Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Lets Automate a Simple Renko Strategy! (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=531783)

LuizSchiavi May 7, 2019 5:57am | Post# 2641

{quote} I's profitable but tricky because sometimes the DAX moves quickly. There is only one strategy. Buy/Sell when the 3 trendalt_alerts are all above/below the zero center line. Exit when one trendalt_alerts crosses below/above the zero center line. In the attached chart red lines show a sell signal, aqua lines show an exit signal and aqua lines show buy signals. The gold dot on the candle are useful because they show where the candle closed. {image}
Hi,

Thanks !
I will try......we will see !

Hutch May 7, 2019 6:03am | Post# 2642

{quote} Hi, does the trendalt indi repaints ? How long you ve been using it ?
I have been trading the DAX with another system before but since the DAX moves quickly by the time I entered into a trade I was losing too many pips or the move already retraced. So for the last 3 months I went to Renko trying different bricks sizes and found out that 500 points or $5 is best. The trendalt indicator doesn't repaint since it changes color only when it crosses the zero line. Sometime you will see that it goes above then below the line quickly like between the first yellow line and the next red line as seen in post #2,638 but you cannot consider this repainting. In the chart above you could have ignored the little crossing of the line upward and leave the trade intact and it would have worked perfectly but this is not always the case.

metta87 May 7, 2019 1:48pm | Post# 2643

{quote} I have been trading the DAX with another system before but since the DAX moves quickly by the time I entered into a trade I was losing too many pips or the move already retraced. So for the last 3 months I went to Renko trying different bricks sizes and found out that 500 points or $5 is best. The trendalt indicator doesn't repaint since it changes color only when it crosses the zero line. Sometime you will see that it goes above then below the line quickly like between the first yellow line and the next red line as seen in post #2,638 but...
Actually I havenít tested it yet, just googled it and on some forums people were saying that it does repaint. I will try it for myself and report back here.

metta87 May 8, 2019 11:39am | Post# 2644

{quote} I have been trading the DAX with another system before but since the DAX moves quickly by the time I entered into a trade I was losing too many pips or the move already retraced. So for the last 3 months I went to Renko trying different bricks sizes and found out that 500 points or $5 is best. The trendalt indicator doesn't repaint since it changes color only when it crosses the zero line. Sometime you will see that it goes above then below the line quickly like between the first yellow line and the next red line as seen in post #2,638 but...
Hello, so I had a bit of time today so I put the trendalt to the test, 2 trades 2 winners. But when the charts are refreshed the signals looks different, so yes it does repaints. Also if you donít mind, what does a losing trade looks like with your system ? Cause when I put it on my renko, seems that there are only winners.
have a good day

Hutch May 8, 2019 10:07pm | Post# 2645

Nice to see that you had 2 winners but you cannot judge a system on only 2 trades. The higher the size of the Renko bricks used the less losers you will have. Try it with 100 pips and you will see. The reason for this is that the DAX moves quickly especially at the open of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and later at the open of the New York Stock Exchange. You will get a losing trade when the trendalts move quickly from above/below the zero center line but with 500 pips Renko bricks this is rare. Itís quite normal that closing the chart and reopening it will show different results because the indicator recalculates everything but the crossing the zero line signals should be the same. What I meant by not repainting is that the indicator doesnít change its signal on the current candle like some other indicators do. In any case you donít trade in the past you only trade in the present.

Dgrl May 9, 2019 2:33am | Post# 2646

As a new member i would like to say hello to everbody.
I am following this thread now for a while and have to say i am impressed
May i ask you Hutch what is the best way to determine the brick size for a renko chart?

Hutch May 9, 2019 11:01am | Post# 2647

2 Attachment(s)
{quote} As a new member i would like to say hello to everbody. I am following this thread now for a while and have to say i am impressed May i ask you Hutch what is the best way to determine the brick size for a renko chart?
It's a tough question because the answer can be very subjective. According to the experts the best way Renko brick size is the one based on the Average True Range (ATR). The expert advisor below will produce offline Renko charts based on ATR. For example, in the GBPUSD chart below, the EA calculated the ideal Renko brick size to be 15.1 pips. You may want to use that brick size or 15 pips Renko brick size since, like most traders, you might prefer a round number. On the other hand, you might want to use another Renko brick size for your own convenience. I use a Renko brick size of 10 pips for GBPUSD only because it suits me. I also use a Renko brick size of 50 pips for DKKUSD and a Renko brick size of 500 pips for the DAX after experimenting with many brick sizes to find the best for me. The choice is always yours
renkolivecharts_pimped_v4_13.ex4
Click to Enlarge

Name: GBPUSD-4M1.png
Size: 20 KB

Dgrl May 9, 2019 1:43pm | Post# 2648

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} ...
Thanks for the answer
The EA i use to make offline renko charts also has the following settings (see attachment)
So if i enable this option it would automaticly calculate the ideal brick size for the chart it is loaded on?
Newby here lol
Name:  Screenshot2.png
Views: 1112
Size:  8 KB

salimc May 11, 2019 10:47am | Post# 2649

{quote} I's profitable but tricky because sometimes the DAX moves quickly. There is only one strategy. Buy/Sell when the 3 trendalt_alerts are all above/below the zero center line. Exit when one trendalt_alerts crosses below/above the zero center line. In the attached chart red lines show a sell signal, aqua lines show an exit signal and aqua lines show buy signals. The gold dot on the candle are useful because they show where the candle closed. {image}
its sometimes moves not only fast but moves like a rocket! lol

salimc May 11, 2019 11:03am | Post# 2650

{quote} It's a tough question because the answer can be very subjective. According to the experts the best way Renko brick size is the one based on the Average True Range (ATR). The expert advisor below will produce offline Renko charts based on ATR. For example, in the GBPUSD chart below, the EA calculated the ideal Renko brick size to be 15.1 pips. You may want to use that brick size or 15 pips Renko brick size since, like most traders, you might prefer a round number. On the other hand, you might want to use another Renko brick size for your...
So now you don't use any candlestick chart?

