Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Simone Guy's 'Simple and Consistent Fibonacci Method' (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=239947)

SteveHopwood Jun 11, 2010 8:02pm | Post# 181

Steve

I know you are not a fan of backtesting but I have run simone on GU since the beginning of the year (current version that is). The results aren't great but I noticed that she is only trading short despite the settings allowing trade long and short. I know the previous versions traded some long but then the fibs weren't redrawing etc so their backtests are no good. Perhaps you could look into this. I have attached my strategy report.

Paul
Hehe. You have been testing GU since Jan of this year and expect long trades? Hell and Handbasket come to mind here.

Joking apart, have you been using the Rsi trend filter?

I do not think there is a problem here. Up until last Friday, Simone was taking long and short trades. Difficulties with various aspects of coding logic have prevented her taking many trades this week; those she has taken have been in the correct direction given my setup and the limitations of the coding logic probs.

paulbt38 Jun 12, 2010 5:33am | Post# 182

1 Attachment(s)
Steve

The previous versions I have been using were placing longs as well as shorts. I have turned the RSI filter off. Overnight I ran a backtest on GU from Jan 2009. By this morning it had got to the end of October 2009 and still only traded short. Again the RSI filter was turned off. I have attached my stategy report. There definately appears to be something wrong with current version. Either that or I have made a simple mistake which is so obvious I can't see it. My settings are in the strategy report.

Paul
simone gu0109-1009.zip

SteveHopwood Jun 12, 2010 8:34am | Post# 183

Steve

The previous versions I have been using were placing longs as well as shorts. I have turned the RSI filter off. Overnight I ran a backtest on GU from Jan 2009. By this morning it had got to the end of October 2009 and still only traded short. Again the RSI filter was turned off. I have attached my stategy report. There definately appears to be something wrong with current version. Either that or I have made a simple mistake which is so obvious I can't see it. My settings are in the strategy report.

Paul
"Oh for crying out loud," I bellow with pent up rage and frustration, "why do people constantly nag me when there is clearly nothing wrong?"

Comes the reply, "Because we know there is something wrong and it is the only way to get you to shift your arse and do something about it."

The fix is in post 1. My mistake was a simple one but it took some finding. Code blocks go inside those infernal curly braces. The line of code that should have read if (!CandleBreak) {TradeAllowed = false; return;} actually read if (!CandleBreak) return; {TradeAllowed = false; return;} which meant that the final return always operated and the long trades did not happen.

Nice piece of nagging Paul.

grandehombre Jun 12, 2010 9:09am | Post# 184

This is probably my one and only chance to re-iterate that all code following the start of a block statement should be inside curly brackets.
(Steve, I've already had a lengthy post on some of this on one of your programming forums and thought this was a good chance to repeat some of it here. It might save some of the forum users a bit of grief, should they start changing code...)

For example, it is quite legal to say
Inserted Code
if (doodis)
   doodat = false;

However, if some inexperienced user comes along and wants to add code, he will probably do

Inserted Code
if (doodis)
   doodat = false;
   andDatOne2 = false;

which is clearly logically wrong, though visually it looks ok

My 'safe' approach to this is to always
Inserted Code
     if (doodis)
     {
         doodat = false;
         andDatOne2 = false;
     }

Notice that I also indent in a more 'visual' way. There are 2 schools of indenting
Inserted Code
     if (doodis)
     {
         doodat = false;
         andDatOne2 = false;
     }

and

Inserted Code
     if (doodis) {
         doodat = false;
         andDatOne2 = false;
     }

Ignoring the screams of 50% of the C/C++ developers who will object to this, I would strongly urge you to use the 1st kind of indenting.

Indenting correctly makes if easy to spot the code that is part of a block.
Indenting using method #1 makes it easy to spot both the opening and the closing curly braces in one.

There are far too many MQ4 files around, indicators and EAs that use absolutely attrocious indenting, if at all.
Believe me, it is a real female-dog (suddenly, I forgot how to say this in Englsh - gasp!) to work on such code.

I know MT examples use the other method but then again, nobody said they were perfect

Cheers,
Nick

The fix is in post 1. My mistake was a simple one but it took some finding. Code blocks go inside those infernal curly braces. The line of code that should have read if (!CandleBreak) {TradeAllowed = false; return;} actually read if (!CandleBreak) return; {TradeAllowed = false; return;} which meant that the final return always operated and the long trades did not happen.

SteveHopwood Jun 12, 2010 9:59am | Post# 185

I left an alert in the fix that I was using to track down my blunder. This doesn't matter so much in backtesting but will drive users nuts on Monday.

Fixed in post 1.

