Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Interactive Trading (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   vsa with Malcolm (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=241760)

attique08 Apr 4, 2020 7:41am | Post# 32901

3 Attachment(s)
bearish engulfing on 4 with increased volume gave more confidence to stay in trade which was taken right below the high volume upthrust on M15 with weak background assessment on H1 chart.
EDIT:
i took another short position in US session after observing another high volume upthrust at M15 with SL just above its high. this time instead of setting a target S3 if I had really considered at that time, i just set it as breakeven and let it run and went to sleep. price retraced 60 pips and i was stopped out.
Click to Enlarge

Name: GBPUSDH1.png
Size: 79 KB
entry
Click to Enlarge

Name: GBPUSDM15.png
Size: 57 KB
second trade was right below the first upthrust in US session in which i was stopped out because i didn't set a target - greed probably. expecting market to further go down
Click to Enlarge

Name: GBPUSDM152.png
Size: 69 KB

1odi Apr 4, 2020 2:30pm | Post# 32902

1 Attachment(s)
my only trade on friday since we had NFP, at 13 i closed it, textbook, high vol on the previous day came in as weakness, i was just hopin for the pullback to get in.simple and easy to duplicate.
cheers
Click to Enlarge

Name: aussie dollar short.png
Size: 82 KB

HiddenGap Apr 4, 2020 2:36pm | Post# 32903

1 Attachment(s)
bearish engulfing on 4 with increased volume gave more confidence to stay in trade which was taken right below the high volume upthrust on M15 with weak background assessment on H1 chart. EDIT: i took another short position in US session after observing another high volume upthrust at M15 with SL just above its high. this time instead of setting a target S3 if I had really considered at that time, i just set it as breakeven and let it run and went to sleep. price retraced 60 pips and i was stopped out. {image} entry {image} second trade was right...
I don't really want to follow such a brilliant post, so this is just a chart dump. (the take away here is how a failed sign of strength (Test) in a downtrend bespeaks of Market weakness and serves as a valid Short entry signal)

Click to Enlarge

Name: VSA 3.png
Size: 123 KB

1odi Apr 4, 2020 2:51pm | Post# 32904

greed probably. expecting market to further go down {image}
i strongly dizagree antique if i may.. what i found over time is that for me, that s the best way to maximize ur upside, take some profit and set breakeven. not all the trades are gonna be homerun but when u do hit few of those, u can accelerate the growth of ur account exponentially. u can also trail if u r around, i tend to do that with the 14 ema. so no, imo ur not greedy, just this time didn t pan out but.. when it does..

1odi Apr 4, 2020 3:09pm | Post# 32905

1 Attachment(s)
another trade i was eyeing on friday but didn t pan out, maybe next week. from my experience so far, fake breaks are 1 of the most reliable setups, and also first fib retracement after major weakness or strenght (my own conclusion but not something i invented, i picked up from vsa traders and tested).
stay green. cheers
Click to Enlarge

Name: possible short scenario.png
Size: 88 KB

attique08 Apr 5, 2020 3:15am | Post# 32906

{quote} I don't really want to follow such a brilliant post, so this is just a chart dump. (the take away here is how a failed sign of strength (Test) in a downtrend bespeaks of Market weakness and serves as a valid Short entry signal) {image}
thank you for encouragement, HiddenGap.
Sharing has done wonders for me and it is learning itself. thank you for your analysis.

my only trade on friday since we had NFP, at 13 i closed it, textbook, high vol on the previous day came in as weakness, i was just hopin for the pullback to get in.simple and easy to duplicate. cheers {image}
nice and clean. we are learning from you as well. keep it coming, please.

{quote} u can also trail if u r around, i tend to do that with the 14 ema
i remember somewhere malcolm has also mentioned something like this. to stay in trend until hull moving average changes it color. and interestingly if you look at H1 chart of GBPUSD trade HMA changed its color after hitting S3. i just observed it too. of course it will take time and patience which i still lack. thank you for your perspective. i appreciate it.

