Forex Factory (https://www.forexfactory.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Content (https://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   7am-9am Big Dog USD Breakout Strategy (https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=103682)

Konstas Sep 21, 2008 8:56pm | Post# 571

i really think it's profitable

To Tdion and Ronald Raygan:

yeah, it seems like it's funny how ppl vote for a system when it's disscused only for 3 weeks. Although, as it was suggested - backtest it and you will see. This is what I did: Back tested it for 2 months on 5 pairs. then forward-tested on demo for a week. and last week traded it live: 4 pairs - 390 pips! (sl30, tp1 - 15, tp2-25 - if you want to know parameters).

Why do people even ask such questions?! just trade it live for $1 per pip, or if you are in doubts then 50c per pip, or if you are scared 20c - and then increase your pip value when you see results.

Good luck everyone!

Big Mike Sep 21, 2008 9:33pm | Post# 572

Good point Konstas, thanks for sharing your data.

dznmrd, good to have you back !

dzmrd and CATGUY, I have a suggestion, if I may: Would you approve a chat for this subject. I offer myself to do it at no cost of course. I also don't want to hack you thread in any way, shape or form. It's just that I think yourthread is mature and would be good to share our live opinions while trades are in progress. I did not know if i could PM you or post it here.

tommyd, lollll for politics. And yes 15 pips goes a long way! Einstein said it: the biggest force in the Universe is compound interest. Many are looking for the grand slam....

Where are Bull, Learner David, Sonic, Ronald Raygun and Thierry89 ?

Cheers,

Big Mike

Ronald Raygun Sep 21, 2008 9:36pm | Post# 573

dznmrd, good to have you back !

dzmrd and CATGUY, I have a suggestion, if I may: Would you approve a chat for this subject. I offer myself to do it at no cost of course. I also don't want to hack you thread in any way, shape or form. It's just that I think yourthread is mature and would be good to share our live opinions while trades are in progress. I did not know if i could PM you or post it here.

tommyd, lollll for politics. And yes 15 pips goes a long way! Einstein said it: the biggest force in the Universe is compound interest. Many are looking for the grand slam....

Cheers,

Big Mike
That's a good question

The Asian breakout looks iffy at best. But to be fair, it's Monday over there.

sonicdeejay Sep 21, 2008 9:52pm | Post# 574

Cheers,

Big Mike

Am here...Still Making HOT DOG wif BIg Dog system,,,
Relax dude,,,it is just monday...and As for Asian session Breakout..? U can forget abt it...

Sonic

Big Mike Sep 21, 2008 9:54pm | Post# 575

Good to see you back Raygun !

Raygun,

I personally almost never trade Asia session. I agree with you for Sunday nights (EDT). It has too many whipsaw, lethargy, reversals, ranges, less correlation, thin market, etc... All enemies of traders. JMHO

Like right now, eur, cable and swissie are not in synch (eur, cable correlation and swissie opposite). That tells me it's sideline time.

Cheers,

BM

yarally Sep 21, 2008 10:32pm | Post# 576

Hi guys, Would it be profitable if you HEDGE the GBP/USD when you set up the 7 to 9am Big Dog USD Breakout Strategy? As soon as you are confident that it is going in a particular direction, you then cancel the other end of the hedge?

WooDex Sep 21, 2008 11:37pm | Post# 577

alert

Hello mates,

I'm not very good on programing, so maybe someone could guide me how to make an alert for GUBreakout, i.e. when the price hits high+offset or low-offset would give alert.

Thank you

Bull Sep 22, 2008 9:35am | Post# 578

I'm back

Cheers,

Big Mike
Hi Mike,

I was out of my city for 2 weeks, now I'm back and happy to see that Big Dog it's reopened.

Bull

azjeff Sep 22, 2008 9:52am | Post# 579

Hello Konstas,

Very nice results. Would you mind telling me what 4 pairs you are trading?

Regards,
Jeff

To Tdion and Ronald Raygan:

yeah, it seems like it's funny how ppl vote for a system when it's disscused only for 3 weeks. Although, as it was suggested - backtest it and you will see. This is what I did: Back tested it for 2 months on 5 pairs. then forward-tested on demo for a week. and last week traded it live: 4 pairs - 390 pips! (sl30, tp1 - 15, tp2-25 - if you want to know parameters).

Why do people even ask such questions?! just trade it live for $1 per pip, or if you are in doubts then 50c per pip, or if you are scared 20c - and then increase your pip value when you see results.

Good luck everyone!

Bull Sep 22, 2008 9:53am | Post# 580

i have a problem whit time...
my broker's watch in GMT(n2trader)...what time in my market watch?!
Hi Napster,

Hope that can help you:

Tokyo: 19:00 to 04:00 EST (NYT);
Tokyo: 00:00 to 09:00 GMT.

London: 03:00 to 12:00 EST (NYT);
London: 08:00 to 17:00 GMT.

US: 08:00 to 17:00 EST (NYT);
US: 13:00 to 22:00 GMT.

Bull

giraia_br Sep 22, 2008 3:58pm | Post# 581

Hi tommyd,

Please forgive me about the post that copied your post...

My intention were not directed to you at all, but for some reason I posted with your post attached to it ! (by the way I did read the whole thread with a partner trader of mine we discuss it since a week...wink)!!!

Please accept my sincere apologies about this confusion. I hope somebody in this thread can edit it.

