Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MT4 New build 600 is released (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=469491)

ForexOracle Feb 12, 2014 10:11am | Post# 281

With so many good coders here you guys should get together open a thread and start an open source independent charting platform. Which would accept any feed.

Phylo Feb 12, 2014 10:33am | Post# 282

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how to get around the SendMail function on the new Build 600?? On Build 509 my EA had no problems sending out emails but it wont work on the new build. Keep getting this error: Mail: 550 Sender Domain Invalid (VM420) Does anyone else have similar issues with sending out mail within their EA??
This should works - see Email at link and image below as tested on Build 604. If not, may be code - but code to send email is basic.

Inserted Code
SendMail("New Bar - blah-b-d-blah");
Click to Enlarge

Name: Email test -3.png
Size: 33 KB

liamg4x Feb 12, 2014 10:50am | Post# 283

I wish more Brokers would offer "ProTrader" it seems like a good platform.
Also capable of running MQ4 files.

Anybody have any experience with it?

Intrepidpips Feb 12, 2014 11:19am | Post# 284

1 Attachment(s)
Previously, I made for myself a directory structure that contained all the indicators, scripts, templates, extra Sound files, etc. that I could easily copy-and-paste into any new MT4 installations. With the new 600+ builds and the Virtual Store in play, that has changed some things, but I think I have figured out a way to do things in a very similar way, once again. I've re-arranged my files to match the new folder names and locations. I've also figured out how to not use the Virtual Store, or at least it appears to work. I'm experimenting with...
Hey P4L
I love your work but just don't know how to code for now.
I upgraded a demo account to Build 600 but surprisingly everything seems okay except my precious P4L Clock.
Please let us know when you work around this upgrade and convert your indies to Build 600 compatible, I'm sure it would be a cinch for you, given enough time.

Thanks pal
Click to Enlarge

Name: [GBPJPYm,M1]_2014-02-12_13-58-39 BUILD 600.png
Size: 119 KB

rockit Feb 12, 2014 2:24pm | Post# 285

With so many good coders here you guys should get together open a thread and start an open source independent charting platform. Which would accept any feed.
This has been futile so far, because there was no - feed!
Because of the dominance of mt4, and the fact that metaquotes decided to not open up the server protocol.
Only few brokers offer a (proprietary) api, and usually they offer the access to it only to high volume clients. Such api is tied to the broker.

But this may change now, because the company behind cTrader has created an open api. Not only is cTrader platform offered by several brokers, and this number might grow in the future, but also the api can access a client's account regardless of the broker where it is at.
And, it can be accessed by 3rd parties on the behalf of the client.
Therefore an open source terminal or web service can be made now to support cTrader platform, independently of brokers or other factors.

MT4Coder Feb 12, 2014 2:33pm | Post# 286

I've just had the pleasure of my MT installation upgrading to build 600 without having the decency to request permission, then spent an hour or so fixing errors in my EAs. This wasn't too bad as I have 25,000 lines of code and expected it to take days.

Overall the Metaeditor in build 600 is superior in many ways to the old one, compilation speed is now 1-2 seconds on my machine, as opposed to 15 seconds in the old IDE...

There's just one really annoying feature that I can't seem to switch off - after compiling my EA it automatically executes. I've looked in the Metaeditor options but can't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction or is it impossible to switch off this annoyance?

rockit Feb 12, 2014 2:39pm | Post# 287

after compiling my EA it automatically executes.
It cannot execute on its own if it is not already running in the terminal. Where would it execute?
Also, you can run the metaeditor on its own - just start the metaeditor, not the terminal.

hanover Feb 12, 2014 3:23pm | Post# 288

after compiling my EA it automatically executes. I've looked in the Metaeditor options but can't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction or is it impossible to switch off this annoyance?
The following workaround is arguably clumsy, but you might want to try something similar as a last resort. I've used it in prior builds, and I've found it easier than removing and re-attaching the EA to the chart.

Inserted Code
extern bool compile_lock = true;

int init() {
  if (compile_lock) return(0);
  //.... rest of init() code
}

int start() {
  if (compile_lock) return(0);
  //.... rest of start() code
}
Then, after compile and when I want the EA to start running, I press F7 to modify the EA parameters, and set compile_lock to false, effectively releasing the EA to do its thing.

When I'm ready to release the EA for distribution, I remove this code.

AimHigher Feb 12, 2014 4:05pm | Post# 289

I wish more Brokers would offer "ProTrader" it seems like a good platform. Also capable of running MQ4 files. Anybody have any experience with it?
I thought Protrader seemed like a great alternative with native support for both mql4 and c#. However after reading the post below I got a lot less optimistic about brokers adopting it. Without a pricing model that makes sense for brokers with established Metatrader user base adoption rates will be low. Also, it will probably be tough to sell traders on paying more for using another platform even if that platform is better. I also might have misunderstood what was said but if Protrader allows LPs last look then that is an issue as well. My understanding is that cTrader doesn't but please correct me if I am wrong.http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/php...hp?f=75&t=3206

ForexOracle Feb 12, 2014 4:20pm | Post# 290

{quote} This has been futile so far, because there was no - feed! Because of the dominance of mt4, and the fact that metaquotes decided to not open up the server protocol. Only few brokers offer a (proprietary) api, and usually they offer the access to it only to high volume clients. Such api is tied to the broker. But this may change now, because the company behind cTrader has created an open api. Not only is cTrader platform offered by several brokers, and this number might grow in the future, but also the api can access a client's account regardless...

