Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to Protect your EA source code. (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=40556)

rafaello Jul 28, 2007 11:28am | Post# 1

How to Protect your EA source code.

If you created Expert Advisor and want to sell it, how can you protect it's code, so no one can rename and resell it somewhere else? Is it possible to disable modification?

ycomp Jul 28, 2007 11:31am | Post# 2

I think this thread should be in the metatrader forum?

Please explain why someone would want to sell their EA instead of using it for trading themselves? The only explanation I can think of is that it is not good enough to be trusted with money. If it is good enough, there are other ways to come up with the initial capital to fund your trading (if it really is good enough for trading)

rafaello Jul 28, 2007 11:32am | Post# 3

why wouldn't someone do both? the person can make money himself with his expert adviser and help others make money with it, why one contradicts another?

ycomp Jul 28, 2007 12:01pm | Post# 4

why wouldn't someone do both? the person can make money himself with his expert adviser and help others make money with it, why one contradicts another?
as I said, if the EA is truly that spectacular, there are other ways to come up with capital large enough to trade with that would overshadow the amount of money raised from selling the EA. And one wouldn't have to worry about "protecting" it because only you would have the source code... (and your dedicated server)

rafaello Jul 28, 2007 12:04pm | Post# 5

as I said, if the EA is truly that spectacular, there are other ways to come up with capital large enough to trade with that would overshadow the amount of money raised from selling the EA. And one wouldn't have to worry about "protecting" it because only you would have the source code... (and your dedicated server)
nobody is talking about raising capital for trading, it has nothing to do with that. if you could have another income stream, besides trading, by selling your EA, why wouldn't you do it?

Plutonite Jul 28, 2007 12:10pm | Post# 6

Please explain why someone would want to sell their EA instead of using it for trading themselves? The only explanation I can think of is that it is not good enough to be trusted with money. If it is good enough, there are other ways to come up with the initial capital to fund your trading (if it really is good enough for trading)
I agree. Also, trying to "protect" a program is indeed a contradictory term because all programs will get executed in the end no matter how far you go with obfuscation, and as such they can and will be reverse engineered if you choose to "hide" the logic behind your method/set of methods by not providing the source.

I would never buy any "system", programmed or otherwise...the owner of a super duper ultimate algorithm would probably be making more money than to worry about selling it to newbies No offense intended here, just my 2 pips.

Plutonite Jul 28, 2007 12:13pm | Post# 7

nobody is talking about raising capital for trading, it has nothing to do with that. if you could have another income stream, besides trading, by selling your EA, why wouldn't you do it?
Because the 2 income streams would be incomparable if it truly is consistently profitable and non-aggravating to brokers. It just doesn't make sense if you already have enough capital to work with an incredible method(I have never seen one), you already have a 6 figure income potential. Why bother with selling it for peanuts?

rafaello Jul 28, 2007 12:30pm | Post# 8

Because the 2 income streams would be incomparable if it truly is consistently profitable and non-aggravating to brokers. It just doesn't make sense if you already have enough capital to work with an incredible method(I have never seen one), you already have a 6 figure income potential. Why bother with selling it for peanuts?
I agree , but nobody is talking about super duper system that will make you rich overnight. Well i think we got off the main topic of this thread anyway

© Forex Factory