Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Trade Using VSA (Volume Spread Analysis) (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=157629)

glass Mar 25, 2009 8:32pm | Post# 321

tick volume ?

Glass - Tick volume is all that's available for forex, regardless of the indicator. But it's proving to be very reliable with VSA. Concerns over volume varying by broker have also been pretty much laid to rest. If you're using IBFX and their standard volume indicator, along with price action and a knowledge of VSA, you're on solid ground. The custom indicators floating around are interesting, and you might find them helpful at times. But they're not really necessary.

Thanks for the reply . I am running IBFX with volume and have better volume under it , they look the same at least with my very limited experience to date . Thought I read on this thread or maybe the other that someone had called IBFX and FXCM and they claim to have more realistic volume . Just trying to understand everything as best I can . VSA makes perfect sense to me having traded stocks . from banks etc

schwartz Mar 25, 2009 8:44pm | Post# 322

There were several posts where this was discussed. IBFX is the closest broker to have volume like e-signal. That is what Malcomb uses. Then a close second was FXCM. Both of the outfits are STPs so the volume from them is from their providers, not from theirs site. I have confirmed this with them on the phone.

Alapri is not even close nor is FXpro nor any other Market maker where they are not getting the feed direct.

However, having said that, the volume from these other places still does show the general idea, just not the precsision of IBFX...

i have followed this tread from inception with ny.... and i should have rememberd that ... and a special thanks to you as well

Petefaders Mar 25, 2009 8:49pm | Post# 323

chat?

hey guys, if anyone is interested, I have a skype chat going to discuss vsa and trades, so come join. My skype is petefader.

glass Mar 25, 2009 9:05pm | Post# 324

brokers

There were several posts where this was discussed. IBFX is the closest broker to have volume like e-signal. That is what Malcomb uses....
Thanks for making that clear . Glad to have someone with your knowledge
phoning the brokers and asking the right questions . I will stay with IBFX .

Pips_Cruiser Mar 25, 2009 9:14pm | Post# 325

Thanks for the reply . I am running IBFX with volume and have better volume under it , they look the same at least with my very limited experience to date . Thought I read on this thread or maybe the other that someone had called IBFX and FXCM and they claim to have more realistic volume . Just trying to understand everything as best I can . VSA makes perfect sense to me having traded stocks . from banks etc
There was also a visual comparison, and they "won". Of course, a person can always move to esignal if they want. It's still tick volume, and they charge a fee. But it has the best representation (300+ sources). Hope some of this helps. I'm still in the learning stage, trying to put it all together. I'm using IBFX for it.

Shamus Mar 25, 2009 9:29pm | Post# 326

hey guys, if anyone is interested, I have a skype chat going to discuss vsa and trades, so come join. My skype is petefader.

Hey Pete. We have a chat setup (click pancake link in my sig). It's also linked in the first post of this thread. About 70 people chatting at the moment.

megamo Mar 25, 2009 10:36pm | Post# 327

Heads up

Just a note for people using IBFX as their volume feed..

If you are using a demo account, the volume is waaay different than the live accounts over at IBFX. I've just noticed that trying to have a separate demo acct with Ibfx on my 2nd workstation. So use a live account, or go with BROCO trader for the time being, haven't used FXCM demo so I'm not sure if theres a difference with live and demo but broco demo comes closest to the IBFX live.

Ron

tonirai Mar 25, 2009 10:56pm | Post# 328

What megamo tells us is worth being clarified...

I have a live account with Alpari UK, but was planning on maybe using ibfx's demo for the charting, due to the "closest to esignal" volume feed;

But now I'm wondering if that visual comparison was made with the demo or real account feeds?
Anyone knows or remembers?

Anyway, for those having their live accounts elsewhere like myself, suggestions about the more reliable volume feeds on demo accounts (just for charting) would be usefull...

megamo suggests broco demo;
What else? Any ideas?

Mike21 Mar 26, 2009 12:40am | Post# 329

Just a note for people using IBFX as their volume feed..

If you are using a demo account, the volume is waaay different than the live accounts over at IBFX. I've just noticed that trying to have a separate demo acct with Ibfx on my 2nd workstation. So use a live account, or go with BROCO trader for the time being, haven't used FXCM demo so I'm not sure if theres a difference with live and demo but broco demo comes closest to the IBFX live.

