Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   2009.03.11 15:41:15Tester memory handler: tester stopped because not enough memory (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=157594)

Ronald Raygun Mar 11, 2009 7:12pm | Post# 1

2009.03.11 15:41:15Tester memory handler: tester stopped because not enough memory

I'm getting this error code whenever I try one of my massive backtests.

Inserted Code
2009.03.11 15:41:15    Tester memory handler: tester stopped because not enough memory

Any way around that? I already have 16GB of RAM

Rabid Mar 11, 2009 7:55pm | Post# 2

Reduce the size of the data? About the only way I can think of.

Maybe MT4 has a memory limit you can tweak.

kd3726 Mar 12, 2009 2:12pm | Post# 3

how big is the log file? according to this it stays open while the ea runs. http://articles.mql4.com/138

Ronald Raygun Jul 9, 2009 8:04am | Post# 4

How could I limit the log file? Have the EA rewrite it while it runs? Or maybe find the log file in the directory and set it to "Read Only"?

FrinkFX Jul 9, 2009 4:47pm | Post# 5

the log files can grow to 20GB

Ronald Raygun Jul 9, 2009 4:52pm | Post# 6

That doesn't help me...

Take this backtest for example: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=98048

It took 3 days, 16GB of ram, a 3 ghz computer, and an extra 60GB in a paging file, and I still couldn't finish all 6 months of the backtest.

The best solution as I can see it, is to just delete the log file as it grows.

trendchaser Jul 9, 2009 11:17pm | Post# 7

iv noticed a mt4 bug, it seems ram doesnt release, until u exit mt4, so each time i run any test, it consumes new ram, eventually i run out

maybe that bug is effecting you?

FrinkFX Jul 10, 2009 9:18am | Post# 8

That doesn't help me...

Take this backtest for example: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=98048

It took 3 days, 16GB of ram, a 3 ghz computer, and an extra 60GB in a paging file, and I still couldn't finish all 6 months of the backtest.

The best solution as I can see it, is to just delete the log file as it grows.
That's why I hate MT4. Well the strategy tester at least. I think the developers must have added it as an afterthought because it's a horrible horible piece of software.

Ronald Raygun Jul 10, 2009 9:43am | Post# 9

iv noticed a mt4 bug, it seems ram doesnt release, until u exit mt4, so each time i run any test, it consumes new ram, eventually i run out

maybe that bug is effecting you?
It's the first backtest after I open it.

I guess my question is: Where is the expert log file? I'm going to change it to "read-only" and hopefully that fixes my problem.

melpheos Jul 10, 2009 10:27am | Post# 10

I did a backtest 3-4 days ago with more than 10000 possibilities and the test went fine so i would say there is also a relation with the complexity of the EA.

Ronald Raygun Jul 10, 2009 10:38am | Post# 11

The EA isn't complex except in the sense that the orders become so large that they are broken down into 9999-lot sized trades.

The lot requirements can get pretty high, and right before these memory errors pop up, the EA opening and maintaining as many as 5,000 trades.

Rabid Jul 10, 2009 12:49pm | Post# 12

If deleting the log file doesn't help, perhaps you could break the test into 2 time frames?

You're probably running into some kind of compounding problem, perhaps w/ the lots. If you could isolate what element is causing it perhaps you could code around it?

Ronald Raygun Jul 10, 2009 1:02pm | Post# 13

I am definitely running into a compounding problem Rabid. I have a section in the code which limits the lot size, and I have been able to run the EA through all 6 months.

by the end of month 3, the EA is around $150 billion. I figure at that rate of growth, the system can hit as much as 100 trillion by the end of the test. I can't find out until I can run the backtest all the way to the end =D

Rabid Jul 10, 2009 7:30pm | Post# 14

It probably doesn't simulate lots very efficiently. The data structure is probably not optimized well so when you get into a bajillion lots the thing sucks up all your memory trying to keep track of everything.

I've noticed that about MT4 in general, it's a memory hog all around. Just during a normal trade session it routinely sucks up 150mb ram. I'd hate to see what happens when pushed to it's limits.

melpheos Jul 13, 2009 3:15am | Post# 15

I am definitely running into a compounding problem Rabid. I have a section in the code which limits the lot size, and I have been able to run the EA through all 6 months.

by the end of month 3, the EA is around $150 billion. I figure at that rate of growth, the system can hit as much as 100 trillion by the end of the test. I can't find out until I can run the backtest all the way to the end =D
How about sticking with reasonnable lot size as anyway in real life broker will never let you trade above 20 lots without adding crazy spread or increased delay ?

Ronald Raygun Jul 13, 2009 7:44am | Post# 16

Because I'm trying to create an insane backtest (read: greater than 189 billion). Mainly for bragging rights. If a newbie decides to show a backtest saying his/her/it's EA is amazing, I'll show my backtest.

syanwar Jul 13, 2009 8:23am | Post# 17

Because I'm trying to create an insane backtest (read: greater than 189 billion). Mainly for bragging rights. If a newbie decides to show a backtest saying his/her/it's EA is amazing, I'll show my backtest.
Too big issue for a horrible objective RR. I hope you scare those newbies!

good luck and happy trading!

MoForce Jul 18, 2009 11:59pm | Post# 18

Why not trade it for real and become a gazillionaire? Just don't show RBS or they(you)'ll have enough capital to control the markets lol.

Rabid Jul 19, 2009 3:56am | Post# 19

Because it's based entirely on past data, so while it looks perfect in hind-sight it's useless going forward.

Ronald Raygun Jul 19, 2009 9:01am | Post# 20

Why not trade it for real and become a gazillionaire? Just don't show RBS or they(you)'ll have enough capital to control the markets lol.
Plenty of interesting goings-on at RBS, details to follow.

© Forex Factory