Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   FREE - FX News Alert application (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=310910)

Incrediblle Sep 3, 2011 3:28am | Post# 101

@OP can u please make ur application logo some more attractive? it looks blurred on my desktop.

FiatFap Sep 4, 2011 5:54pm | Post# 102

As a degreed commercial designer, I can tell you that your "mistakes" are in 2 basic areas: You have no design sense, and you are trying too hard at self-promotion

I must admit, the above comment did kick sand in my face and even took some wind from my sails, bit 'tis the interweb and i put the terse intonation down to a language barrier perhaps.

It's difficult as a one-man-show, to be good at design and programming, so if you feel the apps design is below-par, then hopefully the code will make up for it, or if its functionality is shite, then atleast it looks pretty, but you can't please everyone all the time.

ForexHard's prolific input has been invaluable, so i'm grateful for his feedback; the way he says it...well you just need thick skin

FiatFap Sep 4, 2011 6:04pm | Post# 103

Update - alpha ver2.0

* UPDATE *

1. Updated widget - smaller but packs a punch
  2. All sound files now use the media player, so you can change volume
  3. Sharpened logo by removing shadows et al.
  4. Made backgrounds the same on sub-forms, to give continuity.

Widget is modal, which means it stays on top even when you click on something else. This is useful, as you can dock it in metatrader and flick through your charts. You can minimise it to the system tray for complete autonomy.

I released as v2.0 as the widget thingy was quite a lot of work and adds some substantial functionality, so a 2.0 release was apt.

I haven't thoroughly tested it, so please let me know of any bugs or idiosyncrasies.

Widget
http://i.imgur.com/B2qII.png

Again, thanks ForexHard for your design feedback, it's turning into quite a useful app

forexhard Sep 4, 2011 6:09pm | Post# 104

Thick skin. Exactly. This is a traders forum. Thin skin won't take you very far when you willing jump into a pool filled with sharks.

That said, nothing I've said to you was meant to be taken badly. My posts have been full of praise for your idea and your coding skills. It's a shame that once reality hits the compliments are so quickly forgotten.

Appreciate and compound your strengths, and know your weaknesses and limitations. In my case, I can't code worth a damn, but I can trade with the best, and I know good design. If you let me, together we can make this into a really hot item. I know, because I have a feeling about this indi. I like it, and I'd like to see it grow and become something special. But if you'd rather I back away so you can go it alone, just say the word. No hard feelings either way, I promise.

EDIT: oops, looks like we just cross-posted...

FiatFap Sep 4, 2011 6:18pm | Post# 105

Your feedback has been concise and to be honest a pain in the arse because it's meant doing work when i was hoping to sign it off and get on with feeding the sharks.

But your input has really evolved the basic concept and the system tray icon is personification of simplicity and perfection.

I'm not letting you go anywhere, keep bombasting me with suggestions. You have a very good design eye, shame you can't program.

I saw your new indie thread - looks complicated but i only know basic MQL so can't help i'm afraid.

forexhard Sep 4, 2011 7:14pm | Post# 106

Great. We're friends again. (j/k)

Now that your coding skills are improving and the conceptual vision is becoming clear, here is my challenge to you: For the moment, forget that you even have an original template and copy my black/red template as closely as you possibly can. The only specific design elements that the 2 templates will share are your upper taskbar icons, and the icons you are using for the custom wav. upload.

When this part is ready, I have about 5 more basic mods to add in and then it will be ready.

Humor me on this. By this time next week you will be a very happy guy.

Ibuks Sep 5, 2011 4:27am | Post# 107

getting better

Hi,

This is simply cool and getting better.

Is it possible to make it always visible. With the widget idea, is it possible to have an option to have it always visible or not.

Many thanks for this great tool.

PLS Note: I just installed the new update and I noticed my request is already incorporated. Many thanks.

Blud4oilPrgm Sep 5, 2011 4:43pm | Post# 108

Cool

Many thanks for this program, I had been getting my push based news from twitter, but tweets are so gay and annoying when you are trying to focus your thoughts.

I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit no problems.

FiatFap Sep 6, 2011 11:04am | Post# 109

Glad the app works okay on Win 7 (64bit), that's a relief.

forget that you even have an original template and copy my black/red template as closely as you possibly can. The only specific design elements that the 2 templates will share are your upper taskbar icons, and the icons you are using for the custom wav. upload. When this part is ready, I have about 5 more basic mods to add in and then it will be ready.

That's a big rework and will be time consuming. Can you elaborate on the end goal to bolster the brief?

I want to gauge feedback / bugs from v2.0, then have a bash at your request.

