Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Systems (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   MTF The Escalator to Pips Strategy (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=36574)

emda Oct 9, 2007 3:53am | Post# 81

Banzai , Thank's for 4tfStochBar, look nice, will try it,

I made a stoch indicator base on M5 data.
By this indicator I know where is the exact Stoch position of the higher TF. The first version, using M1 base data, where need a lot of memory , so I made a new one using M5 data.

But too bad, this indicator often make my computer show message "windows virtual memory too minimum.." ( sort of this word)

May be the array operation wasn't correct, Could any body help me ?
Here is the picture of Spud indicator on the 3rd window.
And the Spud indicator.

thank you.. interesting indicator
I still don't have problems with it

Musanto Oct 9, 2007 6:30am | Post# 82

Hope you are fine, spud.

your welcome Emda,

If the line bounch too much use the ma, it's unusual ma, it's linear regression , set the period in "Pd" parameter. If the stoch bar is made by Spud indicator, it will be more impressive, cause the value is fix, not blinking green-red as now.

enjoy it

emda Oct 9, 2007 11:07am | Post# 83

your welcome Emda,

If the line bounch too much use the ma, it's unusual ma, it's linear regression , set the period in "Pd" parameter. If the stoch bar is made by Spud indicator, it will be more impressive, cause the value is fix, not blinking green-red as now.

enjoy it
Thank you
I was wondering why it was more bumpy... now Im using the second buffer and Pd=6

very very good indicator for Spudfyre Strategy

emda Oct 9, 2007 2:06pm | Post# 84

hey Musanto, there is a bug. if you let the indicator on for a while... it doesn't paint the new bars. if timeframe Period is set to a higher timeframe than current.

Musanto Oct 9, 2007 6:21pm | Post# 85

Bug, fixed

1 Attachment(s)
Only the ma won't paint, ok,
I'll fix it

Now it's Fixed
Spud ver2.1.mq4

Musanto Oct 9, 2007 9:00pm | Post# 86

How to

I see the difference of up move of the TF M5 will influence the up move of M15, and M30 ,M60 and H4 in the up trend. But if the lower TF doesn't influence the higher TF, it's mean down trend.

Does any body know how to calculate this ?
Watch it by setting Spud Indicator with TF M5,M15,M30 &M60, in chart M5

It's could be the Spud's magic crystal, let me make the indicator for you.

censura Oct 16, 2007 4:44am | Post# 87

code of indicator

1 Attachment(s)
Hi i hope someone can help. I have noticed severall of you are profficient in coding indicators and wondered if anyone of you could code this for me.

I have been testing this system for 3 weeks now with great results in 3 weeks i have had 18 trades with 15 being winners and at least 1 of the losers was a poor entry on my part and not the system.

I use the MTF indicator and set it on the 15min time frame using 3 MTF's 15min,30min and 1hr (23.6, 50, 76.4 as levels) My chart has multi pivot and the fib scale as per a spud thread some time ago. I use these for exit consideration along with the daily range.

The system is very simple buy when 15min and 30min have crossed 50 line and 1hr is supporting trade ie moveing in the same direction and has crossed 23.6 line- reverse for sell. Exit i have a number of exit options 1 daily range target , or if 30min crosses back over 50line or 1hr crosses back over 76.4 line

I wish an indicator written to alert when
15min and 30min have crossed 50 line and 1hr is supportiing trade ie moving in the same direction (perhaps it can look back over last 3 bars ) and has crossed 23.6 line . Also it would be great if it showed an arrow on the chart

If someone can do this i would be very grateful.

The alert would help me fromwatching the screen all the time if it had an email optiona all the better. The cross would prompt me to look at the set up. Set ups should ideally be as per attachment with a tight parrellel movement these are the ones i take i have banked over 1300 pips in 3 weeks so far and the 3 losses only cost me 144 pips in total
gbpjpy.zip

melpheos Oct 16, 2007 9:34am | Post# 88

2 Attachment(s)
I don't understand why people talk about repainting so much ? These bars showing different colors are doing the same what stochastic are doing. If you don't believe it put your MTF stochastic indicator in your chart as well and compare.

Of course you can't do a proper backtesting with this indicator (actually almost with any indicator it is impossible to get real accurate result)...Backtesting is possible with price action though.

I think the idea behind this wonderful indicator is the SOUND ALERT (which is what i have been looking for some time now and asked for help from different coders here). The KEY is to SPOT the moments when all the stochs are cooperating and only then we are taking a trade. And after the alert i want to look at the stochs and see HOW they are cooperating before i take a trade. Just like Spud has revealed in his escalator to pips.

