Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MT4 New build 600 is released (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=469491)

brucewhain Apr 2, 2014 12:47am | Post# 661

Bravo MetaQuotes!
Ha Ha Ha

I have proliferated Plot_News MT4 v. 600 to multiple storage devices and drives - my own of course, though Recent News v.320 is still working well.

hanover Apr 3, 2014 3:32am | Post# 662

1 Attachment(s)
I just tried to compile an EA from a client and it would not compile on build 509 because the compiler is looking at the new MT4 folder from build 610. ....... At this point I am seroiusly considering moving on and dropping MT4 completely. I have spent the last 9 years developing code for MT4 and now find my old build is no longer viable without extra hassles. .........
Robert,

At one point, and after a lot of trial and error, I managed to create a setup where I could continue to compile using b509. It's explained in the attached screenshot, and with additional notes back in post #181. I expect that you know all of this already, but I include it in case it's helpful to anybody. I've found it infinitely better than trying to re-code everything using build 6xx. Also, I find the setup preferable to simply having two versions (b509, b6xx), because it eliminates the step of having to move the .ex4 file across from one folder to the other, every time I recompile. Of course with EAs and indicators it's still necessary to delete and reattach them, to allow MT4 b6xx to apply the newly modified .ex4.

Having said all this, I agree and empathize with you 100%. Like you, I have 30+ year career in software development. MQL4 build 6xx is a complete disaster.

Apart from one friend whom I'm committed to continue writing MQL4 code for (using the b509 setup explained above), I have taken the drastic step of quitting MT4 altogether. Flushing 7 years' work down the toilet wasn't an easy decision, but shedding the MT4 blinkers has opened my eyes to the fact that there are superior products out there. For example, I have a friend who trades using Interactive Br0kers (who offer significantly lower transaction costs than any MT4 br0ker), and codes all of his market profile-based S/R levels, and other indicators, using R. It's also interesting to see Daniel Fernandez' comments about build 600, and the fact that he likewise uses R.

David
Click to Enlarge

Name: Image 028.png
Size: 95 KB

MrPip Apr 3, 2014 5:57am | Post# 663

Thanks David,
I already tried that to no avail. There is something in the Registry that is causing a problem.
I solved it by copying all include files into the main code.
The only reason I need build 509 is because I have minute data for all pairs offered by FXDD since 2005.
That stopped when they changed servers, somehow I suddenly had gaps that were not there before. I know this because I collected minute data every month for years to make sure ther were no gaps.

I do not mind the new language except I keep finding bugs in the compiler when I use more advanced features.
I simply do a work around like before. As long as I do not need to backtest it is not a problem.

I am tempted to take all 3000+ indicators and 1000+ EAs and over 100 scripts that I have and copying them to the new build so see what compiles and what does not.

I am not sure but hope that limit is gone as well. As a developer I keeo hitting the Navigator limit around 200+ indicators or EAs. This is another reason I need to have multiple platforms.

Have not tested yet to see if more than 1 instance if the new build will cause further problems. I know the old build only had an occational problem with the editor if it was open for more than one instance. The last folder used is now pointed to by both editors, another registry problem.

I do not know how much longer I will be around MT4 either. I still want to assist my clients and local club members but also might be better off just focusing 100% on trading and retire from programming or look into another language(R). I believe I now have over 3 dozen languages if 8 bit CPU hex code counts as 1 per different CPU.

If R is not to bad I might be able to write a translater from MT4 to R. I did that years ago for Pascal to C to Pascal.

Robert

Mr C Apr 3, 2014 10:12am | Post# 664

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, before upgrading from build 509 I removed all the source code Mq4 files and left only the ex4 everything changed over no problem and is running fine ever since.

I kept all my Mq4 files and use the Scite compiler when I need one I can open it up and even make changes to it and then compile it to the new build and I can still download any mq4 indicator I want and use it with no programing.

Paul,

It's free http://www.abundancetradinggroup.com...-ex4-compiler/
Click to Enlarge

Name: scite_01.png
Size: 147 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: scite2.png
Size: 245 KB

hanover Apr 3, 2014 10:58am | Post# 665

Thanks David, I already tried that to no avail. There is something in the Registry that is causing a problem. I solved it by copying all include files into the main code. The only reason I need build 509 is because I have minute data for all pairs offered by FXDD since 2005. That stopped when they changed servers, somehow I suddenly had gaps that were not there before. I know this because I collected minute data every month for years to make sure ther were no gaps. I do not mind the new language except I keep finding bugs in the compiler when I...
Hi Robert,

I guess I've been fortunate as I somehow managed to avoid the registry problem.

I make extensive use of quite advanced string and array manipulation functions (library here), which the new MQL4 seems to handle very differently, hence it's simply not a viable option for me. One of my EAs compiled with more than 400 errors, and even after 2-3 hours I wasn't able to eliminate them all; I had no way of knowing whether the remaining errors were in my code, or compiler bugs. I have only 500+ indicators and EAs that would need recoding, LOL. If I was making a significant income from forex, it might be worth my while to tackle this...... but I'm not.

R is a free, interpretive, math/statistics/graphing language. From what I've seen of my friend's work, it's possible to directly import data from (for example) yahoo finance, mine it however you wish, and then plot statistical graphs using a single command. But if you were looking to replicate something like MT4, you'd find yourself writing a charting package, order processor, system tester etc from the ground up. Hence I don't think an MQL4 to R translator would be viable..... well, it would certainly be a challenge!

