Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Trading Discussion (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Auction Market Theory and Market Profile (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=277528)

tgwhbb Feb 1, 2011 9:53am | Post# 81

So here is the really cool thing. This concept comes from Enthios.com. Because we know that the POCs act like a magnet for price, we expect that price will trade to these POCs, especially one's that have yet to be re-touched.

I'm sure we can work on some great ideas on how to use this. For me the basic idea is to re-enforce what type of trades to be taking. For last night, it was only long trades-at least until price hit yesterday's POC........
Along those lines, on my daily chart i have a virgin monthly POC from October at 1.3940 (unfortunately my indy does not show the value area on the daily chart). Probably a longer term play, but one would expect price to go there given the current uptrend. I'm also reading that level is apparently also the 200-day SMA for what that is worth. Now the questions is does EU retrace first or not. I thought on Friday the retrace was starting to at least the weekly POC at 3460, but it now looks like i got caught on that one

Excellent stuff HG, and the enthios site seems like another excellent resource to study!

Thanks!

frankkn Feb 1, 2011 9:54am | Post# 82

1 Attachment(s)
The blue line is when I arrived on the sceen.

I was tempted to take a trade off of this bounce but I was looking for a lower price.
Click to Enlarge

Name: n1aa.jpg
Size: 44 KB

tgwhbb Feb 1, 2011 10:08am | Post# 83

The blue line is when I arrived on the sceen.

I was tempted to take a trade off of this bounce but I was looking for a lower price.
i took it and got stopped out for +16 on the break of the ND on the M5. Now looking to buy at 3700-3690 (yesterday's virgin POC) if the VSA setup is there.

tgwhbb Feb 1, 2011 10:16am | Post# 84

1 Attachment(s)
i took it and got stopped out for +16 on the break of the ND on the M5. Now looking to buy at 3700-3690 (yesterday's virgin POC) if the VSA setup is there.
hmmm maybe today's developing POC is enough to hold EU...selling climax, followed by stopping volume. If this bar closes up we may not reach yesterday's POC...waiting and watching for a test in the 3735 area.
Click to Enlarge

Name: EU M5 2011-02-01 at 10.13.17 AM.png
Size: 72 KB

frankkn Feb 1, 2011 10:22am | Post# 85

Glad to hear it man.

My MP histogram on MT4 is set to begin with Tokyo open. At the moment today's POC is at 1.37192 and above last week's POCs. What do you guys have for yours?

tgwhbb Feb 1, 2011 10:24am | Post# 86

Glad to hear it man.

My MP histogram on MT4 is set to begin with Tokyo open. At the moment today's POC is at 1.37192 and above last week's POCs. What do you guys have for yours?
i have 1.37195 using the start of the day GMT

tgwhbb Feb 1, 2011 4:20pm | Post# 87

Along those lines, on my daily chart i have a virgin monthly POC from October at 1.3940 (unfortunately my indy does not show the value area on the daily chart)....
hmm, 3940 not so far off now... Today's POC looks like it will stay at 3720 as per previous posts. Today's profile distribution looks a lot like last Friday's (inverse of course), and since EU will very likely close near the 3830 area, the theory states it should go back to the naked pivot, so we could be in for a down more tomorrow/next days to get there. Thoughts?

As a side note, most days the POC is established during the Asian session, i find that very interesting as it is generally the lowest liquidity session, yet holds so much weight! And many disregard (or pay less attention to) what happens in the Asian session...seems like a mistake to not give that session its fair due.

HiddenGap Feb 1, 2011 8:46pm | Post# 88

1 Attachment(s)
hmm, 3940 not so far off now... Today's POC looks like it will stay at 3720 as per previous posts. Today's profile distribution looks a lot like last Friday's (inverse of course), and since EU will very likely close near the 3830 area, the theory states it should go back to the naked pivot, so we could be in for a down more tomorrow/next days to get there. Thoughts?....
I'm still learning here so forgive me as I have to amend my previous post. I guess we can't just consider the closest Virgin POC above us in an Up Trend.

We know that the market has memory. And what is foremost in its memory? What it did yesterday. Thus, we would have to include yesterday's Virgin POC as part of the Natural Trading Range. But we are in an UP trend as the POCs are still rising. So a move down would be considered counter trend.

Again, my data does not go back far enough to see the Virgin POCs above but they are there. I believe 1.39 something was mentioned.
Click to Enlarge

Name: current3.png
Size: 37 KB

foxybunny Feb 1, 2011 10:54pm | Post# 89

HG,

Thanks for sharing some dank nugs of info.

Now, the range idea you've put forth (be it Jardine or NTR); is that open to POC (above/below), or from POC above to POC below?

