Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Interactive Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   vsa with Malcolm (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=241760)

pres78 Jan 17, 2011 12:27pm | Post# 9941

First I want to say that you need to trust yourself. You really have a better grasp of things than you think.

I have posted my chart for the same time and things look a bit different. That is not a bad thing.

On your chart we see the Shake Out. This is going to be are trigger bar. As previously stated, the trigger level can be the close, the high or the low of this bar. I usually start out by assuming it will be the close, but ultimately, the market will dictate which level is key.

The very next bar is a bit tricky. On your chart it looks...
There is just so much to learn in VSA that I still find myself doubting what I see on my charts. It is nice to hear that I am at least on the right path... I thought that I would actually start posting the occasional set-up and get feed back from the guys who have been doing these trades consistantly well for a long time. I really appreciate your feedback and inturn your chart. By the way what are the Pt1, Pt2 etc... that you mark on your charts?

Also I completly missed that trigger level even when it was starring me right in the face...

What type of charts and volume do you use? Do you trade with a broker? Place your trades on the same software that you use to chart or seperately. I really want to make VSA a big part of my trading and would like to feel that my volume is somewhat reliable for trading this style.

Thanks again.

KinsaleForex Jan 17, 2011 12:28pm | Post# 9942

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone pelase post an H1 chart of GBP/JPY with eSignal vol. I wanna compare it with IBFX volume.
Ok, i'm remote logged from work, took a screen shot, bitmap was too large so had to re-save as a jpg so it's a bit grainy but you get the gist!

Gimme a mac any day
Click to Enlarge

Name: gbpjpy.JPG
Size: 84 KB

kave Jan 17, 2011 1:12pm | Post# 9943

1 Attachment(s)
We may have a trap-up-move here on GU. UT on the high of Dec2010. a test on this Dec2010 high on no demand or later on prelim supply area would be nice...(my volume info is wrack...apologies..)

Attachment 618889
I got my test on the Dec2010 high resistance level....hope every one saw that too..

Click to Enlarge

Name: ScreenHunter_33 Jan. 18 02.10.gif
Size: 25 KB

HiddenGap Jan 17, 2011 1:17pm | Post# 9944

...What type of charts and volume do you use? Do you trade with a broker? Place your trades on the same software that you use to chart or seperately. I really want to make VSA a big part of my trading and would like to feel that my volume is somewhat reliable for trading this style...
To tell you the truth, I have been struggling with this issue a bit lately. Currently my broker is MBT and I use forex data provided free from FXCM on Ensign Windows Software. There is a discrepancy in the prices and I would like the prices displayed to be the same as broker's prices.

I could switch to FXCM as a broker, but I don't know if I trust them. In fact there are sooooo many issues with forex brokers in general that I am thinking of getting a futures broker instead. I am thinking of opening an account with Infinity to trade the 6E and or the ES. Infinity is the broker that Gavin uses.

Gavin recently said that he trades both the spot and the futures. However, when pressed, he said he prefers the futures because of the "issues" surrounding spot brokers.

If you are going to trade the spot, I think that Esignal with the GTIS feed is the best source for your data. This is a business and the data is not the place to "skimp". So if I don't go the futures route, I am likely to go with Esingal and deal with the price differences. Of course, that still would leave me looking for a broker. Any ideas out there?

mima Jan 17, 2011 1:29pm | Post# 9945

...Of course, that still would leave me looking for a broker. Any ideas out there?
http://www.pfgbest.com/bdesignal/

gez40 Jan 17, 2011 1:29pm | Post# 9946

1 Attachment(s)
First I want to say that you need to trust yourself. You really have a better grasp of things than you think.

I have posted my chart for the same time and things look a bit different. That is not a bad thing.

On your chart we see the Shake Out. This is going to be are trigger bar. As previously stated, the trigger level can be the close, the high or the low of this bar. I usually start out by assuming it will be the close, but ultimately, the market will dictate which level is key.

The very next bar is a bit tricky. On your chart it looks...
HG, i thought a test needs to be in the high vol area to see if supply is still there, is that not a bit high on your chart?

Legal and General, ftse100
Click to Enlarge

Name: LG.gif
Size: 50 KB

Intel Jan 17, 2011 1:31pm | Post# 9947

To tell you the truth, I have been struggling with this issue a bit lately. Currently my broker is MBT and I use forex data provided free from FXCM on Ensign Windows Software. There is a discrepancy in the prices and I would like the prices displayed to be the same as broker's prices.

I could switch to FXCM as a broker, but I don't know if I trust them. In fact there are sooooo many issues with forex brokers in general that I am thinking of getting a futures broker instead. I am thinking of opening an account with Infinity to trade the 6E and...
....Ruff, Tuff and in the Buff

pres78 Jan 17, 2011 1:32pm | Post# 9948

Is this the broker you use Mima? With Esignal feed also... that sounds like a good mix.

ozzieb88 Jan 17, 2011 1:42pm | Post# 9949

HG, i thought a test needs to be in the high vol area to see if supply is still there, is that not a bit high on your chart?

Legal and General, ftse100
that last test would have been a great entry!!

Im looking more at stocks for longer term portfolio and Legal and General are one on my books.

HiddenGap Jan 17, 2011 1:53pm | Post# 9950

1 Attachment(s)
HG, i thought a test needs to be in the high vol area to see if supply is still there, is that not a bit high on your chart?..
First we need to recognize that the market is almost always testing.

You are correct that the ideal place to see a test is in or around the area of previously high volume bar/candle. But there are also tests in a rising market. These don't necessarily have to be within areas of high volume. The test on that chart is such a test.