I understand now.I was assuming free feeds ( quotes) to be widely available so one could just connect to it. thanks for the explanation!!

MaxDoom Feb 12, 2014 5:14pm | Post# 291

{quote} Give up on MT5 ? no chance . . . MT4.5 is simply a stepping stone to help get you onto MT5
Double bluff theory eh.

an expensive way to do it they could of just stopped updating mt4

time will tell of course. I moved to mt5 a long time ok so no pain with this mt4 update for me

liamg4x Feb 12, 2014 6:18pm | Post# 292

{quote} I thought Protrader seemed like a great alternative with native support for both mql4 and c#. However after reading the post below I got a lot less optimistic about brokers adopting it. Without a pricing model that makes sense for brokers with established Metatrader user base adoption rates will be low. Also, it will probably be tough to sell traders on paying more for using another platform even if that platform is better. I also might have misunderstood what was said but if Protrader allows LPs last look then that is an issue as well....

Thank you for the info AimHigher

positiveday Feb 12, 2014 6:28pm | Post# 293

{quote} Give up on MT5 ? no chance . . . MT4.5 is simply a stepping stone to help get you onto MT5
I really hope that MetaQuotes guys are not so stupids to think a such wrong idea.
The fail of MT5 has happened (note the past time) due the single position per pair, so traders have not accepted MT5.
It's almost an ingenuous idea think that the reason why MT5 has not been accepted was because programmers have problems with the new improved language of MT5.
I would be happy to program in MT5, but till traders will refuse it (due idiotic trading way) I will never start to release my software for MT5 platform.

hanover Feb 12, 2014 6:41pm | Post# 294

The fail of MT5 has happened (note the past time) due the single position per pair, so traders have not accepted MT5. It's almost an ingenuous idea think that the reason why MT5 has not been accepted was because programmers have problems with the new improved language of MT5.
MT4 and MT5 are TRADING platforms, and the vast majority of people who use them are TRADERS, not programmers. The non-acceptance of MT5 is due primarily to traders' heavy reliance on custom indicators and EAs, and the failure of MQL4-coded indicators and EAs to run, without modification, on MT5. You only have to read all of the problems in this thread, and others on the MetaQuotes and other forums, to see that TRADERS don't want to be bombarded with technical issues that they can't solve. They don't care what features the programming language does or doesn't have, or whether it's similar to C, or C++, or whatever. They just want their indicators and EAs to run, so that they can continue the business of TRADING.

RaptorUK Feb 12, 2014 7:05pm | Post# 295

{quote} MT4 and MT5 are TRADING platforms, and the vast majority of people who use them are TRADERS, not programmers. The non-acceptance of MT5 is due primarily to traders' heavy reliance on custom indicators and EAs, and the failure of MQL4-coded indicators and EAs to run, without modification, on MT5.
Exactly . . . and in a few months time most people will have their Indicators and EAs working on their MT4.5 platforms . . . the step from MT4.5 to MT5 is less than the step from MT4 to MT5

RaptorUK Feb 12, 2014 7:09pm | Post# 296

{quote} I really hope that MetaQuotes guys are not so stupids to think a such wrong idea. The fail of MT5 has happened (note the past time) due the single position per pair, so traders have not accepted MT5. It's almost an ingenuous idea think that the reason why MT5 has not been accepted was because programmers have problems with the new improved language of MT5. I would be happy to program in MT5, but till traders will refuse it (due idiotic trading way) I will never start to release my software for MT5 platform.
Have you looked at the trading functions within mql5 ? do you understand about Orders, Deals and Positions ? MT5 is very, very different when it comes to trading and trade management. Even Indicators are different, the bars are counted in reverse compared to MT4

gator-trader Feb 12, 2014 7:27pm | Post# 297

1 Attachment(s)
I removed VirtualStore when I first got my computer. When I installed the new metatrader on this computer my MQL4 directory was placed in my directory with my mt4 application. It is much easier this way. Now instead if going to metatrader/experts I just go to metatrader/mql4/experts and everything else is the same. No searching for files.
Name:  Image1.png
Views: 668
Size:  6 KB

Scarlett Feb 12, 2014 9:05pm | Post# 298

{quote} MT4 and MT5 are TRADING platforms, and the vast majority of people who use them are TRADERS, not programmers. The non-acceptance of MT5 is due primarily to traders' heavy reliance on custom indicators and EAs, and the failure of MQL4-coded indicators and EAs to run, without modification, on MT5. You only have to read all of the problems in this thread, and others on the MetaQuotes and other forums, to see that TRADERS don't want to be bombarded with technical issues that they can't solve. They don't care what features the programming language...
Thank you so much!
It is unnerving to read that coders have solved their issues with their custom work arounds.
The rest of us are stuck without charts.
MY charts are very stripped down and I only have 3 indicators for visual attention, only one of which now works.
But I also had two demo charts on the desktop that are not US based charts so that I could see USDX, the metals, and the indexes (YM, NQ, etc.)
Those no longer even open. They were DOA on Sunday night.
I appreciate your sympathy, Hanover...it is great for a techie to notice.

FerruFx Feb 12, 2014 9:30pm | Post# 299

{quote}It is unnerving to read that coders have solved their issues with their custom work arounds. The rest of us are stuck without charts.
That was part of MQ/Brokers goal ...

slowhand Feb 13, 2014 12:14am | Post# 300

Further to this and AimHigher's reference to Protrader I came across tradable.com, looking to offer a platform. Looks promising, but broker uptake appears slow (no surprise!).

A.

© Forex Factory