Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Recent SR indicator (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=204276)

plugeventos Dec 1, 2010 4:14pm | Post# 101

suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
Hanover, and other suggestions put trend lines. and when the trend lines is broken they should not appear in the graph, will stay that way.
Click to Enlarge

Name: trend line.jpg
Size: 226 KB

hanover Dec 4, 2010 2:43am | Post# 102

hello, first forgive me for my english, I think all your work perfect, I wonder any chance you can put a date and time specified in parameter "historicalshift" instead of putting number of bars

I look back. thanks
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Sorry, I'm not considering any more updates to this indicator, at least in the meantime. Too busy with other work.

David

tdeu Jan 5, 2011 2:58pm | Post# 103

up/down and down/up twins

1 Attachment(s)
Hi David,

Thanks for your awesome work.

If you're considering an update would you please take care for up/down and down/up twins. E.g. like two M5 candles give the wick of a M15 candle.

With "VisibilityLevel= 1,1" they are not detected but are a swing high/low.

Often they have the same low or less than a pip difference which makes using M1 no workaround.

Cheers

Thomas
Click to Enlarge

Name: m5.gif
Size: 19 KB

hanover Jan 6, 2011 4:23pm | Post# 104

1 Attachment(s)
Hi David,

Thanks for your awesome work.

If you're considering an update would you please take care for up/down and down/up twins. E.g. like two M5 candles give the wick of a M15 candle.

With "VisibilityLevel= 1,1" they are not detected but are a swing high/low.

Often they have the same low or less than a pip difference which makes using M1 no workaround.

Cheers

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Sorry, I don't understand. In your screenshot, the dark candle in the center of your purple circle has a lower low than both candles either side of it, hence it should qualify, given the following settings:

TimeFrame = M5
VisibilityLevel = 1,1
ClearancePips = 0
FrequencyLevels = 1
CandleLowsValid = true

Does this help?

Happy New Year to you,
David

[EDIT]
I checked the code. Consecutive candles with equal lows qualify as VisibilityLevel 1,1 provided that ClearancePips = 0. In other words, the test is that a candle qualifies if its low is less than or equal to the lows on the candles on its right and left.

The arrowed candles in my screenshot have exactly the same low (both are 0.75648). With the parameters shown, they qualify as a S/R zone, as demonstrated by the red box plotted by the SR indy in the screenshot.
Click to Enlarge

Name: tdeu1.jpg
Size: 118 KB

aquaart Apr 19, 2011 7:30am | Post# 105

Indicators by Hanover:
Recent Strength...
Thank you Hanover for your indicators...

As stated previously I use many instances of this indicator on the charts (22 per chart to be precise to colour code my S/R).

However when the objects are placed on the chart they come with a name like "RecentSR-0050672-83". Is it possible to put the trader identified "TimeFrame" that the S/R was formed from into the objects description instead (as opposed to object name) so that it would read something like "RecentSR-W1" even when trading the M5 charts?

My reason is,
Its just that I often find that some of my lower TimeFrame S/R will over lap the higher TimeFrame S/R and changes the colours of the S/R objects that I am looking at. From there as you can probably appreciate, when intraday trading, being able to quickly identify the importance of the S/R affects trading decisions.

That way a trader who has "Show object descriptions" selected in their 'Common' tab of their "Properties" for a chart, can just look to the left hand of their chart and see the description, or the left hand of the object if it started within recent times.

The idea is simple but given the complexity of the Recent SR indicator implmentation may be whole different story.

However, I really do appreciate your generosity with this indicator in the first place.

Thank you....

I only double posted cause FF had temporary problem that made my original post not show....

hanover Apr 19, 2011 6:42pm | Post# 106

However when the objects are placed on the chart they come with a name like "RecentSR-0050672-83". Is it possible to put the trader identified "TimeFrame" that the S/R was formed from into the objects description instead (as opposed to object name) so that it would read something like "RecentSR-W1" even when trading the M5 charts?
Aq,

Just to double check that I understand correctly, the object name is OK the way it is (note: MT4 requires that each object must have a unique name, although I guess that's obvious ), but you'd like the object description to include the timeframe, something like "RecentSR-W1"?

If so, that's a 5 minute job. Please confirm that I understand correctly, and I'll proceed.

Another plus is that the enhancement is not likely to make any other users unhappy, because if they don't want to see the timeframe text, they can simply turn object descriptions off.

BTW, I'm a S/R 'junkie' myself.

Thanks,
David

aquaart Apr 19, 2011 7:53pm | Post# 107

Hi David,

Aq,

Just to double check that I understand correctly, the object name is OK the way it is (note: MT4 requires that each object must have a unique name, although I guess that's obvious ), but you'd like the object description to include the timeframe, something like "RecentSR-W1"?
Yes, that's exactly right.