1odi Apr 5, 2020 5:15am | Post# 32907

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} to stay in trend until hull moving average changes it color. and interestingly if you look at H1 chart of GBPUSD trade HMA changed its color after hitting S3. i just observed it too. of course it will take time and patience which i still lack. thank you for your perspective. i appreciate it.
trail or if major strenght comes while i m short i ll wait for that to be confirmed first cos often times it just continues, if not i ll get out and look to buy(if the strenght will be confirmed on 1hr). for me most important is to take some profit and set BE, that way it s a risk free trade and takes the edge off. i m trying to keep it as simple as possible in a way that makes sence to me and it s easy to duplicate(cos that gives me consistent results, good or bad.
take GU for example, daily chart. forget that this is a daily chart and instead think of it as a 1hr chart, would u still look to short?
curious about ur take here as i m still bullish on GU, EU etc.. for me to get a trend change i d need climactic vol but something that stands out over the recent range(like we see on the daily). also for a trend continuation i d need to see some nice volume in those fib areas, cos if the vol is low, often times it will just continue and the pullback is a bust. so if this was an 1 hr chart, i d look for the pullback to the AR(automatic rally) which in this case is also the fib from low to high) on low vol(test) or some nice vol rejection to confirm that the buyers are there. if it closes below that on low vol then i d consider the longs off the table..just how i see things
Click to Enlarge

Name: GU daily chart.png
Size: 48 KB

IRISH37 Apr 5, 2020 5:37am | Post# 32908

{quote} I don't really want to follow such a brilliant post, so this is just a chart dump. (the take away here is how a failed sign of strength (Test) in a downtrend bespeaks of Market weakness and serves as a valid Short entry signal) {image}
What are these bands HG? Looks very interesting to me.

HiddenGap Apr 5, 2020 1:00pm | Post# 32909

1 Attachment(s)
{quote} What are these bands HG? Looks very interesting to me.
Hello IRISH37.

They're not magic, but I really like them. They can be used in two main ways:

(1) As an Area Of Interest- the places on the chart where one would want to see entry signals appearing. For example, one might require at least one tick of the signal price rotation interval (aka candle) to occur on or within the "bands". See Chart.

(2) As Definition of Trend-A downtrend can be defined as price being below both the "Fast and Slow" averages. It can further be defined by the "Fast" average being below the "Slow" average. And vice versa for an uptrend.

At this point, I have not said anything new. But what sets them apart is their construction. The "Fast" average is an EMA of the Value Areas of the last 20 price rotations (candles). This gives you a high and a low and thus creates a "band". The "Slow" average is an EMA of the Value Areas of the last 50 price rotations (candles). These are sometimes referred to as Volume Cluster Averages.

Click to Enlarge

Name: VSA 4.png
Size: 141 KB

P.S. For those who like using VWAP, the VWAP for the same periods typically falls within the respective Average.

thisara1 Apr 5, 2020 1:11pm | Post# 32910

{quote} Hello IRISH37. They're not magic, but I really like them. They can be used in two main ways: (1) As an Area Of Interest- the places on the chart where one would want to see entry signals appearing. For example, one might require at least one tick of the signal price rotation interval (aka candle) to occur on or within the "bands". See Chart. (2) As Definition of Trend-A downtrend can be defined as price being below both the "Fast and Slow" averages. It can further be defined by the "Fast" average being below the "Slow" average. And vice...
what;s you main trading chart HG 2M?

Rmg Apr 5, 2020 1:15pm | Post# 32911

{quote} Hello IRISH37. They're not magic, but I really like them. They can be used in two main ways: (1) As an Area Of Interest- the places on the chart where one would want to see entry signals appearing. For example, one might require at least one tick of the signal price rotation interval (aka candle) to occur on or within the "bands". See Chart. (2) As Definition of Trend-A downtrend can be defined as price being below both the "Fast and Slow" averages. It can further be defined by the "Fast" average being below the "Slow" average. And vice...
Nice looking chart HG, is it sierra?

HiddenGap Apr 5, 2020 1:44pm | Post# 32912

{quote} Nice looking chart HG, is it sierra?
Yes.

1odi Apr 7, 2020 11:35am | Post# 32913

2 Attachment(s)
howdy
2 trades for 2day, long on gold vs euro and gold vs dollar, targetting the highs or previous resist.
my reasoning> signs of accumulation with the wide spread down bar, vol increased bull reaction, and now again wide spread high vol of the day with a bull reaction to confirm strenght into fib, 50 ema, trendline. i entered on 5m , the vol matched as in high vol of the lowest point and the bull reaction, AR break, retest.
more or less same on gold vs dollar. let s see how it pans out.
i ve attached the 5m chart also, i ussually enter on the break of the AR on low vol, and add on the low vol test, but since the candle that broke the AR had a bit of vol increase considering recent range, i waited for the low vol test that so often does. entered right after the NO SUPLY at AR confirmed with a close above plus spread ofc.
cheers
PS: goldeuro closed at BE, while on gold dollar got stopped out by 100 pip spike...... no words
Click to Enlarge

Name: gold vs euro.png
Size: 50 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: gold euro 5m chart.png
Size: 51 KB

