Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Recent Strength indicator (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=163158)

environ Nov 27, 2014 5:19pm | Post# 621

Is it possible to write EA based in this indicator?

hanover Nov 27, 2014 11:50pm | Post# 622

Is it possible to write EA based in this indicator?
Yes. Steve Hopwood added the RS concept to several of his EAs (see here).

If (as a programmer) you're looking to integrate RS into your own EA, there's more info in the links here. However, the code will probably need to be modified to make it compatible with MT4 build 600 onward.

I’m no longer accepting any programming or troubleshooting requests. If you have a strategy that you'd like coded, you could try posting your request in one of the "I code your indicators for free" threads. Hopefully a programmer, who's more familiar with the latest MT4 builds than I am, will be able to help you.

kasrafx Nov 29, 2014 4:55am | Post# 623

Hi hanover, I'd like to know if the currency meter indicator which is shown in this post (http://www.forexfactory.com/showthre...16#post7890116) is coded by you or you have any information about it . The user in that post reffered me to you when i asked information about it.
Thanks in advance and more green pips to you

hanover Nov 29, 2014 10:42am | Post# 624

Hi hanover, I'd like to know if the currency meter indicator which is shown in this post (http://www.forexfactory.com/showthre...16#post7890116) is coded by you or you have any information about it . The user in that post reffered me to you when i asked information about it. Thanks in advance and more green pips to you
No, sorry, I have never seen it before.

noiko jones Dec 4, 2014 3:10pm | Post# 625

Hi Hanover,
Many thanks first of all for your hard work providing us with great indicators, of which i have enjoyed a few. I was wondering if you would be able or willing to create one around volume, which will only print the net volume, in other words: it would substract 1 value every time the bid is hit and add 1 value every time the ask is hit, showing the total value. That way it would be able to tell within a giving candle, who was strongest, the buyers or the sellers.
I hope i make sense
Thanks

hanover Dec 4, 2014 8:26pm | Post# 626

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Hanover, Many thanks first of all for your hard work providing us with great indicators, of which i have enjoyed a few. I was wondering if you would be able or willing to create one around volume, which will only print the net volume, in other words: it would substract 1 value every time the bid is hit and add 1 value every time the ask is hit, showing the total value. That way it would be able to tell within a giving candle, who was strongest, the buyers or the sellers. I hope i make sense Thanks
I’m no longer accepting any programming or troubleshooting requests.

However, I found the attached indicators in my archives, which do something very similar to what you're asking (by plotting counts of upticks and downticks). They ran OK in earlier builds, you could try them in build 600 onward.

If they don't meet your requirement, you could try posting your request in one of the "I code your indicators for free" threads. Hopefully a programmer, who's more familiar with the latest MT4 builds than I am, will be able to help you.

[EDIT] I assume that you understand that (1) all MT4 volume is tick volume, i.e. whether you trade 0.01 lots or 100 lots, it will merely show as 1 volume unit transacted, and (2) that since FX is not a centralized exchange, volume numbers pertain to transactions accepted by your br0ker only.
Waddah_Attar_BUY_SELL_Vol_v2.ex4
Waddah_Attar_BUY_SELL_Vol.ex4

noiko jones Dec 5, 2014 4:29am | Post# 627

thank so much, and thanks too for the clarification about volume
all the best

KFxstrat Dec 14, 2014 11:05am | Post# 628

i have some issue loading the indicator, despite saving into the experts\indicators folder. anyone can advise?

hanover Dec 14, 2014 3:56pm | Post# 629

1 Attachment(s)
i have some issue loading the indicator, despite saving into the experts\indicators folder. anyone can advise?
MT4's folder system changed with the release of build 600. Here are some videos that may help you:
Inserted Video

Inserted Video

http://www.compassfx.com/video/ip/21814/21814.html

It's also possible that the indicators don't run, due to your MT4 or computer setup somehow being different to mine (mine is shown in the screenshot below).