Ron
I just put a IBFX demo chart next to a IBFX live chart and the volume is identical. I'm not sure why your's is different.

Shamus Mar 26, 2009 1:02am | Post# 330

I just put a IBFX demo chart next to a IBFX live chart and the volume is identical. I'm not sure why your's is different.
Possibly he was comparing two different time frames?

megamo Mar 26, 2009 1:21am | Post# 331

No didn't compare a 1hr timeframe with a 15 min timeframe. Been around the block longer than to do that ... if anyone likes i can quote you the volume on the live acct and compare with your own demo acct on a 15 min chart or whatever timeframe.

robBroker Mar 26, 2009 1:22am | Post# 332

I had some time ago a simular discussion about the volume from ibfx and ibfx_demo. This user, don't know the name anymore, said also the volume was different. So maybe ibfx uses different feeds SOMETIMES. But that sounds very weird

cheers
robBroker

megamo Mar 26, 2009 1:26am | Post# 333

Well if IBFX is STP, then the live is probably getting volume from the bank feeds directly while the demo which is on a different server might be coming from the desk, thus the change in volume? I'm not sure of the internal architecture over at dealing desks but that may be a possibility. I know in Oanda theres a difference in spreads and price quotes even on live/demo accts, i've witnessed that quite a few times running them simultaneously.

Narrew Mar 26, 2009 1:31am | Post# 334

In NYSE's thread someone mentioned traderschoicefx (havent used them, so am not recommending them or anything)...they have a deal that they will set you up with the e-signal package if you open a $1k account through them with gain (forex.com)...Talked to one of their tecks and he assured me the offer is legit and that there was no minum lots per month that needed to be traded, just keeping the account above 1k...I just opened a live acount with IBFX, so unless I see somethng weird, I am staying where I am at...shrug.

Guess that is an option if someone really wants e-signal.

megamo Mar 26, 2009 1:36am | Post# 335

Narrew, IBFX's liquidity sucks.. on quick moving market, you can't even get in or out of a position and get requoted to death and even when you accept the requote the price still goes invalid. Started ever since the whole liquidity crisis.. Something for you to watch out for.

teodosy87 Mar 26, 2009 1:51am | Post# 336

thanks for the help guys

Narrew Mar 26, 2009 2:06am | Post# 337

1 Attachment(s)
Something else...since another person was seeing a difference between their demo and live account with ibfx, I thought I would check mine (have been in my demo learning vsa and have set my live account aside).

Picture says it all, the demo as you can see is on the right side. The demo is probably correct with the 4 low volume bars (not counting the current bar) but the live account has only 1 with a low churn bar...
From left to right the low volume bars are 79, 74, 72, 72...the live accounts volume for the same bars is 59, 56, 64, 61...shrug

ibfx volume.gif
Click to Enlarge

Name: ibfx volume.gif
Size: 63 KB

Madog Mar 26, 2009 5:25am | Post# 338

1 Attachment(s)
I'm learning too but that's the way I see it. Malcolm will probably yell at me because I missed something critical but that's why he rules. He really is amazing to watch and learn from. If you don't get in the chatroom much you should come in. There are a lot of great traders in there (Malcolm, Islander, Vantage, WallSt, Lubo etc etc. to name just a few... sorry if I missed someone) It makes it much easier to learn when you see the trades unfold in realtime and it's even better when you "see it" and get it right.

Link for...
Shamus

What would be a good 2-3 hour slot to visit the chatroom in terms of activity there? I am on GMT.

Heres another setup I have just taken on demo and would like some feedback on my reasoning.
1.52 has shown some good recent support and the last few bars of low vol test and the large down bar but on lighter vol suggests some upside

Regards

Madog
Click to Enlarge

Name: eurchf.gif
Size: 19 KB

Madog Mar 26, 2009 5:31am | Post# 339

Wow it worked!

1 Attachment(s)
Regards

Madog
Click to Enlarge

Name: eurchf.gif
Size: 19 KB

Shamus Mar 26, 2009 5:43am | Post# 340

Regards

Madog
Nice charts and good setups.

Chat is very active now. nearly 80 people in there ATM.

Also for anyone that plays off DO I posted a nice simple indicator to place the Daily Open line on your chart.

Link is in the first post in the "Resources" Section.

Enjoy.

© Forex Factory