Professionals know that supply is resistance to higher prices. Before they push prices higher, therefore they need to know if there is any supply out there. A test is designed to ferret out any sellers (supply).

Notice that there is a reaction high to the left. Before an attempt is made to push prices thru this level, they check for sellers and find none. Of course some are still there but notice the wide spread up bar/candle thru the reaction high. This is absorption volume. They tested first looking for sellers and did not find many. Then they said, "okay, if there is some supply still lurking out there we are prepared to absorb the supply as we know prices are going higher".
Click to Enlarge

Name: Current2.png
Size: 128 KB

pres78 Jan 17, 2011 2:02pm | Post# 9951

1 Attachment(s)
First we need to recognize that the market is almost always testing.

You are correct that the ideal place to see a test is in or around the area of previously high volume bar/candle. But there are also tests in a rising market. These don't necessarily have to be within areas of high volume. The test on that chart is such a test.

Professionals know that supply is resistance to higher prices. Before they push prices higher, therefore they need to know if there is any supply out there. A test is designed to ferret out any sellers (supply).

Notice...
HG,

Can we also look at that test in this way... it comes down and tests the high of the highest volume down bar after the shake out bar and since it closes above it on lower volume followed by and upbar making it a successful test and a new trigger level of sorts???
Name:  Current2.png
Views: 681
Size:  224 KB

mima Jan 17, 2011 2:04pm | Post# 9952

Is this the broker you use Mima? With Esignal feed also... that sounds like a good mix.
No. It is on demand esignal...can trade directly from esignal.

pres78 Jan 17, 2011 2:08pm | Post# 9953

No. It is on demand esignal...can trade directly from esignal.
Oh OK...

Plata Jan 17, 2011 2:09pm | Post# 9954

Varengold Wertpapierhandelsbank

1 Attachment(s)
Hello there!
Could someone please take a look at the 5 min chart of this broker. I like the spikes in their volumes. Is this good? To me it looks good in hindsight! They have a 200:1 leverage and 1 pip spread EU during London and NY session. What I don't like is that it's a 4 digits broker which makes trading appear a bit slow! Here's the chart:
Click to Enlarge

Name: eu.jpg
Size: 85 KB

HiddenGap Jan 17, 2011 2:10pm | Post# 9955

HG,

Can we also look at that test in this way... it comes down and tests the high of the highest volume down bar after the shake out bar and since closes above it on lower volume followed by and upbar making it a successful test and a new trigger level of sorts???
Sure, although the volume is not high enough to be considerd a bar where we would look for a trigger level.

But remember the point here: The market is almost always testing. Regardless of if there is high volume in the area or not. Tests are "Probes" lower to bring out the sellers. Even if the volume in the area is low, the BBs like to see if the sellers are lying in wait.

pres78 Jan 17, 2011 2:16pm | Post# 9956

Sure, although the volume is not high enough to be considerd a bar where we would look for a trigger level.

But remember the point here: The market is almost always testing. Regardless of if there is high volume in the area or not. Tests are "Probes" lower to bring out the sellers. Even if the volume in the area is low, the BBs like to see if the sellers are lying in wait.
Right I see that now with respect to the volume... It just seemed like price respected it so nicely.

sony Jan 17, 2011 2:32pm | Post# 9957

Trigger No

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthre...41760&page=660

Hello

Please if you find time HG to check this for me

I sant a chart and there are some questions also

Thanks in advance

All the best

malcolmb14 Jan 17, 2011 3:12pm | Post# 9958

yikes !!!!

possible exit price at 3275....

sitting at correlating 50% fib and H1 trigger level
always be aware of your weekly s/r levels 1.3280 is one in eu ... you sold a few pips above that , i was epxecting a little shake out under that level as per weekend post ..1.3250 , entry had 10 pip dd .. not bad for a guess ...lol

tobinare Jan 17, 2011 3:19pm | Post# 9959

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody interested in a VSA indicator for MT4? I banged this out this weekend to help visualize some of the potential setups. It's not complete and should considered to be a work in progress. It does not handle all the VSA setups and I wouldn't trade off of it without your own confirmation. The indicator plots alot of unconfirmed signals such as NoD and NoS, so if you use it - wait for confirmation!

The indicator plots...

1. Buying Climax - Red
  2. Selling Climax - Green
  3. No Demand Bars - Magenta
  4. No Supply Bars - Blue
  5. Up/Down Thrusts - Yellow

I used the logic described in the volume indicators at emini-watch.com as a template and then revised and added my own logic based on my understanding of VSA.

If you like the indicator and are interested in revisions and improvements or you think it's junk let me know. Suggestions or corrections are also welcome. I don't want to clutter this thread with a bunch of MT stuff so pm me if you'de like. Also if the OP objects to the nature of this post let me know and I will discontinue.

t
Click to Enlarge

Name: pm_vsa_1.gif
Size: 25 KB
pm_VSA_1.mq4

hutrader Jan 17, 2011 3:38pm | Post# 9960

Anybody interested in a VSA indicator for MT4? I banged this out this weekend to help visualize some of the potential setups. It's not complete and should considered to be a work in progress. It does not handle all the VSA setups and I wouldn't trade off of it without your own confirmation. The indicator plots alot of unconfirmed signals such as NoD and NoS, so if you use it - wait for confirmation!

The indicator plots...[list][*]Buying Climax - Red[*]Selling Climax - Green[*]No Demand Bars - Magenta[*]No Supply Bars - Blue[*]Up/Down...
Thanks

© Forex Factory