Also, it takes quite a lot of work to get the RS indy set up correctly. There are notes and links in post #1 that may help, otherwise you might prefer to find a different strength indicator. There are links in the green text in post #1 to several other indicators.
Click to Enlarge

Name: My computer, Windows, MT4 setup.png
Size: 160 KB

bobzahra Dec 29, 2014 3:52am | Post# 630

Hi Hanover,

Just my curiosity, what do you prefer RS or ROS? Have you compare between the two?
I love you ROS indie, it give me a consistent result, and i do it in my real account. Thank you for your great job

All the best
Babzahra

hanover Jan 1, 2015 1:14pm | Post# 631

Hi Hanover, Just my curiosity, what do you prefer RS or ROS? Have you compare between the two? I love you ROS indie, it give me a consistent result, and i do it in my real account. Thank you for your great job All the best Babzahra
Hi,

RS is based on candle closes (effectively a 1-period MA); ROS is based on stochastic. Hence RS would logically support a momentum based trading system; whereas if you're looking to fade overbought/oversold, then I'd go with ROS.

Glad that you find ROS to be helpful.

Best wishes for 2015.

Bye all,
David

nchatzoglou Jan 17, 2015 5:02am | Post# 632

{quote} Hi, RS is based on candle closes (effectively a 1-period MA); ROS is based on stochastic. Hence RS would logically support a momentum based trading system; whereas if you're looking to fade overbought/oversold, then I'd go with ROS. Glad that you find ROS to be helpful. Best wishes for 2015. Bye all, David
Hi Hanover I also found great your indicators RSI and ROS. I mostly use ROS who gives me the most accurate signals. What I wand to ask you is if there is a way of showing only the current timeframe- what ever timeframe I m using (no multiple timeframes in the same pair chart). Furthermore I want to ask you if you incorporated to the ROS a RSI calculation.

Thank you for your great work

hanover Jan 18, 2015 10:07pm | Post# 633

What I wand to ask you is if there is a way of showing only the current timeframe
TimeFrames - select the timeframes you wish to see, separated by commas. If displaying only one timeframe, a trailing comma is not required. Leaving this parameter blank defaults to the timeframe of the chart to which the indicator is attached. The spaces are optional, and are included merely for clarity. Upper/lowercase may be used interchangeably (e.g. H1 or h1). Time frames will display in the left-to-right order in which you type them. See note below on computer performance

Furthermore I want to ask you if you incorporated to the ROS a RSI calculation.
ROS simply averages out the Stochastic values for every pair referenced by a currency, and plots this average.
I have no plans to include RSI. Since MT4 build 600, I'm no longer considering any coding or troubleshooting requests.

Thank you for your great work
Many thanks for your kind words.
I will disappear back into hibernation now.
I'm trying to stay away from trading forums.

hanover Apr 10, 2015 4:07pm | Post# 634

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure if anyone is still using the RS indy, but the attached screenshots illustrate how bad data can affect the plots, which was a contentious discussion topic earlier in the thread.

Note how the M5 and M15 plots are virtually identical, but there are problems with the M1 feed on AxiTrader's demo server, causing significant corruption.

The indy has worked fine for me since 2009, but like all other software, it is forced to use whatever data is available.
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 152.png
Size: 78 KB
Click to Enlarge

Name: PPI 151.png
Size: 74 KB

belief May 24, 2015 9:37pm | Post# 635

{quote} The attached version allows NZD. In fact, you can now add any pairs (that are supplied by your broker) to the list in the CurrencyPairs parameter, up to a maximum of 99 pairs. For example, to include NZDUSD and NZDJPY, add ,NU,NJ to the list. The permitted abbreviations are the same as for the Recent Strength indy (see post #1). Each pair must be separated by a comma. The more pairs you add to the list, the more comprehensive the result will be. If you want to give a pair double, triple weight etc to the displayed strength, include it in...
Is Currency Strength - Giraia.mq4 still working? cause i tried but the numbers are not changing.

hanover May 27, 2015 1:48pm | Post# 636

{quote} Is Currency Strength - Giraia.mq4 still working? cause i tried but the numbers are not changing.
Sorry, but I don't use the indy myself, and since MT4 build 600 I'm no longer undertaking any coding or troubleshooting requests. Perhaps you could try installing only the .ex4 file, as the .mq4 will almost certainly compile with errors in builds later than 509.

hanover May 28, 2015 8:21pm | Post# 637

2 Attachment(s)
{quote} Is Currency Strength - Giraia.mq4 still working? cause i tried but the numbers are not changing.
I changed my mind, and decided to overhaul the code for this indicator (named because it was originally written for giraia_br). Attached is the latest upgrade.

This version compiles with no errors on MT4 build 509, and the ex4 appears to run 100% on both Pepperstone build 745 and AxiTrader build 610.

