Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Ratios & Harmonics: a Different Way to Trade (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=402253)

Suran Jan 21, 2020 12:08pm | Post# 49041

One trade = -25 (I was trading the intraday order flow) {image}

What is the instrument?

If I can remember correctly , Mr.Pip said once if the pull back went too deep (deeper than 76% ) then mostly its doomed to fail.your entry seams went too deep.

Raini Jan 21, 2020 12:58pm | Post# 49042

{quote} What is the instrument? If I can remember correctly , Mr.Pip said once if the pull back went too deep (deeper than 76% ) then mostly its doomed to fail.your entry seams went too deep.

Hi Suran,

The chart is from the mini dow (YM - 144 tick). That's definitely an interesting observation. I know the deeper retracements are more probable to fail, but I simply just trade the expectation, however, I will keep your tidbit in mind next time!! Thanks for the help!!

bmdenton23 Jan 21, 2020 2:56pm | Post# 49043

1 Attachment(s)
0 for 2 today
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot1.png
Size: 134 KB

PB108 Jan 21, 2020 3:28pm | Post# 49044

{quote} One of the key concepts taught on this thread is the expectation of projection symmetry as well as pullback symmetry. This is very much re-presentable by using the trendline or a trend-channel as shown. We expect that a new swing will project approximately the same length as the previous swing and we expect the next pullback to be similar to the last pullback. As those get out of balance, we have a clue about the possibility of change. Strictly trading a trendline all the time will not be profitable for you. I'd encourage you to put more...
Beautiful explanation, thank you so much!

PB108 Jan 21, 2020 3:40pm | Post# 49045

0 for 2 today {image}
Hey Bmdenton,

I noticed that you know to code and was wondering how beneficial you found it for yourself? I feel like this strategy is fairly better to trade from the discretionary side as supposed to having it written in an algorithm since there are so many variables that go into this. I think in terms of creating certain indicators, or finding those harmonic patterns it could be helpful, but what if one is not really interested in taking those gartleys, bats, etc. Seems like there's so much talk in the industry that traders must know how to program to stay ahead of the curve, so it could be something that we should probably learn.

Thanks, and appreciate your insight as always!

bmdenton23 Jan 21, 2020 4:44pm | Post# 49046

2 Attachment(s)
{quote} Hey Bmdenton, I noticed that you know to code and was wondering how beneficial you found it for yourself? I feel like this strategy is fairly better to trade from the discretionary side as supposed to having it written in an algorithm since there are so many variables that go into this. I think in terms of creating certain indicators, or finding those harmonic patterns it could be helpful, but what if one is not really interested in taking those gartleys, bats, etc. Seems like there's so much talk in the industry that traders must know how...
I am not opposed to algorithmic trading, I am pursuing it in fact and have written several strategies including this one. However the main intention of my coding work as it pertains to trading is either research oriented or tool oriented. For instance I've created tools that make it easier to project the one to one and extension targets. I've created tools to both identify as well as manually draw patterns. And I've certainly created strategies that allow me to research almost anything I want as it pertains to the strategy taught here.

Let's take Suran's statement above about how often swings fail that pull back to the 76%.
I can quickly plug that into a research strategy implementing Mr. Pips strategy and tell you that entering on swings at or deeper than the 76% pullback result in the following stats:

p.s. I am more than wiling to use the Mr. Pip strategy I created for research purposes for this group. If anyone would like a theory tested that's roughly within this strategies guidelines I can certainly put it to the test.
Name:  Screenshot1.png
Views: 848
Size:  11 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot2.png
Size: 131 KB

PB108 Jan 21, 2020 6:44pm | Post# 49047

{quote} I am not opposed to algorithmic trading, I am pursuing it in fact and have written several strategies including this one. However the main intention of my coding work as it pertains to trading is either research oriented or tool oriented. For instance I've created tools that make it easier to project the one to one and extension targets. I've created tools to both identify as well as manually draw patterns. And I've certainly created strategies that allow me to research almost anything I want as it pertains to the strategy taught here. Let's...
Wow that's amazing, great job! I definitely would love to learn it for that very reason which is to create strategies with this methodology, and also researching various different things. Thanks again for your very detailed response, it honestly means a lot! Wish you all the best in everything you do.