Anyway this is just my opinion

Good luck in trading.
I think this two screenshot will give you more info about repainting

The first screenshot shows what you should have without repainting (green is 15, blue is 30, red is 60 and magenta is 240) I have volontarily left the indicator showing up dots as you see the stochastic on your charts

The 2nd screenshot is what you see when you refresh the indicator as in a no repaint condition.

The 2nd screenshot is what you see when you refresh the indicator

Edit : the indicator as i made it, shows when there is a reversal in the direction of the stochastic
Click to Enlarge

Name: mtf2.gif
Size: 29 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: mtf3.gif
Size: 28 KB

jatki24300 Oct 23, 2007 3:03pm | Post# 89

Stoch

Any help would be greatfull. Are there setting for the stoch so that is will give the representation of a higher time frame. I like 14,3,3. I would gust like to see higher time frames on same chart with out the repainting of a mtf. Is there a formula to calculate this like for ma's. Thanks. Jatki24300

dragosd1 Mar 10, 2008 4:04am | Post# 90

Hi, there,
trading with stochastic is great, if you get used with price action and stochastic reactions to price.
nice thread, thx for posting.

forexmoments Mar 10, 2008 8:09am | Post# 91

Hi, there,
trading with stochastic is great, if you get used with price action and stochastic reactions to price.
nice thread, thx for posting.
Yep, Stochs is an all time classic, especially when used in MTF.

Nanoi Mar 10, 2008 3:58pm | Post# 92

coloured stoch

Hi there,

I'm new to this thread and need help.

I had downloaded the coloured stoch indicator but was only able to put one coloured stoch in the indicator window. I seen in this thread that someone posted a pic showing 4 coloured stoch indicator in one window indicator.

Can anyone tell me as to how i could put all of 4 TF coloured stoch in one window?

BTW, the system looks promising.

tks

Nanoi

jdcompute Mar 19, 2008 11:12am | Post# 93

Where's Spudfyre

does anyone know if he still posts/reads in the forums? I don't find any recent posts from him.

Rialto Mar 19, 2008 11:21am | Post# 94

Spud no longer posts here at FF. Months back he mentioned that he was going to take a vacation and hasn't been heard from since. I hope he's fine. I can tell you this - there are many here at FF that sorely miss him.

jdcompute Mar 19, 2008 8:27pm | Post# 95

Spud

Wow, that's too bad. I wanted to personally thank him for all of his contributions. Maybe there's some personal issues that came up. By the way, thanks very much for replying to me with that response. I came across this thread about a week ago and it's been working for me sooooo soo great! Have you tried it?

et_phonehome_2 Mar 19, 2008 8:31pm | Post# 96

Spudfyre

Thanks for another system....

jojo2007 Mar 20, 2008 10:47am | Post# 97

help

how to set up to make all stoch bar appear on the chart

byens Jun 16, 2008 3:36pm | Post# 98

Hi,

I like ColorStochastic V1.02, but can u make arrow inside indicator so we know when its crossed down/up, not in price area but inside each indicator.
Great system.. nice indi ..

Thx

Pipinator Aug 11, 2008 9:58am | Post# 99

repainting

how are you guys handling this repainting?

Harry123 Aug 12, 2008 12:07am | Post# 100

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y09262007a.gif

To understand more about the Stoch Bars, just put them up side by side. As you can see, it's about the same. H4 is your TREND. In the above example, we have 3 chances to go LONG when %K crosses up %D.
Hi Banzai,

Could you please attached the Stochastics Bar Indicators of this particular version again as the one you attached earliers was a Stochastics coloured line indicator and not the bars.

Many thanks.

fxxx Oct 31, 2008 3:10am | Post# 101

1 Attachment(s)
What I highlighted above is why people talk so much about repainting- Not only can you not do a proper backtest, any backtesting you do is meaningless, if you're simply looking at the chart.

That is not true of indicators that do not change state after the close of the bar.
you probably learned already- every indicator changes it's values on open bar with price change: 5 min indicator would change values(colors) 5 min (as you call it "repaint") 15 min indicator on 5 min chart - 15 min; it would take 3 5min bars for 15min bar (and ind.) ind. to close and set value; correspondingly 30 min and 1H on 5 min chart would take 6 and 12 bars (dots) to close, etc

mtf ind. usually "stretched" to time on lower TF for user convenience, providing user knows (understands): 3(6) bars wide section on 5 min chart - shows one bar on 15(30) min chart
or same thing - you can open 3 charts on 3 TFs and watch just one bar changing on each TF

on backtesting of all indicators (mtf or not) we can see only closing bar ind. value- no data where it was in-between (same as if we could see only price line, not price bars (HiLoOpClose a bit different than close-close) that's why often people waiting on bar close to validate signal

hope it'll help
Name:  stochbars1-1.gif
Views: 4156
Size:  11 KB

pips stunner Feb 10, 2009 6:00am | Post# 102

Problem with escalator

i'm new to forex and i like your escalator.i have a problem.i did everything according to the manual but the 4TF Has 1 and 2 indicators colours dont change. please i would appreciate if you help me figure out this problem.

pesteban Feb 16, 2009 5:56pm | Post# 103

Chance color a bars

1 Attachment(s)
Open the indicator, go iputs/Show Bars, selct fals or true.

Pedro
Name:  Color.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  29 KB

clayton4115 Mar 28, 2009 6:21pm | Post# 104

can this strategy be used for stocks too or just forex?

