all counterparts. ...
+ve balance of trade will strengthen Yen, but it does not necessarily imply anything about the economy.

ez0770 Apr 18, 2016 4:02am | Post# 59818

{quote} From a look at tradingeconomics.com I saw that Japan's Balance of Trade is positive now, which is a good boost to the economy and probably pushing JPY stronger against all counterparts. US economy could have been peaked. They don't necessarily have to go into worse conditions but they might not go much better. My view is that USDJPY will continue to go down until BoJ decides that it's time to weaken the currency. What kind of intervention do you expect from BoJ?
I expect more QE, perhaps in the form of buying ETFs which could boost equities. A big factor of yen strength this year has been foreign investors pulling out of Japanese equity markets and unwinding related currency hedges. If the BOJ manages to make equities appealing again (by pumping money into the market) the flows might reverse putting downward pressure on the Yen.

Direct intervention in the currency market is now globally frowned upon, as we're being told, and possibly tolerated only in highly volatile markets so unlikely to happen. A positive trade balance reinforces the case against direct FX intervention, whereas my first scenario above is very likely imo...

In any case, whether they will act or not, given that everyone and their dog seems to be long Yen at the moment by looking at the latest CFTC data, it is very likely that in the short term, ahead of the meeting, we will see some position squaring, save of course other major events like a natural disaster or global equity markets collapse

fonx Apr 18, 2016 4:49am | Post# 59819

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit inexperienced with FA but I want to learn what drives the markets in the long term (not interested in the intraday ups and downs).

I quite don't understand the reaction on the actions you exposed in this paragraph:

I expect more QE, perhaps in the form of buying ETFs which could boost equities. A big factor of yen strength this year has been foreign investors pulling out of Japanese equity markets and unwinding related currency hedges. If the BOJ manages to make equities appealing again (by pumping money into the market) the flows might reverse putting downward pressure on the Yen.
Action: Foreigh investors pulling out of Japanese equities
Reaction: you said yen strength, but shouldn't it be weakness as foreign investors unwind yen positions into their own currencies? If so, the yen strength we are seeing shouldn't come from other source like a positive Balance of Trade?

Action: (this is a potential future scenario) BoJ makes equities more appealing (buying them maybe and creating upward momentum)
Reaction: you said yen downward pressure, but shouldn't it be strength as investors come again from abroad buying yens?

Thanks in advance and regards.

ez0770 Apr 18, 2016 5:37am | Post# 59820

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit inexperienced with FA but I want to learn what drives the markets in the long term (not interested in the intraday ups and downs). I quite don't understand the reaction on the actions you exposed in this paragraph: {quote} Action: Foreigh investors pulling out of Japanese equities Reaction: you said yen strength, but shouldn't it be weakness as foreign investors unwind yen positions into their own currencies? If so, the yen strength we are seeing shouldn't come from other source like a positive Balance of Trade?...
Foreign investors in Japanese equities hedge the currency risk by selling Yen. If you are a non Japanese investor buying stock in a Japanese company, you are interested in realizing capital gain (and dividend income) from that stock but in most cases do not seek to be exposed to currency (yen) fluctuations because if the stock goes up say 10% but the yen weakens by the same amount or more against your base currency, you made nothing or even lost money. So you buy an option to sell yen in the future at a predetermined level that you are comfortable with, or sell a forward contract or sell spot. The net result is always that you Sell the yen.

Now when you unwind your long equity position (sell your stocks) you also unwind your currency hedge which means you are now buying Yen. It is estimated that in 2016 foreign investors have sold their holdings of Japanese stocks for an amount in the neighbourhood of USD 290 billion, which means that they have unwound up to USD 290 billion of currency hedges (i.e. they have bought massive amounts of Yen).

I hope this is clear enough and answers both of your questions.

© Forex Factory