Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Institutional Equivalent Education? (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=524392)

ianf0ster Aug 2, 2017 3:24am | Post# 361

1 Attachment(s)
An update on my trades yesterday, At the time I posted the screenshots I had an 85% win rate and had made +2.4% on 34 trades with 5 loseing trades.
Then during Ray's class session I traded the API crude Oil Inventories at 21:30 UK time.
I made a further +3.4% on 5 trades with 1 loser.
Here is the screenshot with sensitive detail overwritten. It also shows my 4 winning trades on the DAX this morning.

Click to Enlarge

Name: 2August2017.png
Size: 55 KB

ianf0ster Aug 2, 2017 4:17am | Post# 362

Are there any Sierra Chart users reading this thread?
If so, then perhaps you would like to add your voice to that of my Ray students Self Help group in getting Sierra Chart to incorporate all the features that Ray uses in TradingView for his Intrinsic Value lines.
here is a post from the Self Hep Group Skype thread:

This will be the last post/reminder regarding our Sierra Charts enhancement campaign.
Sierra Charts. For those who are SC fans and fans of TradingView, I am trying to get SC to incorporate the features of TV that we like some much, into the SC platform. So I have established a private forum with SC support to discuss our requirements over at https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportB...ThreadID=28597 . I need as many SC users to make their contribution to this forum ad as soon as possible as this campaign needs plenty of SC user input but also momentum. If this is of interest to you, please get on board and push SC to make the platform even more attractive. Hopefully it will make our charting more cost effective as well. And if you know people who are SC users and not in this group, please ask them to contribute to the SC forum as a matter of urgency. Sam Van Doorn has already responded and we are trying to get Ray to contribute as well (if possible) This is a repeated message
We have managed to get SC to pay attention, so we need more SC users to go to the SC forum above and add their support to the forum for these improvements. We just got this back from Sierra Charts Support "We are checking with two different sources now for the 2 and 10 year yields. " It is a start but pressure from us users needs to be maintained. If you are aware of any SC user who has not made their contribution to the SC forum, please feel free to given a nudge with a cattle prod

ianf0ster Aug 3, 2017 9:03am | Post# 363

1 Attachment(s)
In preparation for the 10 day 'Trade Camp' Mon-Fri for the next 2 weeks (Sharp Edge Institutional 10 Day Trade Camp August 7th - 18th) Compass have arranged some free webinars:

Three more live Webinars in the Sharp Edge Room:
http://compassfx.webinato.com/sharpedge PASSWORD: macro (No Registration Required)

Perfect Process with Ray Thursday August 3th at 19:00 EASTERN - Recording now available in the room.
And another with Ray at 15:00 EASTERN on Sunday 6th August

And an 'Ask the Students' session @ 12:00 Noon EASTERN on Friday 4th August
It is planned to have 4 students including me to talk about their trading journey and answer any questions you may have - I hope there are some questions!

Content of the 10 day 'Trade Camp' is about how to trade various popular markets:
Click to Enlarge

Name: 10Day-Topics.png
Size: 887 KB

ianf0ster Aug 4, 2017 7:34am | Post# 364

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the document that forms tha basis of my talk in today's 'Ask the Students' webinar:

My-Trading-Biography.pdf

Obviously since it was written yesterday I don't know what my trading result will be for today, however at 12:30 UK time I am 0.69% and a Win% of 76%. This is befor the NFP and NY Stockmarket Open.

Update : made + 2% on the NFP - now + 2.69% and Win % is 82%

Final update for the day: total profit for the day is +4.2% with a great win% of 89%

ianf0ster Aug 5, 2017 8:02am | Post# 365

Recordings of the first 2 webinars are now available in the documents folder at the bottom right of the screen in the sharpedge room.

Three more live Webinars in the Sharp Edge Room:
http://compassfx.webinato.com/sharpedge PASSWORD: macro (No Registration Required)

Perfect Process with Ray Thursday August 3th at 19:00 EASTERN - Recording now available in the room.
And another webinar with Ray at 15:00 EASTERN on Sunday 6th August

And an 'Ask the Students' session @ 12:00 Noon EASTERN on Friday 4th August - Recording now available in the room
I somehow got my time wrong and so was very late - but I did eventually give my talk and answered some questions right at the end. Unfortunately it seems that I got in just after Kim had switched off the recording, so you won't hear my section in there.

ianf0ster Aug 5, 2017 9:48am | Post# 366

5 Attachment(s)
Some things that students who were not able to speak in the live webinar have written about the course and Ray:

Click to Enlarge

Name: Ask-the-Students-1.jpg
Size: 520 KB

Click to Enlarge

Name: Ask-the-Students-2.jpg
Size: 551 KB

Click to Enlarge

Name: Ask-the-Students-3.jpg
Size: 693 KB

Click to Enlarge

Name: Ask-the-Students-4.jpg.png
Size: 724 KB

And some of the comments in the chat:

Click to Enlarge

Name: Ask-the-Students-5.jpg.png
Size: 524 KB

ianf0ster Aug 5, 2017 12:01pm | Post# 367

I must apologise for getting confused about the time of my scheduled talk in the Ask the Students Webinar. It seems that Kim had stopped the recording just before I got into the room - anyhow Jan, Lev and Randy gave great insight into their trading histories and style of trading. It is remarkable how similar our trading histories are (including health issues) and yet how different our trading tools, styles, markets are. As for platforms, none of us uses MT4: 3 use Sierra and Lev uses Ninja + OFA.

My trading biography is in the documents folder of the room that the webinar was held in. The only other thing missing was me answering some questions - I think there were just 3 of them:-

Q1. What do I trade?
A. I trade 2 basic types of trade - Over/Undercooked News trades and Volume Cycle/Time-of-Day trades.
The markets I trade are G/U, E/U, U/J and U/Cad (rarely G/J ) Spot FX for the currency News Trades, the USOil CFD for both the API and EIA Crude Oil Inventories, The DAX30 index at the London Open and New York Open.

Q2. What Value do I use for the DAX?
A. I use short term Value. One that I use for the NewYork Open is the ETFs for the High P/E sectors versus those for Low P/E sectors. e.g. If the Financials and Tech stocks are going up and Utilities are going down then there is a Bullish rotation and the big players are overall bukllish the market.

Q3. How do you tell the difference between a Pullback and a Reversal?
A. Well this is always difficult because a Pullback is a reversal on a smaller timeframe.
However if price is rising and there is Value above, then a Pullback is almost certainly just a pullback.
But if Value is Below - then it is much more likely to be a Reversal.

ianf0ster Aug 19, 2017 9:19am | Post# 368

1 Attachment(s)
I have been too busy with both trading and attending Ray's newest classes to find time to post, but today I saw an unusually great email from Boris Schlossberg about the failure of 'Oil God' Andrew Hall and the lessons it holds for all traders:

Boris-Schlossberg-on-AndrewHall-OilGod.docx

cristy1980 Aug 24, 2017 5:38am | Post# 369

I have been too busy with both trading and attending Ray's newest classes to find time to post, but today I saw an unusually great email from Boris Schlossberg about the failure of 'Oil God' Andrew Hall and the lessons it holds for all traders: {file}
Ian man, after the 3Day ONLY! course with Ray.... I totally changed my ideas over OIL, actually I totally changed my ideas over all of trading; I'm still in Crtl+Alt+Del + Extensive Format Mode..... Totally messed up my brain, but definitely a lot to start on your own. Using the concept of "projections", if 3D was as it was I think the 10D would be 10 time's more impressive in terms of delivered information.

Coming to CL/OIL, WTF was so hard to trade it (possibly with retail mindset and information and no management of any kind...)?! and to loose such a great amount of money?!

hanover Aug 26, 2017 2:27am | Post# 370

- None of this 'Don't have a Bias' rubbish!
Yeah, the "don't have a bias" talk is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard (aw c'mon guys, d'ya know what I mean?)

Really enjoyed my 3 weeks' training with Ray, now I gotta somehow bag'n'tag all of the info, and then celebrate with a jack'n'ginger.

I might try to contact you privately, Ian, if that's ok? (I found your e-mail address earlier in this thread).

nhen Aug 26, 2017 11:56pm | Post# 371

{quote} Yeah, the "don't have a bias" talk is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard (aw c'mon guys, d'ya know what I mean?) Really enjoyed my 3 weeks' training with Ray, now I gotta somehow bag'n'tag all of the info, and then celebrate with a jack'n'ginger.

Good to see a veteran from FF joining the dark side

hanover Aug 27, 2017 8:08pm | Post# 372

Good to see a veteran from FF joining the dark side
Thank you sir, I am happy to be here.

ianf0ster Aug 28, 2017 7:12am | Post# 373

{quote} Yeah, the "don't have a bias" talk is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard (aw c'mon guys, d'ya know what I mean?) Really enjoyed my 3 weeks' training with Ray, now I gotta somehow bag'n'tag all of the info, and then celebrate with a jack'n'ginger. I might try to contact you privately, Ian, if that's ok? (I found your e-mail address earlier in this thread).
Hi Hanover,
Yes it is OK to contact me. And it is best to either use Skype or email - so long as you identify yourself. FF restrict my use of the PM facility in here because they treat me as a commercial member.