And yes sir I do agree that something truly excellent will come from practicing and theorizing this stuff.

I just finished an assignment and emailed it in just before the midnight deadline. I had forgotten about it until I noticed that I had written it down on the back of my hand.

It is very hard to keep my opinions to myself in this particular...
Reminder your class is "investing in securities" and not "trading with VSA/AMT".

For getting good grades, just go according to the text book taught by your prof, note that even the prof might not agree on the text book and may not tell you that. Text book basically gives you a good foundation and general understanding. Trading of course is different.

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 7:12am | Post# 90

Reminder your class is "investing in securities" and not "trading with VSA/AMT".

For getting good grades, just go according to the text book taught by your prof, note that even the prof might not agree on the text book and may not tell you that. Text book basically gives you a good foundation and general understanding. Trading of course is different.
Excellent point. Even though the class is about investing, prof still talks shit about price and volume. Just gotta smile and nod.

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 7:19am | Post# 91

1 Attachment(s)
Called off work as I'm not driving on this ice nonsense.

There's been a crazy ice storm in the midwestern US. School was canceled yesterday because of all the ice. Last night power went out and my lady and I went out back to listen to the ice falling and we witnessed 4 explosions that lit up the sky (transformers or somethning exploding due to branches/trees falling down). There are trees in the street. Couldn't even order a pizza because my street's inaccessible.

Back to EU; 15 stopping volume into unfair lows followed by an adorable shakeout/test. I'd like to see no selling pressure before placing an order but if today's like yesterday I'll just watch all day and not get a good entry.
Click to Enlarge

Name: f2aa.jpg
Size: 98 KB

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 7:41am | Post# 92

1 Attachment(s)
Today's POC is starting to develop above yesterday's.

Right now we're paused at a small balance area. I've marked a level below that I'm watching. I'm curious to see how price reacts with these areas (valleys in TPO). In the past there have been nice bounces at these.
Click to Enlarge

Name: f2bb.jpg
Size: 37 KB

alexm Feb 2, 2011 9:38am | Post# 93

Using Virgin POC trade idea by Michael Jardine
http://ensign.editme.com/virginpoc

Since we are told price is attracted to the Virgin POC. with VSA entry is placing a sell stop below the 1hr chart ND up bar, and wait for it to hit the POC.

HiddenGap Feb 2, 2011 12:37pm | Post# 94

.... I'm curious to see how price reacts with these areas (valleys in TPO). In the past there have been nice bounces at these.

http://www.traderkingdom.com/market-...lanced-markets

toob Feb 2, 2011 1:11pm | Post# 95

Hi! Nice thread! Subscribed!

I have a question...

Do you also take the present day TPO in consideration?

Thanks

Regards

HiddenGap Feb 2, 2011 3:55pm | Post# 96

2 Attachment(s)
..Do you also take the present day TPO in consideration?..
Yes you should. Check out the chart below.

DPOCv= Developing (present day's) Point of Control by volume.

DVAH= Developing(present day's ) Value Area High.

DVAL= Developing (present day's) Value Area Low.

EDIT: Just added a current picture to show current data and yesterday's
Click to Enlarge

Name: Dual 4.png
Size: 35 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Dual 5.png
Size: 30 KB

btr5596 Feb 2, 2011 4:56pm | Post# 97

Great work here, thanks to Frankkn for posting his charts! Can anyone recommend a vendor for the Price Volume Histogram POC data/charts? The cheapest I have come across is Ensign, and thinking about signing up. I tried Market Delta a few months ago and wasn't thrilled with it.

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 5:29pm | Post# 98

Yes you should. Check out the chart below.

DPOCv= Developing (present day's) Point of Control by volume.

DVAH= Developing(present day's ) Value Area High.

DVAL= Developing (present day's) Value Area Low.

EDIT: Just added a current picture to show current data and yesterday's
Great stuff.

I currently don't look at VAs because I don't have a good histogram indicator that has them. Are there any that are accurate (MT4)?

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 5:29pm | Post# 99

Great work here, thanks to Frankkn for posting his charts! Can anyone recommend a vendor for the Price Volume Histogram POC data/charts? The cheapest I have come across is Ensign, and thinking about signing up. I tried Market Delta a few months ago and wasn't thrilled with it.
ThinkorSwim has some good ones but they don't give you POC or the VAs. I have a decent histogram indi for MT4 and it only draws POC.

frankkn Feb 2, 2011 5:31pm | Post# 100

1 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think, will we retest this balance area?
Click to Enlarge

Name: f2i.jpg
Size: 130 KB

© Forex Factory