KingHigh Jun 12, 2010 12:04pm | Post# 186

Request From KH

Steve,

Low Priority - When you do not need the //KH Mod .....etc comments in the source, please delete them. They clutter the code and serve little purpose at this point.

Thanks,

KingHigh

paulbt38 Jun 12, 2010 12:12pm | Post# 187

Thanks Steve, I have been taking lessons in nagging from my wife

I have loaded the fix up and will continue testing although spreads aren't good at weekends

Paul

stevefx Jun 12, 2010 1:31pm | Post# 188

Thanks Steve and all the other mighty contributors for your great work, humble newbie with EA's here just subscribing, hope to keep learning from you guys.

grandehombre Jun 13, 2010 7:21am | Post# 189

Simone learns about GMT and local timezones - world comes to an end!

3 Attachment(s)
(edit: 7:39am, 14jun, AUS time
Removed all code files. Replaced with just one: simone stuff.mqh
This is in response to reported crashes; the whole thing has now been implemented inside simone stuff.mqh.
Download simone.mq4 from msg #1
)

Before proceeding, read this!
======================================
If for any reason you feel uncomfortable or unsure about the following instructions, please do not install this version.
You'll probably end up being stressed out or upset with the replies you will get when you start asking for help. I am sorry, I want to help but I don't want this forum to get flooded with questions that are not related to trading strategy implementations and are instead about how MT4 works.

So, here are the instructions:
1) Copy Simone.mq4 to your experts directory
2) Copy Simone stuff.mqh to your expertsinclude directory
3) Compile Simone.mq4.
4) Restart MetaTrader.
5) Attach Simone to your chart and ensure she is configured as shown in attached image.
6) Enjoy a fine cup of coffee while Simone does her thing, earning pips!

If you still have issues, PM me first, before flooding this forum. I am a patient, friendly, helpful chap (cough cough)...uhm, most of the time...[/indent]
==================================================

So, after all that, here is what this version does (via the changes made only to the mqh file. The main file (simone.mq4) is not changed!).
- It calculates the GMT trading hours for the current pair by first examining the first 3 letters of the pair's name. They determine what
the 'morning' trading hours are.
It then examines the last 3 letters of the pair and determines what the 'evening' hours are. Overlaps are ok.

So for EURUSD it comes up with:
start_hourm, end_hourm= 6-14
start_houre, end_houre = 12-20

for GBPJPY it comes up with:
start_hourm, end_hourm= 6-14
start_houre, end_houre = 23-31 (i.e. 11pm GMT - 7am GMT next day)

Since we don't all live in GMT , the code is configured to return local times, so for the above example, in the UK, you will get the following
EURUSD
start_hourm, end_hourm= 7-15
start_houre, end_houre = 13-21

for GBPJPY it comes up with:
start_hourm, end_hourm= 7-15
start_houre, end_houre = 24-32 (i.e. midnight London - 8am London next day)

In order to calculate local times, it uses the new parameter that is introduced via simone stuff.mqh, called TRS_gmt_shift. This represents the diff in minutes of your timezone to GMT.
So, UK currently is 60, AUS is 600

NOTE:
The only difference between Steve's version of Simone (in post #1) and this, is that I have added the following line
Inserted Code
ScreenMessage = StringConcatenate(ScreenMessage,Gap, timeRelated_test(), NL);
in the DisplayUserFeedback() function, so it gives you some info on what it knows, as far as GMT, time diffs etc.

Let me know if what it reports is incorrect!

The attached image shows you what forex zones are open when in GMT times
Click to Enlarge

Name: Image 1.png
Size: 25 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: Image 2.png
Size: 8 KB
simone stuff.mqh

MrChips Jun 13, 2010 10:40am | Post# 190

Error Compiling Simone.mq4

When I try to compile the EA I get the following error message:

'timeRelated_test' - function is not defined Crogram FilesMIG Bank Trading StationexpertsSimone.mq4 (271, 60)

I have the time related & simone stuff in the expert/include folder.
Not sure what to do with the Nick Stuff, please advise.

Also, I can't attach it to any charts of 3 different brokers.

Thanks in advance.

vinesh Jun 13, 2010 10:50am | Post# 191

Same here

When I try to compile the EA I get the following error message:

'timeRelated_test' - function is not defined Crogram FilesMIG Bank Trading StationexpertsSimone.mq4 (271, 60)

I have the time related & simone stuff in the expert/include folder.
Not sure what to do with the Nick Stuff, please advise.

Also, I can't attach it to any charts of 3 different brokers.

Thanks in advance.
I get the same error. also mq4 file shows up grey in color.

grandehombre Jun 13, 2010 11:43am | Post# 192

Oops!