I'm glad you took the 10Day course and enjoyed it. I knew it would be more than 10 days from the list of subjects covered, but even I was surprised as to how many hours Ray put into it. It was by far the most comprehensive and most easily applied course he has ever done in the retail space.

You are in the majority, having a huge amount of information to process - even I am in that situation and I have attended all of his previous retail classes. Don't try to implement too many things at once, take 1 or 2 things at a time that you can most easily apply to your current tading and build up from there.

copi88 Aug 28, 2017 10:29am | Post# 374

{quote} Yeah, the "don't have a bias" talk is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard (aw c'mon guys, d'ya know what I mean?) Really enjoyed my 3 weeks' training with Ray, now I gotta somehow bag'n'tag all of the info, and then celebrate with a jack'n'ginger. I might try to contact you privately, Ian, if that's ok? (I found your e-mail address earlier in this thread).
welcome to the world of chocolate ashtrays

hostwey Aug 28, 2017 12:32pm | Post# 375

So, so much new info. How many trades? You guys will spend your lives listening to Ray. Just place some trades. ;o)

JethroForex Sep 6, 2017 9:29am | Post# 376

Hey guys, reading through this great thread but I don't see any institutional value trades yet, maybe someone can post a value trade chart with what they have learn't from Rays teachings please? I am very interested in this specific type of trading, but can't find any value trade chart examples in here, and it looks to be the main point of his teaching of Ray. I think it would attract a few more interested people if they could see an example of an actual value trade and the entry and why, what do you think guys?

copi88 Sep 6, 2017 9:53am | Post# 377

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, reading through this great thread but I don't see any institutional value trades yet, maybe someone can post a value trade chart with what they have learn't from Rays teachings please? I am very interested in this specific type of trading, but can't find any value trade chart examples in here, and it looks to be the main point of his teaching of Ray. I think it would attract a few more interested people if they could see an example of an actual value trade and the entry and why, what do you think guys?
This type of value trading is called statistical arbitrage. You use models to value an instrument and then when price deviates from its value you have a stats arbitrage opportunity.
Click to Enlarge

Name: TquXgZI.png
Size: 251 KB
Here is an example from today. Two trades I did on GU.
The blue line is the main value line for Sterling, Red line is the flow of funds. There are many more measures we can add into the model to value but these are the main ones. Once you have divergence then you need to conduct technical analysis to find where the areas of liquidity are for the optimal entry point.

JethroForex Sep 6, 2017 10:20am | Post# 378

{quote} This type of value trading is called statistical arbitrage. You use models to value an instrument and then when price deviates from its value you have a stats arbitrage opportunity. {image} Here is an example from today. Two trades I did on GU. The blue line is the main value line for Sterling, Red line is the flow of funds. There are many more measures we can add into the model to value but these are the main ones. Once you have divergence then you need to conduct technical analysis to find where the areas of liquidity are for the optimal...
Thanks Copi for your chart and explanation this is really interesting, and your short trade looks good! it looks as if the price has diverged from value there at the top as funds flow out of GU and as a mean reversion will likely go back to value in the short term?

if possible can you talk about the technical analysis entry and how to find the area of liquidity for entry? I was reading about value in market profile eg VAL and VAH, would this be a similar way to do what you guys are doing? or something a bit different? I am coming from Stocks and starting to wonder if the fx markets are more auction based in theory? thanks again for sharing you charts, this looks great!

dogdays713 Sep 6, 2017 10:51am | Post# 379

have you seen the trading platform bookmap?
it looks like as close to whats going as a retail trader can get

JethroForex Sep 6, 2017 11:02am | Post# 380

have you seen the trading platform bookmap? it looks like as close to whats going as a retail trader can get
Hey Dogdays, a kind of DOM system for trading fx? Is this something the fx traders use? this is interesting too, I was thinking would I need a DOM in order to see the orders and what is going on at the lower time frame price action in fx, as the transparency for me is an issue, with the whole market being decentralised how can we get to truly see what is going on, like a dealer would see? have you experience with the DOM? would spoof orders be something of a problem in reading the DOM? Would price and volume be enough to clearly view the market transparency? hmmm interesting!

© Forex Factory