David

hanover Apr 3, 2014 11:21am | Post# 666

Recent News v.320 is still working well.
Good to hear that it's still operational, Bruce.

However, if it ever stops working (e.g. due to FF changing the format of their calendar), I'm afraid it's the end of the road for Plot News, as I won't be able to update it. In addition to the MT4 build 600 issues, I've recently upgraded to Windows 7, and Clarion (the programming language that I used to write the news downloader) doesn't run on a 64 bit OS — unless I upgrade it to a later version (cost: ~ $2,000). I know that there are other ways around this (e.g. running a Windows XP subsystem), but that's too much hard work for a free indicator that I no longer use myself. Hence Plot News could potentially die at any tick of the clock.

David

MrPip Apr 3, 2014 2:35pm | Post# 667

MrC thanks for the link. It might actually keep me around until Meta%$%$ decides to not allow anything before build 600 as they did with build 509. That caused be to waste a week updating everything on my website. If it happens again I am DEFINITELY DONE with MT anything.
You know it is coming.
Robert

Mr C Apr 3, 2014 3:39pm | Post# 668

MrC thanks for the link. It might actually keep me around until Meta%$%$ decides to not allow anything before build 600 as they did with build 509. That caused be to waste a week updating everything on my website. If it happens again I am DEFINITELY DONE with MT anything. You know it is coming. Robert
I was lucky I removed all source code before the new build and so far so good everything switched over no problems, on my lap top it automatically upgraded and the source code corrupted the ex4 files somehow and I did a reinstall.

Paul

jonirrenicus Apr 4, 2014 3:48am | Post# 669

Thanks to all of you!

Simply speaking, we have 2 solutions.

1 Use 509 build editor to open mq4 file in app data/838874cdcdd folder/expert, modify and compile.

2 Use http://www.abundancetradinggroup.com...-ex4-compiler/ to open mq4 file in same location, modify and complie.

Never use new editor to compile....

Fuck you MT4 for ruining my trading for 1 day.

grin Apr 6, 2014 5:31pm | Post# 670

Has anyone been experiencing problems with MT4 connecting to broker on Windows 8.1?

It is only from 8.1 and occurs on 2 different PCs. I tried disabling Windows firewall, but it did not help.

Vista had no problem. Somehow the problem is limited to a live account. Demo connects.

What could it be?

Matts Micro Apr 7, 2014 8:40am | Post# 671

Has anyone been experiencing problems with MT4 connecting to broker on Windows 8.1? It is only from 8.1 and occurs on 2 different PCs. I tried disabling Windows firewall, but it did not help. Vista had no problem. Somehow the problem is limited to a live account. Demo connects. What could it be?
Contact your broker if you can't connect they normally sort it out pretty fast, but maybe it was just because it was weekend, they often do server updates during the weekend.

grin Apr 7, 2014 9:36am | Post# 672

{quote} Contact your broker if you can't connect they normally sort it out pretty fast, but maybe it was just because it was weekend, they often do server updates during the weekend.
The problem is clearly on my end.

It only affects Win 8.1. machines and in a strange way. On one 8.1 machine I am able to connect to Demo bit not to Live. On another 8.1 machine I able to connect neither to live nor demo even with firewall and antivirus disabled.

Matts Micro Apr 7, 2014 10:36am | Post# 673

{quote} The problem is clearly on my end. It only affects Win 8.1. machines and in a strange way. On one 8.1 machine I am able to connect to Demo bit not to Live. On another 8.1 machine I able to connect neither to live nor demo even with firewall and antivirus disabled.
The broker tech support may be aware of the problem and have a solution, they are normally pretty good with these things. Can't hurt to shoot them an email to see if they have a solution. Mine also offered a remote session to see if they could get to the bottom of a problem with continued disconnections of my platform.

smash1820 Apr 9, 2014 7:14pm | Post# 674

Hey guys, I just tried to compile an EA I had worked on previously. I tried to compile in the new MT4 600+ build and things seem very different, to say the least. I'm getting all sorts of warning messages and when I compile it, it doesn't even show up now in the Navigator window! What am I doing wrong?!

smash1820 Apr 9, 2014 7:30pm | Post# 675

Where does v600 compile to? I can't find the .ex4 file!

smash1820 Apr 9, 2014 8:25pm | Post# 676

Where does v600 compile to? I can't find the .ex4 file!
I found it. But it wasn't easy. I'm not so sure I like this new version 600+ build.

Turns out Expert Advisors compile (on Windows 8.1) to: \\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\32-bit Unicode?\MQL4

and then you still need to place the .ex4 file(s) in the \experts folder.

Wat u other guys think of v600+???

Brotyboy Apr 25, 2014 6:09am | Post# 677

I've just experienced my first issue with compiling .mq4 files and have fortunately found this and another couple of threads which have helped greatly. It's just a disaster when things change and throw you off beam, although today I've only lost a couple of hours.

Once again, thanks David, for all your unrewarded efforts. You are welcome here for that beer, or whatever else you'd prefer, at any time, but especially in an Independent Scotland.

Saor Alba Gu Brath.

neil324 Apr 30, 2014 9:36am | Post# 678

Are the toolbars now fixed to the left in the new 645 build or is it just me?

neil324 May 1, 2014 5:53am | Post# 679

Anyone have issues with the manual drawing of boxes and them being deleted when changing time frames?

neil324 May 2, 2014 9:21am | Post# 680

Last moan now as I'm just talking to myself.

But Metatrader if your reading this, I am tired of getting fooking updates every few days and having to delete the junk crap indicators that get downloaded every time.

© Forex Factory