1odi Apr 8, 2020 7:43am | Post# 32914

2 Attachment(s)
trade of the day, reasoning on the chart, 5m entry
Click to Enlarge

Name: usdcad folow up.png
Size: 49 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: usdcad 1hr chart.png
Size: 58 KB

attique08 Apr 8, 2020 9:08am | Post# 32915

1 Attachment(s)
trade of the day, reasoning on the chart, 5m entry {image} {image}
i was also short today after looking at H1 upthrust at london open. but i entered a little bit late with tight SL (above today's pivot point) around the same level you are in. but i am stopped out (daily pivot is tested and market is coming down again). but my AU trade is still running (1.5R already) as it has not backed off to fib zone yet. i was in that trade after observing stopping volume in fib zone of H1. though i entered with highest volume of the day pushing close in middle of the downbar in fib zone, a test right after its confirmation gave more confidence to hold it.
Click to Enlarge

Name: AUDUSDH1.png
Size: 100 KB

1odi Apr 8, 2020 9:45am | Post# 32916

1 Attachment(s)
nice @attique, i m still in UC short. nice trade. as long as u don t see some high vol of the higher prices and ur floating up on low vol i d stay in. i threw away all indicators lol, no more emas, pivots and the likes, just vol and price.(and i ll leave the ND,NS indie just cos of the habbit and estetics). what i ve noticed along the years is that after stopping vol usually price does a test, after that test i tend to get into the trade, specially on 1hr. (and exactly like on ur chart). some traders enter with a buy stop above the high of the NS in ur case, i tend to go in at candle close or last minutes, just to see if price can sustain there, and doesn t get squashed down.
been stalking this pair for a possible short, but the volume on the break right as i m writting is quite high in comparison to recent range, so hopefully a retest on low vol will seal the deal. had the vol been low i d just enter right there cos i m considering that level as AR
it s a NO GO, it turnd on a SOS from both 15m and 1hr point of view
Click to Enlarge

Name: usdsgd possible short.png
Size: 45 KB

attique08 Apr 8, 2020 10:04am | Post# 32917

nice @attique, i m still in UC short. nice trade. as long as u don t see some high vol of the higher prices and ur floating up on low vol i d stay in. i threw away all indicators lol, no more emas, pivots and the likes, just vol and price.(and i ll leave the ND,NS indie just cos of the habbit and estetics). what i ve noticed along the years is that after stopping vol usually price does a test, after that test i tend to get into the trade, specially on 1hr. (and exactly like on ur chart). some traders enter with a buy stop above the high of the NS...
@1odi thank you for idea and suggestion. you are right. price and vol are good enough most of the time. emas pivots are just to complement things. NS ND indicator is good one. i have learnt through this thread that not every upbar closing in middle with low volume is ND and same stands for downbar as NS. background matters the most. if background is weak, market is turning around then we should consider upbars with low volume as ND and vice versa in case of strength. i also use the same indicator available in this thread. it repaints. someone asked me a few weeks ago about if it repaints. i told him that repainting doesn't bother me. all i need know through that indicator is the bars with low volume. that's the only objective. there would be up and downbars with low volume but i'll consider those which are necessary to be considered based on background as mentioned above. VSA volume indicator in chart makes it very easy to identify the low volume (magenta color clearly stands out with dark background)
right now i am observing the high volume upthrust in AUDUSD while testing previous swing at H1. i have moved my SL to secure 1R and it's still open because i want to to see if next bar closes down. else, i'll stay in.

thisara1 Apr 8, 2020 10:04am | Post# 32918

{quote} i was also short today after looking at H1 upthrust at london open. but i entered a little bit late with tight SL (above today's pivot point) around the same level you are in. but i am stopped out (daily pivot is tested and market is coming down again). but my AU trade is still running (1.5R already) as it has not backed off to fib zone yet. i was in that trade after observing stopping volume in fib zone of H1. though i entered with highest volume of the day pushing close in middle of the downbar in fib zone, a test right after its confirmation...

very useful

1odi Apr 8, 2020 10:22am | Post# 32919

1 Attachment(s)
yep, u have increased vol of the highest point which is also 1hr resist. i d trail like u did below the last hourly candle, cs sometimes might just continue. overall the 1hr chart counts more then the 5m. price is very heratic these days with corona and all. september, october and november last year were perfect from a vsa standpoint in what concernes me. good luck
Click to Enlarge

Name: AUDUSD weakness.png
Size: 42 KB

1odi Apr 9, 2020 4:29am | Post# 32920

orning all, no setups from a vsa stand point... and busy market in terms of news 3/4 hrs from now on CAD and USD. it was nice with the volatility at the beggining of corona but now it s crap..

© Forex Factory