I recommend installing the .ex4 file only. If you attempt to compile the .mq4 on build 600 or later, you'll likely get errors (more info in this thread). I've included the .mq4 source file only in case another programmer wants to update it, in which case the code libraries that the indy uses can be found in this thread (many thanks to pips4life for upgrading them).

Parameters

string CurrencyPairs = "GU,UF,EU,UJ,UC,NU,AU,AN,AC,AF,AJ,CJ,FJ,EG,EA,EF,EJ,EN,EC,GF,GA,GC,GJ,GN,NJ,NC,CF,NF";
You can specify up to 99 pairs/instruments to be processed, using upper or lowercase symbol names, and separated by commas.
 To save typing, recognized abbreviations are: A = AUD, C = CAD, E = EUR, F = CHF, G = GBP, J = JPY, N = NZD, U = USD, H = HKD, S = SGD, Z = ZAR
 Other symbol IDs must be typed in full
 Default value is the 28 major pairs and crosses
 Instruments not offered by your br0ker will simply be ignored

string CurrencySuffix = "";
Whatever you enter here will be appended to every symbol ID in CurrencyPairs, e.g. entering m will cause EURUSD to become EURUSDm

string TimeFrame = "D1";
Calculations will be based on the rightmost candle (that's currently being built) of the timeframe you specify. Entry may be upper or lowercase.
If setting is left blank, it will default to the timeframe of the current chart

string FontNameAndSize = "Lucida Console,16";
Enter two parameters, separated by a comma.
 The first parameter must be a valid (case sensitive) Windows font name
 The second parameter is the font size that will be used to display the values

string WindowCornerHposVposVspacing = "0,TL,10,20,18"; // Window, Corner, Start Hpos, Start Vpos, Vert Spacing
This determines where on the chart the values will be displayed. Enter 5 parameters, separated by commas:
1. Window#: 0 is the chart window; 1, 2, 3 are the first, second and third sub-windows below the chart, etc
2. Which corner of the window: TL = top left, TR = top right, BL = bottom left, BR = bottom right
3. Starting horizontal position in pixels, relative to the corner
4. Starting vertical position in pixels, relative to the corner
5. Vertical spacing between each row, in pixels (should be greater than the font size)

string OutputFormat = "R3.1";
This is the format that will be used to display the values.
3.1 means display 3 digits to the left of the decimal point, and 1 to the right
R means round the rightmost digit
 More info here -- in the section titled: OutputString = NumberToStr(n,"mask")

string Colors = "99,Red,7.0,Orange,5.0,Yellow,2.0,DodgerBlue,-1"; // e.g. 100 <= Red > 80 etc
This selects the colors that will be used to display the specified ranges of values.
 Parameters must alternate between values and colors, from the highest to lowest value, and all separated by commas
 You can specify up to 19 items, which allows for a maximum of 9 different colors
 Colors must be valid MT4 color tokens (e.g. Violet, LimeGreen, SaddleBrown, DarkSlateGray, etc)
In the default settings shown above, values higher than 7.0 will be displayed in Red, values between 5.0 and 7.0 will be displayed in Orange, values between 2.0 and 5.0 will be displayed in Yellow, values lower than 2.0 will be displayed in DodgerBlue

bool ShowNoOfPairs = false;
Optionally allows the number of component pairs/instruments, that are being averaged to give the strength value, to be displayed alongside in parentheses.

bool SortDescending = true;
The list will sort by ascending order (from lowest to highest) in strength by default. Set this to true to have a descending sort (from highest to lowest).

string RefreshPeriod = "T";
How often you want the values to be recalculated and re-plotted.
T = every new price tick; or specify M1, M5, M15, etc to have the indicator update on the first tick of each new M1, M5, M15 candle etc.

string Visibility = "M1,M5,M15,M30,H1,H4,D1,W1,MN";
The chart timeframes you want the indicator to be visible on.
Currency Strength - Giraia.ex4
Currency Strength - Giraia.mq4

bobzahra May 28, 2015 11:43pm | Post# 638

Thank you Hanover,God bless you!

rapidedward May 29, 2015 3:30am | Post# 639

Thank you

diallist May 29, 2015 3:27pm | Post# 640

@hanover,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
You have made me very happy with your updated indicator. I couldn't use it before because of my broker's suffix.

May God bless you with great abundance and much happiness!

Dial

© Forex Factory