Walad100100 Mar 29, 2009 4:13am | Post# 105

Surely it can but the issue is does it do the job or not? From my experience, it can hurt you badly especially if the market strong and insists to stay in the overbought/sold areas. I am tried it practically for months and it caused lots of losses to me -- but that's me.

oblo Mar 29, 2009 4:25pm | Post# 106

Hi Walad,

can you say something more about the bad trades during overbought or oversold market?
Are you referring to the h4 stoch in OB or OS position?

Thanks,

Ramon

Walad100100 Mar 30, 2009 4:02am | Post# 107

Ramon,

I spent almost 7 months with this strategy. I used the nested 1D, 4H, 30M, 5M stochastics. What happens is that you always keep your fingers crossed that things will fall down (if you are coming from the OB zone). And you may get full agreement of the 4 stochastics but guess what, things keep moving up ... up... and up... and you get burnt unless you cut your losses...

Even the author (Spud) of this strategy, after a few months, admitted that you need to be careful when using it. He established a new thread called something like "Predictive MTF Stochastics". Was trying to follow but found it hard to read...

Anyhow, I am trying my luck right now with the siimple basic privot trading system.

clayton4115 Mar 30, 2009 4:47am | Post# 108

hello Wallad

you may try and use MACDs to try and mitigate this problem, yes the schols can hit the "wall" and keep going up, however you also should look at the MACD to see where the price action may go.

I am a newbie to forex trading or any trading so i am experimenting too!

Walad100100 Mar 31, 2009 4:11am | Post# 109

I tried MACD too -- does not improve things remarkably. In general, stochastics are good if the pair is trading sideways, and MACD is good if it is trending.

Anyhow, no matter what, don't risk more than 1% of your portfolio.

clayton4115 Mar 31, 2009 4:56pm | Post# 110

yes, i too find it extremely difficult to find all the times moving in the same direction, however if one looks at the 4H and then the 1H and 30Mins and if they are all heading in the same direction then it is fair to say you should get some pips,

even the 1H, 30mins and 15Mn is better as the 4H is quite too old, thats just my opinion.

M_j Apr 23, 2009 12:36pm | Post# 111

Have posted at my journal a first impression of a Escalator to PIPs subversion. http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=144270

StartDate: 04/17/2009 EndDate: 04/23/2009

TOTAL ACCOUNT REPORT: START Balance:100000 --> END Balance: 106875.04

Trades: 35
Profit: 31 | Loss: 4
WIN/LOSS Percentage: WIN: 88.5714285714 | LOSS 11.4285714286

M_j Apr 29, 2009 12:37pm | Post# 112

My new tests based on Escalator are not doing to well at the moment. Just post hear to balance the earlier results and give a better picture where I'm at.

1. the worst account Started on Monday 27 till now:

TOTAL ACCOUNT REPORT: START Balance:100000 END Balance: 93101.06

Trades: 21
Profit: 14 | Loss: 7
WIN/LOSS Percentage: WIN: 66.6666666667 | LOSS 33.3333333333

2. the best account Started on Monday 27 till now:
TOTAL ACCOUNT REPORT: START Balance:100000 END Balance: 101058.70

Trades: 15
Profit: 13 | Loss: 2
WIN/LOSS Percentage: WIN: 86.6666666667 | LOSS 13.3333333333

------------------

Still much to early to say anything - and also good signs apart from the negative results.

vnathwani Apr 29, 2009 12:56pm | Post# 113

Ramon,

I spent almost 7 months with this strategy. I used the nested 1D, 4H, 30M, 5M stochastics. What happens is that you always keep your fingers crossed that things will fall down (if you are coming from the OB zone). And you may get full agreement of the 4 stochastics but guess what, things keep moving up ... up... and up... and you get burnt unless you cut your losses...

Even the author (Spud) of this strategy, after a few months, admitted that you need to be careful when using it. He established a new thread called something like "Predictive...
Hi. Did you implement any SLs on trades? If the approach works say 6 times out of 10 and you get 50pips profit but the other 4 times it blows up and you lose 50pips, then the system works

I want to try it out but was keen to get your thoughts first on your experiences since you have traded it live

Thanks

Alex K Sep 24, 2009 8:46pm | Post# 114

Stochastic POP

The colored bar indicator has been useful. I had been finding people to help me code MTF stochastic for quite some time and i am glad to be able to find it here.