Hutch May 12, 2019 2:52am | Post# 2651

4 Attachment(s)
{quote} Thanks for the answer The EA i use to make offline renko charts also has the following settings (see attachment) So if i enable this option it would automaticly calculate the ideal brick size for the chart it is loaded on? Newby here lol {image}
Yes it would calculate the best size of the Renko bricks for the ATR period stated. Please note that brokers don't have the same data feed as shown in the two pictures of the EA computing Renko brick size using ATR. The broker I use to trade the DAX uses tick charts this is why my Renko brick size is 500 pips. Here are 4 charts based on ATR for 2 different brokers. The first one is from my broker and the ideal Renko brick size calculated is 3906 pips. The second chart shows the "ideal" Renko brick size of 3906 pips (39.06 pips). The third chart is from another broker and the ideal Renko brick size calculated is 399 pips. The fourth chart shows the "ideal" Renko brick size of 399 pips (39.9 pips). Both Renko charts approximately look the same but are un-tradable on a daily basis using the system I use. The choice of the Renko brick size is always yours. I prefer experimenting with different brick sizes to figure out what is best for me.
Click to Enlarge

Name: GER30-M1-Broker 1-3906 pips.png
Size: 22 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: GER30-Broker 1 Renko Bricks of 3906 pips.png
Size: 43 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: DE30EUR-M1-Broker 2-399 pips.png
Size: 18 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: DE30EUR-Broker 2 Renko pips of 399 pips.png
Size: 41 KB

Hutch May 12, 2019 3:22am | Post# 2652

{quote} its sometimes moves not only fast but moves like a rocket! lol
I agree with you this is why you have to use Renko bricks equivalent to $5. With my broker this is 500 pips for other brokers it's usually 50 pips. Anything less than that makes it nearly impossible to make money.

Hutch May 12, 2019 3:29am | Post# 2653

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} So now you don't use any candlestick chart?
You are correct. I don't use the standard MT4 candlestick but use the attached scalper candles that I think are better.
smC4Scalper Candles_v3.1.ex4

salimc May 12, 2019 5:00am | Post# 2654

{quote} You are correct. I don't use the standard MT4 candlestick but use the attached scalper candles that I think are better. {file}
For which instruments & TF?

salimc May 12, 2019 5:04am | Post# 2655

{quote} I agree with you this is why you have to use Renko bricks equivalent to $5. With my broker this is 500 pips for other brokers it's usually 50 pips. Anything less than that makes it nearly impossible to make money.
except for DAX, which other instruments it can be used specifically? I have forgotten about Renko. Will Renko works for DJ, FTSE100, gbpnzd, gold, usddkk, usdmxn etc. ?

Dgrl May 12, 2019 5:07am | Post# 2656

{quote}...
Thanks Hutch for your reply
Where can i get more info about the ATR period for a better understanding?
Is it just the normal ATR indicator we talkin bout?

mring16 May 15, 2019 9:25pm | Post# 2657

[color=#333333][font=verdana]{quote}{quote} Another reason is that your EA works on tick charts. You might try the attached indicator. More information about tick charts can be found in https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=287284. {file}
Hi Hutch
I did Mathtraders suggestion of unticking offline charts and put your tick chart on This helped and I can see the ea is working as I got a few messages from the ea like total trades etc Still has not opened a trade or no error in the journal
With regards to the tick chart does this go on the offline chart or the M1 chart?
The options of spread and grid distance
What should they be?
Thanks a lot all of you guys

mring16 May 16, 2019 3:49am | Post# 2658

[quote=mring16;12275044]{quote} Hi Hutch I did Mathtraders suggestion of unticking offline charts and put your tick chart on This helped and I can see the ea is working as I got a few messages from the ea like total trades etc Still has not opened a trade or no error in the journal With regards to the tick chart does this go on the offline chart or the M1 chart? The options of spread and grid distance What should they be? Thanks a lot all of you guys

Hi Hutch
The ea did open a trade and I am watching for now
Thanks to you and everyone who helps so much on Forex factory!! Cheers
Would like to still get your thoughts on the spread and grid distance Will let you know on the results

mring16 May 16, 2019 4:02am | Post# 2659

{quote} Hi, there could be a few reasons for that. One possibility is that the EA is programmed to work in backtest mode only. Another reason could be the Renko chart (in live trading) is not correctly updated which results in no ticks update in the EA.
Hi Mathtrader
ďLegends of the fallĒ
Thats what you are! You Hutch Magix and do many more Hoe do you get the time to do what you do, blows my mind
The ea opened the first trade and that alone is so satisfying I will keep you posted on how I go
Goodluck and Godspeed
Thank you

Hutch May 16, 2019 6:45am | Post# 2660

{quote} Hi Hutch I did Mathtraders suggestion of unticking offline charts and put your tick chart on This helped and I can see the ea is working as I got a few messages from the ea like total trades etc Still has not opened a trade or no error in the journal With regards to the tick chart does this go on the offline chart or the M1 chart? The options of spread and grid distance What should they be? Thanks a lot all of you guys
Congratulations you obviously solved the problem yourself. FF is a great community where traders help other traders.

© Forex Factory