Ok, here are some thoughts and ideas I would like to share, if I may:
Ex: If you have a $10,000 account:
- Trade maximum 3%-5% of your account (safe to moderate)
- Let's say 5% for this purpose, that would be 5 mini
- With one pair only (CTGUY suggested GU)
- 15 pips a day x 20 trading days in a month, that is 300 pips/month (try to find real strategies that produce 300 CONSISTANT pips per month with low risk and low stress)... stay with me on this...
- 300 x 5 mini = $1,500/month, that is not counting the extras 15 pips at the 30 tp level and 45 tp level and/or the trail for the last level.

Now here is the holy grail I was reffering too in a previous post:

Money Management

Just by compounding that every day, that means you have 100k in 160 trading days. Less than a year for 1000% interest return. And it is legal !

Wait, it get's better: How about 2 pairs and upgrading the risk to 10% (this is high risk, do not attempt that if you are new to trading). 10% is not risky with a 87% winning rate (confirmed by a previous post backtester).
Back to 2 pairs: it will take only 82 trading days to reach 100k.

- I personally don't use sl while I monitor a trade, I just put one for safety reasons (50-100 pips depending on pair volatility), like if I have to leave the screens, even for only a minute, Internet interuption. Get a battery backup, this is a must before even putting 1 penny in live trading.

Just some food for pips !

Cheers,

Big Mike
one of the most famous methods in the Forex Forums at internet was Hans123. Hans is very nice guy that put hard work to test his system and posted it in many many forums.

people got excited with his system/method until beginning of 2007 when many members blew out theirs accounts and even the so called profissionals trading this had huge drawdown, something like 90% or more.

Hans123 breakout was the breakout of the London Session, a Opening Range Breakout like this is.

there are others systema based on ORB that did'nt had sucess. I remember asking Acret about one he made exaustive foward test and was not profitable after months.

i not saying that this method doesnt work. But i would be more carefull about think in use 10% in someting like it.

there are others ORB system in this forum and the pros trade using 1%. They say that trading 3% is enough to broke. And using small stops like 20 pips maximum.

imagine using 10%...

Konstas Sep 22, 2008 7:48pm | Post# 582

pairs i trade

EUR/USD
GBP/USD
USD/CHF
USD/CAD

sl 30
tp1-15
tp2-25

today 7 wins 1 loss = 105 pips.
will do the same tmrw
God bless everyone

i take mine, if i let go today - some pairs would give 200+ pips!!! but I am content with my 40 pips per pair

alishus Sep 22, 2008 9:49pm | Post# 583

HELLO MY FRIEND

Hi,

Everyones sharing such a lot on ForexFactory, I thought i will take the time to share with all too what i have learnt that works.

I just got this idea from a friend, who gets this idea from another. (nerd)
We called it the Big Dog 1400-1600 USD Breakout Strategy. (Around US OPEN)

Its a simple strategy. You need not have any indicator, just the default ones found in your metatrader.

Daily Profit Potentials: Around 30-50pips +

All you need to do is the following:-

1. Pull out a M15 Chart for a USD Major pair, example like GBPUSD.
2. Draw a vertical line at 14:00 time on your Chart.
3. Draw a vertical line at 16:00 time on your Chart.
4. Draw a Horizontal line at the high of candles/bars in between the vertical
line.
5. Draw a Horizontal line at the Low of candles/bars in between the vertical
line.

Thats it, Simply put a buy stop at the high and sell stop at the low with stoploss at the low (If your buying) and stoploss at the high (If your selling).

Ideal Targets: Around 30-50pips or no targets if you think it can go more

Trailing Stop of 15pips, if your using metatrader.

Example screen.
Attachment 144295
You can also check historical records and see its very profitable!!

Some points to note:

1. There are only 9 candles/bars in the 15 minute chart, between 1400-1600.
2. If the Distance between the high and low is less than 50-60 pips, it could be very profitable.
3. If the Distance between the high and low is more than 50-60 pips, it could be not very profitable.
4. If the price doesn't break the high/low, its a ranging market.
5. The USD news are usually released around or after the 14:00-16:00 phase.
6. The signals are only valid for the current day, Next day u again need to wait for the 1400-1600 time and 9 candles again.

*THE TIMEZONE IS BETWEEN 7AM-9AM New york Time*

#Custom Indicator#
Attachment 144494
Attachment 149930 (New Version)
New version of breakout indicator (Thanks to andee)

Now you can plot more breakouts on the chart, like London breakout, Asian Breakout, US breakout ect. Just change the magic number in the indicator for each breakout you wish to plot.

input what gmt_shift of your broker
Mulai = start,
Akhir = end,
Jumlah_Hari = number of day you want to display the indicator.

Forex market timez
http://www.2008.worldmarkethours.com/Forex/index.htm

Thats all about this strategy and good luck to everyone.
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TIME IS MORE IMPORTANT TO CHOOSE,14:00 TO
16:00 OR 7 AM TO 9 AM NEW YORK TIME,BEACAUSE I HAVE SOME PROBLEM
TO ADJUST THIS TIMES TO MY META TRADE PLATFORM,FOR ME IS GING TO BE 13:00 TO 15:00 GMT BASED ON MY LOCAL TIME AND NEW YORK TIME,IT DOES MATTER?PLEASE HELP ME.
REGARD

plind Sep 22, 2008 10:00pm | Post# 584

Setting Time

In the AM @ 7AM ET click on the Market watch drop down and see the time. (very top) Set that time as your start time and two hrs later as end time. Then you are in business. After the two hrs watch for breakout of H or L and enter according to rules.

Pipologist99 Sep 23, 2008 8:57am | Post# 585

Is anybody watching the box on gbpusd? Any thoughts on which way its gonna break?

© Forex Factory