It had to happen sooner or later!
I made a mistake (I think in the UK they'd call it a right royal bollocks)!
Hard to believe, I know!

(heh heh, got to laugh at myself sometimes)

I had attached the wrong file, specifically, I had not attached the new simone stuff.mqh.

All fixed now, please go to my msg again

KingHigh Jun 13, 2010 3:05pm | Post# 193

Intraday/Breech fib at Daily StartUp

Looks like the Intraday fib is not being reinitialized on the day change.

The Breech Fib does not hold the high or low of the day and constantly resizes the end points when it should hold either the high or low and change based on previous lower or higher fractals and the realized trend.

Pat,

As of now, with an initial run on EUM15, it tends to buys highs and sell lows with htf rsi period 60 as well as 15.
As I recall, the Mon/Wk/Daily have a forced redraw for each new bar. The Intraday and Breech are managed by trading hours and chart activity. As trading hours startup, there will be a delay time before trading can commence with new/updated fib levels derived from fractal swhi/swlo events.

KighHigh

MrChips Jun 13, 2010 4:38pm | Post# 194

Crash

I replaced all the files as you posted. I compiled Simone.mq4 with know errors. Now every time I open the platform - it crashes. This is happening on 3 different brokers.

Is anyone else having the problem? Does anyone have a suggestion? Is the original Simone on Post #1 working? I may have to go back to that for now.

Thanks for any help

paulbt38 Jun 13, 2010 4:40pm | Post# 195

1 Attachment(s)
I am getting the following errors when backtesting. Not sure whether its just a backtest prob or will it show in live trading.
Click to Enlarge

Name: screenshot.JPG
Size: 213 KB

grant18265 Jun 13, 2010 4:43pm | Post# 196

I replaced all the files as you posted. I compiled Simone.mq4 with know errors. Now every time I open the platform - it crashes. This is happening on 3 different brokers.

Is anyone else having the problem? Does anyone have a suggestion? Is the original Simone on Post #1 working? I may have to go back to that for now.

Thanks for any help
i have the same problem on one of my Alpari demos, but it worked on another. Only thing i can see is that the simone stuff files are named slightly different

simone_stuff and Simone stuff

that shouldnt cause MT4 to crash though should it?
cheers

Grant

grandehombre Jun 13, 2010 5:54pm | Post# 197

Simone learns about GMT ... world REALLY does come to an end!

I don't know what could possibly cause MT4 to crash but, in order to minimise the possible causes for it, I have
- removed the debug API calls to win32
- removed the 2nd include file and incorporated all the code in simone stuff.mqh

My most recent msg has been updated to include only the new version of simone stuff.mqh.
All the other files are in Steve's msg# 1.

by the way, the correct filename is simone stuff.mqh (with a space, as shown, and not an underscore). This is exactly how it is meant to be spelt. It is what simone.mq4 uses.

If this does not work either, I will have to remove it and nuke it.
It works for me on MT4 build 226 and I can't see what could possibly make MT crash for others. Lets see how it goes.

Remember, if in doubt, or if you don't like this version or it does not work, please use the files from msg#1, as it is the only 'release' version of the Simone system.

Lets keep this thread focused on shaping Simone into a pip-making super-babe!

hndymann Jun 13, 2010 6:48pm | Post# 198

Forex Factory Downloads

I have a guess at why some people have problems with MT4... Whenever I download a file with a space in it, I have to rename it because the download creates a %20 instead of a space. For example I get simone%20stuff.mqh Nick and Steve, it might be a good idea to minimize the space in file names and use an underscore or capital letters to emphasize names. Just my small 2 cents of input but it may be a problem for others as well.

Luke

azjeff Jun 13, 2010 6:56pm | Post# 199

Also, to add to what hndymann mentioned I download the items using the attachment icon in the top right hand corner of this thread.
When I do that it saves it exactly how it was originally posted. At least that works for me as far as the file name goes.

Regards,
Jeff

I have a guess at why some people have problems with MT4... Whenever I download a file with a space in it, I have to rename it because the download creates a %20 instead of a space. For example I get simone%20stuff.mqh Nick and Steve, it might be a good idea to minimize the space in file names and use an underscore or capital letters to emphasize names. Just my small 2 cents of input but it may be a problem for others as well.

Luke

desmodeus Jun 13, 2010 9:25pm | Post# 200

GMT offset question

Hey GrandeHombre,

I have a question about the TRS_gmt_shift GMT offset in minutes: my VPS is in NY city, which is -4 hrs from GMT... should I set TRS_gmt_shift to -240 min? or + 1200 min? + 1200 would imply that NY is in the next day relative to GMT, and this is not correct. But I don't know whether your code will correctly handle negative offsets.

-desmodeus

© Forex Factory