Another plus is that the enhancement is not likely to make any other users unhappy, because if they don't want to see the timeframe text, they can simply turn object descriptions off.

BTW, I'm a S/R 'junkie' myself.

Thanks,
David
Or maybe you could make it a true false option, so that other traders can still turn Recent SR object descriptions off (separately to every other object description in the chart) in case a trader wants to see object descriptions not related to RecentSR rectangle objects. Does not affect me but might affect others.

S/R junkie is right, I don't really think there is any other way. Especially dynamic S/R as opposed to static S/R (like pivot points).

Cheers and thanks a lot for the quick reply...
Josh

hanover Apr 19, 2011 9:46pm | Post# 108

Version 1.03 can now be downloaded.......

Or maybe you could make it a true false option, so that other traders can still turn Recent SR object descriptions off (separately to every other object description in the chart) in case a trader wants to see object descriptions not related to RecentSR rectangle objects. Does not affect me but might affect others.
Version 1.03 can now be downloaded from post #1. It included a new parameter: DescriptionMask.

@aquaart: DescriptionMask allows differentiation of multiple instances of the indy by typing in anything you like; essentially, whatever is typed will wrap around the (optional) instance#. The Word doc explains this in detail (see 'New parameters in v 1.03' section). The display of the TF is not automatic, but the way I've done it makes it completely open-ended to type anything you wish.

For example, you could set DescriptionMask = 'RecentSR'B'-H4' to have RecentSR-H4 display

Or you could type 'SR'B'-H4-confluent' to have SR-H4-confluent display for one instance of the indy, and type 'SR'B'-H4-recent' to have SR-H4-recent display for another instance. See the Word doc for a more detailed explanation.

I assume that you're using parameter files, so that this will be a one-time-only setup task.

David

aquaart Apr 19, 2011 10:51pm | Post# 109

Version 1.03 can now be downloaded from post #1. It included a new parameter: DescriptionMask.

@aquaart: DescriptionMask allows differentiation of multiple instances of the indy by typing in anything you like; essentially, whatever is typed will wrap around the (optional) instance#. The Word doc explains this in detail (see 'New parameters in v 1.03' section). The display of the TF is not automatic, but the way I've done it makes it completely open-ended to type anything you wish.

For example, you could set DescriptionMask...
Hi David,

Thank you very much again, let me be the first to download and say thank you for this update.... Such a simple thing makes the trading job of S/R junkie like mysef a lot easier.

Many pips to you,
Josh

aquaart Apr 20, 2011 12:35pm | Post# 110

Hi David,

I run Vista Professional 6.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 6002) (64 bit) and MT4 build 226. The most recent RecentSR is causing my MT4 to crash, however the previous version did not.

The exception that occurred was C0000005... Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks
Josh

hanover Apr 20, 2011 6:25pm | Post# 111

Hi David,

I run Vista Professional 6.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 6002) (64 bit) and MT4 build 226. The most recent RecentSR is causing my MT4 to crash, however the previous version did not.

The exception that occurred was C0000005... Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks
Josh
Hi Josh,

I haven't had a problem, but then I run Win XP, hence I can't test the indy using Vista.

The change that I made is negligible - shouldn't affect anything.

At what point is it crashing, e.g. immediately you attach the indy to the chart; or if you refresh the chart; or change the parameter file; or switch timeframes; or ....... ??

A possible cause is (if I understand correctly) that Vista won't let you write data to any folders under Program Files, unless you're the system admin. But I don't know if this would cause a C0000005 exception. You could perhaps try signing on as the administrator and/or reinstalling MT4 somewhere other than in a folder that's beneath Program Files.

Alas, I can't reproduce the problem here. Sorry I can't be of more help.

David

[EDIT]
I've done some research for you.
Read this. Suggests that it might be a registry error, and offers some repair utilities (should be safe enough, but use at your own risk!). The links at the bottom of that page might also be helpful.

Also did a Google of "Vista c0000005" and found these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(there are plenty more if you want to perform a similar Google)

Summarizing, these seem to suggest either a RAM (memory) fault, a permissions error (attempting to address unauthorized RAM), or a driver error (conflict with Vista).

--- I guess you've tried rebooting?
--- What other software (especially drivers) have you loaded recently?
--- Also, when the c0000005 diagnostic screen appears, what is the Application Name: ............ entry? If it's not terminal.exe, then it's some app other than MT4 that's causing the crash.

All of this seems to suggest that it could be a much deeper problem than MT4 or the indy.

aquaart Apr 20, 2011 9:50pm | Post# 112

The point it is crashing, is immediately when I attach the indy to the chart and it is the conflict between terminal.exe and vista that is causing the crash.

But I have not looked into running MT4 as the administrator or moving MT4 to a non Program Files area and trying the same there. As I have not loaded any new drivers

Failing the above I will look more deeply into the error via the links you happily provided... Thanks for the info and thanks for the help...