Perhaps others using the app can offer their opinion on the current layout and your suggestions.

FiatFap Sep 7, 2011 12:18pm | Post# 110

Added user case scenario in original post..

FiatFap Sep 15, 2011 8:37am | Post# 111

If you want numbers ASAP whilst waiting for websites to refresh, you can watch the financial news channels; here's one i have on in the background.

FiatFap Sep 18, 2011 6:14pm | Post# 112

update - alpha v2.1

* UPDATE *

1. Added snooze button on widget
  2. Widget now displays the highest impact event if there are multiple events at the same time
  3. Fixed volume control bug; volume level now uses last setting

Snooze button
http://i.imgur.com/vUmRK.png

forexzak Oct 5, 2011 5:50am | Post# 113

Thank you so much for such a useful application

FiatFap Oct 5, 2011 9:38am | Post# 114

Thank you so much for such a useful application
Thanks for the thanks, much appreciated; glad you find it useful.

only1kader Oct 5, 2011 10:36am | Post# 115

News trader Attention please!!!

Hi there,

here is a newbie asking for a better news trading strategy!

yes the application is just awesome but need a decent news trading strategy to utilize the alerts!!!

please help me out...

thanks

FiatFap Oct 6, 2011 6:25am | Post# 116

Hi there,
here is a newbie asking for a better news trading strategy!
yes the application is just awesome but need a decent news trading strategy to utilize the alerts!!!
please help me out...
thanks
Great question, but if anyone knew the definitive answer they'd be a zillionaire.

Usually, news is priced in before the event and they use the event to gun for stops.

Best advice, is to exercise extreme caution before a high impact event as swings can be volatile as the order flow goes bat shit crazy.

As i write this, there are three high impact GBP events in 45 mins, so looking @ GBP pairs, you can see they have already bid up the pound thus creating a big mother candle on 4hr, for example. This makes it difficult to know which way flow will push as they try to obfuscate their intent.

Here's GBPCHF for example. Notice they pushed price beyond 1.435 but price closed @ 1.43. On the daily, a spinning top candle is shown. This generally means market indecision, but they have already trapped buy volume at these levels, so I'd hazard a guess that price may run back up to dupe more buy retail volume, before dropping sharply. Overall all though, this pair is in a strong buy trend dynamic with a valid 123 buy pattern on monthly, ie impulse candle off a pinbar with 3rd candle making a higher high to validate flow.

hth

http://i.imgur.com/nTBWE.gif

mo77sen Oct 7, 2011 4:11am | Post# 117

Thank you man, a very nice an useful application

only1kader Oct 7, 2011 11:44am | Post# 118

Great question, but if anyone knew the definitive answer they'd be a zillionaire.

Usually, news is priced in before the event and they use the event to gun for stops.

Best advice, is to exercise extreme caution before a high impact event as swings can be volatile as the order flow goes bat shit crazy.

As i write this, there are three high impact GBP events in 45 mins, so looking @ GBP pairs, you can see they have already bid up the pound thus creating a big mother candle on 4hr, for example. This makes it difficult to know which way flow...

thanks for your kind reply...
actually i did not ask for any holly grail. i just need a decent news trading strategy which must be simple and have average rate of profit.

like i am trying a system. before the news release i put a buy and sell order 12 pips away of current price with 15 pip stop loss and 20 pip take profit.

i know this is silly... but where is the decent one ?

thanks
kader

FiatFap Oct 9, 2011 8:24am | Post# 119

update - alpha v2.2

* UPDATE *

1. Delete any event by right clicking upper event table row, reload events by clicking the refresh icon (top left).
  2. Minor bug fix: Volume control in sound settings now plays at chosen setting when sampling the sound and setting it as alarm.

Pressing the [Delete] button in the middle of the screen just deletes the next event, so this right-click feature adds more options if you want to finesse the events table.

Thanks for the suggestion Manuel

FiatFap Oct 9, 2011 8:33am | Post# 120

thanks for your kind reply...
actually i did not ask for any holly grail. i just need a decent news trading strategy which must be simple and have average rate of profit.

like i am trying a system. before the news release i put a buy and sell order 12 pips away of current price with 15 pip stop loss and 20 pip take profit.

i know this is silly... but where is the decent one ?

thanks
kader
There is no way to have a "decent one", they use events to gun for stops and pick up trade volume.

I use the FX News app to see which pairs have a better setup as news approaches and if there are any footprints for us to follow. The GBP pair played out as expected from my earlier post except they didn't run price back up before the event, however, it sure did drop after announcing QE2,543 for $100 billion zillion of Fiat money.

/waffle

© Forex Factory