Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   FREE - FX News Alert application (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=310910)

FiatFap Aug 28, 2011 7:13am | Post# 41

What is the delete button for ?
You can delete the next event. Let's say there are four events before the NFP, then you can delete these and concentrate on the NFP. You can press [reload] in top left to repopulate the table, if you deleted too many.

How do you add your own sound file ?

I thought about adding this option, but since i was using My.Audio object at the time and it only plays wav files, i decided to negate this option. I could embed a media player, so users can upload their own sound file and it can then play mp3's, vid et al, when the alarm fires up. I've put this in my feature request list.

Enable currency symbols to be deselectable ?

Yep, i'll assimilate the FF filter for next release.

Shabs19 Aug 28, 2011 7:14am | Post# 42

Thanks for the prompt replies.

.Hawk. Aug 28, 2011 8:12am | Post# 43

hi OP

seems very useful app. unfortunately it demands .net framework 3.5 atleast which is to be downloaded now (size 197 mb) as i am running XP SP2.

i wish you would upload a user manual which consists the above FAQ as well on your website, along with system requirements.

many thanks.

regards
.Hawk.

FiatFap Aug 28, 2011 8:30am | Post# 44

hi OP

seems very useful app. unfortunately it demands .net framework 3.5 atleast which is to be downloaded now (size 197 mb) as i am running XP SP2.

i wish you would upload a user manual which consists the above FAQ as well on your website, along with system requirements.

many thanks.

regards
.Hawk.
Strange, i have it configured for the base level .net 2.0; let me look into that as it doesn't require 3.5. I also use XP SP2 and understand why you shouldn't have to install a huge patch for a 3rd party install. I may have overlooked an obscure setting in Visual Studio as i'm more of a designer than a programmer.

I'll work on a user manual once it's past alpha release, thanks for the suggestion.

forexhard Aug 28, 2011 12:31pm | Post# 45

2 Attachment(s)
FiatFap, I was just killing some time today and came up with this skin design. It's not far different from your own design, but it cuts down on some screen clutter by placing the "set once and forget" settings in the lower area, and keeps only the more important functions visible at all times. Some icons are also a bit smaller.

Just my .02 offered to the project.
Click to Enlarge

Name: news1.png
Size: 27 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: news2.png
Size: 12 KB

FiatFap Aug 28, 2011 12:46pm | Post# 46

FiatFap, I was just killing some time today and came up with this skin design. It's not far different from your own design, but it cuts down on some screen clutter by placing the "set once and forget" settings in the lower area, and keeps only the more important functions visible at all times. Some icons are also a bit smaller.

Just my .02 offered to the project.
That's great input, thanks forexhard.

I think even the volatility indies are redundant as the latest release has the LED flash different colours depending on news activity.

I'm wondering if i could add a skin icon to the toolbar, so users can flick between the two formats, but in the long run it means double the maintenance.

Let me finish off the sound settings and currency filter for alpha 1.3 and we'll address the skin issue for a1.4 onwards.

FiatFap Aug 28, 2011 12:54pm | Post# 47

Just wanted to add another news reference site, to give context to the app and the objective i'm trying to accomplish.

It's okay to be presented with data in this format, but when trading you want to concentrate on feeding the sharks with your hard earned cash, so the last thing you want to be doing is remembering when events occur and on what pair, etc.

The app will make it easy to know when shtf for an event you may otherwise forget to check on a news site(s).

jth Aug 28, 2011 4:52pm | Post# 48

Hi FiatFap,
I really like your news alert program especially the different alerts, i haven,t tried it yet but i like what i see.

If i may be so bold there is one request.
could you add a filter that allows you to just see the high news alerts with alerts.
Or just the medium or low news alerts or a combination of 2 news alerts.
Thanks in advance
JTH

jurn_e Aug 29, 2011 8:48am | Post# 49

Mute

is there a function to mute the alarm?

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 9:19am | Post# 50

is there a function to mute the alarm?
You can either delete the event or chose a smaller snooze, so set the button to 1min for example.

I disabled the mute in ver1.2, i'll bring it back for version ver1.3...to be released very soon.

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 9:21am | Post# 51

Hi FiatFap,
I really like your news alert program especially the different alerts, i haven,t tried it yet but i like what i see.