Also, do you have any tips on the best way to go about learning how to code? I know NT uses C# and there are a few places like YouTube where one can learn it.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

bmdenton23 Jan 22, 2020 9:53am | Post# 49048

{quote} Wow that's amazing, great job! I definitely would love to learn it for that very reason which is to create strategies with this methodology, and also researching various different things. Thanks again for your very detailed response, it honestly means a lot! Wish you all the best in everything you do. Also, do you have any tips on the best way to go about learning how to code? I know NT uses C# and there are a few places like YouTube where one can learn it. Thanks again, and have a great day!
My suggestion is to start with the NT8 Strategy Builder Wizard
Inserted Video

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?ns_wizard.htm

You can then take the strategy you build in the wizard and "unlock it", which renders the wizard unusable again for that strategy but allows you access to the c# code generated by the strategy. This is a good starting point for understanding the NT code flow as it pertains to strategies/indis/etc....
Inserted Video

bmdenton23 Jan 22, 2020 11:03am | Post# 49049

1 Attachment(s)
2 trades this morning, I don't usually start with very deep retracements but had some conviction so traded with .618 targets
Click to Enlarge

Size: 155 KB

PB108 Jan 22, 2020 3:24pm | Post# 49050

{quote} My suggestion is to start with the NT8 Strategy Builder Wizard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__cetyO_5s https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?ns_wizard.htm You can then take the strategy you build in the wizard and "unlock it", which renders the wizard unusable again for that strategy but allows you access to the c# code generated by the strategy. This is a good starting point for understanding the NT code flow as it pertains to strategies/indis/etc.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0W4ECyVdc...
Okay sweet, I'll be sure to check them out, thank you!! Does one even need a background in C# to get started or is that not necessary to work with Ninjascript?

Flyboy1966 Jan 23, 2020 4:43am | Post# 49051

{quote} Okay sweet, I'll be sure to check them out, thank you!! Does one even need a background in C# to get started or is that not necessary to work with Ninjascript?
I don't think it's necessary just helpful. There are many free courses on Youtube. The easy way is to look at code from an indicator that works and modify it. Just remember silly errors happen if the syntax is 1 digit off..... but ninjascript flags it for you.....

bmdenton23 Jan 23, 2020 12:58pm | Post# 49052

1 Attachment(s)
1 loser today, January is really a grind after having such an easy December.

Intraday Pip Swings for comparison sake

November
55% win rate
1.31 ratio
1.57 PF
+85 points

December
83% win rate
.77 ratio
PF 3.86
+260 points

January
47% win rate
1.16 ratio
PF 1.02
+8 points
Click to Enlarge

Size: 122 KB

bmdenton23 Jan 24, 2020 12:11pm | Post# 49053

1 Attachment(s)
One trade today +35
Click to Enlarge

Size: 130 KB

2020DowJones Jan 25, 2020 8:23pm | Post# 49054

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, please disregard my previous post. The data feed was off and the charts have incorrect values. Here's a quick analysis of the YM Weekly (Sims) with the data feed on.

A top-down analysis of the Daily, 4 hour, 30 min, and 233 tick are soon to follow.

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 107.png
Size: 109 KB

2020DowJones Jan 25, 2020 9:48pm | Post# 49055

3 Attachment(s)
Top-Down Analysis - YM, 4 Hour, 30 Min, 400 Tick.

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 107.png

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 110.png
Size: 137 KB

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 112.png
Size: 154 KB

2020DowJones Jan 26, 2020 1:45pm | Post# 49056

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, top-down analysis is a very important function of trading. Levels from Weekly charts down to 30 min charts will help pinpoint entries on the 233 Tick chart. A perfect example is this 233 tick chart. Observe price action in the lower left. Price moves up touching the weekly level, retraces a bit, then closes above this level. A setup like this is golden. I'll wait for a retrace back into the weekly level and take a long trade from there on the 233 tick chart. Have a great day, 2020DowJones.

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 114.png

Ebenol Jan 26, 2020 2:48pm | Post# 49057

1 loser today, January is really a grind after having such an easy December. Intraday Pip Swings for comparison sake November 55% win rate 1.31 ratio 1.57 PF +85 points December 83% win rate .77 ratio PF 3.86 +260 points January 47% win rate 1.16 ratio PF 1.02 +8 points {image}
hello bmdenton23, can u add the total number of trades taken each month, also do u av a maximum SL u can take per trade

Rush2112 Jan 26, 2020 10:10pm | Post# 49058

1 Attachment(s)
Back to trading this week and taking an early one to start out.
Click to Enlarge

Name: 28664 Entry.png
Size: 78 KB

2020DowJones Jan 26, 2020 10:37pm | Post# 49059

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I just made a vid on my Sims YM Short. Plus $190, 1 contract- fake $$$. I would like to post this video as it shows how I work the charts during a trade. I've tried to download the video from a youtube account with no luck. The vid has been sped up to cut down on the 30 min length to about 10 min. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 118.png
Size: 1.1 MB

Click to Enlarge

Name: Screenshot 117.png
Size: 1.1 MB

bmdenton23 Jan 27, 2020 10:22am | Post# 49060

Hi, I just made a vid on my Sims YM Short. Plus $190, 1 contract- fake $$$. I would like to post this video as it shows how I work the charts during a trade. I've tried to download the video from a youtube account with no luck. The vid has been sped up to cut down on the 30 min length to about 10 min. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks {image} {image}
Just post the url to your youtube video here, no need to actually download/attach the video.

© Forex Factory