Josh

P.S Vista has always been a dysfunctional Operating System, it often fails to allow things to operate ...

All of this seems to suggest that it could be a much deeper problem than MT4 or the indy.

aquaart Apr 21, 2011 12:10am | Post# 113

The point it is crashing, is immediately when I attach the indy to the chart and it is the conflict between terminal.exe and vista that is causing the crash.

But I have not looked into running MT4 as the administrator or moving MT4 to a non Program Files area and trying the same there. As I have not loaded any new drivers

Failing the above I will look more deeply into the error via the links you happily provided... Thanks for the info and thanks for the help...

Josh

P.S Vista has always been a dysfunctional Operating System, it often fails...
No problems with the indicator.... Installed a new copy of MT4 and am running it as the administrator... and the indicator works very well, and as per usual when there are any glitches it was MT4 or the OS fault.

I now only have to look to the left on the screen to determine the importance of the S/R instead of highlighting the object and looking for the objects details.

Thanks for updating the indicator especially for me, you almost make me want to be a Kiwi. Nah who am I kidding...

All the best,
Josh

hanover Apr 21, 2011 1:52am | Post# 114

No problems with the indicator.... Installed a new copy of MT4 and am running it as the administrator... and the indicator works very well, and as per usual when there are any glitches it was MT4 or the OS fault.

I now only have to look to the left on the screen to determine the importance of the S/R instead of highlighting the object and looking for the objects details.

Thanks for updating the indicator especially for me, you almost make me want to be a Kiwi. Nah who am I kidding...

All the best,
Josh...
Josh,

Great! Glad to hear that all is OK now.

I have Aussie ancestry on my mother's side - a foot in both camps, so to speak. LOL.

David

aquaart Apr 28, 2011 12:13pm | Post# 115

I think that this might be a tall ask and a lot of programming

Hi David,

The indicator 're-paints' in the sense that as new S/R points are encountered, these (depending on your parameter settings) may not be created until all of your stipulated criteria have been met. Thus a currently displayed band that appears to have originated in the past might not have been displayed at that historical point.
This I believe may be due to the idea that if the 1st part of the "VisibilityLevel" is satisfied then the S/R rectangle is created. However the rectangle is later deleted if the 2nd part of the "VisibilityLevel" is not satisfied.
For some of my SR levels this works in my favour.

However for other SR levels it would be better for both parts of the VisibilityLevel to be satisfied before RecentSR drew the SR.

Is it possible to give the option that both sides of the VisibilityLevel must be satisfied before RecentSR draws the rectangles?

Since this indicator is unlikely to be used for generating entry signals, this should not be an issue.
Because for some but not all of my SRs, I like to place market orders as the quotes hit them... It is my entry signal...

Thanks
Josh

PS I am just trying to fine tune my SR, however, I think that this might be a tall ask / a lot of programming... If it is, just take this as a thank you for the indicator you have freely given so far.

tdeu Apr 28, 2011 5:26pm | Post# 116

modification request

@ Josh
- give yourself modify and write permissions for the MT4 directory and everything is fine without running as admin
- look into the virtual store and copy the files back to MT4 directory (if there are any)
- see also here
Inserted Video

@ dave
would it be possible to have the ability to show the SR levels only on user defined time frames - like don't show M15 SR on the daily TF
I'm using one template for multiple TFs

Cheers

Thomas

hanover Apr 29, 2011 12:21am | Post# 117

Version 1.04 is now available.......

Version 1.04 may be downloaded from post #1.

It addresses the requests made in posts #115 and #116.

aquaart Apr 29, 2011 10:53am | Post# 118

@ Thomas,

Thanks for that, people have mentioned this in the past (7bit), however, never really realised what was happening until that video, thank you...

@ David

I cannot understand how you understand programming so easily to produce such great indicators and enhancements to these indicators so quickly...

Thank you once again...
Josh

noeasyforex May 5, 2011 5:35am | Post# 119

Someone can tell me

When I expand/reduce the vertical scale of the chart, some of the SR lines appear and other disappear. Is there a way to avoid this problem? Am I doing something wrong with the settings?
I think this is a very useful indicator and I would like to use it without this problem because, currently, I spend a lot of time trying to show all the SR.
Thank you

hanover May 5, 2011 8:54am | Post# 120

When I expand/reduce the vertical scale of the chart, some of the SR lines appear and other disappear. Is there a way to avoid this problem? Am I doing something wrong with the settings?
I think this is a very useful indicator and I would like to use it without this problem because, currently, I spend a lot of time trying to show all the SR.
Thank you
Noeasyforex,

I'm pretty sure that this because the levels are plotted as rectangles instead of lines, and for some reason MT4 doesn't seem to scale rectangles correctly.

I chose rectangles to give users the option of choosing a wide bandwidth. However, I'll include a "lines" option in the next release, which I hope will fix this problem.

David

© Forex Factory