Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Rookie Talk (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   how to open in US bank account (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=34650)

nashcreator Jun 19, 2007 12:56am | Post# 1

how to open in US bank account

hi all,
I trading from Malaysia with US brokerage firm. Every wire transfer cost me a bit and I'm looking for alternative to open an internet banking account in US without me having to present there. any idea how and which bank?

appreciate

Thanks

dimmi Jun 19, 2007 2:10am | Post# 2

hi all,
I trading from Malaysia with US brokerage firm. Every wire transfer cost me a bit and I'm looking for alternative to open an internet banking account in US without me having to present there. any idea how and which bank?

appreciate

Thanks
I have heard it is fairly difficult.. BUT.. I have heard that etrade.com (online share broker) will open a bank account for you in your name when you open an Etrade account.

There are quite a few 'scams' on the internet that make you pay them to help set up a US Bank Account, and when you pay your $50.00 or whatever it is, they just send you a link to etrade.com.

allserene Jun 19, 2007 11:55am | Post# 3

I have heard it is fairly difficult.. BUT.. I have heard that etrade.com (online share broker) will open a bank account for you in your name when you open an Etrade account.

There are quite a few 'scams' on the internet that make you pay them to help set up a US Bank Account, and when you pay your $50.00 or whatever it is, they just send you a link to etrade.com.
When I emigrated to the US, I had to have a social security number before any bank would open an account for me... perhaps that is just normal banking...

Fumafuma Jun 19, 2007 2:37pm | Post# 4

hi all,
I also use US broker. Japanese banks(for example, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ) cost us approximately 8,000 yen per one wire transfer and we have to go and approach the bank for overseas remittance by 3 p.m. In the past, I used to utilize Go Lloyds Overseas Remittance Service of Lloyds TSB Tokyo branch because the service fee was only 2,000 yen and we can transfer to the credit of domestic banks(even Japanese Internet banking).
But Lloyds Bank Tokyo cannot have a remittance from home and abroad, so I opened an account at the Citibank Japan branch. Now I can remit money overseas on the Internet. (The overseas remittance service fee is 3,500 yen)

semar Jun 19, 2007 3:31pm | Post# 5

From what i know you can only open an account in a country you are resident

PeterFM Jun 19, 2007 6:39pm | Post# 6

Not strictly true....

From what i know you can only open an account in a country you are resident
I'm resident in the UK but own a place in France. I opened a French Bank Account using little more than birth certificate and passport.
The French aren't quite as paranoid as the US at the moment (re money laundering) but it may get harder over the years. For now I just transfer from the UK to France via a leading currency broker, but try and pick the best time for EURGBP X-rate

bl33p Jun 21, 2007 7:57am | Post# 7

Too bad Etrade Bank will not issue a credit card to a non-US resident. Any suggestions for a bank/brokerage account with debit/credit card?

jamesanderson Jun 21, 2007 10:48am | Post# 8

i concur. i think a SSN is a must to open a US bank account. or at least a temporary SSN.

Neznaika Jun 21, 2007 4:19pm | Post# 9

hi all,

appreciate

Thanks
just marry to an american girl... i'll be ur marriage broker, the spread is mine.

kihl Jun 21, 2007 5:00pm | Post# 10

Just google: "atm debit cards"
Anybody can open an US checking account, by only needing a scan of your passport, proof of your residential address and a signed document. They decide if you are eligible for. The fees vary, there are certain loading limits. and exchange rate isn't the best.

allserene Jun 22, 2007 4:18am | Post# 11

Just google: "atm debit cards"
Anybody can open an US checking account, by only needing a scan of your passport, proof of your residential address and a signed document. They decide if you are eligible for. The fees vary, there are certain loading limits. and exchange rate isn't the best.
When I lived in Wisconsin, no bank would open a checking account for me . I tried 3. As soon as I got a Social Security number, it was suddenly 'no problem'
When my American wife came to the UK it was a nightmare trying to get a bank account even though she had a UK 'green card' and a national insurance number and a tax registration document. Much harder than USA.
Eventually she had to piggy back on my account and credit rating at first- that was for a normal checking account with no credit card or overdraft - but they still wanted very stringent credit ratings.
The US is far easier than the UK but a checking account for a non-resident with no SS number ? I would be VERY surprised nowadays.

© Forex Factory