Ok about Spudfyre his method does not short when market is overbought neither does he long when it is oversold. He simply longs when all the 4 time frame stochastic is sloping up and not overbought and short when all the 4 time frame stochastic is sloping down and not oversold.

Easy to understand?
There is a reason why people do not short when it is overbought because market is not rational,what is overbought can be even more overbought,same is true for reverse.

Because i have benefited from the MTF Stochastic bars i will share 1 key thing that will help you all gather your pips.

Google for Jake Berstein Stochastic Pop

Many people have not realized this but i built my system around long when overbought,short when oversold and it has proven to be highly successful.
I will long once the 15min is overbought and exit in 3-4 bars or a profit target of 25-40 depending on how it has built up prior.
But the key thing i wish to bring across is the market is ONLY FULLY CHARGED up most of the time when stochastic is overbought and that is when you will get quick pips with minimum time.(Note ideally the market has been consolidating beforehand before it goes overbought for greater accuracy)

For my stoploss,it is at the previous swing low and trendline and chart pattern are part of my system that helps me in gauging my risk/reward.

One thing i have realized via trading is you cannot afford devastating loss and you must know where to set your stoploss. Many ppl have a hard fixed on their stoploss or they have a % of their capital that they are willing to risk. For me my stop loss is always based on the previous swing low. That could be 30-50 pips so essentially it takes about 2-3 wins to offset 1 loss which is not a problem due to the high hit rate. Trades will always be exited within 3-4 bars of a 15 minute with profit,if by then it cannot be exit at profit i will cut it as well. So it does not necessary means that it needs to break the swing low before i will cut.

Pairs to trade will be the more volatile pairs like Gbp/Usd,Gbp/jpy,Eur/jpy because as the method suggest it's Stochastic POP,if you use a slower pair like aud/usd or eur/usd you will realize that there really isn't any pop to talk about(fast movement within short period of time)

Hence these are the 3 pairs i am currently trading right now.

jflor100 Sep 26, 2009 4:13pm | Post# 115

VHANDS

Have you guys figured out a way to backtest with the MTF Stoch Indicator...the one with the 4 stochs in one window...in VHANDS?

For some reason I cant get it to work for back testing it.

I would really appreciate it....

Alex K Sep 26, 2009 10:51pm | Post# 116

I would think it is impossible to backtest it for the simple fact that as the chart moved up or down,the higher time frame would react accordingly which is the reason why when you insert the indicator in everything looks to be reacting so nicely when you look back to the past.

1 would require a solid trigger requirement so that you will not be taking those whips. For me it is when higher time frame is green and the 15 min is overbought i will take the signal.

rsbgm Sep 27, 2009 6:30am | Post# 117

The colored bar indicator has been useful. I had been finding people to help me code MTF stochastic for quite some time and i am glad to be able to find it here....

Hi Alex,

I like you inputs. I'm going to try it. Hope it works out fine with me.

jflor100 Sep 29, 2009 10:02am | Post# 118

Great System

2 Attachment(s)
Here are just a couple of the many setups from last night that I slept thru...lol

This to me looks like a great system...with the trend, multi time frame...how can we go wrong...steer clear of the news...get in get your pips and get out....this system looks like it provides lots of pips but we dont need them all!!

Wait for the right setups and we will do very well.
Click to Enlarge

Name: mtf1.gif
Size: 14 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: mtf2.gif
Size: 14 KB

rsbgm Sep 30, 2009 3:43am | Post# 119

Here are just a couple of the many setups from last night that I slept thru...lol

This to me looks like a great system...with the trend, multi time frame...how can we go wrong...steer clear of the news...get in get your pips and get out....this system looks like it provides lots of pips but we dont need them all!!

Wait for the right setups and we will do very well.

Hey jflor100,

Can you please attached your MTF stoch indicator using on the above charts? I don't have that in my collection and I like how it shows the diff TF stoch. Hope it's ok to share.

Thanks.

jflor100 Sep 30, 2009 8:46am | Post# 120

Indicators

5 Attachment(s)
I believe these are the ones...I have so many lol....

Please let me know if these arent it...they are here in one of Spuds threads somewhere I just cant remember where I got it...

Play with these...this should be all of them...take care...

PS Are you trading this method?
#MTF Stochastic v2.0.ex4
#MTF Stochastic v2.0.mq4
spud.mtf.stochs.tpl
spuds template.tpl
4mtfstochastic.tpl

© Forex Factory