If i may be so bold there is one request.
could you add a filter that allows you to just see the high news alerts with alerts.
Or just the medium or low news alerts or a combination of 2 news alerts.
Thanks in advance
JTH
Next release will have this feature.

jurn_e Aug 29, 2011 10:12am | Post# 52

TQ

Can't wait for v1.3 . Great software. Thanks!
Make this into an ipad/iphone app and sell it : )

Price Aug 29, 2011 4:25pm | Post# 53

This is an awesome tool. Thank you for your efforts here.

I agree with the mute button. It would be better than deleting the event. So the mute button would just stop the ringing, correct ?? That way there would be nothing to reset a few minutes later.

Again, Thanks for the software !!

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 4:41pm | Post# 54

This is an awesome tool. Thank you for your efforts here.

I agree with the mute button. It would be better than deleting the event. So the mute button would just stop the ringing, correct ?? That way there would be nothing to reset a few minutes later.

Again, Thanks for the software !!
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the mute just stops the ringing but the alarm is still going on behind the scenes.

I'll add both mute and delete in the same space on the form, so the user can decide their preference.

Been working on the filter for a few days now and it's bloody doing my head in...almost tamed the beast though.

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 5:51pm | Post# 55

Update - alpha ver1.3

* UPDATE *

1. Updated filter
  2. Allow user to add their own alarm sound
  3. Allow users to delete and/or mute event

Caveat
Probably opened up a big can of worms by i) allowing audio input and ii) allowing the user to change the alarm configuration. Although, I'm more interested to see if it installs and works okay as it references windows media player.

If you notice the alarm doesn't fire up and change the events table when it should, then the alarm is set too long. You could set it to 200secs (3.30mins) for example and then chose your favourite song and it should be okay to play between events.

The filter was a right pain so i expect bugs but the code seems quit robust to cope with anomalies. It's difficult to test this week as there's only one event that's 'non-economic', that's today's bank holiday in UK.

Let me know of any bugs and here's the latest screenshots:

Sounds:
http://i.imgur.com/gPKP1.png

Filter:
http://i.imgur.com/tTo4g.png

Ibuks Aug 29, 2011 6:09pm | Post# 56

very nice tool

Thanks so much for this simple but very effective tool.

Is it possible to have the oucome of the news displayed as well??

This will make it even better especially for the data releases.

cheers.

ibuks

* UPDATE *

1. Updated filter
  2. Allow user to add their own alarm sound
  3. Allow users to delete and/or mute event

Caveat
Probably opened up a big can of worms by i) allowing audio input and ii) allowing the user to change the alarm configuration. Although, I'm more interested to see if it installs and works okay as it references windows media player.

If you notice the alarm doesn't fire up and change the events table when it should, then the alarm is set too long. You could set it to 200secs (3.30mins) for example...

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 6:21pm | Post# 57

Is it possible to have the oucome of the news displayed as well??
Not easy, I'd have to screen scrape a news site and there's usually server loads around high impact events, so it means a lot of effort for little gain.

I'd then have to dynamically populate the table on the fly, so even more effort. So the answer to your question is no, purely because of the effort it would take.

It's handy to have the 'Forex News Sites' open in tandem with the app and then hit refresh when your alarm goes off

Addendum:
Thinking about it, i could add a latency object that sniffs a site 5mins after the alarm was triggered and then populate the events table the next time the user does something to refresh the contents. Again, it sounds like too much effort.

forexhard Aug 29, 2011 6:31pm | Post# 58

5 stars

Windows 7. Loaded fine. Love all the new features. Hopefully the volume control will keep me in my seat this time!

FiatFap Aug 29, 2011 6:38pm | Post# 59

Windows 7. Loaded fine. Love all the new features. Hopefully the volume control will keep me in my seat this time!
Thanks Forexhard, that's the kind of feedback i need to know.

Can other people let me know if it works on their system; I say this as I'm wary of using the media player as it opens up more possibilities of bugs and incompatibility.

Price Aug 29, 2011 8:16pm | Post# 60

It's handy to have the 'Forex News Sites' open in tandem with the app and then hit refresh when your alarm goes off
I would agree here, it seems to me that the alarm is the useful and necessary component. I can't see a need to add economic results to it. That's what FF is for.

The shark sound works fine for me. (default #2) Adding our own wave files would be handy, but not if it causes problems and/or excess cpu demands.

I mentioned earlier that I thought mute would be better than delete.... now in rethinking it, delete seems just as well. I can see the complete list below in the expanded view.

In short, awesome software.... my suggestion here would be to keep the additional bells and whistles at a level where the benefit justifies the complexity. (Just my humble opinion from the other side of the world)

© Forex Factory