Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Platform Tech (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   How to Change Period Separator Times (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=106443)

jattputt Sep 15, 2008 11:16am | Post# 1

How to Change Period Separator Times

1 Attachment(s)
Is there a way to change the period separators in MT4, For Example I want the period Separator to show 8:00 am EST instead of Broker Time (Midnight)
Click to Enlarge

Name: period separator.gif
Size: 13 KB

TJPLD Sep 15, 2008 12:16pm | Post# 2

1 Attachment(s)
Can't be done. Use this indicator instead.
MultiTimeLines.ex4

jattputt Sep 15, 2008 4:45pm | Post# 3

Can't be done. Use this indicator instead.
Thanks Tjpld for your help.

ZenithTrader Jun 25, 2012 4:32pm | Post# 4

Use MnVLine2 indicator to draw custom period separators

2 Attachment(s)
The attached MnVLine2 indicator is also a nice option to use to draw custom period separators on MT4 charts. I use this indicator to set my preferred period separators on my MT4 charts.

Attach the MnVLine2 indicator to a MT4 chart and set the mTime input to your desired offset from 00:00GMT to draw a vertical line "separator" on the chart accordingly.

I turn off "Show Period Separators" in the MT4 chart properties. Then I attach one instance of the indicator to my charts to draw period separators daily at 00:00GMT to establish a 24HR period.

Then I attach two additional instances of the indicator to show US market open and close - e.g. 12:00GMT and 20:00GMT. I configure the US market open to show a green vertical dashed line and the US market close to show a red vertical dashed line.

I configure the mCol2 and mCol3 input setting colors in each instance of the indicator attached to a chart to match my chart background color setting - i.e. black. This configuration causes the additional vertical lines that the indicator will draw to "disappear".

The mHist (bars back history) should be set to your desired period. I set my mHist input to 180 because I primarily trade H4 charts and I only want to see 30 days of the custom period separators drawn on the charts. For me, this also provides an easy way to scroll the chart back to the beginning of any 30-day period.

Make sure the mShowM input is set to "true" in order to display the vertical line.

This indicator is very simple to set up and the vertical line visualization options are numerous.

See the attached chart image for an example.

Hope this info is helpful!

Cheers!

Zenith
Click to Enlarge

Name: MnVLine2-Chart-Example.jpg
Size: 105 KB
Mn VLine2.mq4

ZenithTrader Jun 25, 2012 4:35pm | Post# 5

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry! Better chart example image attached.
Click to Enlarge

Name: MnVLine2-Chart-Example.jpg
Size: 107 KB

Kajoe Mar 4, 2013 4:54pm | Post# 6

Hi Zenith,
I have downloaded your period separator indicator, but cannot install it. It seems to be lacking the .ex4 part of the file.
Can you help?
thanks
Kajoe

cyber1 Mar 4, 2013 8:08pm | Post# 7

Hi Zenith,
I have downloaded your period separator indicator, but cannot install it. It seems to be lacking the .ex4 part of the file.
Can you help?
thanks
Kajoe
Kajoe-
If you have the .mq4 file in Indicators folder then Restart the platform.

Kajoe Mar 5, 2013 12:11am | Post# 8

I have tried that several times but it is not being imported into the indicator list.

Kajoe Mar 5, 2013 12:53am | Post# 9

I have had to clear the cache - and it works. Thanks

jimborders Sep 9, 2014 4:44am | Post# 10

The attached MnVLine2 indicator is also a nice option to use to draw custom period separators on MT4 charts. I use this indicator to set my preferred period separators on my MT4 charts. Attach the MnVLine2 indicator to a MT4 chart and set the mTime input to your desired offset from 00:00GMT to draw a vertical line "separator" on the chart accordingly. I turn off "Show Period Separators" in the MT4 chart properties. Then I attach one instance of the indicator to my charts to draw period separators daily at 00:00GMT to establish a 24HR period. Then...
Thank you very much

chanakam2000 Sep 26, 2014 1:46pm | Post# 11

I want to have a vertical line separator at each 4H boundary.
I want this because I want to see 4H candles starts in 5M chart.
is there a indicator which can draw lines at 4H boundaries.

Thank you !

Gumrai Sep 26, 2014 10:06pm | Post# 12

1 Attachment(s)
I want to have a vertical line separator at each 4H boundary. I want this because I want to see 4H candles starts in 5M chart. is there a indicator which can draw lines at 4H boundaries. Thank you !
Please try this
Period Separator.ex4

chanakam2000 Sep 27, 2014 4:22am | Post# 13

That is exactly I wanted.
Thank you very much Gumrai

kcchan555 Oct 4, 2014 1:07pm | Post# 14

{quote} Please try this {file}

I tried to install on my mt4 but it did not work. May I know what is wrong?

Thanks.

kcchan

Gumrai Oct 4, 2014 5:27pm | Post# 15

{quote} I tried to install on my mt4 but it did not work. May I know what is wrong? Thanks. kcchan
Did you install it in the correct folder?
In MT4 click on File

Then Open Data Folder

Double click MQL4

Double click Indicators

You can then drag the file into this window, restart MT4 and you should be able to use it.

symona Oct 5, 2014 4:05am | Post# 16

Hi Gumrai. I hope all is well.

I have a question regarding the Period Separator. I currently use the Daily Line Boxes by Hanover to draw vertical period lines. What I like about that indicator is that the lines don't draw on the sub-windows(indicator windows). What I don't like is that the lines don't draw as background. Any chance you can help by either modifying yours or Hanover's?

Kindly let me know what you think can be done, if anything.

Cheers, Symona

cja Oct 5, 2014 4:22am | Post# 17

If you have the mq4 file and if the lines are drawn as a using the OBJ_TREND then they can be made background by finding and changing or adding a line of code like this.

Inserted Code
ObjectSet(name, OBJPROP_BACK, true);

Gumrai Oct 5, 2014 4:43am | Post# 18

The lines on my indi are drawn as background.
As the lines are Vertical lines, it seems that even though I specified in the code that they should be drawn on the main chart window, they still extend into sub-windows. I don't think that anything can be done about that.

symona Oct 5, 2014 10:38am | Post# 19

The lines on my indi are drawn as background. As the lines are Vertical lines, it seems that even though I specified in the code that they should be drawn on the main chart window, they still extend into sub-windows. I don't think that anything can be done about that.
Hi guys. Thank you both for your replies. Gumrai, I believe the lines are drawn as cja suggested OBJ_TREND therefore do not extend into the sub-windows. If possible can you or perhaps cja look into modifying yours or Hanover's, I would really appreciate it. Please let me know.

Gumrai Oct 5, 2014 2:01pm | Post# 20

1 Attachment(s)
Changed it, but not really tested it. Should be ok though.
Period SeparatorMainWindow.ex4

© Forex Factory